HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I was wrong (the confession booth)

Old
04-11-2013, 10:10 PM
Lafleurs Guy

vCash: 500
I was wrong (the confession booth)

And it feels good. The team is in the playoffs and fighting for 1st. Never thought it was possible this year but it's happened. The rebuild is over.

Come one. Come all. Repent your sins and have them washed away. The confession booth is open.

And please, let's limit the booth to how you were wrong about the team. I don't want to hear about how you like to make love to dead dolphins or something messed up like that.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 10:11 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Still want to sell Markov ?

It's okay, not many tought we would be this good. To be honest, everything is going well right now.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 10:16 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

I was convinced Leblanc would explode and make the team as a top-6. I even started a thread about it.

I thought we would miss the playoffs by a bit.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 10:16 PM
Beendair Donedat

I wanted to trade Plekanec. That was wrong.

Beendair Donedat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 10:17 PM
schumway2

Well first off I don't think the rebuild is over. There`s going to be a lot of turnover on this team that`s still to come.

As for things I was wrong about....nothing.

schumway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 10:18 PM
JustAHabFan

I was doubting Markov.

JustAHabFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 10:18 PM
Noob616

I thought we'd be in the 7-10 range and we'd either clinch in the last 2 games or just miss the playoffs. Boy was I ever wrong.

Noob616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 10:19 PM
Habnot

Montreal fans are knowledgeable, boy was I wrong (see one of hundreds of anti-Price threads)

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 10:20 PM
MasterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
And it feels good. The team is in the playoffs and fighting for 1st. Never thought it was possible this year but it's happened. The rebuild is over.

Come one. Come all. Repent your sins and have them washed away. The confession booth is open.

And please, let's limit the booth to how you were wrong about the team. I don't want to hear about how you like to make love to dead dolphins or something messed up like that.
Let's call this a creative idea... not sure where you got that from...

MasterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 10:21 PM
Pax Macioretty

Well, I wanted another another rebuild season because I didn't think we were ready to compete in the higher echelon, which I was obviously wrong. I knew we were far better than a 15th place team, but not like this.

Right now the Habs have the best top 9 in the whole league, our 3rd line would be a 2nd line in about 20 teams right now and that says a lot about our balanced offense. All that we are going to be 1 of the most ready teams against the lower cap next summer plus we have a ton of good prospects who will make an impact in the next 3-5 years.

Pax Macioretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 10:24 PM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
I wanted to trade Plekanec. That was wrong.
Bah, it depends how you see it. Plekanec could give us a MASSIVE return st the draft. We all know that Galchenyuk won't be a left winger forever and Eller is more than capable of handling the defensive reaponsibilities. For this season though, Plekanec's experience is paying off big time.

Pax Macioretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 10:24 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

I thought our D was paper thin and would suck ass.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 10:25 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
MVP

vCash: 567
Oh boy, where to begin:

- I predicted we would have a top 5 pick the day on that Sunday when the lockout was unofficially over.

- I thought Gallagher was nowhere near NHL ready and hated that he was kept up when I felt he needed more AHL time.

- I did not think it was smart to keep Galchenyuk up beyond the 5 games, especially after the first game, totally felt he should be sent back to Sarnia.

- I thought Prust was nothing but a deluxe 4th liner.

- I did not buy into Bourque rebounding and being a key contributor.

- I figured 1 of Markov/Gionta would be a massive disappointment after missing so much time last year.

- Thought MT was just nuts with the early season Eller benching.

- Felt the defence was too small to have consistent success as a team.

- Had zero confidence in Budaj, especially after his first 2 starts.

- Totally thought the wheels were coming off after the 6-0 loss to the Leafs AND blowing that 3-0 lead in TB in about 2 minutes. They responded by going 14-1-4.

To my credit, I knew Cole was going to suck/underwhelm this year the way he was playing early on. So I got one right.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 10:27 PM
coolasprICE

I love what's happening but part of me is a bit concerned if the teams success is just a reflection of modern NHL, where each year different teams finish top in the conference.

Case in point - look at the contrast from last year to this year in the east:

Florida (finished 3rd in conference, this year lotto pick), Philly (finished with 103 points , this year bottom 6), NY (top in the east to bubble team)...And of course, us Montreal (we know what happened).

In the present, we can always draw the reasons and excuses to justify the change in rankings, but the same will be said next year when insert the team here___ turns it around and claims that 2012-2013 was insert your reason here ___ .

Staying injury free is obviously more important in todays NHL than ever. I hope the Canadiens can ''at the top'' for many years, but I'm just hesitant to suggest that the pain of mediocrity is all but over.

With all this said, it's hard not to love our core!

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 10:28 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post

3 Hail Bergies for your sins.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 10:32 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 50
I wanted Barkov and came to terms in the off-season that it would take a bottom 4 finish and was mentally ok with it. So I was wrong in ranking them at the bottom for the sole purpose of a draft choice.

