HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > ECHL and other Minor Pro Leagues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

CHL adds Brampton, ON franchise (UPD: paperwork finalized)

Closed Thread

Old
03-14-2013, 01:44 PM
CrazyEddie20

vCash: 500
The simple fact is this: the CHL is not the same level of play as the ECHL. If you call the CHL Class-AA, you're deluding yourself.

Sure, there are players in the CHL that can play in the ECHL. But the talent gap from top line to 10th forward, top pair to sixth D, best goaltender in the league to worst is MUCH, MUCH wider in the CHL than in the ECHL. Second line forwards in the CHL can't play in the ECHL, same with second pair D and about 65% of the goaltenders. It's just reality.

Teams know that if they want to develop prospects at the Class-AA level, they affiliate in the ECHL, where prospects will play against comparable talent on a nightly basis. If they don't give a rip about developing guys, they'll send them to the CHL, where they can develop bad habits against lesser talent that will lead to them being unable to contribute to organizational depth.

Old
03-14-2013, 03:46 PM
Jackets Woodchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyEddie20 View Post
The simple fact is this: the CHL is not the same level of play as the ECHL. If you call the CHL Class-AA, you're deluding yourself.

Sure, there are players in the CHL that can play in the ECHL. But the talent gap from top line to 10th forward, top pair to sixth D, best goaltender in the league to worst is MUCH, MUCH wider in the CHL than in the ECHL. Second line forwards in the CHL can't play in the ECHL, same with second pair D and about 65% of the goaltenders. It's just reality.

Teams know that if they want to develop prospects at the Class-AA level, they affiliate in the ECHL, where prospects will play against comparable talent on a nightly basis. If they don't give a rip about developing guys, they'll send them to the CHL, where they can develop bad habits against lesser talent that will lead to them being unable to contribute to organizational depth.
Is it a bad sign about organizational depth if PTO signings are almost equal in number to callups from the AA affiliate?

Old
03-14-2013, 07:03 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackets Woodchuck View Post
And look how badly their AHL affiliate has fared since the NHL season restarted (lack of AA depth).

I'll have to look, but it's possible that the Monsters have filled more vacancies with PTOs than with AA callups of guys under Avs minor league contracts.
Worcester could challenge LE, IN THAT DEPARTMENT, JW, one game they had one regular player (Bonneau) THEY HAD FROM DAY 1, the rest were all ATO/PTO

Old
03-14-2013, 07:32 PM
Jackets Woodchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
Worcester could challenge LE, IN THAT DEPARTMENT, JW, one game they had one regular player (Bonneau) THEY HAD FROM DAY 1, the rest were all ATO/PTO
Sounds like how things would go when they were here in Cleveland. So you're saying the volume of PTOs we have seen here in Cleveland between the modern-day Barons and the Monsters is not normal?

Old
03-14-2013, 08:48 PM
CrazyEddie20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackets Woodchuck View Post
Is it a bad sign about organizational depth if PTO signings are almost equal in number to callups from the AA affiliate?
Depends on who the players signed to PTO's are - if they haven't been putting up numbers or are solid defensive D men with a good +/- rating in the ECHL, then yeah, it says a lot if you are bringing up an ECHL plug over guys that you've invested in by signing them to a $65K AHL contract. Generally, if a team hasn't been decimated by injuries and isn't making emergency call-ups and goes outside their depth chart, it means one of two things: either the guy getting the call has something they like, be it numbers, a physical edge, size, whatever - or the organization knows that they've signed a ton of plugs to contracts that can't play at a higher level.

Old
03-23-2013, 06:25 PM
mfrerkes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
Fort Wayne carried over a large number of players (their best ones) from their CHL Champion team last season and will not make the playoffs.
Fort Wayne had last year's CHL MVP (Brandon Marino) and another top CHL player (Eric Giosa) on their roster. I've always felt the CHL was a lesser league than the ECHL, in several different aspects.

The markets in the CHL are mostly borderline. Bloomington, QC, and Arizona should all be in junior hockey. There just isn't sufficient following for the professional game in those cities. The CHL keeps propping them up, though, hoping fans will suddenly develop a craving for the sport.

Old
04-09-2013, 07:53 AM
Landeskog

Brampton, Ontario, Canada has an ownership group that wants to have a team in the CHL.
They have talked to CHL offices, and it seems to be happening, but we'll see what happens. The venture by this ownership group happened weeks after OHL told the media panel during a game that Brampton would be moving to North Bay.

It could work, but the issue is the fact that Brampton is a sub-city in the GTA area, and Toronto/GTA teams seem to not fair well unless they are elite pro level teams.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle7845029/
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...franchise.html

Old
04-11-2013, 10:47 AM
AceFace905

Your newest addition to the minor league hockey cesspool...

http://bramptonbeast.com/

Old
04-11-2013, 12:08 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 5113
Well, I guess that was the name I was pulling for, but seems like a needless example of having a team's name be singular instead of plural. Should've gone with Beasts.

Old
04-11-2013, 05:40 PM
LippinOff

I completely agree. Singular names drive me insane. Too soccer-ish. I hate them. How about the Brampton Yeast Infection. Imagine the mascot.

Old
04-11-2013, 11:45 PM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

Too soccer-ish? How in the hell are Minnesota Wild, Brampton Beast, etc. anything like Chelsea FC or Manchester United?

Old
04-12-2013, 02:48 AM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoRussianAlaskan View Post
Too soccer-ish? How in the hell are Minnesota Wild, Brampton Beast, etc. anything like Chelsea FC or Manchester United?
They aren't, those are better with more money, history and credibility.

He may have been aiming for the MLS, they got a lot of that.

Old
04-12-2013, 12:10 PM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

I thought to myself, "Not really." Then I reminded myself of all the names and you're right. Crew, Revolution, Fire, Impact, and Galaxy. Five teams in a 19-team league. It never dawned on me before. But this epidemic is more than just soccer.

The NBA has the Heat, Magic, and the Jazz. The NHL has the Lightning, Wild, and Avalance. Along with the myriad of others in the minors across all sports and junior hockey.

Old
04-12-2013, 03:54 PM
Kanka

Not a fan of the name, just hope they don't have a symbol like this

Old
04-14-2013, 06:24 AM
mfrerkes

Quote:
Originally Posted by LippinOff View Post
I completely agree. Singular names drive me insane. Too soccer-ish. I hate them. How about the Brampton Yeast Infection. Imagine the mascot.
A cottage cheese company would be totally down with that. Imagine the corporate sponsorship dollars.

Old
04-14-2013, 07:04 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1317515

Continue further discussion at thread linked above.

Closed Thread