HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Metro Seattle: NHL, NBA and Arena - Part VI

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2013, 07:31 PM
Clowe Me

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear SUV View Post
He lied about the fans of Seattle. Straight up lied in attempt to make Seattle look bogusly lesser. I lost my respect for him that day.

What exactly did he say? If you have a link, i'd like to see it.

Old
04-11-2013, 07:37 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
Where and why hasn't Sacramento targeted another NBA franchise, for the "so-called hole in the ground downtown arena", Clowe, THEY SEEM TO BE SO GOOD at grandstanding, when they've had over 28 years to replace Sleep Train Arena, and instead decided to spend big $ on Raley Field

Old
04-11-2013, 07:39 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
He was on a Northwest show Dan Patrick i think and said that Seattle had no fan support nor an arena and deserved to loose their team.

Old
04-11-2013, 07:42 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
Where and why hasn't Sacramento targeted another NBA franchise, for the "so-called hole in the ground downtown arena", Clowe, THEY SEEM TO BE SO GOOD at grandstanding, when they've had over 28 years to replace Sleep Train Arena, and instead decided to spend big $ on Raley Field
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, but the Kings have nothing to do with Raley field. Also, why would they need to go after another NBA team when they already have one?

Arco was built after the Kings had already moved to Sacramento. The Maloof's took over and wanted a brand new arena on the public's dime. When the city agreed on a new deal with Burkle financing the arena and the Maloof's remaining as owners, they pulled out and said they weren't for sale. They flirted with Virginia Beach, which we all knew wasn't going to happen, then sold the team to Hansen without giving a local group the chance to compete.

Old
04-11-2013, 07:43 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
He was on a Northwest show Dan Patrick i think and said that Seattle had no fan support nor an arena and deserved to loose their team.
That's not right.

Old
04-11-2013, 07:44 PM
Djp

Given what happened with the Oklahoma city move ....there was some deal with Seattle regarding them getting a team. If the nba blocks this their will be lawsuits that will force expansion.

What some have talked about with nba and expansion diluting talent...BS...you are getting more and more foreign born players playing. That addition of players can support expansion easily.

Old
04-11-2013, 07:46 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
That's not right.
and ticked off the entire sonics fanbase in the process.

Old
04-11-2013, 07:48 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
They flirted with Virginia Beach, which we all knew wasn't going to happen, then sold the team to Hansen without giving a local group the chance to compete.
That's no different than what Schultz did when he sold the team to bennett only issue is that we only found about the sale after it was announced.

Old
04-11-2013, 07:52 PM
Djp

Quote:
That's no different than what Schultz did when he sold the team to bennett only issue is that we only found about the sale after it was announced.
I agree....

There was no effort locally to sell the team. Only after it was announced that they feared the team would be pulled given wealthy man from OKC who had a ready arena.

Old
04-11-2013, 08:09 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
The situations are very similar. I'd love to see the league simply add an expansion team for you guys but that isn't going to happen...

Old
04-11-2013, 08:18 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
The situations are very similar. I'd love to see the league simply add an expansion team for you guys but that isn't going to happen...
Problem is with the issue is that Seattle has been in this process for over two years and done exactly what needs to be done and everything is ready pending a EIS review/2nd vote and could still get voted down.

What has Sacramento done the past two years? two non bidding agreements that were not finalized with everything laid out and solid which one of those fell apart nevermind their suppose group is flip flopping between investors and still adding investors up to a week left before a vote.

The NHL would never allow such a group like that in their league.

Why should Seattle get the expansion when sacramento has a ways to go to be where seattle is at today?

Old
04-11-2013, 08:53 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Problem is with the issue is that Seattle has been in this process for over two years and done exactly what needs to be done and everything is ready pending a EIS review/2nd vote and could still get voted down.

What has Sacramento done the past two years? two non bidding agreements that were not finalized with everything laid out and solid which one of those fell apart nevermind their suppose group is flip flopping between investors and still adding investors up to a week left before a vote.

The NHL would never allow such a group like that in their league.

Why should Seattle get the expansion when sacramento has a ways to go to be where seattle is at today?
Sacramento isn't where Seattle is because the current owners have always said the team wasn't for sale, then they up and sold the team to a man wanting to move them to Seattle. The Sacramento group isn't where Seattle is because they were never given the opportunity. KJ and co has been fighting to keep the Maloof's from moving, not buy the team because they were never for sale, according to the snake brothers.

Last edited by Clowe Me: 04-11-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old
04-11-2013, 09:06 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Sacramento isn't where Seattle is because the current owners have always said the team wasn't for sale, then they up and sold the team to a man wanting to move them to Seattle. The Sacramento group isn't where Seattle is because they were never given the opportunity. KJ and co has been fighting to keep the Maloof's from moving, not buy the team because they were never for sale, according to the snake brothers.
They knew the team was up for sale. i don't buy that oh we didn't know bs.

Old
04-11-2013, 09:08 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
They knew the team was up for sale. i don't buy that oh we didn't know bs.
The Maloof's always said otherwise on tv and in writing. If they were willing to sale locally, they would have by now.

Old
04-11-2013, 09:13 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
The Maloof's always said otherwise on tv and in writing. If they were willing to sale locally, they would have by now.
What they say publicly and what says privately are two different things. I don't buy it. its more of an excuse of being caught off-guard. They tried to wait it out to where the maloofs had no choice but to sell locally it backfired.

Perhaps the team was not for say cause no one was willing to pay what they were asking for. Any team is for sale for the right price.

Old
04-11-2013, 10:07 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
What they say publicly and what says privately are two different things. I don't buy it. its more of an excuse of being caught off-guard. They tried to wait it out to where the maloofs had no choice but to sell locally it backfired.

Perhaps the team was not for say cause no one was willing to pay what they were asking for. Any team is for sale for the right price.
I could post article after article quoting the Maloof's saying they weren't for sale. But, their actions show they were only willing to sale to someone on the outside.

You Seattleites continously bring up how your previous owner and the league did you wrong, which I agree with, but continuously deny the fact that the Maloof's are just as dirty. When they were going to move the team to Anaheim, it was under the premise of them still owning the team. Ever since KJ and Burkle screwed that up for them, they have done nothing but lie and screw the city and fans. If they were for sale or not is irrelevant locally because they were never going to willfully sale the team to someone with the intentions of them staying in Sacramento.

You guys feel you deserve a team, which you do, but it's not like we don't deserve ours.

Old
04-11-2013, 11:10 PM
derriko

vCash: 4116
The Maloof's are every bit as dirty as Bennett and Schultz. I dont think any "seattleites" will deny that.

This whole thing is a lose-lose situation.

Honestly the NBA sucks in general. The only reason I follow this situation is because it directly ties into the NHL in Seattle.

When the Sonics moved, it put the nail in the coffin for me. Only big markets stand a chance, and even then, I cant stand how soft basketball players are. I think its embarrassing for grown men to yell and scream when getting tapped on the wrist.

Old
04-11-2013, 11:37 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:

Quote:
He also noted that teams usually only move if there is a lack of support or lack of a quality arena. He said both of those were in place in Seattle when the Sonics left, saying “they weren’t getting the support they needed and they couldn’t build a building.”
http://blogs.seattletimes.com/nbains...in-sacramento/

Old
04-11-2013, 11:41 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

poof

Last edited by superdeluxe: 04-11-2013 at 11:54 PM.
Old
04-11-2013, 11:56 PM
PCSPounder

Quote:
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, but the Kings have nothing to do with Raley field.
Never mind the Kings; the only ways the city of Sacramento relates to Raley Field are the name of the team and the backdrop in the outfield. It's actually in West Sacramento, Yolo County... and just happens to be a bit of a walk from Old Sacramento over the Tower Bridge. I make that note because I find it interesting that the Rivercats kind of get a decent tax situation in what most people regard as a downtown stadium. Some people in Portland wish they were that lucky.

Quote:
Also, why would they need to go after another NBA team when they already have one?
Realism.

