HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The OFFICIAL Fire Tambo and Fire Lowe MOVEMENT

Old
04-11-2013, 04:53 PM
ty99

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos View Post
Stop going to games and buying merchandise. Only way to make a change. But few have the fortitude to do that so nothing will change.

I was offered free tickets and still didn't go. I can watch the game fine on TV and not give a single penny to the team in doing so.

I won't go to another game until the team is a playoff team again, OR until management is replaced - at which point they get another few years out of me again.

Sorry guys, but when such a simple answer is in front of you and you don't do it then I don't feel sorry for you at all.
Yep. Just stop paying them. Stop supporting this mess. Money talks.

ty99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 04:53 PM
bleed_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec28 View Post
They won't be fired because for the past 4-5 years they have been executing exactly according to plan. Ownership and managment bought in - all in - to the notion of rebuilding the franchise from the ground-up. Fan anger comes largely from the fact that their goals expectations are completely at odds with those of ownership and management. Fans want to think they've been striving for success -or at the very least, improvement - year over year. It seems clear to me that this has not been the plan at all - Katz & Tamblowe committed to completely turning the franchise around through a long and very painful rebuilding process.

Rewind 4-5 years:

- Middling (at best) on-ice talent
- Weak prospect pool (Schremp! Mihknov! Niinimaki!) < Edit: Ok, maybe a little older than the period I had in mind; same level of suckage, though
- Ignored by top tier UFAs

With those as your starting conditions, there's very little you can do aside from hoping for an unexpected diamond from your mid-round draft picks. No one was going to trade them a Mercedes for a 2for1 Pacer/Gremlin package (Hemsky was, by far, THE most valuable asset in the organization for several years - ruminate on that for a while), the farm team was mediocre at best, and elite UFAs wouldn't piss on the organization if it were on fire. When all of these variables are true, how else but through the draft do you improve the level of talent in the organization?

With all this in mind, they decided to burn it to the ground and rebuild through the draft. The reality is that to do so effectively the team needs to suck - well and truly - for several years. Just one year isn't going to do it. The Colorado/Philly comparisons that always come up aren't comparable - despite their lack of success, they had elite on-ice talent, high-value trading chips, and a history of top UFA signings.

Fast forward to today and the situation has turned around 180 degrees:

- Spectacular - if still young and inconsistent - on ice talent
- A solid prospect pool
- A legitimate suitor to high-demand UFAs (i.e. Schultz; TBD if it continues)

Now the key pieces are in place but they are just so young that they are going through the naturally frustrating and inconsistent learning process. Their brief success this year, imo, signals an upcoming change in a pproach by mgmt. They've effecively been playing possum the last several years - do just enough to ice a regulation NHL team, but nothing to actually improve them. I think that's going to change this off-season. They now have the high-value assets to trade for other high-value assets in order to build an on-ice contender. I would argue that had they not gone on a tear and pulled themselves back into the playoff hunt, Tamblowe would have been far more active at the trade deadline. As it happened, they felt the experience and potential success was worth more and decided to more or less stand pat - it's hard to argue with that. I'd also suggest that the act of standing pat represents a change in approach.

Once they turn that corner, their goals and your goals will be aligned. They'll actually be focused on near-term success, and can be assessed accordingly.

It's completely fair game to argue whether it's the right plan or even if they're going about it in the correct way, but make no mistake, rebirth and long-term success through utter and sustained destruction has been the intent all along. They've been playing the long game and nothing else.
So in 3-4 years time when our planned suckage allows us to acquire (via draft) and develop the Big Center and #1 Dman we need to be a successful team, I would assume there plan has been realized?
At that time Hall and Eberle will be poised for UFA status and we can call it a day on this rebuild and get ready for another rebuilding period anew. Of course by then we will need to rebuild to replace Hall and Eberle so it will require a few more years of purposefully tanking so we can get snipers on the wing.
That all assumes no one has come along and given an Offer Sheet to Yak, Schultz and\or Nuge since one would assume the Oilers will have some cap issues in between.

bleed_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 04:55 PM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

I'll be honest, standing pat at the deadline didn't bother me because when you saw the return that some teams were getting for guys, I didn't think it was worth trading Whitney for a 2nd round pick when we realistically were in the hunt for a spot.

But the disappointment for me comes from last summer when this team did jack **** in free agency and hoped that adding two (very good) rookies was the answer to our problems. Justin Schultz is very good, and will be even better, but it was almost like when he signed in Edmonton that Tambellini thought we could scratch off "Defense" on our needs list.

Outside of Hall, Ebs, RNH, Schultz and Yakupov, I don't think there can be any untouchables on this team. And when/if it ever comes that one of those five has to be dealt, I don't want Steve Tambellini pulling the trigger.

Klefbom has to be on the table. 1st round picks need to be on the table. Hemsky, Gagner, Paajarvi, among others have to be on the table.

Another off-season with Tambellini as the builder of this club scares me.

McRib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 04:57 PM
oilinblood

if anyone has ability to make some decent logos based on the oiler design...i have a fantastic idea for an adaptation that will pay homage to pretty much the entire post-Weight era.

photoshop skills are likely all you need to get this done. (i am not one of those people who have ever even dabbled into that software)

please message me.

my new logo idea is far more fitting and uses the current logo.

oilinblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 05:01 PM
rec28

Send a message via MSN to rec28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleed_oil View Post
So in 3-4 years time when our planned suckage allows us to acquire (via draft) and develop the Big Center and #1 Dman we need to be a successful team, I would assume there plan has been realized?
At that time Hall and Eberle will be poised for UFA status and we can call it a day on this rebuild and get ready for another rebuilding period anew. Of course by then we will need to rebuild to replace Hall and Eberle so it will require a few more years of purposefully tanking so we can get snipers on the wing.
That all assumes no one has come along and given an Offer Sheet to Yak, Schultz and\or Nuge since one would assume the Oilers will have some cap issues in between.
No, the point is that they now have the assets available to either trade for or attract though UFA those pieces. They have options now like they've not seen since the late 80s and it took year over suckage to get them there.

I'd put good money down on a bet that at least one of the big 5 will be moved this summer. My guess is Eberle.

rec28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 05:05 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanahanigans View Post
Okay, so I think we've all had MORE than enough from these two incompetent excuses for GMs. I know that media members check this forum, and I wouldn't be surprised if some Oilers brass did as well.

We have to send them a message that us fans will NOT tolerate the lack of effort put into this team outside of drafting first overall.

What we need, is someone who is good with making avatars. I think, for the next month, everyone, or almost everyone on HF Oil should have the same avatar- a picture with both #FireTambo and #FireLowe on it. With the hashtags, we could also make it a twitter movement.

FIRE THESE LOSERS!!
Bwahaha, ah you must be a teenager or young adult to think that Internet "movements" have any impact.

hfboards will have 100% no effect.

And Personally, things could always be worse. As long as the Tambellini doesn't screw up the rebuild by trading away one of the five kids, the kids will get better and become more of a factor in games.

Of course, it would help by acquiring some useful pieces of the puzzle, but in order to get quality, you have to give up quality. And the Oilers doesn't have that much quality assets (outside of the Hall, Eberle, RNH, Yakupov, Petry and J.Schultz.) So we're stuck unless a UFA signs here.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 05:07 PM
bleed_oil

Quote:
No, the point is that they now have the assets available to either trade for or attract though UFA those pieces. They have options now like they've not seen since the late 80s and it took year over suckage to get them there.

I'd put good money down on a bet that at least one of the big 5 will be moved this summer. My guess is Eberle.
Entirely possible. But what in Tambo's record indicates to you that he will (or is able to) make big moves such as that? I cant picture a scenario where he would be that bold. I haven't seen evidence of that from him.
Secondly, there is absolutely no evidence of veteran and prized NHL UFA's signing in Edmonton. It's never happened and I dont think that signing J. Schultz is indicative of some sort of trend. Also anyone knows an NHL player (its not hard to have personal connections to NHL'ers in Northern Alberta) will tell you that the management group here has an abysmal reputation for ushering a players career - mainly due to past incidents with Souray, Comrie and so forth. I would be truly shocked if we sign big name UFA's as you suggest.

Old
04-11-2013, 05:11 PM
Meanashell11

Quote:
They won't be fired because for the past 4-5 years they have been executing exactly according to plan. Ownership and managment bought in - all in - to the notion of rebuilding the franchise from the ground-up. Fan anger comes largely from the fact that their goals expectations are completely at odds with those of ownership and management. Fans want to think they've been striving for success -or at the very least, improvement - year over year. It seems clear to me that this has not been the plan at all - Katz & Tamblowe committed to completely turning the franchise around through a long and very painful rebuilding process.

Rewind 4-5 years:

- Middling (at best) on-ice talent
- Weak prospect pool (Schremp! Mihknov! Niinimaki!) < Edit: Ok, maybe a little older than the period I had in mind; same level of suckage, though
- Ignored by top tier UFAs

With those as your starting conditions, there's very little you can do aside from hoping for an unexpected diamond from your mid-round draft picks. No one was going to trade them a Mercedes for a 2for1 Pacer/Gremlin package (Hemsky was, by far, THE most valuable asset in the organization for several years - ruminate on that for a while), the farm team was mediocre at best, and elite UFAs wouldn't piss on the organization if it were on fire. When all of these variables are true, how else but through the draft do you improve the level of talent in the organization?

