HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thoughts and prayers.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-11-2013, 01:21 PM
  #851
slip
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 11,081
vCash: 500
This thread is nowhere close to dying. It's the Hyman Roth thread.

slip is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 01:22 PM
  #852
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 42,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
This thread is nowhere close to dying. It's the Hyman Roth thread.
Or perhaps the Lightning Lord thread? And Afino is clearly Thoros of Myr.

New Sabres Captain is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 01:39 PM
  #853
Crazy Tasty
Registered User
 
Crazy Tasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Indiana
Country: United States
Posts: 4,818
vCash: 500
So I found a gorgeous stone from a wholesaler that I thought would be great for an engagement ring.
Turns out that I got a really great deal after I went and had it assessed!! Score!

Crazy Tasty is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 01:39 PM
  #854
Clock
Registered User
 
Clock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 22,061
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
This thread is nowhere close to dying. It's the Hyman Roth thread.
Don't worry, Roth eventually dropped.

Clock is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 01:48 PM
  #855
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah
 
Mike McDermott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lockport
Country: United States
Posts: 13,477
vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Spoil:
I am here to serve.
Odd... The first spoil tag worked for mobile but neither of your did.

Mike McDermott is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 01:52 PM
  #856
aceface33
Registered User
 
aceface33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Herkimer, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,210
vCash: 500
~memento mori~

aceface33 is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 01:55 PM
  #857
Duddy
Everyday is
 
Duddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Austria
Posts: 10,776
vCash: 50
to beat a nearly dead horse

*beat*

Duddy is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 01:59 PM
  #858
GIN ANTONIC
Registered User
 
GIN ANTONIC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,401
vCash: 500
Hey all,

I posted this in the 'Visiting Buffalo Thread' but not sure if you guys check that super often... Canes fan coming in peace!

Me and the GF are doing a little trip to Buffalo/Niagara from May 7-9. She lives in Vancouver, I live in Toronto so she is coming to visit for a week. We decided to go to Buffalo and area for a couple days for shopping and neither of us have really checked out that region too much. I've been to Niagara a bunch and while it is nice to look at, it's a little boring. Always wanted to check out the sights and scene of Downtown Buffalo as I figured there's probably some great gems that are just overlooked.

We are staying at Salvatore's Garden Place Hotel, in Williamsville because apparently it is nice and romantic and we got a good deal on it. http://www.salvatores.net/

She wants to hit the Walden Galleria and Fashion Outlets Niagara. But we wanted to roam around downtown a bit, hit some nice bars and restaurants. Any suggestions for areas or places to go? We will have a car, obviously so transportation is not an issue. I guess a bit more date friendly or anything quirky, different or a Buffalo/WNY staple would be great to.

I'm reading through some of the other food threads on here but they date back a ways so I don't know how current some of that info is. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

GIN ANTONIC is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 02:18 PM
  #859
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity
 
HockeyH3aven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Buffalo NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,230
vCash: 500
I'd highly recommend going to the Fuji Grille at least one night for dinner (736 Maple Rd, Willamsville, NY). It's a pretty fun and unique restaurant experience, but I wouldn't recommend it if you aren't big drinkers or are die-hard introverts. The dinners there essentially turn into bachlor/ette parties, just with no nudity. The more people you take the better it gets.

As for bars, you can't beat Allentown and Elmwood. My personal favorites are Brick-bar and Gabriel's gate (the latter has awesome chicken wings).

If you're into quirky/weird stuff I'd recommend Vera (http://www.verapizzeria.com/). It's on Lexington between Elmwood & Richmond in Allentown. They have some cool gourmet pizzas and the best soup I've ever had in life my (loaded potato with truffle oil). The drinks there are all bourbon/whiskey sours that have special "names", you can't order Jack&Coke or Citron&7 like at a normal bar. Be wary that the drinks are pretty small and cost $10 a piece, but they do make their own bitters and use all of sorts of crazy ****. Doesn't do it for me but it's pretty popular and everybody should go there once.

Since you're staying at Salvatore's I'm assuming you'll be eating there at least once. Definitely a safe bet: it's my favorite restaurant in the Buffalo area.

I would steer you away from Anchor Bar unless you like being let-down. Their wings are average (as is the rest of the food), the location is kind of run-down and the inside of the restaurant itself is pretty unimpressive.

HockeyH3aven is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 02:41 PM
  #860
GIN ANTONIC
Registered User
 
GIN ANTONIC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,401
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
I'd highly recommend going to the Fuji Grille at least one night for dinner (736 Maple Rd, Willamsville, NY). It's a pretty fun and unique restaurant experience, but I wouldn't recommend it if you aren't big drinkers or are die-hard introverts. The dinners there essentially turn into bachlor/ette parties, just with no nudity. The more people you take the better it gets.

As for bars, you can't beat Allentown and Elmwood. My personal favorites are Brick-bar and Gabriel's gate (the latter has awesome chicken wings).

If you're into quirky/weird stuff I'd recommend Vera (http://www.verapizzeria.com/). It's on Lexington between Elmwood & Richmond in Allentown. They have some cool gourmet pizzas and the best soup I've ever had in life my (loaded potato with truffle oil). The drinks there are all bourbon/whiskey sours that have special "names", you can't order Jack&Coke or Citron&7 like at a normal bar. Be wary that the drinks are pretty small and cost $10 a piece, but they do make their own bitters and use all of sorts of crazy ****. Doesn't do it for me but it's pretty popular and everybody should go there once.

Since you're staying at Salvatore's I'm assuming you'll be eating there at least once. Definitely a safe bet: it's my favorite restaurant in the Buffalo area.

I would steer you away from Anchor Bar unless you like being let-down. Their wings are average (as is the rest of the food), the location is kind of run-down and the inside of the restaurant itself is pretty unimpressive.
Thanks HockeyH3aven!

We have a 20.00 coupon for Salvatore's restaurant. The menu looks great but it is a bit pricey even still since we're trying to do this on a budget considering her flight out here was like 500.00. So maybe we'll do that for a lunch. She loves Japanese and Sushi and she was researching that Buffalo had some good spots so Fuji Grille is definitely a place we will try to check out.

She's big into walking, so If Elmwood and Allentown are a little more dense in terms of bars and little shops and stuff that would be nice. Was thinking of maybe going to Tiff Nature Preserve? Maybe a picnic or something like that if the weather is nice.

I've been to Anchor Bar before and found it 'ok' but nothing great. I do love wings and southern food so any suggestions would be great. She's a bit of a health nut so I don't know if she'll go for it but I'm the one driving so she'll have to deal with it.

GIN ANTONIC is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 03:00 PM
  #861
Crazy Tasty
Registered User
 
Crazy Tasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Indiana
Country: United States
Posts: 4,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIN ANTONIC View Post
Thanks HockeyH3aven!

We have a 20.00 coupon for Salvatore's restaurant. The menu looks great but it is a bit pricey even still since we're trying to do this on a budget considering her flight out here was like 500.00. So maybe we'll do that for a lunch. She loves Japanese and Sushi and she was researching that Buffalo had some good spots so Fuji Grille is definitely a place we will try to check out.

She's big into walking, so If Elmwood and Allentown are a little more dense in terms of bars and little shops and stuff that would be nice. Was thinking of maybe going to Tiff Nature Preserve? Maybe a picnic or something like that if the weather is nice.

I've been to Anchor Bar before and found it 'ok' but nothing great. I do love wings and southern food so any suggestions would be great. She's a bit of a health nut so I don't know if she'll go for it but I'm the one driving so she'll have to deal with it.
Early May? It will probably snow...

Just kidding! (kinda)

Crazy Tasty is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 03:21 PM
  #862
GIN ANTONIC
Registered User
 
GIN ANTONIC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,401
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Tasty View Post
Early May? It will probably snow...

Just kidding! (kinda)
Lol. I hear you. We just had a crazy snowstorm in Toronto today after a few nice days of weather. FU southern ontario!!!

GIN ANTONIC is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 03:31 PM
  #863
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 64,667
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIN ANTONIC View Post
Thanks HockeyH3aven!

