HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Proposal: Atlanta & Buffalo

Old
08-27-2006, 12:24 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WpgPens View Post
Although I don't fully agree on your methods, I totally agree with the core point you were trying to make with this.

Rather than use facts and actual arguments with basis, most use their personal bias' to cloud their words and become reactive. Those that simply say "That doesn't work for MY team" or "Are you joking" type comments in similar posts are the problem here. Why doesn't it work for your team? Why would you think he is joking? Explain yourselves. Using one liner responses doesn't answer the question given, if you don't have a basis for your opinion, give it when you can or just read the response of those who do. Way too many ignorant remarks that lead the threads into endless nonsense imho.

Excluding the posters that put up absolute nonsense you all have to realize that the originators of these kinds of topics are trying to stir up conversation with their posts. Try thinking a bit objectively people. Way too many threads that start out as legitamate discussions or proposals end up useless arguments.

I'm done.
Thank you, you couldn't have said any better, really. I totally agree, the ones that are good end up as flamefests after a while.

At least you don't have to deal with some of the god-awful proposals on the Ranger boards. Some of them are just atrociously bad, and that's putting it nicely.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 03:39 AM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
The thing with Roy is that the Sabres are already right near the cap. Would you trade a player with Roy's upside who only costs 630K for anything but a huge overpayment? Like it or not, a player's salary is a big part of their trade value now. Roy's skyrockets because he's so cheap. He's the LAST Sabre that's going to be traded IMO...

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 09:33 AM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99 View Post
Yeah, I guess you're right.

That's why Martin Biron is still a Sabre... Quite the shocker.

Let me know how that deal works out.
It seemed to work out pretty well last year...

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 10:25 AM
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
The thing with Roy is that the Sabres are already right near the cap. Would you trade a player with Roy's upside who only costs 630K for anything but a huge overpayment? Like it or not, a player's salary is a big part of their trade value now. Roy's skyrockets because he's so cheap. He's the LAST Sabre that's going to be traded IMO...
How long is he signed?

Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 12:05 PM
Tristelune

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyFourFingers View Post
Bad deal for Buffalo..

Roy has more game than Slater at both ends of the ice.. and Coburn is looking more and more like a flop.. he is still young and can easily turn it around (big defensemen typically have slower learning curves) but I don't see Buffalo going for this.
Yeah but as for Slater, last season was his first pro-season! He skip the AHL and still show great thing. This kid can only get better!

Tristelune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 02:26 PM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Jazz View Post
How long is he signed?
He is an RFA after this year. He accepted his QO in June.

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 02:29 PM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99 View Post
This is the kind of statement that explains the reason why trade proposals on these forums SUCK, in a nutshell.

No one wants to give up anything to get anything, and if they do have to give up something, then other team should have to give up the world to get something. That's NOT how it works in real life.

Who do you think Roy and Pominville are, Malkin and Ryan??? Ovechkin and Staal? Because there's only one other young player in the NHL I'd terribly overpay for aside from those two, and that's Crosby. Putting Roy and Pominville on a level with those three is RIDICULOUS.
Hey don't discredit Pominville too much, he scored as many goals in the first round as the whole Rangers team did

TVanek26* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 03:36 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBriere48 View Post
Hey don't discredit Pominville too much, he scored as many goals in the first round as the whole Rangers team did
ZING!

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 04:02 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
It makes for an interesting proposal though from the Buffalo side it would have to be contingent on them getting one of either Drury or Briere signed to some sort of extension. As has been mentioned, both being UFA and with Connolly's future still in doubt by many... they could have some thin pickings at centre very quickly. Considering Roy is also going to have arbitration rights next summer, he could very easily shoot up the payroll chart in short order. Moving him for a solid player of Slater's abilities and someone in Coburn who -- as was mentioned -- has upside and is on the "big defenseman" development path (like say Bryan Allen) could make sense from a Buffalo POV.

As for Atlanta, while they may have a need a centre, does moving a Fisher-type player in Slater as well as a recent top-10 draftee get them better value? Roy brings a lot to the table in all three zones, true, yet do they part with that sort of young talent to make the deal? Waddell plucked Savard for relatively little, I wouldn't be surprised if he is trying to find someone who has good offensive instincts for a relatively low cost yet again.

Last edited by Chainshot: 08-28-2006 at 04:47 PM.
Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 04:38 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

As untradable as I feel Roy is, the deal is a good starting point. I'd probably pull the trigger if Briere and Drury were both locked up long term, but that's not happening, so neither will the deal.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 06:49 PM
Fan-of-#9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuddy View Post
As untradable as I feel Roy is, the deal is a good starting point. I'd probably pull the trigger if Briere and Drury were both locked up long term, but that's not happening, so neither will the deal.
If Roy is traded, I'd package him for a "can't miss" player - not 2 unproven commodities.

Fan-of-#9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 09:24 PM
billsandsabres
nhl 94 aficianado

value wise i think its fair, but sabres fans LOVE roy so it's a tough sell

billsandsabres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 10:23 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan-of-#9 View Post
If Roy is traded, I'd package him for a "can't miss" player - not 2 unproven commodities.
That might be over-pricing Derek a tad bit. Unfortunately, I don't think his trade value is as high around the league as the fans make it out to be, myself included.

I don't want Roy to go, so I'm done with this debate

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2006, 04:27 AM
Safir*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
It makes for an interesting proposal though from the Buffalo side it would have to be contingent on them getting one of either Drury or Briere signed to some sort of extension. As has been mentioned, both being UFA and with Connolly's future still in doubt by many... they could have some thin pickings at centre very quickly. Considering Roy is also going to have arbitration rights next summer, he could very easily shoot up the payroll chart in short order. Moving him for a solid player of Slater's abilities and someone in Coburn who -- as was mentioned -- has upside and is on the "big defenseman" development path (like say Bryan Allen) could make sense from a Buffalo POV.

As for Atlanta, while they may have a need a centre, does moving a Fisher-type player in Slater as well as a recent top-10 draftee get them better value? Roy brings a lot to the table in all three zones, true, yet do they part with that sort of young talent to make the deal? Waddell plucked Savard for relatively little, I wouldn't be surprised if he is trying to find someone who has good offensive instincts for a relatively low cost yet again.
I totally forgot about Drury and that's why I thought that most Sabres fan raized good points so far. Thanks for showing a new perspective on the subject.

Resigning Drury or/ and Briere long term might be cheaper, than the arbitration award for Roy. Slater and Coburn can be signed to relatively cheap contracts, while the Thrashers can afford to accept a relatively high arbitration award to Roy.

Waddell has six centers on the roster at the moment. The trade proposal is supposed to be a backup plan for the case that none of the current Thrashers center are up the #1 and #2 line job.

I figure that Roy has pretty big offensive upside and is close to being a complete player and therefore worth both ex-first rounders.

Don Waddell has also stated that he's willing to move one of the many defensive prospects in exchange for an impact center.

Safir* is offline   Reply With Quote