HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I was wrong (the confession booth)

Old
04-11-2013, 10:50 PM
Saundies

vCash: 500
Obviously nobody can say they predicted us to be where we are now, but I didn't think we were gonna be as bad as last year. That doesn't mean I expected playoffs (I expected our usual dogfight for 6th-8th place) but still:

- I thought Bourque was junk. Same with Budaj.

- I thought we were still going to be a one line team. Now I can't even believe their depth.

-After seeing Markov last year, I had my doubts about him.

-I hated the Cole/Ryder trade at first glance. Now it's paid dividends amazingly

-Thought Prust was an overpaid tough guy. Wrongo again.

Saundies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 10:51 PM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

Ok guys we've had like 3 similar threads in the past month....

ZARTONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 11:00 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

Biggest mistake was doubting MT.

I'm sure in two years his style will have run its course (like every other Montreal coach since forever) but for now, and for the team we have, he's exactly what we need. I really like how he's managing ice-time. It sucks a bit for Galchenyuk but I think he needs a short leash because he's young and impressionable, he needs to know what his limitations are, and the first NHL season is a good time for him to learn that.

Stjonnypopo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 11:00 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZARTONK View Post
Ok guys we've had like 3 similar threads in the past month....
This one is different.

This time it's about unburdening your soul. Also, the Habs clinched tonight. Just join us in the circle and sing along.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 11:04 PM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
This one is different.

This time it's about unburdening your soul. Also, the Habs clinched tonight. Just join us in the circle and sing along.

I'll just copy/paste the same post I pasted in the last three threads and say that I was wrong then.

This is what I posted on the PGT after the first game of the season:

I wasn't able to watch the game but was following the results through the tsn app.

I got excited with the start of the season after this long lockout, I got excited with Markov's return, I got excited with Galchenyuk's start with the Habs. I was able to put aside the numerous ranking predictions and was ready for a great start to the season.

Last night's game brought me back to reality as I realized that the team picked up where they left off last season. I'm now ready for the potentially horrible season ahead.

ZARTONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 11:09 PM
Hugo Sham

i was wrong, i was so wrong.
bruins and leaf fans are even stupider and more obnoxious
than i ever imagined

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 11:13 PM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

Didn't believe Diaz was worthy to be a Top 6 DMan for the Montreal Canadiens.

Was hoping we would tank this year as well. Thought it was the perfect scenario with a short season and a strong draft to restock ourselves for the next 10ish years

LaurentHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 11:23 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

For my buddy Mrb1p.

"Eller should be the 4th line center."

Glad to admit I was wrong because Eller has been a big plus for the Habs.

I do feel better now.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 11:28 PM
Roulin

I argued long and hard against picking Galchenyuk at #3... it feels great to be wrong on that one. Looks like the kid will have a fantastic career.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 11:29 PM
sharks9

I thought we should trade away Plekanec. Whoops!

sharks9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 11:58 PM
DLR1970

I believe in a thread similar I said I expected 7-10 range in the East.

*I had no confidence that Markov could play more than 10 games*
*Subban I felt was still a year or two away from what i'm seeing this year*
*I did think Price would take another step forward, so i give myself that one *

DLR1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 12:19 AM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Watching the draft polls from last year... I had a hard-on for Forsberg...(I still do.) I don't think this is a mistake...
But I also wanted Murray over him: Not that Murray is not good but...IDK.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 12:20 AM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
For my buddy Mrb1p.

"Eller should be the 4th line center."

Glad to admit I was wrong because Eller has been a big plus for the Habs.

I do feel better now.
A relief isn't it? Now put on your Eller T-shirt and hop on the bandwagon!!!!!

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 01:07 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
This one is different.

It's one thing to be a little wrong about things, but I was egregiously wrong about two:

I was completely against the hiring of Michel Therrien, thinking he was a buffoon that would drown the team in negativity. WRONG!

Also, I was bitterly, vocally, snarkily critical of the Cole trade.Not so much because I thought Cole was terrific, but because I had ZERO respect for Michael Ryder as a hockey player and a teammate that could fit into the high-tempo aggressive system that Therrien is demanding everyone play. DOUBLY WRONG!!

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 01:13 AM
Talks to Goalposts

I didn't have much faith in Therrien after the Penguins improved massively when they fired him. He's been solid despite minor quibles I have about Boullion-love.

Bouque has rebounded when I thought he was done.

I knew the talent the Habs had was good enough to be strong in a weak western conference but did not believe they'd manage to recover like they did.

I had the pieces to work out that they would have this renaissance but was too gun shy to trust my judgement after the previous season's disaster.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 01:32 AM
CHwest

MT, I was so Pi**ed when he was hired, that interview when he called out the entire PP team was all I could see. I am amazed at him right now, age does make a difference. PK is another one I guess, still not completely sold on him, well maybe I am, but I don't see the top end most do.

CHwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 01:32 AM
KingGallagherXI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Bah, it depends how you see it. Plekanec could give us a MASSIVE return st the draft. We all know that Galchenyuk won't be a left winger forever and Eller is more than capable of handling the defensive reaponsibilities. For this season though, Plekanec's experience is paying off big time.
Hell no. We keep Plekanec, and Eller takes Desharnais' spot.

KingGallagherXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 04:07 AM
AlexC

I was secretly hoping some team desperate for a PMD would give the moon to acquire Andrei Markov. Like the Red Wings (something like : I give you a Kronwall, u give us a Markov )
I felt it would be better for he and the team to part ways.

I was sooooo wrong. Of course he's not getting faster, but I'm glad he's signed for another year and I hope he'll be offered an extension. His PP presence alone would justify that.

Although if the wings offer Kronwall...

AlexC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 04:50 AM
Aceekay

It depends on how you see things, trading one of plekanec/Markov can get you a significant reward and depending on what you're getting in return it won't hurt us too badly.

I was wrong about therrien thought he would be a hothead and piss off players with his temper like he did in Pittsburgh.

I thought we were destined for a top 5 pick.

Didn't think subban was going to have a good season.

Aceekay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 05:15 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 709
Depends how people see everything...if we are booted out in the 1st round, there are plenty who will then say that we should have sell everything. Thing is, the truth is probably in the middle of everything. We still have an awfully average D. Thank god to future Norris candidate to make it look like better than it actually is. But when people talks about how losing Emelin changes everything...it does make you believe how average that D is. We didn't lose Subban, nor even Markov here. So let's hope that the future D's in progress will be correcting this D.

But yes, we were wrong about quite a few things. Just like the past administration was. Just like Bergevin will be. Nature of the beast.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 05:17 AM
habsfanatics

Honestly most of us have been wrong to varying degrees regarding the evaluation of this team. I knew we weren't a 3rd last place team, but never in my wildest dreams thought we'd be where we are today, not just fighting for the division which was certainly wide open, but with so many positives, positive goal differential out playing opponents by significant margins on many a nights. I thought it would take a really above average season from Price to get in.

I really hope tat people don't use this thread to poke digs at LafleursGuy, he's on board now, leave the past in the past.

Not many will do this LG, I respect the fact that you've had a change of heart even though you were leaning in an entirely different direction.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 07:35 AM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Honestly most of us have been wrong to varying degrees regarding the evaluation of this team. I knew we weren't a 3rd last place team, but never in my wildest dreams thought we'd be where we are today, not just fighting for the division which was certainly wide open, but with so many positives, positive goal differential out playing opponents by significant margins on many a nights. I thought it would take a really above average season from Price to get in.

I really hope tat people don't use this thread to poke digs at LafleursGuy, he's on board now, leave the past in the past.

Not many will do this LG, I respect the fact that you've had a change of heart even though you were leaning in an entirely different direction.
From my memory, LG recognized the young core was solidly in place and that the team was on the right course. He was dead-on about that. I think he was just aiming a bit further off in the future, as we all were. Wanting to trade Markov and Pleks was a way to stock the shelves with even more great prospects for when everyone started gelling in a year or two. None of us could have imagined it would come together this season, vets, rookies and youth all singing in glorious harmony.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 07:37 AM
PhysicX

vCash: 74
Things I was wrong about:

1) P.K. Subban --> Doubting at any moment Subban's value to this team and his skills. I think he is who we thought we drafted, and a whole lot more. 43rd pick in 2007? A whole lot of teams were wrong about P.K., so I don't feel real bad.

2) Brandon Prust --> I thought he was an average 4th liner and didn't think he'd have such an impact on our team. I was in the deep woods on this one. Glad he's with us.

3) Colby Armstrong --> Me and a couple of my buddies laughed when Montreal acquired Armdog. Did not think he was going to bring anything valuable to our team. Seems like he's well-liked by his teammates and he's actually solid on the penalty-kill. He needs to capitalize more often on his chances though.

4) Jarred Tinordi --> Made a bet with my brother-in-law before the end of the lockout that Tinordi would play at least 20% of the games this season due to injuries. I was wrong, and lost $10.

5) 1st Montreal vs. Boston Game --> Lost $20 bucks with a buddy (Bruins fan) by betting on Montreal... Their only loss against the Bears... $20 bucks well worth it, as we won the next three!!

6) Avatar Bet with PKPricePatch.

I could go on and talk about things I was right, but this ain't the purpose of this thread. I confess, I sinned against Bergevin's wisdom and hockey knowledge. I do not remember anymore of my wrongdoings against the Habs. I'll try to be more positive next time. I ask for forgiveness.

PhysicX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 07:38 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
And it feels good. The team is in the playoffs and fighting for 1st. Never thought it was possible this year but it's happened. The rebuild is over.

Come one. Come all. Repent your sins and have them washed away. The confession booth is open.

And please, let's limit the booth to how you were wrong about the team. I don't want to hear about how you like to make love to dead dolphins or something messed up like that.
damn...

alright, takes some major balls to prove your wrong online, big ups, to you...

me? im always wrong, but that's a different story altogether...

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 07:45 AM
Lshap

Ahh... the sweet taste of wrong!

- Like a lot of you, I was really skeptical of Therrien. But wow - he's gone from a crabby Herb Tarlek to your wise, middle-aged Uncle.

- Wasn't sold on Eller. Saw him topping out as a weak 3rd-line guy with no ability to control the puck. Guy looks like Testosterone-Man out there!

- Bourque?? Are you kidding me? A cheaper Gomez.2. Who'd have thought he'd come back snarling...

- Gallagher... nice kid who might fill out our 4th line one day. But holy crap...!

- The team - I had 'em at an optimistic 6th to 9th in the EC.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote