HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

prospects who make it or don't

Old
04-11-2013, 08:50 AM
jessejames

vCash: 500
prospects who make it or don't

Unsure of what heading to give this, so sorry if it's misleading.

Anyway, what I want to ask is this: What young players upon your first viewings gave you promise of their becoming pretty good but then didn't -- or conversely, what players did you first think wouldn't develop into much but did? Let's keep it mostly to Blues' players.

I had high hopes for Tony Hrkac, but those were based largely upon his college numbers. He never impressed me too much with the Blues, as he looked slow to me. I didn't see that much of him though, not like some of you people probably did.

Another player from the Hrkac era who didn't do too much with the Blues, but flourished after, was Cliff Ronning. The Blues management handled him wrong.

jessejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 09:12 AM
erderuft

David Perron. I really thought that was a miss for the Blues. Was totally shocked when he made the team out of his first training camp. Remember there were talks about him being a diva, egoistic, not a hard worker etc?

Very glad I was wrong about him.

erderuft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 09:13 AM
Polaris
Cold as Ice

I honestly thought Hannu Toivonen was going to eventually bloom into our goalie of the future. He had some pretty decent stats to begin the '07-'08 season, but then the Blues were handed one of their semi-regular ass beatings by the Avalanche - pretty sure they hung about 7 or 8 goals on us - and Hannu never seemed to mentally recover from it.

Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 09:20 AM
Vladys Gumption
Trap City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
I honestly thought Hannu Toivonen was going to eventually bloom into our goalie of the future. He had some pretty decent stats to begin the '07-'08 season, but then the Blues were handed one of their semi-regular ass beatings by the Avalanche - pretty sure they hung about 7 or 8 goals on us - and Hannu never seemed to mentally recover from it.
I second this. If I recall correctly? He was great to start that year too. Put up good numbers until that slaughter in Colorado and he completely lost his game.

Vladys Gumption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 09:47 AM
Polaris
Cold as Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue247 View Post
I second this. If I recall correctly? He was great to start that year too. Put up good numbers until that slaughter in Colorado and he completely lost his game.
I want to say he was rocking somewhere close to a .920 save percentage and a winning record going into that game. I kinda always resented the rest of the team for hanging him out to dry like that, but in the end it was just proof that he was too mentally fragile to handle a starting gig in the NHL (or even a backup role, as time has proven).

Oh, and to throw something in on the positive side of things, I never expected David Backes to evolve into a top-six center who could notch 30 goals and play Selke caliber defense. Watching him when he first came up to the big club, I expected him to maybe hang on as a third line grinder who could pop in 15 or so goals in a good year. I don't believe I had started lurking HFboards at the time, so I don't know what his potential actually was at the time.

Old
04-11-2013, 10:50 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
I want to say he was rocking somewhere close to a .920 save percentage and a winning record going into that game. I kinda always resented the rest of the team for hanging him out to dry like that, but in the end it was just proof that he was too mentally fragile to handle a starting gig in the NHL (or even a backup role, as time has proven).

Oh, and to throw something in on the positive side of things, I never expected David Backes to evolve into a top-six center who could notch 30 goals and play Selke caliber defense. Watching him when he first came up to the big club, I expected him to maybe hang on as a third line grinder who could pop in 15 or so goals in a good year. I don't believe I had started lurking HFboards at the time, so I don't know what his potential actually was at the time.
I remember thinking when Backes was a rookie that he had the least potential of the kids on the Kid Line 1.0 (Stempniak/McClemment/Backes, not to be confused with the Kid Line 2.0 of Perron/Berglund/Oshie).

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 11:02 AM
SirPaste

vCash: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by erderuft View Post
David Perron. I really thought that was a miss for the Blues. Was totally shocked when he made the team out of his first training camp. Remember there were talks about him being a diva, egoistic, not a hard worker etc?

Very glad I was wrong about him.
Those are kinda true

SirPaste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 11:17 AM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

Marek Schwarz was one for sure, as was Steve Wagner.

Daley Tarasenkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 11:50 AM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

I thought Berglund was going to be our number one center for years to come. Boy was I disappointed.

Oberyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:28 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Rod Brind A'mour was a Blues big time miss for Ron Sutter.

Steve Staios carved out far more of a career than I ever would've given him credit for.

Christian Backman didn't quite come to be what we expected.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:35 PM
BadgersandBlues

Peter Sejna for me. Big college scorer and I still remember vividly that goal he scored against Patrick Roy in his first NHL game. I thought that guy was going to murder NHL goalies. Ah well!

BadgersandBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:51 PM
Steve Doan
RIP Oscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
I remember thinking when Backes was a rookie that he had the least potential of the kids on the Kid Line 1.0 (Stempniak/McClemment/Backes, not to be confused with the Kid Line 2.0 of Perron/Berglund/Oshie).
First time ive heard someone describe stepniak-mclement-backes as a "kid line" . Did I miss like a year of blues hockey or something?

Steve Doan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 01:06 PM
Vladys Gumption
Trap City

Quote:

Yea Hannu had all the physical tools to be a starter, but he had the mental toughness of a five year old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by your jaskin too much View Post
Marek Schwarz was one for sure, as was Steve Wagner.
Holy cow, I totally forgot about both of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve French View Post
First time ive heard someone describe stepniak-mclement-backes as a "kid line" . Did I miss like a year of blues hockey or something?
Yea that was the 05-06. Painful year that was. I remember being at a game where the announced attendance was 11,000, when in reality it was about 4,500.

Vladys Gumption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 02:46 PM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve French View Post
This.

A little history lesson youngsters : The Blues "Kid Line" back in the day was Federko, Sutter, and Babych ( who replaced Bourbinas ) in ther 1978-1979 season.

Anyway, Keith Osbourne ( Blues could have drafted Joe Sakic in 1st round in 1987 ) & Marek Schwarz ( Current Canucks Goalie Corey Schnieder was available ) come to mind.

Last edited by JustOneB4IDie: 04-11-2013 at 02:53 PM.
JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 02:48 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 857
Timofei Shishkanov...

He scored a great goal down the side, and well that was about it.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 03:19 PM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

Stempniak-McClement-Backes was the kid line to me aswell, remember calling them that over on LGB many times(As did others).

The dark days, but man was it worth it.

Curtis Sanford was one for me. He came up from the AHL that time and I remember him playing pretty well, well enough to get mentioned in the Hockey News.

Our history is filled with goalies who we thought could be studs for us but dropped off or dissapeared.

Use the Schwartz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 03:36 PM
Bluesman91

Peter Cajenek for me.

Bluesman91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 03:39 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
Peter Cajenek for me.
Dude was a good player. Did you think he'd be even better or that he'd stick around?

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 03:54 PM
Bluesman91

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
Dude was a good player. Did you think he'd be even better or that he'd stick around?
I was much younger when he was around, but I remember his speed and he had some decent hands. He had good skills, he was fast and had some decent hands. I just think he couldn't adjust to the NA style of play. When I was little I had an Al jersey and a Cajanek jersey.

Bluesman91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 05:58 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Don't forget the great Russian experiment...

Korolev
Karamnov
Prokorov

other promising flops
Colin Hemingway
Denny Felsner

The one who got away....
Risto Siltanen he was a machine for about 5 years on the PP.

The one who got away for nothing...then came back
Paul MacLean

Old
04-11-2013, 06:23 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Coleman View Post
Stempniak-McClement-Backes was the kid line to me aswell, remember calling them that over on LGB many times(As did others).

The dark days, but man was it worth it.

Curtis Sanford was one for me. He came up from the AHL that time and I remember him playing pretty well, well enough to get mentioned in the Hockey News.

Our history is filled with goalies who we thought could be studs for us but dropped off or dissapeared.
Sanford was okay...mostly I loved him for him making it his personal mission to beat the Canucks. I lived upon Canuck fans' tears for some time.

Multimoodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 06:42 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

Peter Smerk. - I cannot describe how upset I was when he was traded for Gusarov.

Multimoodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 11:04 PM
Polaris
Cold as Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
Peter Cajenek for me.
He put up some halfway decent stats, I've always wondered why the Blues never retained him for a couple more years, especially since the team wasn't exactly knee-deep in top six forwards at the time. Did he have an attitude problem of some sort? Defensively lacking? Lazy? Andy Murray doghouse'd?

I feel like he just fell off the map completely.

Old
04-12-2013, 07:13 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
He put up some halfway decent stats, I've always wondered why the Blues never retained him for a couple more years, especially since the team wasn't exactly knee-deep in top six forwards at the time. Did he have an attitude problem of some sort? Defensively lacking? Lazy? Andy Murray doghouse'd?

I feel like he just fell off the map completely.
Remember he was 27 years old as a rookie and already made his mark in the Czech league. If I'm him, then I bail back home where I'm a star at the tail end of my career. Less physical in Czech league... Probably makes more money there and wasn't going to put up with all the garbage here. I don't really know what else you could ask Cajanek to do. Give him somebody to pass to. How do you get 30 assists with 1 20 goal scorer? Have to be pretty good.....

Old
04-12-2013, 08:21 AM
HockeyGuy73

vCash: 50
Cody Rudkowsky. I thought for sure he was going to be the guy to lead us to the promised land.

HockeyGuy73 is offline   Reply With Quote