HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canes at Caps 7PM, April 11, 2013

Old
04-11-2013, 10:30 PM
itsjustsurvival
The Revisionist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Brouwer has more goals this season than Datsyuk, Giroux, Eberle, Perry and Kessel. Mind blown.
Wow. You just blew my mind as well.

itsjustsurvival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 10:32 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

I really wanna see Erat back in the lineup. It will help the 2nd line tremendously.

caps4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 10:33 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Brouwer has more goals this season than Datsyuk, Giroux, Eberle, Perry and Kessel. Mind blown.
Come on, you follow the team that has Ovechkin and you don't know that ENG don't count?

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 10:33 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by caps4cup View Post
I really wanna see Erat back in the lineup. It will help the 2nd line tremendously.
He could play on Saturday according to Oates.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 10:37 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
He could play on Saturday according to Oates.
Good because the 2nd line has been brutal lately. Turnovers on turnovers...and not possessing the puck well enough. Of course, they did have Volpatti on their line, so Erat will definitely help.

Old
04-11-2013, 10:37 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Also I think Chimera has looked much better lately. When Wardo comes back do you see Chimera or Fehr going down to the 4th line?

Old
04-11-2013, 10:38 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caps4cup View Post
Also I think Chimera has looked much better lately. When Wardo comes back do you see Chimera or Fehr going down to the 4th line?
Chimera.

Old
04-11-2013, 10:39 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

I wonder how much of this third period shooting gallery stuff is due to Caps suckage and how much is due to Oates trying to teach them how to hunker down and protect a lead in his system.

Old
04-11-2013, 10:51 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Chimera.
Yeah, please. Ward's return should make the 3rd line much more effective. 16-85-42 isn't a bad line...with Erat out it's probably properly the 2nd line.

I have a feeling Ward could be out a little longer though.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 10:55 PM
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca

Besides Holtby, the best part of tonight's game was the fact that we won without needing a Herculean effort from our Captain.

AlexBrovechkin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 10:56 PM
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
Yeah, please. Ward's return should make the 3rd line much more effective. 16-85-42 isn't a bad line...with Erat out it's probably properly the 2nd line.

I have a feeling Ward could be out a little longer though.
Yeah, bad feeling about that one. Shouldn't be this sore this long after the incident from just a bruise.

AlexBrovechkin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 11:04 PM
amjay13
HFBoards Sponsor

Ward will miss Saturday's game but be back Tuesday.

amjay13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 11:39 PM
Finlandia WOAT

Hi guys! (Buzzed) 'Canes fan here. In my quest for objectivity, I have several questions:

Who stood out the most for the 'Canes tonight (both good and bad)? How would you describe the 'Canes game tonight? Overall, what does it mean to be playing the Carolina Hurricanes-what are our strengths and weaknesses in general?

Thank you for your non-flaming answers.

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 11:42 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrovechkin8 View Post
Yeah, bad feeling about that one. Shouldn't be this sore this long after the incident from just a bruise.
It's probably less severe but similar to what happened to Wideman two years ago. I'm sure he'll be fine, but he shouldn't be rushed back at all.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 12:27 AM
IafrateOvie34

The unsung hero question was a tough one for me. I am torn between Hendricks or Olesky.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 12:28 AM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway to Cap Hell View Post
Hi guys! (Buzzed) 'Canes fan here. In my quest for objectivity, I have several questions:

Who stood out the most for the 'Canes tonight (both good and bad)? How would you describe the 'Canes game tonight? Overall, what does it mean to be playing the Carolina Hurricanes-what are our strengths and weaknesses in general?

As for Caps killer, Tlusty is becoming one. He had a few chances tonight and a hatty the last game.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 12:40 AM
FloridaCap
Beaglechuk Mania

vCash: 2833
Quote:

Stood out for the Canes....hmm... I've noticed Jordan Staal in be a non-factor in every single one of the matchups this year. On the flip side, (you surely know this one already) that first line of Tlusty-Staal-Semin is SCARY. Tonight I thought the Canes played great for the most part. Holtby pretty much stole the game. While Skinner scored, he seems to be a bit of a one-trick pony. He always tries that partial spin move, never passes, and shoots from extreme angles.

Strengths for the Canes, imo: Puck possession, puck possession, puck possession. Once they start cycling it's tough to stop 'em without giving up a few really good scoring chances. Weaknesses... the defense. Everyone blames not having Ward, but the defense pretty much blows. Also very little toughness from what I've seen, and the Caps aren't even a tough team in that department.

FloridaCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 03:12 AM
Zorak

Quote:

Canes are soft and mentally fragile. I always felt that Ward is the guy who provides confidence for your team. No saves by Ward - no confidence whatsoever.

Skinner doesn't look 100% after his concussion, but he's getting better and tonight he was one of the best players. Defense was pretty bad without Pitkanen - his heel injury really hurt your team.

The East is pretty even last couple of years - a lot of very average teams, and healthy Canes could have easily got into playoffs. I would wait for the next season before going all negative, if I were you.

Zorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 07:13 AM
BobRouse

My take:

I like the run and gun the Canes play. To use that style and win however you really have to have your top dmen and goalie. They lack toughness tho.

All our Dmen had moments of glory. They broke up several odd man breaks (Canes will get those based on how they push the play).

When we have a lead we always lock down and trap in the 3rd period and one reason why we get outshot so much.

This Mike Green guy is good at hockey. We should probably trade him while his value is high....

Erskine is a much improved player. Beast.

1st line still looks dominant and dangerous.

Wolski showed flashes of life. Maybe he got the message?

Glad to see Brouwer back on track. The guy plays hard and physical. Sure he says some silly things but at least he's vocal. Caps fans seem to have displeasure when it comes to vocal players like him and Laich. I guess he really doesn't care for Semin much.

Semin was good for them. He was dangerous all night.

Great game by Holtby obviously.

I dig Oates demeanor. And again I will repeat I love how articulate he is. BB was bombastic and gregarious. Hunter was boring and tight lipped. Oates is damn interesting and intelligent yet has a great temperament.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 07:41 AM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

vCash: 2714
Accurate obs on the coaches, I would say. I think players tend to become an extension of their coach. Oates has already overcome the adversity a lot of coaches hit a little farther down the road. Players are buying in.

I know I am beating a deadhorse, but anyone notice how you hear defensemen called out by name for making a great play. Last night alone, Carlson saves a goal. Green scores a goal. Erskine numerous strong plays. Hillen sliding taking out a 2 on 1. I am not sure I have heard Sarge's name called out in years, fans all cheering him. Maybe 5 times in his entire career.

Long story short, it appears the overall play of defensemen has ticked up lately. Possibly from just Hillen taking over for Sarge. But I think its also Oates getting the guys with offense joining the rush. Bruce would have them pinch for keep ins a lot, but not so much join the rush.

Oates an offensive mind seems dialed in on getting the most of Green Carlson and Hillen offensively. We can live with their inevitable gaffes when they rack up points.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 07:46 AM
BobRouse

Heck even Erskine and Oleksy are producing somewhat offensively.

I saw Alzner on 2 different occassions behind the Canes goal line and he also had a quality chance at the top of the circle too.

Our D is definitely more noticable and aggressive on the attack.

Hillen plays a good deal like Tom Poti did a few years ago. Good skater, not very physical, smart smart smart. He makes those same little plays to breakout of the zone that can go unnoticed unless you watch carefully. Very smooth.

Old
04-12-2013, 07:56 AM
Blades of Steel
log off.

vCash: 50
And.... Hillen went from taking 1-2 minor penalties a game to Zero, he's improved quite a bit for us lately.

Blades of Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 07:56 AM
Roughing

Holtby is the future. What a game.

Erat will likely go Saturday and Ward probably next week. Both will be a big help.

Roughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 08:12 AM
BobRouse

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...0a4_story.html

Mike Wise with perhaps his best column ever...or only good one ever...

Old
04-12-2013, 08:34 AM
marcel snapshot

Holtby was in his zen beast mode last night. Thought Beagle and Wolski played well in their limited minutes (Wolski had a puck battle with Marc-Andre Bergeron, and I've seen more physicality from 2 kittens pawing at yarn).

But the D play was troubling. The 'Canes forward blew wide on our D guys at least 4 times in the first 15 minutes. If we face the Islanders in the playoffs and I'm one of their coaches, I show my forwards a video of that 1st period to get them salivating.

That's not all on the D either - our forwards were completely checked out at the beginning of the game so there was no back pressure at all, no resistance in the neutral zone, and the speedy 'Canes (are they really that speedy, or did we just make em look it) could shift to hyper-drive as they were hitting the blue line. And yes we were missing 3 of our most defensively responsible forwards. Still, those first minutes exposed our vulnerability to an opponent with team speed.

And we still suck at clearing the zone.

marcel snapshot is offline   Reply With Quote