HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

OT: french lessons in toronto

Old
08-28-2006, 09:00 PM
e-e

vCash: 500
OT: french lessons in toronto

i just returned from my trip in newfoundland. i drove through newfoundland, nova scotia, new brunswick, quebec and ontario. i decided i must learn french. at least basic. i'm a hab fan and i can't understand simple sentence.

i live in toronto and here's my question.
what's the best way (except having a french girlfriend )to learn french? what would you recommend me guys? college? private lessons? any other ideas?

merci beaucoup

e-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 09:02 PM
Masao

Get a french girlfriend...

Masao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 09:03 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-e View Post
i just returned from my trip in newfoundland. i drove through newfoundland, nova scotia, new brunswick, quebec and ontario. i decided i must learn french. at least basic. i'm a hab fan and i can't understand simple sentence.

what's the best way (except having a french girlfriend )to learn french? what would you recommend me guys? college? private lessons? any other ideas?

merci beaucoup
Honestly, watching French TV is a good way of picking things up. I learned it in school, so I don't know what else to say. Lessons wouldn't be a bad idea.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 09:06 PM
e-e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Honestly, watching French TV is a good way of picking things up. I learned it in school, so I don't know what else to say. Lessons wouldn't be a bad idea.
well....i've been watching rds for 6 years now...honestly...if i didn't watch it i'd have no idea what's goin' on....i just wanna add that my english ain't the best one too...at least i understand

Old
08-28-2006, 09:10 PM
Habsfunk

The Alliance Francaise offers a variety of courses at all levels. They're located at Spadina and Bloor.

Habsfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 09:12 PM
e-e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfunk View Post
The Alliance Francaise offers a variety of courses at all levels. They're located at Spadina and Bloor.
that's kind of advice i was looking for...thanks...

Old
08-28-2006, 09:58 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

If you have free time and want to pick up some words here and there, what I did was buy a French-English pocket dictonary, then I would print out hockey articles from rds and take them to work where I would translate them from French to English. At first it took a long time (but I had a very, very boring job and needed 8 hours to kill) but after a couple times I started to be able to read through some articles without any help. The problem is when I hit slang or quotes from people.

That said I did not know any French other then the very very basics and never learned it in school or was ever around it. I did have some help from a friend in Quebec over the net she helped me get used to using French, that said I still stink at it but now at least I can read it ok when before I could barely read it at all. I still want to learn how to speak it better since I've only worked on reading it.

After that I want to learn Russian but that will take some time.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 10:07 PM
HABitual

Go to school

That's where I learned most of the French that I know.

HABitual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 10:15 PM
frederixx

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-e View Post

merci beaucoup
you don't need to have a french speaking girlfriend, but you could always go on a french dating site (ala reseaucontact) and start chatting up with people. add 2-3 people on your msn, chat with them on a regular basis, then, when you get more confident, get to the next step... the phone.

you could always do the same with a Habs fan...

frederixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 10:19 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by frederixx View Post
you don't need to have a french speaking girlfriend, but you could always go on a french dating site (ala reseaucontact) and start chatting up with people. add 2-3 people on your msn, chat with them on a regular basis, then, when you get more confident, get to the next step... the phone.

you could always do the same with a Habs fan...
I think he's coming onto you!

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 10:29 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I expect all the local community colleges have continuing education french courses, probably not super-expensive. (Centennial, Seneca, George Brown, etc). It also kind of depends on what kind of learner you are.

Me, I don't think I can pick up languages without having things written on paper, so the grammar lessons, the vocab, etc is crucial. Then watching TV is icing on the cake on top of that for some practical exposure (after all, you MUST subscribe to RDS anyway!). Luckily, I had french all the way through high school to get those fundamentals.

Other people can pick things up just fine from immersion, just the TV and girlfriend. Never worked for me, though. (I still don't speak my wife's language, for e.g., not for lack of her shouting it at me constantly. ).

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote