HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Adirondack Phantoms (2013-14 schedule in post #973)

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2013, 09:28 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Re: Couturier, I've been kicking around the idea next season – primary decision-maker for this franchise that I am – of a Schenn - Couturier - Simmonds "super youth" 2nd line. I don't remember who first proposed this, but it definitely intrigues me. This would go well with resigning Hall for another season and potentially having Laughton with the Flyers (though I'd rather he wait the extra year). Something like:

Hartnell – that captain guy – Voracek
Schenn – Couturier – Simmonds
Talbot – Laughton – Read
McGinn – Hall – the criminal

Depends, too, if Gagné gets resigned, which would bump Talbot down to the 4th line. As much as I'd like to retain Gagné, I like the balance of these lines for offense / defense.

If Laughton stays in the OHL, Talbot remains 4th line C, or we finally (FINALLY!) see the emergence of Holmstrom, and Hall is the 3rd line C. Talbot - Hall are the 1st PK line.

Of course, I'm taking for granted that Brière is gone by next season.
Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek

is cemented...

Rinaldo - Hall - Talbot

should be cemented...

That leaves 6 open spots for the remaining forwards:

Couturier, Schenn, Simmonds, Read, (Briere), Gagne, Laughton, McGinn, Cousins, Akeson, Flanagan

11 players could legitimately compete and move around in those 6 spots next year. Lavi has a ton of options, and while Cousins, Akeson, and Flanagan may appear to be long-shots at this stage of the game, we don't know how things are going to shape up.

It'll be an interesting camp.

Old
04-11-2013, 09:30 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post

is cemented...

Rinaldo - Hall - Talbot

should be cemented...

Couturier, Schenn, Simmonds, Read, (Briere), Gagne, Laughton, McGinn, Cousins, Akeson, Flanagan

11 players could legitimately compete and move around in those 6 spots next year. Lavi has a ton of options, and while Cousins, Akeson, and Flanagan may appear to be long-shots at this stage of the game, we don't know how things are going to shape up.

Maybe like this for the middle two lines:

Schenn-Couturier-Simmonds
Gagne-Laughton-Read

Or maybe this:

Read-Schenn-Simmonds
Gagne-Couturier-Laughton

Maybe something along those lines?

Old
04-11-2013, 09:33 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Maybe like this for the middle two lines:

Schenn-Couturier-Simmonds
Gagne-Laughton-Read

Or maybe this:

Read-Schenn-Simmonds
Gagne-Couturier-Laughton

Maybe something along those lines?
But that is under the assumption that McGinn does not make the team out of camp.

As far as those options are concerned though, I personally like the 1st option, but it really depends on whether or not Schenn can succeed on the wing.

Simmonds - Couturier - Schenn could be a monster 2nd line if Schenn is flexible enough for it.

Gagne - Laughton - Read would be awesome defensively.

Old
04-11-2013, 09:35 AM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Why slot Schenn on the wing? He's been a much better player as the center.

And honestly, I see them dealing Couturier with Laughton coming up

Old
04-11-2013, 09:35 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
But that is under the assumption that McGinn does not make the team out of camp.

As far as those options are concerned though, I personally like the 1st option, but it really depends on whether or not Schenn can succeed on the wing.

Simmonds - Couturier - Schenn could be a monster 2nd line if Schenn is flexible enough for it.

Gagne - Laughton - Read would be awesome defensively.
I really like those lines too but like u said it depends on Schenn.

Old
04-11-2013, 09:42 AM
Jack de la Hoya

I'd like to see the team put Schenn back on the wing for the final 8 games this year. What's there to lose? Hartnell is playing poorly anyway.

Schenn-Giroux-Voracek
Hartnell-Briere-Simmonds
Hall-Couturier-Read
Gagne-Fedotenko-Knuble
Rosehill

Old
04-11-2013, 09:55 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
I don't know if he has been that much better at center than he was at the end of last year on the wing. Besides that little hot streak he had with Voracek on his wing, he hasn't been that impressive. I would say he has been more noticeable for his poor defense and turnovers than good offensive production. IMO moving off the wing so quickly was another knee jerk reaction by Lavy, which are typically the only ones he has.

Old
04-11-2013, 10:12 AM
bennysflyers16

If we get a top 7 pick, I would be open to offering our pick and Couts or Brayden to get Jones if that is possible ? Whichever the team wants.

Old
04-11-2013, 10:34 AM
Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
If we get a top 7 pick, I would be open to offering our pick and Couts or Brayden to get Jones if that is possible ? Whichever the team wants.
As good as Jones may be in the future, that's waaaaaay to much of an over payment for someone who hasn't played a minute of NHL hockey yet.

Old
04-11-2013, 10:35 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Honestly, I'd rather just go for Nurse. He seems to have Flyers written all over him. He may not be a right shot, but would be damn nice to have.

Old
04-11-2013, 12:01 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Stolarz gave up 3 goals?! That's 1 a period. Man, the Knights had to score 4 just for a win. Stolarz better pick it up next game or I don't want to hear about him again.
I know you're just joking but the first two goals were pretty legit and the 3rd one was a pretty fluke goal. The second one he actually got a piece of if he would have saved it, it would have been a highlight reel save.

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/v...507176a853b2cd

Off topic but I love the missed call on the pick play that lead to London tying it. Brutal no call.

Old
04-11-2013, 12:35 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I know you're just joking but the first two goals were pretty legit and the 3rd one was a pretty fluke goal. The second one he actually got a piece of if he would have saved it, it would have been a highlight reel save.

