HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Talk PART VII

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2013, 11:23 AM
redbull
springtime hockey!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastrt View Post
Staple has said unless he has a change of heart he is going back to the draft. The islanders have made their offer. Staple has been dead on with the prospects recently, so i would say more likely then not he is gone. Hopefully, he or the islanders will change their minds.
I don't think the Islanders are very high on Kichton, especially compared to the other SIGNED dmen on the prospect list (besides deHaan, Donovan, Mayfield, Pedan), then Pelech, Pokka, Reinhart, Russo.....Kichton isn't ahead of any of these guys.

Kichton went undrafted in his draft year. After an 81pt season he was drafted in the 5th round. He went in the 5th round even with all that offense. He's not Ryan Ellis. Since then, he's had comparable junior stats, certainly impressive, but the "rest of his game" is probably what's going to be the make/break on Kichton.

I wouldn't be in a hurry to sign him either. If he's not a fantastic skater AND strong on his stakes or if he's not very strong defensively, makes few mistakes, etc....I'd walk. If my scouts tell me he's got NHL potential based JUST on his offense, then I'd still question the rest of his game, knowing that he's just 5'10"

I haven't seen him play so I can't make the call at all. But based just on where he was drafted (his age, the points he accumulated, the round he was drafted in) and his performance since, I wouldn't be surprised if the Islanders walked away, ESPECIALLY if the money wasn't right!

Might we have another Spurgeon? who cares. All teams will lose a player that catches on somewhere else. That's how we landed Hickey, Grabner, Nabokov, Strait, Schremp, Tambellini, Moulson, Parenteau, etc.

Some work, some don't. Such is life for a former back-up goalie/GM.

Old
04-11-2013, 11:28 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macch View Post
I just don't see how Garth can let a guy with this much potential just walk away. I'd like to believe Garth is still working to get a deal done.
i want to think that too...but if theyre asking for 1st round money, then thats ridiculous. Hes proven nothing as a pro to warrant that, sorry, and if we start letting prospects do this AND they get their big paycheck, then its gonna set a precendent.

FYI, IMO, theres no chance he goes in the 1st round if he re-enters the draft.

Old
04-11-2013, 11:30 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I don't think the Islanders are very high on Kichton, especially compared to the other SIGNED dmen on the prospect list (besides deHaan, Donovan, Mayfield, Pedan), then Pelech, Pokka, Reinhart, Russo.....Kichton isn't ahead of any of these guys.

Kichton went undrafted in his draft year. After an 81pt season he was drafted in the 5th round. He went in the 5th round even with all that offense. He's not Ryan Ellis. Since then, he's had comparable junior stats, certainly impressive, but the "rest of his game" is probably what's going to be the make/break on Kichton.

I wouldn't be in a hurry to sign him either. If he's not a fantastic skater AND strong on his stakes or if he's not very strong defensively, makes few mistakes, etc....I'd walk. If my scouts tell me he's got NHL potential based JUST on his offense, then I'd still question the rest of his game, knowing that he's just 5'10"

I haven't seen him play so I can't make the call at all. But based just on where he was drafted (his age, the points he accumulated, the round he was drafted in) and his performance since, I wouldn't be surprised if the Islanders walked away, ESPECIALLY if the money wasn't right!

Might we have another Spurgeon? who cares. All teams will lose a player that catches on somewhere else. That's how we landed Hickey, Grabner, Nabokov, Strait, Schremp, Tambellini, Moulson, Parenteau, etc.

Some work, some don't. Such is life for a former back-up goalie/GM.
Plus we have a TON of defensive prospects. Look, I want him signed too, besides Donovan, he's the ONLY pure offensive defenseman prospect we have. BUT, I guess you can't sign everyone, especially if he's pushing for more money than he's worth.

It would be funny if we pick him in the 3rd round in June.

Old
04-11-2013, 11:33 AM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macch View Post
I just don't see how Garth can let a guy with this much potential just walk away. I'd like to believe Garth is still working to get a deal done.
That assumes Snow and co. share the same enthusiasm for his potential.

Old
04-11-2013, 11:53 AM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 50
A little bit about Strome from Arthur Staple's chat today:

Quote:
Ryan Strome is playing right wing at Bridgeport. Is this in preparation for him to play there next season on the Islanders, on JT's line?

Staple:
Mark -- I think Strome will be a RW next season, wherever he's playing. For him to be a legit second-line NHL center, he has to be able to handle the physical demands of facing off against the best the league has to offer; don't think he's there yet. I personally don't see him with Tavares right away, but I could certainly see him as a 2nd-line wing.

Old
04-11-2013, 12:07 PM
PWJunior
That's what we do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
A little bit about Strome from Arthur Staple's chat today:
Interesting. I've always been a Strome should stay at center person, but I'd be ok with him learning the ropes on the wing at first. In the long run though, I'd like him at center.

Old
04-11-2013, 12:12 PM
seafoam
Players, please

vCash: 0
Boston started out Seguin at wing and he is still there and has been doing fine, I don't mind Strome playing wing at all, especially with Brock Nelson playing well in Bridgeport.

Old
04-11-2013, 12:31 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 50
Kabanov update from Staple's chat also:
Quote:
Kabanov is still working back from the bad skate cut, as I understand. Won't be 100 percent until next season.

Old
04-11-2013, 12:36 PM
PWJunior
That's what we do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Boston started out Seguin at wing and he is still there and has been doing fine, I don't mind Strome playing wing at all, especially with Brock Nelson playing well in Bridgeport.
It definitely makes sense, but I think Strome is a natural center and would have the greatest impact on the Isles at that position. With JT and Strome, we'd have 2 offensively gifted pivots who can elevate the level of their wingers.

I do love what Nelson brings to the table and he would add much needed size up the middle for us. It's a good problem to have them both as potential #2C's. Seems like so many teams are looking for legit #2 or even #1 centers and we have 2 gems.

Old
04-11-2013, 12:55 PM
doublechili

vCash: 398
Quote:
Giroux started out on the wing with Philly too. It's a pretty typical thing. Center is more demanding physically and mentally.

Old
04-11-2013, 12:57 PM
Beastrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
It definitely makes sense, but I think Strome is a natural center and would have the greatest impact on the Isles at that position. With JT and Strome, we'd have 2 offensively gifted pivots who can elevate the level of their wingers.

I do love what Nelson brings to the table and he would add much needed size up the middle for us. It's a good problem to have them both as potential #2C's. Seems like so many teams are looking for legit #2 or even #1 centers and we have 2 gems.
My question is if strome is not the number 2 center then who is? Nelson is not ready to be the number 2 center next year. Maybe Nielsen stays as number 2 to start and nelson replaces aucoin as the number 3.

Old
04-11-2013, 01:09 PM
bluechipbonzo

Quote:
My question is if strome is not the number 2 center then who is? Nelson is not ready to be the number 2 center next year. Maybe Nielsen stays as number 2 to start and nelson replaces aucoin as the number 3.
Agreed...starting to come into focus here...

Moulson--JT-- FA
Bailey--Nielsen--Okposo
Grabner--Nelson--MacDonald
Martin--Cizikas--Strome
Ullstrom-Lee--Nino

Wow, what a dogfight it will be at training camp next year...gotta think Garf will be moving one of these young studs at the draft for a top flight winger or defenseman...exciting times.

Old
04-11-2013, 01:15 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Just based on the last few weeks one would have to think that Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo will be the Islanders second line next year. Which is why I take staples comment with big grain of salt. I have been saying for a while that Strome will start his career as JTS right wing and nothing I have seen has changed my mind.

I think Cizikas deserves a promotion to third line Center. He is versatile but is best defensively as a center and great on draws.

4th line center could be Anders Lee with Martin and C.McDonald. that would make a line similar to what Lee played with at and (rust and Costello). It would allow Lee to ease into the NHL. No doubt he is big and strong enough to handle center in NHL.

Nelson could make the team out of camp as a winger or go back to Bridgeport to start the season.

Old
04-11-2013, 01:46 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechipbonzo View Post
Agreed...starting to come into focus here...

Moulson--JT-- FA
Bailey--Nielsen--Okposo
Grabner--Nelson--MacDonald
Martin--Cizikas--Strome
Ullstrom-Lee--Nino

Wow, what a dogfight it will be at training camp next year...gotta think Garf will be moving one of these young studs at the draft for a top flight winger or defenseman...exciting times.
I want Strome/Nino nowhere near the 4th line.

Old
04-11-2013, 02:14 PM
IslandersFan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
I agree, they need to be top six regardless of N/AHL.

Old
04-11-2013, 02:28 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Take a look at the FA market before saving a spot for a FA on the top line. The market is very weak, with most of the top wingers being old vets who more than likely will re-sign with their current teams. The other "top guys" are Nathan Horton and David Clarkson, who, if you take a look at the boards of their respective teams, are not too popular among the fans. I don't think that's ever a good sign.

You want Ryder? You want Boyes again? I think Strome is the best option, and "Ninoing" him on the 4th line is a terrible idea.

Old
04-11-2013, 02:59 PM
seafoam
Players, please

If they are planning on using Strome as a second line winger, then they are going to have to break up Bailey and Okposo.

I think next year we'll be looking at something like this if they indeed picture Strome on the second line RW.

Moulson-Tavares-Okposo
Bailey-Nielsen-Strome
Grabner-Nelson-Joensuu/Ully
Martin-Cizikas-McDonald

I personally see Nino as a trade chip this offseason.

Old
04-11-2013, 03:02 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Quote:
If they are planning on using Strome as a second line winger, then they are going to have to break up Bailey and Okposo.

I think next year we'll be looking at something like this if they indeed picture Strome on the second line RW.

Moulson-Tavares-Okposo
Bailey-Nielsen-Strome
Grabner-Nelson-Joensuu/Ully
Martin-Cizikas-McDonald

I personally see Nino as a trade chip this offseason.
Agreed on the lines and Nino. I'd switch Bailey and Moulson but we all know that won't happen.

Old
04-11-2013, 03:08 PM
seafoam
Players, please

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
Agreed on the lines and Nino. I'd switch Bailey and Moulson but we all know that won't happen.
That's actually a great idea because it allows Bailey and Okposo to stay together. As far as Moulson on the second line with Strome, I think it can work. Nielsen often brings the puck into the zone while Moulson goes to the net, allowing Strome to work his creativity.

Wait this makes too much sense, nevermind.

Old
04-11-2013, 03:30 PM
seafoam
Players, please

The only thing about having a line of Moulson-Nielsen-Strome is that that is a really soft line.

Old
04-11-2013, 03:44 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Take a look at the FA market before saving a spot for a FA on the top line. The market is very weak, with most of the top wingers being old vets who more than likely will re-sign with their current teams. The other "top guys" are Nathan Horton and David Clarkson, who, if you take a look at the boards of their respective teams, are not too popular among the fans. I don't think that's ever a good sign.

You want Ryder? You want Boyes again? I think Strome is the best option, and "Ninoing" him on the 4th line is a terrible idea.
what's the problem with ryder? good player in his prime.

Old
04-11-2013, 03:47 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
what's the problem with ryder? good player in his prime.
I never said anything was wrong with Ryder, but I personally would still prefer Strome. And it's not like just because Ryder fits that he'd automatically be an Islander, which is why I think it's silly to pencil in a FA in a top line spot.

Old
04-11-2013, 03:56 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
That's actually a great idea because it allows Bailey and Okposo to stay together. As far as Moulson on the second line with Strome, I think it can work. Nielsen often brings the puck into the zone while Moulson goes to the net, allowing Strome to work his creativity.

Wait this makes too much sense, nevermind.
I don't want to turn the prospects thread into the line-combo thread, BUT I'm not sure how much sense it makes.

We FINALLY have a line that we can count on consistently to produce on both ends of the ice and pick the team up and lead them to a winning streak while Tavares is not at the top of his game. And then we want to break it up and put a guy (Okposo) back on a line with Tavares when it didnt work the first time, and then put Strome (who is custom built for a Tavares wing) and put him on the second line? Why, just becuase staple says so? How many NHL Games has he won as a coach? It almost makes less sense than putting Strome on the 4th line.

Moulson(Or acquisition)- Tavares- Strome
Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo
Grabner-Cizikas- (Nelson/Nino)
Martin-Lee-McDonald
With Joensuu and Ullstrom as additional forwards.

Eventually over the course of the season A power forward will emerge to go along side Tavares and Strome on the top line, Whether its Anders Lee or Jesse Joensuu or Nino (I doubt it, he isnt a PF) or a player available via trade. Either way a replacement for Moulson will present itself in some form by the end of next season.

As it is Next Year Strome, Nelson, Donovan will do a good job replacing Boyes/Aucoin/Streit and help take the team to the next step.

Old
04-11-2013, 04:02 PM
bluechipbonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
I wouldn't look at that as the 4th line, nor do I have any idea if Strome won't in fact be on JT's wing...I like Martin-Cizikas-Joensuu (who I just realized I've left out, but who could very well solidify a spot down the stretch and into the playoffs with these two...) better than Grabner-Aucoin-MacDonald- which I see as our "weakest" line...anyways lots of possibilities here...MacDonald is a nice story, but he could be on the outside looking in come next fall.

I see grabner as a trade chip if the Okposo-Bailey-Nielsen line continue to emerge as a viable scoring line. Grabner is a nice weapon, but a luxury if you've got kids like Nino, Nelson, and Strome ready to take the next step...don't discount guys like Joensuu and Ullstrom who bring size and top nine capability. It's not like Bailey, Martin, Nielsen, and Cizikas can't kill penalties. Nelson and Ullstrom are options there too...it's not like Grabner is even getting the same number of breakaway chances on the PK as he use to...and we all know what happens when he gets a breakaway.

No, I think Grabner is more expendable and likely a trade chip than he was at the start of the season. With the Okposo line going good, some bodies will have to move for all the kids we got coming in the next year or two.

Last edited by bluechipbonzo: 04-11-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old
04-11-2013, 04:04 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
I never said anything was wrong with Ryder, but I personally would still prefer Strome. And it's not like just because Ryder fits that he'd automatically be an Islander, which is why I think it's silly to pencil in a FA in a top line spot.
Yeah, but you gotta try. I'd rather get Strome's feet wet playing with, say, Nelson and Grabner getting 12-14 minutes per night.

Closed Thread