Why do I believe Chris Daniels? Simple. Where were the whales two years ago? There was no law two years ago (and only a semi-exclusivity agreement now) saying that you couldn't approach the Maloofs with an offer for the team. I think you have money people in/around Sacramento seeking to play the "thwarted white knight" in order to set up for whatever they want next... which may or may not be the Kings, or even sports. I'm sure the Maloofs received some lowball offers. BTW, much like the union doesn't like players giving back money or playing at below market value, other owners don't like to sell for lowball amounts and usually pressure successfully to not let it happen to a colleague. They want to make gobs of money on the sale. It often happens that these lowballers soon learn the game and, if they come back, they do offer more dosh. I sense it won't happen soon enough here.

Quote:
Arco was built after the Kings had already moved to Sacramento.
BTW, there actually was a prefab place called "Arco Arena" built just in time for the Kings' arrival while they got moving on the "real" arena. It seated 10,000 IIRC. It was converted into an office building after its play days. I know some people will get confused if they research that one. It's not like the Kings moved into the Hornet's Nest when they first arrived.

Old
04-12-2013, 12:14 AM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
Thank you.

I really like KJ and everything that he's done for the city and this team, but those kind of comments are wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCSPounder View Post
Never mind the Kings; the only ways the city of Sacramento relates to Raley Field are the name of the team and the backdrop in the outfield. It's actually in West Sacramento, Yolo County... and just happens to be a bit of a walk from Old Sacramento over the Tower Bridge. I make that note because I find it interesting that the Rivercats kind of get a decent tax situation in what most people regard as a downtown stadium. Some people in Portland wish they were that lucky.
Yeah. I really don't understand the points that guy was making.

Quote:
Realism.

Why do I believe Chris Daniels? Simple. Where were the whales two years ago? There was no law two years ago (and only a semi-exclusivity agreement now) saying that you couldn't approach the Maloofs with an offer for the team. I think you have money people in/around Sacramento seeking to play the "thwarted white knight" in order to set up for whatever they want next... which may or may not be the Kings, or even sports. I'm sure the Maloofs received some lowball offers. BTW, much like the union doesn't like players giving back money or playing at below market value, other owners don't like to sell for lowball amounts and usually pressure successfully to not let it happen to a colleague. They want to make gobs of money on the sale. It often happens that these lowballers soon learn the game and, if they come back, they do offer more dosh. I sense it won't happen soon enough here.
I understand why Seattle has done what they have. They were waiting in the grass looking for the first possible team they could get. If Stern didn't bail out New Orleans for years, they'd be in Seattle right now.

I know local investors COULD have offered the Maloof's money, but it's hard to convince individuals to form a group and put the type of effort to get a team if there is no guarantee the seller even wants to sale. They don't want to waste their time.

Quote:
BTW, there actually was a prefab place called "Arco Arena" built just in time for the Kings' arrival while they got moving on the "real" arena. It seated 10,000 IIRC. It was converted into an office building after its play days. I know some people will get confused if they research that one. It's not like the Kings moved into the Hornet's Nest when they first arrived.
You know your stuff. And I appreciate the way you present it, as well.m

Old
04-12-2013, 11:11 AM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
http://www.sacbee.com/2013/04/12/533...s-wouldnt.html

Quote:
Before being completely surprised by the size of the Hansen/Ballmer offer, the Maloofs had rejected overtures from Ron Burkle and Larry Ellison. Ellison would have attempted to relocate the Kings to San Jose.

Old
04-12-2013, 11:17 AM
gstommylee

Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5
Let's use history as a guide. I'm told Hansen's group will file Master Use Permit next week, hopes to break ground on #SeattleArena by Nov.

Assuming we get the kings it sounds like the final vote will happen around november or sooner.

Old
04-12-2013, 01:06 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
Because the Maloof's hate Burkle....

Old
04-12-2013, 01:09 PM
gstommylee

I-91 lawsuit tossed!

Chris Daniels @ChrisDaniels5
BREAKING: King County Judge Dismisses I-91 Suit on #SeattleArena, says case is not ripe. More to come.

Essentially since the financial transaction document has not been approved or signed its too early to argue if such deal violates I-91 or not. The final $$ figure on how much Seattle is providing and how much Hansen is providing which will include mitigation costs has not been determined. Until that final document has been approved and signed they have no case to argue that it violates I-91.

Closed Thread