HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-08-2013, 01:47 PM
Eastside

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
Is saying the current Whitecaps are a major league sports franchise (perhaps) a touch of hyperbole? Games from the top European leagues are fast, and the players are extremely skillful, which makes the game exciting. I watch the Whitecaps, and find the games a bit slow-paced, and too many of the players lack on-the-ball skills to consider them 'major league' players. That being said, we can certainly accept them for who they are: a member of a growing league that is developing, and hopefully (one day) will compete with the European leagues for 'major' league stature.
I think its getting there. 19 teams in the league. Attendance of over 20, 000 in almost every stadium, and sometimes a whole lot more than that. National TV broadcasts. Obviously its not the MLB, NFL, NBA or NHL (the big 4 as they are sometimes called), but I don't think its a stretch to refer to the MLS as a major sport.

Old
04-08-2013, 02:00 PM
Samzilla
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastside View Post
I think its getting there. 19 teams in the league. Attendance of over 20, 000 in almost every stadium, and sometimes a whole lot more than that. National TV broadcasts. Obviously its not the MLB, NFL, NBA or NHL (the big 4 as they are sometimes called), but I don't think its a stretch to refer to the MLS as a major sport.
And MLS is now third in attendance, above NHL and NBA.

Old
04-08-2013, 03:18 PM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastside View Post
I am making comment on the talent of the players in the league. For a league to be considered 'major' it's players need to be the top of the talent pool. The NHL, NBA, MLB, and NFL are the Noth American major league sports, because the players are at the top of their profession. In time (one would expect) the players in the MLS to be the top of their profession too, but that is not yet the case. The European leagues are where the most talented players are, thus those leagues would be 'major, and the MLS developing. Hopefully, the MLS does not follow the path of the NASL and try to develop too quickly.

Old
04-08-2013, 05:23 PM
Basso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzilla View Post
And MLS is now third in attendance, above NHL and NBA.
This is good for MLS no doubt but I wonder what the average ticket price MLS wide is compared to NBA/NHL.

Old
04-08-2013, 08:51 PM
the beat
cursum perficio

The MLS can't compete financially with the top European leagues right now. Top players won't be coming to North America until their wages become competitive. I don't know or care enough about the economics of the MLS to know how far off we are from that, but I would imagine it's a long ways.

Old
04-09-2013, 10:57 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
I am making comment on the talent of the players in the league. For a league to be considered 'major' it's players need to be the top of the talent pool. The NHL, NBA, MLB, and NFL are the Noth American major league sports, because the players are at the top of their profession. In time (one would expect) the players in the MLS to be the top of their profession too, but that is not yet the case. The European leagues are where the most talented players are, thus those leagues would be 'major, and the MLS developing. Hopefully, the MLS does not follow the path of the NASL and try to develop too quickly.
Do you think hockey fans in Finland consider their league a major league? of course!

And you're the first person I've seen in at least 4 years worrying about the MLS trying to develop too quickly

Old
04-09-2013, 11:04 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by the beat View Post
The MLS can't compete financially with the top European leagues right now. Top players won't be coming to North America until their wages become competitive. I don't know or care enough about the economics of the MLS to know how far off we are from that, but I would imagine it's a long ways.
All there is too much EPLism stuff like this floating around. I don't think the MLS ever aspires to have the world foreign stars come play here. This league is heavily geared towards domestic player development, to compared MLS to Germany wouldn't be fair to the German teams but clearly the goal is to develop this league so one day all Canadian and American players want to play here.

There is no doubt if NA develops a international superstar he will follow the money (and hopefully by then there will be some here) but the MLS will look to make a league that retains the services of the Brek Shea's and Kei Kamara (even though he's only sort of American..). It's about raising wages slowly, not so we can buy good players from around the globe, but so we can have a structure so we can retain good players.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:22 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
We've got a solid number of fowards but hardly an "embarassment of riches".

Miller - should be our best and most consistent forward all season long
Mattocks - will have his ups and downs but should be solid again despite only being a second year pro
Camilo - skilled player (who seems to have really picked up his work rate). He was a starter on the 2011 team, 2nd choice on the 2012 team and has fallen further still as our team has gotten better.

Salgado - It would be unreasonable to expect him to make the jump like Mattocks did but he has shown he's got MLS quality now.
Hienemann - Good target with a pretty good touch. Not going to be a significant piece on any good MLS team. Will be a reserve player
Hertzog - Good hard worker up front who's got some pedigree but at this point is not going to be a significant piece on any good MLS team.

Clarke - some people are REALLY high on this kid and he does show a lot of really impressive tools. Not ready for MLS time other than the odd minutes he can sneak in.
If Rennie keeps the squad rotation up and gives these guys chances to prove themselves.. I may be eating crow by the time it's all said and done.

Old
04-11-2013, 11:27 AM
Alflives

Quote:
Do you think hockey fans in Finland consider their league a major league? of course!

And you're the first person I've seen in at least 4 years worrying about the MLS trying to develop too quickly
The MLS is not a major league, and fans need to accept that. When we are able to keep our top domestic players at home, then the league will be moving in that direction.

Old
04-12-2013, 12:19 AM
luongoisdaman

Ji Sung Park is rumoured to be out of QPS. Hopefully YP Lee can be able to convince him to come to Vancouver. That would be so sick.

Old
04-12-2013, 02:17 AM
Eastside

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongoisdaman View Post
Ji Sung Park is rumoured to be out of QPS. Hopefully YP Lee can be able to convince him to come to Vancouver. That would be so sick.
Umm yes please.

Old
04-12-2013, 02:50 AM
Wildcarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongoisdaman View Post
I thought he was also linked to Toronto?

Old
04-12-2013, 02:57 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

TFC's manager, Ryan Nelsen, left QPR to go to Toronto; I'd bet Nelsen has been in Park's ear for a while.

04-12-2013, 03:33 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
The MLS is not a major league, and fans need to accept that. When we are able to keep our top domestic players at home, then the league will be moving in that direction.
This isn't some localized North American sport, you just need to accept that.

Oh, and maybe you need to check out where most of the top French players play. Ligue 1 may not be one of the top 3 leagues in Europe but it's a clear #4.

Old
04-12-2013, 04:03 PM
Samzilla
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Oh, and maybe you need to check out where most of the top French players play. Ligue 1 may not be one of the top 3 leagues in Europe but it's a clear #4.
I'd have to disagree. Ligue 1 is at the top of the 2nd tier with the likes of Portugal and Brazil.

Top 4: England, Italy, Germany, Spain

Old
04-12-2013, 04:26 PM
Alflives

Quote:

What? They stay in Europe, so they can play in the top leagues. The MLS is a developing league, not at the major league stature of other NA sports, and that's just fine. When will we see our top (young) domestic players staying here to play instead of heading to Europe?

Old
04-12-2013, 05:29 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzilla View Post
I'd have to disagree. Ligue 1 is at the top of the 2nd tier with the likes of Portugal and Brazil.

Top 4: England, Italy, Germany, Spain
My mistake, I was omitting Spain in my head for some reason. Yes, they are behind those 4 IMO.

Quote:
What? They stay in Europe, so they can play in the top leagues. The MLS is a developing league, not at the major league stature of other NA sports, and that's just fine. When will we see our top (young) domestic players staying here to play instead of heading to Europe?
Do you only consider NA sports league 'major' because they're the biggest in the world? Does this mean you don't consider the Swedish Elite league, Nippon Professional Baseball league, or again Ligue 1 'major' leagues because their best young talent goes to a bigger league?

You seem new to the sport. I can appreciate it's difficult to wrap your head around the fact that the world has at least 5 leagues that are superior and likely 20 leagues that are comparable. But you're have to get over the fact that MLS isn't among the best leagues in the world and is still a major league.

Old
04-13-2013, 04:09 PM
Samzilla
HFBoards Sponsor

No Mattocks. What's going on with that?

Old
04-13-2013, 04:19 PM
Samzilla
HFBoards Sponsor

wow Camilo. Gotta score there.

Old
04-13-2013, 04:56 PM
FDBluth

Davidson is soooo slow at making decisions. He kills our transition game every time.

Old
04-13-2013, 05:48 PM
JannikAtTheDisco
No panic it's Jannik

oh **** oh **** oh **** penalty kick! terrible hand ball...

this is the game cmon boys!

CAAAMMMMMMIIIIILLLLLOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
04-13-2013, 05:50 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

goallllllllllllll 1-1!

Old
04-13-2013, 05:58 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

#WhitecapsFC attendance 19,612. #k

Masters canucks and whitecaps same time? no problem.

What a great crowd

Old
04-13-2013, 06:40 PM
Edler Von Gud

vCash: 753
Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDBluth View Post
Davidson is soooo slow at making decisions. He kills our transition game every time.
Can't stand Davidson. Moves too slow and thinks too slow. He's like the Bieksa of the whitecaps but without the ability to make up for his blunders offensively.

Old
04-13-2013, 07:42 PM
JannikAtTheDisco
No panic it's Jannik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edler Von Gud View Post
Can't stand Davidson. Moves too slow and thinks too slow. He's like the Bieksa of the whitecaps but without the ability to make up for his blunders offensively.
I only watched a few segments of the game but boy was Davidson bad

Closed Thread