HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thoughts and prayers.

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2013, 01:21 PM
slip

vCash: 500
This thread is nowhere close to dying. It's the Hyman Roth thread.

Old
04-11-2013, 01:22 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
Or perhaps the Lightning Lord thread? And Afino is clearly Thoros of Myr.

Old
04-11-2013, 01:39 PM
Crazy Tasty

So I found a gorgeous stone from a wholesaler that I thought would be great for an engagement ring.
Turns out that I got a really great deal after I went and had it assessed!! Score!

Old
04-11-2013, 01:39 PM
Clock

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
Don't worry, Roth eventually dropped.

Old
04-11-2013, 01:48 PM
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Spoil:
I am here to serve.
Odd... The first spoil tag worked for mobile but neither of your did.

Old
04-11-2013, 01:52 PM
aceface33

~memento mori~

Old
04-11-2013, 01:55 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

to beat a nearly dead horse

*beat*

Old
04-11-2013, 01:59 PM
GIN ANTONIC

Hey all,

I posted this in the 'Visiting Buffalo Thread' but not sure if you guys check that super often... Canes fan coming in peace!

Me and the GF are doing a little trip to Buffalo/Niagara from May 7-9. She lives in Vancouver, I live in Toronto so she is coming to visit for a week. We decided to go to Buffalo and area for a couple days for shopping and neither of us have really checked out that region too much. I've been to Niagara a bunch and while it is nice to look at, it's a little boring. Always wanted to check out the sights and scene of Downtown Buffalo as I figured there's probably some great gems that are just overlooked.

We are staying at Salvatore's Garden Place Hotel, in Williamsville because apparently it is nice and romantic and we got a good deal on it. http://www.salvatores.net/

She wants to hit the Walden Galleria and Fashion Outlets Niagara. But we wanted to roam around downtown a bit, hit some nice bars and restaurants. Any suggestions for areas or places to go? We will have a car, obviously so transportation is not an issue. I guess a bit more date friendly or anything quirky, different or a Buffalo/WNY staple would be great to.

I'm reading through some of the other food threads on here but they date back a ways so I don't know how current some of that info is. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Old
04-11-2013, 02:18 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

I'd highly recommend going to the Fuji Grille at least one night for dinner (736 Maple Rd, Willamsville, NY). It's a pretty fun and unique restaurant experience, but I wouldn't recommend it if you aren't big drinkers or are die-hard introverts. The dinners there essentially turn into bachlor/ette parties, just with no nudity. The more people you take the better it gets.

As for bars, you can't beat Allentown and Elmwood. My personal favorites are Brick-bar and Gabriel's gate (the latter has awesome chicken wings).

If you're into quirky/weird stuff I'd recommend Vera (http://www.verapizzeria.com/). It's on Lexington between Elmwood & Richmond in Allentown. They have some cool gourmet pizzas and the best soup I've ever had in life my (loaded potato with truffle oil). The drinks there are all bourbon/whiskey sours that have special "names", you can't order Jack&Coke or Citron&7 like at a normal bar. Be wary that the drinks are pretty small and cost $10 a piece, but they do make their own bitters and use all of sorts of crazy ****. Doesn't do it for me but it's pretty popular and everybody should go there once.

Since you're staying at Salvatore's I'm assuming you'll be eating there at least once. Definitely a safe bet: it's my favorite restaurant in the Buffalo area.

I would steer you away from Anchor Bar unless you like being let-down. Their wings are average (as is the rest of the food), the location is kind of run-down and the inside of the restaurant itself is pretty unimpressive.

Old
04-11-2013, 02:41 PM
GIN ANTONIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
I'd highly recommend going to the Fuji Grille at least one night for dinner (736 Maple Rd, Willamsville, NY). It's a pretty fun and unique restaurant experience, but I wouldn't recommend it if you aren't big drinkers or are die-hard introverts. The dinners there essentially turn into bachlor/ette parties, just with no nudity. The more people you take the better it gets.

As for bars, you can't beat Allentown and Elmwood. My personal favorites are Brick-bar and Gabriel's gate (the latter has awesome chicken wings).