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/v...507176a853b2cd

Off topic but I love the missed call on the pick play that lead to London tying it. Brutal no call.
Thanks for the link. I agree with all of the above, particularly the illegal interference on the game-tying goal. It's a shame they didn't replay the third goal (the flukey one) like they did with all the others; I had trouble seeing what the puck hit to go up and over Stolarz.

The only small, small criticism I would dare offer was on the first goal, where Stolarz bit on the first move; however, this was 47% on the defensive breakdown, but also 50% on the brilliant moves (jumping over the sprawling Knight) by the goal-scorer.

Old
04-11-2013, 12:50 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Unfortunately, that would probably be the price.

I would send Couts over Schenn. Let's keep the Schenns together. Weird to bring them here only to move one.

Realistically, I would rather move neither, keep assets, and select the BPA (that fits the organizational philosophy, strengthens, etc). I dislike losing talented bodies to be replaced by picks. The net loss is one player.

Old
04-11-2013, 12:51 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Thanks for the link. I agree with all of the above, particularly the illegal interference on the game-tying goal. It's a shame they didn't replay the third goal (the flukey one) like they did with all the others; I had trouble seeing what the puck hit to go up and over Stolarz.

The only small, small criticism I would dare offer was on the first goal, where Stolarz bit on the first move; however, this was 47% on the defensive breakdown, but also 50% on the brilliant moves (jumping over the sprawling Knight) by the goal-scorer.
Yeah he should have been a little more patient on that first one. He's got to be a little better there but I'm not going to take away from the shooter there that was an insane effort on a beautiful goal.

The second goal even though he didn't save it, it showed how unreal his combination of size and athleticism is. Just to have a chance to come back and almost get that when he was out of position on a cross ice goal from inside the faceoff circle.

Apparently he had a big time glove save in the second that many on the London board felt turned the game around. I wished they would have included it in the highlights.

I'm really hoping London makes the Memorial Cup so some of us here in the US can finally check some his games out on the NHL Network.

Old
04-11-2013, 12:54 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post

And honestly, I see them dealing Couturier with Laughton coming up
My primary objective was to give Couturier meaningful minutes with better linemates. I think the three of them together could become a dynamite 2nd scoring line who (with Couturier) are also defensively responsible. Couturier to me holds more promise as a C than Schenn, but that is way open for opinion and debate.

Old
04-11-2013, 01:06 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:

is cemented...

Rinaldo - Hall - Talbot

should be cemented...

That's assuming that all of those forwards are still on our roster. And considering the season we're having, I'd be shocked if our entire forward corps basically didn't change considering the current front office. I don't know who will move or for what, but I'd say at least 2 of those guys won't be here next year.

Old
04-11-2013, 02:06 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
Does anyone else think that Laughton is going to end up being a better point producer than Couturier, despite the drastic differences in their junior numbers? I just think his offense will translate better. As a big Couturier fan, I just don't see him becoming much of a big time offensive threat. I think he turns out to be like a Martin Hanzal type (and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that)
Call me when laughton can score PPG on that awful pha ntoms team...

It's like people forgot the lockout jeeze! Cooter was playing awesome...now its sophomore slump + super schedule!

How is RNH playing again? Yea cooter will be fine.

Old
04-11-2013, 02:19 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I've said it before, I'll say it again. The Knights are the Penguins of the OHL. Now you can see why too.

Old
04-11-2013, 03:16 PM
dats81

Quote:
That may or may not be an overpayment long term depending on Jones' actual development. He could either settle in at a high level becoming a consistent first paring defenseman but never reaching the ultimate elite level (like Kimmo Timonen), or turn into a franchise defenseman who carries the whole team on his shoulders.

Only in the latter case this price would be justified imho. Too much of a risk! in any case we would not know who won this deal until 4-5 years from now.

Old
04-11-2013, 07:58 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Honestly, I'd rather just go for Nurse. He seems to have Flyers written all over him. He may not be a right shot, but would be damn nice to have.
Yep, know need to give up that talent when Nurse is there.

Old
04-11-2013, 08:15 PM
Nerf27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
He may need to go back to the OHL to learn some discipline. For such a smart player, what he did was really dumb.
Guys. Oshawa fan here. Oh and a Flyers fan. I have seasons to the Generals games. I was also in Barrie and saw the hit and watched it several times. It was at worse a 2 min cross check. They Barrie player turned looked down to kick the puck up from his skates and Scotty caught him on the arm. The Barrie players did this and diving all series. Oshawa did not play well in the playoffs. Scotty came to play in the first series but the whole team had a let down from 5 minutes left in game one and never recovered. You have a great player and good kid in Laughton don't worry about his discipline it will be fine. He has been my fav player the last 3 years. IMO I send him back let him mature be the captain top the league in scoring and make the world juniors it would do him a world of good. I think today's NHL brings some of these kids in too early. Good luck with Scotty I will be following his career.

Old
04-11-2013, 09:14 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
I've said it before, I'll say it again. The Knights are the Penguins of the OHL. Now you can see why too.
Thanks for ruining my cheering of Stolarz.

Old
04-11-2013, 09:20 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Yep, know need to give up that talent when Nurse is there.
What if we are 3rd pick and Drouin is available. You have to take him, then I guess go trade route for Rundblad type ?

Old
04-11-2013, 09:26 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
What if we are 3rd pick and Drouin is available. You have to take him, then I guess go trade route for Rundblad type ?
You take Drouin and don't look back. However I don't think we end up picking inside the top 5. I'm thinking anywhere from the 5-10 range.

Old
04-11-2013, 09:31 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:

is cemented...

Rinaldo - Hall - Talbot

should be cemented...

Noebels needs to be in that mix too.

Closed Thread