No reason we can't still get Barkov though, get it done MB!

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 10:32 PM
jwolf

I entertained ideas of moving Markov and Plekanec. Not during the season, but this summer, because I felt we had a strong chance of making the PO's and maybe they can help some of the young guys. But in no way did I think we would be THIS good!

Yah, don't really want to trade them anymore...

jwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 10:34 PM
Captain Saku

I was wrong about Markov and Diaz.

Also thought Galchenyuk should've stayed in junior, Gallagher spend the full year in Hamilton and instead play Leblanc in the top 6. Also thought Prust was terribly overpaid.

Last but not least, I thought Beaulieu needed 2 full seasons in the AHL before cracking the lineup. That Eller would never be more than an average 3rd liner and that Bourque was done.

Feels good now.

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 10:35 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

I think everyone is wrong. I had them at 6th (I think I do every year regardless if I think they are good or bad ), but no way I had them finishing in the Top-4 in the Eastern Conference which they are lock for.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 10:36 PM
MasterD

I actually feel good about most things:
-Always supported Price (vs Halak in those 1000s of threads)
-Thought Bourque could come back strong
-Thought Galchenyuk would stay
-Thought we would make the playoffs (but not top of the division)
-Always doubted Leblanc, am not surprised he's in the AHL. Hoping for the best, but I never saw him as a guy with good enough vision and hands to make an impact in the NHL. 3rd liner similar to Higgins is my guess, not sure he'll get there.

The one thing where I REALLY doubted was Michel Therrien. Never in a hundred years did I think he'd be the chosen one. Even after his selection, I thought he was going to s*** like his first time here. BOY WAS I WRONG!

Also thought Gallagher wouldn't make the team out of camp, but I thought he'd be the first call-up so I'm not that surprised about his season.

MasterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 10:38 PM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
I love what's happening but part of me is a bit concerned if the teams success is just a reflection of modern NHL, where each year different teams finish top in the conference.

Case in point - look at the contrast from last year to this year in the east:

Florida (finished 3rd in conference, this year lotto pick), Philly (finished with 103 points , this year bottom 6), NY (top in the east to bubble team)...And of course, us Montreal (we know what happened).

In the present, we can always draw the reasons and excuses to justify the change in rankings, but the same will be said next year when insert the team here___ turns it around and claims that 2012-2013 was insert your reason here ___ .

Staying injury free is obviously more important in todays NHL than ever. I hope the Canadiens can ''at the top'' for many years, but I'm just hesitant to suggest that the pain of mediocrity is all but over.

With all this said, it's hard not to love our core!
Flyers have one D that produces any offence and their goalie gets out of the way of pucks, Rangers gutted their grit and messed huge with their chemistry, Florida don't know. We are actually good and will be better next year with the younger guys climbing the learning curve and MB doing his thing. Have faith brother, this isn't a dream, its reality.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 10:38 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

I thought we would be better than last year but I thought we would likely be in a dog fight for 8th spot at best. I let negativity get the best of me and wanted to prolong the tank surgically for another 48 games.

But I'm sure if you ask MB and MT, they'll be the first ones to be surprised at how well we are actually doing.

It feels good to be wrong.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 10:40 PM
Et le But

I thought the team had one more year left of being a bottom feeder. I defended our center depth going into this year but I was very pessimistic about our wingers and defense, and I was wrong on both counts.

I was optimistic overall about this team going forward and against trading core players, but I didn't think Gallagher and Galchenyuk would be nearly as comfortable in the NHL as they are right away, and after trades last year I didn't expect our depth to click so quickly.

This team is at least a year ahead of where I thought it would be.

Therrien is about twice the coach I was expecting.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 10:41 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Therrien has been way better than I expected.

Overall, felt the team would challenge for a lottery pick, especially after the 1st game of the season and that stretch where the Habs blew a 2 goal lead vs the Sabres and then got blown out 6-0 by the Leafs.

Gallagher staying on with the club proves to be very good decision. Kid has been easily one of the reasons for the team's turn around.

Bouillon has been a great bottom pairing D, though I disagree with re-signing him so quick but I guess that's another thing to be wrong about in the future hopefully.

Thought Galchenyuk would not given enough icetime. I don't think a contending team could have brought up a kid who's had about 40 junior games in 2 years any better. Coaching staff doesn't have the luxury that the Oilers and Panthers have with Yakupov and Huberdeau.

Thought Bourque would be the same player as last season. Looks as if he can be a decent 3rd liner if he can maintain his play (hasn't been 20 games).

Gionta still has some game left.

I had doubts about Beaulieu being possibly Campoli-esque

Whoever Therrien hired to run the D is very good.

Thought Leblanc would be a beast...essentially be the 'Gallagher' type young presence.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 10:44 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 50
I picked them to win the NE last year, does that count as close enough?

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote