HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Expectations for Patrick Eaves?

Old
08-23-2006, 02:45 PM
John Druce
Flynt Flossy

vCash: 500

Hi Sens Fans....

Patrick Eaves was a very, very consistent point producer in the NCAA. I thought that he did an admirable job of adjusting to the pro game last season. What do you guys expect of him this year now that a few main offensive cogs have been sent on their way out of Ottawa? What type of role do you see him playing on in the future?

John Druce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2006, 02:55 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

He will more than likely be playing with Spezza and Heatley while even strength but he most likely won't get #1 PP time. If he stays in that role all year I would probobly expect 30 goals and 60 points or so.

Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2006, 02:59 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

He's an interesting case in that he had a weak training camp despite being the prospect most expected to stick with the team, and ended up beginning the 2005-2006 campaign in the minors.

After being called up, he played at a level which resulted in him sticking with the team and was retained over Brandon Bochenski who was dealt for Tyler Arnason.

With Smolinski and Havlat gone, 2 spots in Ottawa's top-six are open, and Eaves is probably the most expected to fill one of those spots, with Vermette, Schaefer or Fisher perhaps being the other.

He displayed a good facility for generating chemistry with his linemates, wasn't afraid to go to the net, and had intriguing playmaknig and offensive capabilities. He's also fearless, although (thankfully) he's apparently dialed down his aggression somewhat since college. The fact that every goalmouth scrum tended to end with him getting punched in the face just goes to show that he's good at getting under the skin of his opponents.

I'd pencil him at anywhere from 20-30 goals, 50-60 points depending on whether he's used extensively on the PP.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2006, 03:01 PM
Sens are like Whoa

Here's a couple lengthly discussions on Eaves...

General thought: Most people want to see him play within the top two lines, and expect him to have a good season.

Eaves Discussion

Another

Sens are like Whoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2006, 03:20 PM
John Druce
Flynt Flossy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens are like Whoa View Post
Here's a couple lengthly discussions on Eaves...

General thought: Most people want to see him play within the top two lines, and expect him to have a good season.

Eaves Discussion

Another

Thanks.

I have not seen Eaves play too much...does he have impressive stick skills?

John Druce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2006, 09:44 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallard View Post
Thanks.

I have not seen Eaves play too much...does he have impressive stick skills?
Not really but he does have impressive hockey sense.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2006, 04:30 AM
Heatley4Hart*

30 goals 40 assists 70pts

I dont see why he can't do that considering what he did playing 4th line minutes in 58 games scoring 20 goals. He will most likely be playing on a top 2 line and can play either wing, his natural RW or LW like he has pretty much all last year on the Sens.

Heatley4Hart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2006, 07:41 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatley4Hart View Post
4I dont see why he can't do that considering what he did playing 4th line minutes in 58 games scoring 20 goals. He will most likely be playing on a top 2 line and can play either wing, his natural RW or LW like he has pretty much all last year on the Sens.
He could, but then again he could experience a bit of a sophmore slump as well.

Players generally improve but not necessarily season-to-season.

The difference will probably be whether he plays a lot on the PP and is moderately successful there.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2006, 08:42 AM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
Quote:

I dont see why he can't do that considering what he did playing 4th line minutes in 58 games scoring 20 goals. He will most likely be playing on a top 2 line and can play either wing, his natural RW or LW like he has pretty much all last year on the Sens.
My initial reaction to this estimate is that it's a little lofty. That is asking him to more than double his point production from last year. I could see 30 goals if he has a great season considering he had 20 last year, but he only had 9 assists. Jumping from 9 to 40 assists is a major jump considering that he's not really a "playmaker" type.

I am pretty sure that Eaves has the potential to put up points like that eventually, but I think that this year might be asking too much of the kid.

Brad Richards is commonly regarded as being one of the better players of the last 6 or so years when it comes to year by year improvement. He put up the same amount of points in his 2nd year as he did in his rookie year and then there was a consistant 5 to 10 point year improvment each susequant year.

So if we lose that logic...if Eaves is able to equal his point production this year and then put up the likes of a 40 point season in his 3rd year and a 50 point season in his 4th year he's doing quite well.

What I'd personally like to see from him this year is to match the 20 goals he had in his rookie season and try to double his assists...

A 20 goal - 20 assist season is what I'd like to see from him I guess.

SensGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2006, 10:43 AM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Eaves and Team Potential

I too think that given it's his softmore year and some of our other players who have been around for awhile may take some of the PP time away from him as well. I like the idea of pairing Eaves with Spezza more and more although that would be a young line, it would free up Alfredson to play with Kaigs if he comes over as some are speculating and force Eaves to be the defensive presence on that line which may deminsion his scoring potential. I see between 40 and 50 points for Eaves in his softmore year anything more is gravy.

This is the line up I expect will start the season with conservative estimates:

Heatley 80 - Spezza 80 - Eaves 40 = 200 point potential
- Eaves tenacity, speed and defensive ability will improve the overall balance of this line. Also, with all the shots Heatley takes and all of the passes that Spezza makes, Eaves tendency to go to the front of the net should serve him well picking up garbage goals off these guys. I also expect Spezza to score more this year.

McAmmond 25 - Kaigorodov 50 - Alfredson 100 = 175 point potential
- the long name line. Both vets should help the kid out in his first season in the NHL. I could also see either Mcammond or Alfredson trading places with Eaves at any point. If Kaigs works out here Vermette could be on the blocks come trade deadline time or visa versa. I believe Dean was brought in to play on one of the top two lines, maybe the 3rd but definately not the 4th unless his play dictates it.

Schaefer 40 - Fisher 40 - Neil 20 = 100 point potential plus ...
- they were great last year and I would expect nothing less from this trio this year. I could also see Murray trying Fisher at power forward with either the 1st or 2nd unit because he is bigger and tougher than Eaves but a little less skilled.

Kelly 25 - Vermette 35 - Hamel 25 = 85 point potential plus ...
Although most expect Vermette to play on either of the top two lines, I could also see these three together again as they were in Bingo with great success. Expect Gratts to suit up against certain teams for the intimidation factor. Hamel must score often to stay with this team and it remains to be seen whether he will be able to on the 4th line with limited minutes.

We now have 3 lines that can score and 3 pairs of defencemen who can also score. I could see this team breaking their own team scoring records but we also have to keep in mind that everybodies minutes with the exception of a chosen few will go down this year because of the new players brought in and hopefully with less injuries. If Kaigs does come over we are now carrying 22 roster players with Schubert and Gratts being the extra two. Will they break camp with that number remains to be seen but they do have some extra assets to trade with should they feel they need to improve anywhere.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2006, 11:10 AM
The Lehner
#LehnerTime

I think Eaves will score around 25 goals and 45-50 points, assuming he plays on a line with Spezza and Heatley. His production will also depend on how much time he gets on the power play (and on which unit).

The Lehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2006, 12:52 PM
CaptainVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo Huxtable View Post
I think Eaves will score around 25 goals and 45-50 points, assuming he plays on a line with Spezza and Heatley. His production will also depend on how much time he gets on the power play (and on which unit).
I agree.

around 50 points max 25+ goals

CaptainVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2006, 08:29 PM
trentmccleary

Expectations? ... I expect him to have gained 10-15 pounds of muscle over the summer. All improvements in play and production will stem largely from his offseason work.

Offensively? ... Depends on his role. He could be the 1st line LW or 3rd line RW and I'd probably give him a 20 point swing between those two roles.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2006, 08:50 PM
Skrymir

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
Expectations? ... I expect him to have gained 10-15 pounds of muscle over the summer. All improvements in play and production will stem largely from his offseason work.

Offensively? ... Depends on his role. He could be the 1st line LW or 3rd line RW and I'd probably give him a 20 point swing between those two roles.
If he added 10-15lbs. in MUSCLE, I'd be suspicious of how he gained it.

I look for him to get 2nd PP time and at least spend some of the season on the top 2lines. If he gets that I could see 45-55 pts a realistic number.

Skrymir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2006, 09:24 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrymir View Post
If he added 10-15lbs. in MUSCLE, I'd be suspicious of how he gained it.
If Daigle did it in the summer of 96...

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2006, 09:27 PM
billsandsabres
nhl 94 aficianado

26-23-49

billsandsabres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2006, 05:29 AM
Heatley4Hart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGod View Post
Jumping from 9 to 40 assists is a major jump considering that he's not really a "playmaker" type.
Patrick Eaves was first and formost a playmaking great 'passer' as a prospect, not a goal scorer. His 9 assists was a reflection of the 4th liners he was running with. He could finish in his limited chances with limited ice time, but they could not. Put him on a line with Spezza and Heater and he could get 40 assits EASILY over much of the full season.

And Eaves can pass, that is for certain if you have watched him play. I still remember that amazing cross ice pass he made to Patrick O'Sullivan to beat Canada couple of years ago at the WJC.

Heatley4Hart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2006, 06:51 AM
DEATHtrap

Quote:
Patrick Eaves was first and formost a playmaking great 'passer' as a prospect, not a goal scorer. His 9 assists was a reflection of the 4th liners he was running with. He could finish in his limited chances with limited ice time, but they could not. Put him on a line with Spezza and Heater and he could get 40 assits EASILY over much of the full season.

And Eaves can pass, that is for certain if you have watched him play. I still remember that amazing cross ice pass he made to Patrick O'Sullivan to beat Canada couple of years ago at the WJC.
I'm not going to make any assist projections, but I could see Eaves making a susbstantial increase in this statistical area. Last season's rookie camp had me convinced Eaves was a playmaker, not a sniper.

DEATHtrap is offline   Reply With Quote