HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Mark Jankowski - Providence College, HE (2012, 21st overall, Calgary)

Old
04-11-2013, 12:48 PM
madmike77

vCash: 500
Murphy was a well-regarded prospect though and went about where he should have.

Let's face it - even for the best GMs drafting isn't exactly a science. There is a lot of luck involved unless you're drafting at the very top in a good draft year.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 03:09 PM
FormerRedwingFan
Sarcastic User Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1217 View Post
People think that adding muscle is just super easy, I would like to place a bet that no one can put on 10 pounds in pure lean muscle in under 6 months to a year. Muscle is the hardest thing for your body to acquire. I assume in 2-3 years Jankowski will probably be around 205, but not this summer, It would be all fat. People also saying he would go in the third round are delusional. He was first round talent, it was just there were a ton of question marks. It has been noted many times that other GM's would have taken him with their first rounder also.
I admit I am out of my leauge on the physics of growing body mass (except for the kind that comes from potatoe chips). Keep in mind that playing sports and practicing and working out is all these players do. I think someone can put up that kinda mass if all they do is work on it, especially when there are millions of dollars on the other end. No substances needed other than the greenbacks for motivation.

FormerRedwingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 03:13 PM
madmike77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedorov View Post
I admit I am out of my leauge on the physics of growing body mass (except for the kind that comes from potatoe chips). Keep in mind that playing sports and practicing and working out is all these players do. I think someone can put up that kinda mass if all they do is work on it, especially when there are millions of dollars on the other end. No substances needed other than the greenbacks for motivation.
Yeah I don't think it's going to be easy for Jankowski to add the mass required which is why he was always considered a long-term project, even by the Flames.

If he can adjust to his new body while keeping the skills he already has then great - he should be a good pick. If not then he's a bust.

Given all the "safe" picks the Flames have made over the years that never amounted to anything I'm fine with them rolling the dice on this one.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 04:15 PM
Rolen
sick

vCash: 50
With his skill, skating and size there is no way he goes mid to late second.

If I were to guess he would go 20th-40th.

Rolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 05:20 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1217 View Post
People think that adding muscle is just super easy, I would like to place a bet that no one can put on 10 pounds in pure lean muscle in under 6 months to a year. Muscle is the hardest thing for your body to acquire. I assume in 2-3 years Jankowski will probably be around 205, but not this summer, It would be all fat. People also saying he would go in the third round are delusional. He was first round talent, it was just there were a ton of question marks. It has been noted many times that other GM's would have taken him with their first rounder also.
From a bodybuilding perspective, a young adult male can gain up to 2 lb of muscle per month without steroid use. I realize Jankowski isn't going to be a bodybuilder, but he's also not anywhere near his frame's natural limit in terms of how much muscle it can hold. He's got a lot working for him: he's young, he may not even be entirely out of puberty, and he's got this massive frame that's the opposite of being filled out. That's a prime situation for muscle gain.

He does have things working against him such as the fact that playing and practicing are going to make mass difficult to gain, he's not going to be on a bodybuilder's routine, and he may not be as driven to fill out as a lot of guys are. That aside, I still think 10 lb gains in muscle from season to season are completely reasonable for him if he tries to do it.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 05:36 PM
TheStroker

Serious question: Why is Mark Jankowski the most popular prospect on this boards history? He is mentioned in almost every Flames thread and countless drafting threads. Why is this?

TheStroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 06:03 PM
Ashasx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStroker View Post
Serious question: Why is Mark Jankowski the most popular prospect on this boards history? He is mentioned in almost every Flames thread and countless drafting threads. Why is this?
He's an easy target, and in the opinions of many, was a bust as soon as Feaster called out his name on the draft floor.

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 06:24 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

3rd overall

On a more serious note, why does Jankowski have lower stats than Jujhar Khaira (some random prospect the Oilers picked 2 rounds later with similar birth date and size)? Legitimately curious. From an outsider perspective, he is not tracking well at all for even an early second rounder, let alone a first. I thought he'd at least be able to hit 25 points.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 06:43 PM
Norm MacDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoctophas View Post
3rd overall

On a more serious note, why does Jankowski have lower stats than Jujhar Khaira (some random prospect the Oilers picked 2 rounds later with similar birth date and size)? Legitimately curious. From an outsider perspective, he is not tracking well at all for even an early second rounder, let alone a first. I thought he'd at least be able to hit 25 points.
Drafting is about predicting how a player will turn out in the long-term, not in his freshman year of college. Khaira tallied nice numbers, but there are tons of factors involved when analyzing their progress.

For instance, Jankowski's has a less developed physical frame, he made a more significant jump in levels of play, and he is a better skater.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 06:46 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 336
Quote:
3rd overall

He's fresh out of high school hockey playing on a very defensive Providence team.

Btw Chris Kreider didn't hit 25 points until his final season.

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 06:55 PM
topchowda

Quote:
3rd overall

I think that's more about Khaira exceeding expectations and moving up to MT"s top 6 in the year. Most rookies (especially bigger ones) don't hit 25 points till 2-3 years in

topchowda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 07:49 PM
SMantzas
Church of Corsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
He's fresh out of high school hockey playing on a very defensive Providence team.

Btw Chris Kreider didn't hit 25 points until his final season.
BTW Chris Kreider isnt very good

SMantzas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 08:56 PM
Bill_Crosby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Jankowski mentioned on twitter a few weeks ago than he was less than 170 pounds. That is unreal at 6'4". It's amazing he can skate.
That puts him at a BMI around 20, which is not ideal for a professional athlete, but healthy. Don't make it seem like he's some sort of underfed circus attraction.

Bill_Crosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 09:01 PM
Ashasx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Crosby View Post
That puts him at a BMI around 20, which is not ideal for a professional athlete, but healthy. Don't make it seem like he's some sort of underfed circus attraction.
I was totally be serious.

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 10:30 PM
jarome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I was totally be serious.

Exactly. The kid is a stick at this moment and has so much more to grow into his frame.

did he grow a little? wasn't he 6'2 and three quarters or something?

jarome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 12:05 AM
herashak

vCash: 50
hes more than 170, i'm pretty sure that tweet was a joke

herashak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 12:26 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Mid 2nd?

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 01:00 AM
Iggy-4-50

For one of the youngest players in all the NCAA. Remember, he'll still be 18 when he starts his second year this fall.

I'd say he did all right being tied for 4th in scoring and 6 points behind top spot on the team.

You can't deny his talent and skating ability. If he fills that frame out he'll be a beast.

Iggy-4-50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 08:48 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
3rd overall

Because Khaira wasn't very well known about playing in the BCHL and was a very good pick. He's also much bigger, and has had an easier transition.

To answer where he'd go this year, depends if Feaster thinks he has to trade up from #3 (realistically, probably a late 2nd or early 3rd)

04-12-2013, 10:08 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
3rd overall

1. Khaira is far more developed physically. They may be the same height, but Khaira has a good 20-25 pounds on Jankowski.

2. The jump from the BCHL to the NCAA is far less significant than from a high school prep league. More adjustment was needed.

3. Khaira played on a clearly superior offensive team. Five players on Michigan had just as many or more points than the leading scorer in Providence (24). For example Khaira's teammate and leading scorer from a year ago Paul De Jersey only had 3 goals, and 14 points for Providence this season.

--------

As far as where Jankowski would be selected this year, I would say in the exact same range as that is where the St. Louis pick is projected to be come June.

At worst he is an early 2nd round pick.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 10:19 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
1. Khaira is far more developed physically. They may be the same height, but Khaira has a good 20-25 pounds on Jankowski.

2. The jump from the BCHL to the NCAA is far less significant than from a high school prep league. More adjustment was needed.

3. Khaira played on a clearly superior offensive team. Five players on Michigan had just as many or more points than the leading scorer in Providence (24). For example Khaira's teammate and leading scorer from a year ago Paul De Jersey only had 3 goals, and 14 points for Providence this season.

--------

As far as where Jankowski would be selected this year, I would say in the exact same range as that is where the St. Louis pick is projected to be come June.

At worst he is an early 2nd round pick.
You aren't doing this right, stats are 100% the story regardless of everything else. That is why Kulak > Musil duh

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 03:21 PM
takehisheadoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simerc View Post
Depends on where the Flames finish.
hit the nail on the head

takehisheadoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 11:02 PM
illpucks

Should Jankowski have a higher prospect talent score?

He is at 7.5, D

I think he should be a 8.5-9.0, D. Meaning that if he succeeds he is the next league superstar, but his chance of succeeding is not super high.

Stamkos 9.0, A, Tavares 8.5, B
He should be at this level, but with a lot lower chance of success, hence the D.

What do you think?

illpucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 11:03 PM
Jacob8hockey*
Maple Leaf Fan

no.

10 A

Next Gretzky

Jacob8hockey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 11:06 PM
TheRightWay

vCash: 505
Let's be reality, no matter what prospect score we assign Jankowski it just won't be high enough to do this future Hall Of Famer/Oscar Winner/Pope justice.

TheRightWay is offline   Reply With Quote