HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Danny Briere: activated Apr. 11 (concussion Mar. 25); Q and A article Apr. 11

Old
04-09-2013, 01:06 PM
SuchySays

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
This fanbase is very bipolar.

Remember when everyone wanted to trade Hartnell for a bag of pucks two years ago?
The next season he put up 37 goals and everyone wanted him resigned. And now he sucks again (after getting hurt and missing for a month, but who cares?).

Maybe Briere can find the right response and bounce back next season...
Briere was really bad last year too though

SuchySays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:11 PM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

vCash: 500
Regardless of a bounce back next year, Briere is the exact opposite of what this teams needs right now.

He's gotta go

StevensCakeBakerBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:56 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
This fanbase is very bipolar.

Remember when everyone wanted to trade Hartnell for a bag of pucks two years ago?
The next season he put up 37 goals and everyone wanted him resigned. And now he sucks again (after getting hurt and missing for a month, but who cares?).

Maybe Briere can find the right response and bounce back next season...
He's going to take up 10% of the Flyer's cap next year if he isn't traded or bought out.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 02:22 PM
buff

I hope he can return this week end... And I hope he can show to all of us he remain a clutch player !!!

buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 04:46 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

ive noticed no drop off without him.
and, we had our longest win streak without him.

buh, bye

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 04:56 PM
Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
ive noticed no drop off without him.
and, we had our longest win streak without him.

buh, bye
hockey . . is a TEAM game

It is more than ONE PLAYER

I would have thought you of all people know that.

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 05:08 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
agreed. i dont think this team misses him

Old
04-09-2013, 05:19 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post

It is more than ONE PLAYER

I would have thought you of all people know that.
Briere provides skills that are not of team. Sit him the rest of the year and buyout or trade his ass

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 03:08 PM
Bernie 1 Parent

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevensCakeBakerBacker View Post
He had some good goals, but you act like he was the savior for this club. The team owes him a paycheck, that's it.

The hate is because he has sucked for two years, ruined every line he was put on and got hurt a trade DL. I will loathe Briere if he doesn't get healthy enough to be bought out.

If the things in this thread (he's a faker) make you sick than you should just stay off the internet. The dude got paid $6.5mill/yr (average) and he is literally sinking the team.

The team owes the fans, not Briere.
I think that Briere should be bought out. But the downright hate from this fan base is ridiculous. If we somehow magically made the playoffs this year and Briere scores in game 1 then everyone will be back on the Briere bandwagon.

Bernie 1 Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 03:23 PM
MayonnaiseOreo

Briere just isn't one of those guys that can be effective as he gets older because you can't move him to the third or fourth line since he doesn't have the body nor playing style for that game. I'd keep him for cheap but I don't see where he'd fit in. I love Danny Briere but do agree that he should probably go. I hate having to hate him when I see him sucking out there. I'd rather him not leave with a bad opinion of him.

MayonnaiseOreo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 03:43 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

im happy if he's healthy ... allows us to buy him out

Old
04-10-2013, 04:30 PM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie 1 Parent View Post
I think that Briere should be bought out. But the downright hate from this fan base is ridiculous. If we somehow magically made the playoffs this year and Briere scores in game 1 then everyone will be back on the Briere bandwagon.
Are we playing "what if", or are we basing our opinions on reality?

Also, I'd argue that it's not hate fans are displaying. I don't hate Briere as a person (I don't even know him) but I sure as hell don't like him being on this Flyers team.

StevensCakeBakerBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 04:40 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie 1 Parent View Post
Depends, is he also responsible for allowing a goal against?

I know +/- is an incredibly flawed stat, but how do manage a PPG pace while also being a career -9?

The Danny "bandwagon" was never as full as you imply here. Many of us have always been critical of his play and wondered whether the offensive production made up for the awful defense--but most were inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt as long as he was producing at least a little because he was, by all accounts, a stellar teammate and role model for the younger players away from the ice.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 04:40 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

im sure hes a nice guy & i feel bad he got divorced, glad he was OK after the car accident ...

but, this team will not miss him one bit

Old
04-11-2013, 09:33 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 750
Update: Not expected to play tonight (Apr. 11).

Could play this weekend.
----------------------------------------------------------

Q and A with Randy Miller:

Quote:
Here's what Briere, who has 5 goals and 13 points in 26 games this season, had to say about his health, being forced to switch positions this season and his future in Philadelphia:
http://www.courierpostonline.com/art...Flyers-amnesty

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 04-11-2013 at 12:52 PM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 01:04 PM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Update: Not expected to play tonight (Apr. 11).

Could play this weekend.
----------------------------------------------------------

Q and A with Randy Miller:

http://www.courierpostonline.com/art...Flyers-amnesty
A few standouts from this interview:

Quote:
"Yeah, definitely. It's reality. There's no doubt about it. But at the same time, those are things that I can't control at this moment. All I can control is for me to come back in the lineup and play as good as I can to show them. Other than that, I can't worry about injuries. I can't worry about what they're going to decide to do. That's out of my control at this point."
Attention Ilya Bryzgalov: This is how you phrase it.

Quote:
Q: You do know that the salary cap is dropping next season and you have a high salary?
Am I the only one in thinking what a ridiculous question this is? "Hey, Dan, since you're way overpaid, do you think the Flyers will kick your sorry butt to the curb for some cap relief?"

I do like Miller's "Amnesty: unfair?" question. But I hate when a reporter belabours a point ie, centre or wing to where it is just rude.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 01:24 PM
Curufinwe

Briere is a class guy, and but for Leighton could have been a Conn Smythe winner. I wish him well on his new team next season.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 01:27 PM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
A few standouts from this interview:

Am I the only one in thinking what a ridiculous question this is? "Hey, Dan, since you're way overpaid, do you think the Flyers will kick your sorry butt to the curb for some cap relief?"

I do like Miller's "Amnesty: unfair?" question. But I hate when a reporter belabours a point ie, centre or wing to where it is just rude.
its called a baiting question. Reporters everywhere do it. A portion of the answer is then taken out of context.
Never heard of a reporter caring on whether a question is unfair or not.

GoneFullHolmgren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 02:32 PM
WeekendAtBernies

I still want Briere bought out at the end of the season, but maybe before he goes he can teach Bryz a thing or two about how to respond to interview questions.

Briere is all class and despite being asked tough questions in that interview, he responded in a way that paints both himself and the Flyers organization in a positive light. There's not a single quote there you could take in context or out of context to try and create some controversy. If you're going to speak to the media and agree to answer questions like this, that's how you have to respond.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 02:40 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
I still want Briere bought out at the end of the season, but maybe before he goes he can teach Bryz a thing or two about how to respond to interview questions.

Briere is all class and despite being asked tough questions in that interview, he responded in a way that paints both himself and the Flyers organization in a positive light. There's not a single quote there you could take in context or out of context to try and create some controversy. If you're going to speak to the media and agree to answer questions like this, that's how you have to respond.
I've always been impressed by the way he speaks to the media even though I've never been a huge fan of his playing style. He answered the questions the right way.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 02:44 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
i'm sure if Danny gave his answer in Russian, it would come off a bit different, especially to those who want a controversy

Old
04-11-2013, 02:59 PM
Ryker

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
I've always been impressed by the way he speaks to the media even though I've never been a huge fan of his playing style. He answered the questions the right way.
True, but I'll take content over form any day. Not saying Bryz is currently delivering the content we want, but, personally, I hate prettied-up and "correct" answers. Just say what you think. Otherwise, all interviews just end up being the same. Maybe that's why I don't really follow all the blogs and daily updates from the beat writers, it's the same stuff every day.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 04:56 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:

Huh? Briere's was worse. He basically said 'Yeah I'm have a crappy year, but that's because I'm pouting because I can't play centre."

The fact is, he can't check the position any better than he can guard a point man as a winger. I hope he finds someone who will play him at centre and make him happy next year. We don't need him at centre and he clearly doesn't want to play wing.

I would have him report fit to play. Then get a documented second opinion that he's healthy. Dress him for a game, but sit him on the bench. Then send him home for the season so he can't get re-injured. Then amnesty him the first second I could. About ten minutes after the last game, if possible, with the paperwork sitting in the fax ready to push 'send.'

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 05:04 PM
BillDineen

Can someone punch Randy Miller in the face please? "What do you tell your kids?" What kind of question is that. Is that journalism? I think Briere is overpaid for what he brings at this point, but have some common decency please.

BillDineen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 05:15 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Danny should just be a sport and waive his NMC.

Sniped is online now   Reply With Quote