With all this in mind, they decided to burn it to the ground and rebuild through the draft. The reality is that to do so effectively the team needs to suck - well and truly - for several years. Just one year isn't going to do it. The Colorado/Philly comparisons that always come up aren't comparable - despite their lack of success, they had elite on-ice talent, high-value trading chips, and a history of top UFA signings.

Fast forward to today and the situation has turned around 180 degrees:

- Spectacular - if still young and inconsistent - on ice talent
- A solid prospect pool
- A legitimate suitor to high-demand UFAs (i.e. Schultz; TBD if it continues)

Now the key pieces are in place but they are just so young that they are going through the naturally frustrating and inconsistent learning process. Their brief success this year, imo, signals an upcoming change in a pproach by mgmt. They've effecively been playing possum the last several years - do just enough to ice a regulation NHL team, but nothing to actually improve them. I think that's going to change this off-season. They now have the high-value assets to trade for other high-value assets in order to build an on-ice contender. I would argue that had they not gone on a tear and pulled themselves back into the playoff hunt, Tamblowe would have been far more active at the trade deadline. As it happened, they felt the experience and potential success was worth more and decided to more or less stand pat - it's hard to argue with that. I'd also suggest that the act of standing pat represents a change in approach.

Once they turn that corner, their goals and your goals will be aligned. They'll actually be focused on near-term success, and can be assessed accordingly.

It's completely fair game to argue whether it's the right plan or even if they're going about it in the correct way, but make no mistake, rebirth and long-term success through utter and sustained destruction has been the intent all along. They've been playing the long game and nothing else.
This guy gets it. They can't come right out and say it but they indicated over and over that this was the plan, the only choice they had actually and I was on board. But now we are entering the phoenix stage (not the city in the desert!) and it's time to clean up the front office. Lowe most likely stays but ST knew all along with this plan they would need a fall guy, he is the guy. I am certain MacT is on board to take over as GM. I am fine with this. The remaining question is Ralph. When they went looking for a coach last summer I am certain it was tough to get a serious contender because they had to be transparent with their plan so they figured, what the hell, let Ralphie have a season (if there is one) and if it works, great. If not, 2013-14 is the year and they will bring in the real coach now. Lindy Ruff anyone.....

Meanashell11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 05:15 PM
#ualberta

Ok i'll take a stab at this.
I don't believe Katz doesn't care he will make so much more money if we make the playoffs, soo much more $$$

as fans there is not that much we can do but there is a few things chanting at games would be nice
Leafs fans did a fire wilson chant last year and it worked
We could push our ideas on twitter maybe even get something trending they will notice for sure
I tweeted #firekrueger several times this year, if everyone is tweeting stuff like that @edmontonoilers we will get noticed
Or people who call radio shows like CHED can express their anger with management and coaching

Apart from that there is not much else we can do and doing all this might not get anything done it is certainly worth a try and i'm on board for sure

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 05:18 PM
New dawn

I gave up my season tickets in 2007 as I could see the writing on the wall with the handling of the Comrie trade and then the Pronger trade.The problem with this organization is that no resume is required for the most important positions.President of hockey operations-no experience required,GM-assistants from team with no championships okay,rehiring of failed coach into managerial position okay(apparently,other than farm teams,no NHL team was interested,rehire former assistant GM after failure to steer other NHL team as GM is okay,hiring of two former players as assistant coaches of which one had no experience and the other was a former assistant on another team but was downgraded to scout after a brief stint behind the bench was okay and hire a defensive coach to go with the two assistants that specialize in defence while drafting offence type players in the first round is okay.Not to mention the pro scouting have an ex player with no resume and 2 ex player European scouts with no resume,although they seem to be doing better than our North American scouts.As a former business owner(many at the same time) I am appauled at the unbelievable amount of managerial personal that are hired with no experience for the position that they are put into.In my opinion Katz missed the boat when John Davidson was available and he didn't scoop him up.

New dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 05:19 PM
rec28

Send a message via MSN to rec28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleed_oil View Post
Entirely possible. But what in Tambo's record indicates to you that he will (or is able to) make big moves such as that? I cant picture a scenario where he would be that bold. I haven't seen evidence of that from him.
Secondly, there is absolutely no evidence of veteran and prized NHL UFA's signing in Edmonton. It's never happened and I dont think that signing J. Schultz is indicative of some sort of trend. Also anyone knows an NHL player (its not hard to have personal connections to NHL'ers in Northern Alberta) will tell you that the management group here has an abysmal reputation for ushering a players career - mainly due to past incidents with Souray, Comrie and so forth. I would be truly shocked if we sign big name UFA's as you suggest.
Between the two of them, Lowe and Tambo are not afraid of making or trying to make big splashes. From Pronger trade to the Hossa/Heatley whale hunting expeditions, they've never shied away from punching above their weight. That they weren't successful in all of these isn't the point - the point is that they tried. The key difference now is that they actually have elite assets to deal. They never had that previous to the rebuild. How do you trade up to a diamond ring when you have nothing to your name but a beer can taped to a whistle?

The notion that the big 5 are " untouchable" is absurd. Their value as elite assets is exactly what will enable the org to fill in the other holes. Its been the whole point of the exercise.

Re: UFAs, time will tell. I even noted TBD. The presence of top talent on a team changes things, and hopefully the Schultz signing is an indication of good things to come.

rec28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 05:21 PM
GO99
HFBoards Sponsor

Lowe has sure got a sweet deal.

I am 99% sure (There has to be people who agree) he was drunk when he went off on Burke and talked about Bobby Ryan.

The guy sounded like he was slurring. He did not sound the way he normally did.

GO99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 05:21 PM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
Ok i'll take a stab at this.
I don't believe Katz doesn't care he will make so much more money if we make the playoffs, soo much more $$$

as fans there is not that much we can do but there is a few things chanting at games would be nice
Leafs fans did a fire wilson chant last year and it worked
We could push our ideas on twitter maybe even get something trending they will notice for sure
I tweeted #firekrueger several times this year, if everyone is tweeting stuff like that @edmontonoilers we will get noticed
Or people who call radio shows like CHED can express their anger with management and coaching

Apart from that there is not much else we can do and doing all this might not get anything done it is certainly worth a try and i'm on board for sure
Tweeting anything to the Oilers twitter account won't do anything. The Oilers hire someone to run the account, but it ain't Tambellini, Lowe, Katz, or anyone else in charge that does it.

McRib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 05:26 PM
oilinblood

I think someone needs to fflush the toilet. you ever notice the oilers logo can be replaced by the rim of a toilet and nobody would notice the difference?

Old
04-11-2013, 05:45 PM
#ualberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
Tweeting anything to the Oilers twitter account won't do anything. The Oilers hire someone to run the account, but it ain't Tambellini, Lowe, Katz, or anyone else in charge that does it.
Sure, that makes sense.
But if something like #firetambo is trending canada wide it will be notice whether or not something happens because of it is a different story, it is not very difficult to get something trending canada wide

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 05:49 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Yeah i hope you all burn your season tickets and march to Rexall if you are that pissed off.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 05:50 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
I think someone needs to fflush the toilet. you ever notice the oilers logo can be replaced by the rim of a toilet and nobody would notice the difference?
If you are so upset with the team, why follow them?

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 05:58 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by New dawn View Post
I gave up my season tickets in 2007 as I could see the writing on the wall with the handling of the Comrie trade and then the Pronger trade.The problem with this organization is that no resume is required for the most important positions.President of hockey operations-no experience required,GM-assistants from team with no championships okay,rehiring of failed coach into managerial position okay(apparently,other than farm teams,no NHL team was interested,rehire former assistant GM after failure to steer other NHL team as GM is okay,hiring of two former players as assistant coaches of which one had no experience and the other was a former assistant on another team but was downgraded to scout after a brief stint behind the bench was okay and hire a defensive coach to go with the two assistants that specialize in defence while drafting offence type players in the first round is okay.Not to mention the pro scouting have an ex player with no resume and 2 ex player European scouts with no resume,although they seem to be doing better than our North American scouts.As a former business owner(many at the same time) I am appauled at the unbelievable amount of managerial personal that are hired with no experience for the position that they are put into.In my opinion Katz missed the boat when John Davidson was available and he didn't scoop him up.

Bingo.

Great post.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 05:59 PM
Up the Irons

Totaling agree that it is time for.this movement. Noway this management team should survive this montrosity.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 06:05 PM
oilinblood

wake me up when they houseclean properly. Stepping back and looking at the big picture i feel pathetic to have believed in any of this. An intelligent individual would say that this business- the edmonton coilers- has been run by the same inept and impotent group since Weight got traded and in that time they have been nothing but jokes.

I dont support patheticness. I certainly wont wear their colors.

For me right now... anyone wearing an oilers jersey that isnt intentionally mocking them... has low expectations and low value for their own time.

You are what you support. I realize now this retirement fund for hockey playerss and friends...cushy jobs with no qualifications or expectations needed... is a joke on all the fans.
I understand alot of edmontonians need hockey because winter lasts 9 months and then you have pot hole season but... maybe time to move to phoenix like everyone else. move somewhere where hockey isnt all there is. We talk like its bad that places have so much going on that the average city citizen doesnt even know the hockey team. Which city is pathetic?

Dont bash the nucks. Dont bash the Flames. We havent been relevant in 20 years. Thems the facts. HArd to swallow? Step back and see it all and swallow the truth.

If this season was 82 games i have zero doubt we would finish bottom 3 again.

Last edited by oilinblood: 04-11-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old
04-11-2013, 06:26 PM
Up the Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
wake me up when they houseclean properly. Stepping back and looking at the big picture i feel pathetic to have believed in any of this. An intelligent individual would say that this business- the edmonton coilers- has been run by the same inept and impotent group since Weight got traded and in that time they have been nothing but jokes.

I dont support patheticness. I certainly wont wear their colors.

For me right now... anyone wearing an oilers jersey that isnt intentionally mocking them... has low expectations and low value for their own time.

You are what you support. I realize now this retirement fund for hockey playerss and friends...cushy jobs with no qualifications or expectations needed... is a joke on all the fans.
I understand alot of edmontonians need hockey because winter lasts 9 moonths and then you have pot hole season but... maybe time to move to phoenix like everyone else. move somewhere where hockey isnt all there is. We talk like its bad that places have so much going on that the average city citizen doesnt even know the hockey team. Which city is pathetic?

Dont bash the nucks. Dont bash the Flames. We havent been relevant in 20 years. Thems the facts. HArd to swallow? Step back and see it all and swallow the truth.

If this season was 82 games i have zero doubt we would finish bottom 3 again.
Bottom 5 fosho. Sadly, your words, while harsh, appear truer and truer every month. Wait till the draft. After Tambo picks 10th, we will hear the same excuses for no dealing: "we were agressive, but there just wasn't a deal there". They start next season with 2 more rookies and different fringe players.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 06:29 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

vCash: 50
Whatever happened to this Shanahanigans?
Quote:
We aren't at the point in our rebuild where we need rentals to make a playoff push. If we make 7th or 8th, so be it. If we make 9th, so be it. Those will all be massive improvements. Rentals don't help our team. What us Oiler fans are looking forward to is the summer, when a bunch of hockey deals which aren't rentals can be made, so as to improve the team going forward. It would be a waste to give away our first for a player like Mark Streit for example, who may be here only a month if we don't make the playoffs. Usually we don't agree with Tambo's moves, but he did the right thing here.
/thread

Booya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 06:43 PM
bleed_oil

Quote:
Between the two of them, Lowe and Tambo are not afraid of making or trying to make big splashes. From Pronger trade to the Hossa/Heatley whale hunting expeditions, they've never shied away from punching above their weight. That they weren't successful in all of these isn't the point - the point is that they tried. The key difference now is that they actually have elite assets to deal. They never had that previous to the rebuild. How do you trade up to a diamond ring when you have nothing to your name but a beer can taped to a whistle?

The notion that the big 5 are " untouchable" is absurd. Their value as elite assets is exactly what will enable the org to fill in the other holes. Its been the whole point of the exercise.

Re: UFAs, time will tell. I even noted TBD. The presence of top talent on a team changes things, and hopefully the Schultz signing is an indication of good things to come.
We shall see I suppose. My impression of Tambo is one of a waffler who is terrified of making a decision. Is this fair? Perhaps not. But his tenure in charge of this team has done little to contradict this view of him. If he trades Eberle in some sort of package and we end up with the much vaunted power forward or trades Gags in a package for a physical 2nd line center - I will be wrong. But we shall see.
Ultimately what does it matter? The effect of all this losing has worn on thiis fan base to the point of being quite obvious. Look at the Game Day Threads on this board from what they were 6 years ago... Its a world of difference. (or perhaps this is my impression). Seems to me that people have accepted all the losing and moved on with life. Of course they will still always sell out the rink cause they are the only show in a town with a strong economy that is passionate about hockey.

Last edited by bleed_oil: 04-11-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old
04-11-2013, 06:50 PM
Chooch

Protest in front of Oilers HQ at Kingsway.

Chooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 06:52 PM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chooch View Post
Protest in front of Oilers HQ at Kingsway.
burn your jerseys in front of OIlers HQ.

bring anything with the oilers logo to the Oilers HQ and either burn it or drop your pants and take a **** right on it.
bring your hats and light the on fire.

its symbolic cleansing.. you will feel better

show up with a jersey to games that changes the jersey logo to the one in my avatar.