If you're into quirky/weird stuff I'd recommend Vera (http://www.verapizzeria.com/). It's on Lexington between Elmwood & Richmond in Allentown. They have some cool gourmet pizzas and the best soup I've ever had in life my (loaded potato with truffle oil). The drinks there are all bourbon/whiskey sours that have special "names", you can't order Jack&Coke or Citron&7 like at a normal bar. Be wary that the drinks are pretty small and cost $10 a piece, but they do make their own bitters and use all of sorts of crazy ****. Doesn't do it for me but it's pretty popular and everybody should go there once.

Since you're staying at Salvatore's I'm assuming you'll be eating there at least once. Definitely a safe bet: it's my favorite restaurant in the Buffalo area.

I would steer you away from Anchor Bar unless you like being let-down. Their wings are average (as is the rest of the food), the location is kind of run-down and the inside of the restaurant itself is pretty unimpressive.
Thanks HockeyH3aven!

We have a 20.00 coupon for Salvatore's restaurant. The menu looks great but it is a bit pricey even still since we're trying to do this on a budget considering her flight out here was like 500.00. So maybe we'll do that for a lunch. She loves Japanese and Sushi and she was researching that Buffalo had some good spots so Fuji Grille is definitely a place we will try to check out.

She's big into walking, so If Elmwood and Allentown are a little more dense in terms of bars and little shops and stuff that would be nice. Was thinking of maybe going to Tiff Nature Preserve? Maybe a picnic or something like that if the weather is nice.

I've been to Anchor Bar before and found it 'ok' but nothing great. I do love wings and southern food so any suggestions would be great. She's a bit of a health nut so I don't know if she'll go for it but I'm the one driving so she'll have to deal with it.

Old
04-11-2013, 03:00 PM
Crazy Tasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIN ANTONIC View Post
Thanks HockeyH3aven!

We have a 20.00 coupon for Salvatore's restaurant. The menu looks great but it is a bit pricey even still since we're trying to do this on a budget considering her flight out here was like 500.00. So maybe we'll do that for a lunch. She loves Japanese and Sushi and she was researching that Buffalo had some good spots so Fuji Grille is definitely a place we will try to check out.

She's big into walking, so If Elmwood and Allentown are a little more dense in terms of bars and little shops and stuff that would be nice. Was thinking of maybe going to Tiff Nature Preserve? Maybe a picnic or something like that if the weather is nice.

I've been to Anchor Bar before and found it 'ok' but nothing great. I do love wings and southern food so any suggestions would be great. She's a bit of a health nut so I don't know if she'll go for it but I'm the one driving so she'll have to deal with it.
Early May? It will probably snow...

Just kidding! (kinda)

Old
04-11-2013, 03:21 PM
GIN ANTONIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Tasty View Post
Early May? It will probably snow...

Just kidding! (kinda)
Lol. I hear you. We just had a crazy snowstorm in Toronto today after a few nice days of weather. FU southern ontario!!!

Old
04-11-2013, 03:31 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Thanks HockeyH3aven!

If you are looking for some trusted voices for culinary guidance, check out: http://blogs.buffalonews.com/hungryformore/

It's the one thing in the News that I trust.

Another that I don't always agree with but has multiple reviewers so a broader range of tastes are considered is here: http://www.cse.buffalo.edu/restaurant.guide/

Hertel Ave has a number of good, and often smaller restaurants as well as the Elmwood and Allen areas. "Health nut" and "Buffalo cuisine" are usually not part of the same sentence, but there are plenty of places out there. Lunch-wise, I'm a big fan of the Globe Market on Elmwood. Seabar is good, although I'm often left feeling like I'm missing *just* something. Break'n'eggs on Main in Amherst is a crepery, recently opened that has a number of tasty things -- I can recommend the tenderloin crepe as well as the bacon-chicken-cheddar one. Butterwood in the newly remodeled Hotel Lafayette. Mike A's and the Pan-American Grille are there as well, haven't eaten in Mike A's yet and the Pan-Am is ok. If you can twist her arm a bit, Grover's on Transit (about 15 minutes up the road from where you are staying, or less if you make a few lights) has some dynamite burgers.

I'm not big on nightlife -- 2 kids under 10 will do that. The Albright-Knox has free admission on Friday's and there is a bar -- you can have a few, then walk around and look at the art.

04-11-2013, 03:50 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

Let's talk about a more important topic, let's talk about shake weights.

only one question: why?

Old
04-11-2013, 04:35 PM
Afino
The Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddy View Post

They're practice.

Old
04-11-2013, 05:55 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
Wat? I went there once with a group of 6 and am very confused by this claim...

Old
04-11-2013, 05:59 PM
GIN ANTONIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
If you are looking for some trusted voices for culinary guidance, check out: http://blogs.buffalonews.com/hungryformore/

It's the one thing in the News that I trust.

Another that I don't always agree with but has multiple reviewers so a broader range of tastes are considered is here: http://www.cse.buffalo.edu/restaurant.guide/

Hertel Ave has a number of good, and often smaller restaurants as well as the Elmwood and Allen areas. "Health nut" and "Buffalo cuisine" are usually not part of the same sentence, but there are plenty of places out there. Lunch-wise, I'm a big fan of the Globe Market on Elmwood. Seabar is good, although I'm often left feeling like I'm missing *just* something. Break'n'eggs on Main in Amherst is a crepery, recently opened that has a number of tasty things -- I can recommend the tenderloin crepe as well as the bacon-chicken-cheddar one. Butterwood in the newly remodeled Hotel Lafayette. Mike A's and the Pan-American Grille are there as well, haven't eaten in Mike A's yet and the Pan-Am is ok. If you can twist her arm a bit, Grover's on Transit (about 15 minutes up the road from where you are staying, or less if you make a few lights) has some dynamite burgers.

I'm not big on nightlife -- 2 kids under 10 will do that. The Albright-Knox has free admission on Friday's and there is a bar -- you can have a few, then walk around and look at the art.
Thanks for the tips. I will definitely check those out. She likes to be healthy when she's at home but she will definitely let loose a bit. We l;ike to have a good time and go out for druinks but since it's just the two of us I don't see us going to crazy. Save that for the hotel room

We're only going from a tuesday to thursday but an art exhibit with booze might be neat. Either way it should be a good time. I'm gonna try to sneak in a trip to Ted's and Anderson's too if I can!

Old
04-11-2013, 06:07 PM
Myllz
#justbogothings

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
I was thinking the same thing. I've been to multiple hibachi places, including Fuji Grill, and I had no idea what he was talking about.

Old
04-11-2013, 06:12 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
Maybe my experience was just an outlier.

I went to the Fuji Grill in Blasdell with a party of 6. We were in a small room with another table that had about 8 people. Both of our cooks were very....talkative. Constantly cracking jokes about guests, lots of sexual jokes/innuendos, pushing and goading them into chugging saki from that damn squirt bottle. They were especially aggressive towards the females in both parties.

Could just be I by the luck of the draw got two of the colorful cooks, but that's how my trip went down. I guess maybe if you're super relaxed and just nod and say no to everything it might be pretty tame.

Old
04-11-2013, 06:29 PM
BackGroundMusic
hoc quoque finiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afino View Post
They're practice.
See, Duddy? I told you!

Old
04-11-2013, 07:48 PM
BackGroundMusic
hoc quoque finiet

I'm going to name a few things and I'm curious what people's impression of it is:

Mystery - Futuristic - Existential

I wrote a short story that fits into each of those categories to varying extents, but I am having a difficult time imagining much of a market for it.

Old
04-11-2013, 08:41 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Hey man, I didn't come here to be told not to smoke crack

Old
04-11-2013, 09:34 PM
cybresabre
Mad Magazine Scoutin

vCash: 751
Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
Quote:
Thanks for the tips. I will definitely check those out. She likes to be healthy when she's at home but she will definitely let loose a bit. We l;ike to have a good time and go out for druinks but since it's just the two of us I don't see us going to crazy. Save that for the hotel room

We're only going from a tuesday to thursday but an art exhibit with booze might be neat. Either way it should be a good time. I'm gonna try to sneak in a trip to Ted's and Anderson's too if I can!
Garden Place Hotel has nice hot tub rooms. Its decor is really flowery, pastely and Italian statuey.

Old
04-11-2013, 10:10 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Just watched Season 10 of Red vs. Blue for the first time. For a show that started out as a goofy comedy with decent effects, that show has come an amazingly long way, both in writing, acting, and visuals.

Better than a lot of stuff on tv these days anyways.

Old
04-11-2013, 11:15 PM
PlamsUnlimited
Get in the Boat Pls

vCash: 476
First practice tomorrow for a summer league in the North town center and no one wants to give me a ride. Yup, tell the goalie to go screw himself because the guy on the team with the 8 seat SUV That actually fits my equipment lives a few miles away from me.... Let me just fit it all in the Subaru sedan

Closed Thread