We have a 20.00 coupon for Salvatore's restaurant. The menu looks great but it is a bit pricey even still since we're trying to do this on a budget considering her flight out here was like 500.00. So maybe we'll do that for a lunch. She loves Japanese and Sushi and she was researching that Buffalo had some good spots so Fuji Grille is definitely a place we will try to check out.

She's big into walking, so If Elmwood and Allentown are a little more dense in terms of bars and little shops and stuff that would be nice. Was thinking of maybe going to Tiff Nature Preserve? Maybe a picnic or something like that if the weather is nice.

I've been to Anchor Bar before and found it 'ok' but nothing great. I do love wings and southern food so any suggestions would be great. She's a bit of a health nut so I don't know if she'll go for it but I'm the one driving so she'll have to deal with it.
If you are looking for some trusted voices for culinary guidance, check out: http://blogs.buffalonews.com/hungryformore/

It's the one thing in the News that I trust.

Another that I don't always agree with but has multiple reviewers so a broader range of tastes are considered is here: http://www.cse.buffalo.edu/restaurant.guide/

Hertel Ave has a number of good, and often smaller restaurants as well as the Elmwood and Allen areas. "Health nut" and "Buffalo cuisine" are usually not part of the same sentence, but there are plenty of places out there. Lunch-wise, I'm a big fan of the Globe Market on Elmwood. Seabar is good, although I'm often left feeling like I'm missing *just* something. Break'n'eggs on Main in Amherst is a crepery, recently opened that has a number of tasty things -- I can recommend the tenderloin crepe as well as the bacon-chicken-cheddar one. Butterwood in the newly remodeled Hotel Lafayette. Mike A's and the Pan-American Grille are there as well, haven't eaten in Mike A's yet and the Pan-Am is ok. If you can twist her arm a bit, Grover's on Transit (about 15 minutes up the road from where you are staying, or less if you make a few lights) has some dynamite burgers.

I'm not big on nightlife -- 2 kids under 10 will do that. The Albright-Knox has free admission on Friday's and there is a bar -- you can have a few, then walk around and look at the art.

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 03:50 PM
  #864
Duddy
Everyday is
 
Duddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Austria
Posts: 10,776
vCash: 50
Let's talk about a more important topic, let's talk about shake weights.


only one question: why?

Duddy is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 04:35 PM
  #865
Afino
The Juice
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Orchard Park, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 23,861
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
Let's talk about a more important topic, let's talk about shake weights.


only one question: why?
They're practice.

Afino is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 05:55 PM
  #866
vcv
Deal with it
 
vcv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Williamsville, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,220
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
I'd highly recommend going to the Fuji Grille at least one night for dinner (736 Maple Rd, Willamsville, NY). It's a pretty fun and unique restaurant experience, but I wouldn't recommend it if you aren't big drinkers or are die-hard introverts. The dinners there essentially turn into bachlor/ette parties, just with no nudity. The more people you take the better it gets.
Wat? I went there once with a group of 6 and am very confused by this claim...

vcv is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 05:59 PM
  #867
GIN ANTONIC
Registered User
 
GIN ANTONIC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,401
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
If you are looking for some trusted voices for culinary guidance, check out: http://blogs.buffalonews.com/hungryformore/

It's the one thing in the News that I trust.

Another that I don't always agree with but has multiple reviewers so a broader range of tastes are considered is here: http://www.cse.buffalo.edu/restaurant.guide/

Hertel Ave has a number of good, and often smaller restaurants as well as the Elmwood and Allen areas. "Health nut" and "Buffalo cuisine" are usually not part of the same sentence, but there are plenty of places out there. Lunch-wise, I'm a big fan of the Globe Market on Elmwood. Seabar is good, although I'm often left feeling like I'm missing *just* something. Break'n'eggs on Main in Amherst is a crepery, recently opened that has a number of tasty things -- I can recommend the tenderloin crepe as well as the bacon-chicken-cheddar one. Butterwood in the newly remodeled Hotel Lafayette. Mike A's and the Pan-American Grille are there as well, haven't eaten in Mike A's yet and the Pan-Am is ok. If you can twist her arm a bit, Grover's on Transit (about 15 minutes up the road from where you are staying, or less if you make a few lights) has some dynamite burgers.

I'm not big on nightlife -- 2 kids under 10 will do that. The Albright-Knox has free admission on Friday's and there is a bar -- you can have a few, then walk around and look at the art.
Thanks for the tips. I will definitely check those out. She likes to be healthy when she's at home but she will definitely let loose a bit. We l;ike to have a good time and go out for druinks but since it's just the two of us I don't see us going to crazy. Save that for the hotel room

We're only going from a tuesday to thursday but an art exhibit with booze might be neat. Either way it should be a good time. I'm gonna try to sneak in a trip to Ted's and Anderson's too if I can!

GIN ANTONIC is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 06:07 PM
  #868
Myllz
#justbogothings
 
Myllz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 17,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
Wat? I went there once with a group of 6 and am very confused by this claim...
I was thinking the same thing. I've been to multiple hibachi places, including Fuji Grill, and I had no idea what he was talking about.

Myllz is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 06:12 PM
  #869
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity
 
HockeyH3aven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Buffalo NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,230
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
Wat? I went there once with a group of 6 and am very confused by this claim...
Maybe my experience was just an outlier.

I went to the Fuji Grill in Blasdell with a party of 6. We were in a small room with another table that had about 8 people. Both of our cooks were very....talkative. Constantly cracking jokes about guests, lots of sexual jokes/innuendos, pushing and goading them into chugging saki from that damn squirt bottle. They were especially aggressive towards the females in both parties.

Could just be I by the luck of the draw got two of the colorful cooks, but that's how my trip went down. I guess maybe if you're super relaxed and just nod and say no to everything it might be pretty tame.

HockeyH3aven is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 06:29 PM
  #870
BackGroundMusic
hoc quoque finiet
 
BackGroundMusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Germany
Posts: 25,297
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
Let's talk about a more important topic, let's talk about shake weights.


only one question: why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afino View Post
They're practice.
See, Duddy? I told you!

BackGroundMusic is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 07:48 PM
  #871
BackGroundMusic
hoc quoque finiet
 
BackGroundMusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Germany
Posts: 25,297
vCash: 500
I'm going to name a few things and I'm curious what people's impression of it is:



Mystery - Futuristic - Existential



I wrote a short story that fits into each of those categories to varying extents, but I am having a difficult time imagining much of a market for it.

BackGroundMusic is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 08:41 PM
  #872
Paxon
Moderator
⚔Z E M G U S⚔
 
Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Laurel, MD
Country: United States
Posts: 24,581
vCash: 50
Hey man, I didn't come here to be told not to smoke crack

Paxon is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 09:34 PM
  #873
cybresabre
Mad Magazine Scoutin
 
cybreSabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: wNY
Posts: 8,143
vCash: 751
Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIN ANTONIC View Post
Thanks for the tips. I will definitely check those out. She likes to be healthy when she's at home but she will definitely let loose a bit. We l;ike to have a good time and go out for druinks but since it's just the two of us I don't see us going to crazy. Save that for the hotel room

We're only going from a tuesday to thursday but an art exhibit with booze might be neat. Either way it should be a good time. I'm gonna try to sneak in a trip to Ted's and Anderson's too if I can!
Garden Place Hotel has nice hot tub rooms. Its decor is really flowery, pastely and Italian statuey.

cybresabre is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 10:10 PM
  #874
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!
 
BuiltTagonTough's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 10,977
vCash: 50
Just watched Season 10 of Red vs. Blue for the first time. For a show that started out as a goofy comedy with decent effects, that show has come an amazingly long way, both in writing, acting, and visuals.

Better than a lot of stuff on tv these days anyways.

BuiltTagonTough is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 11:15 PM
  #875
PlamsUnlimited
Get in the Boat Pls
 
PlamsUnlimited's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 21,785
vCash: 476
First practice tomorrow for a summer league in the North town center and no one wants to give me a ride. Yup, tell the goalie to go screw himself because the guy on the team with the 8 seat SUV That actually fits my equipment lives a few miles away from me.... Let me just fit it all in the Subaru sedan

PlamsUnlimited is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.