HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Eberle or Yak - Which one do you trade?

View Poll Results: Who would you trade Eberle or Yak?
Trade Eberle 156 82.54%
Trade Yak 33 17.46%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-12-2013, 02:01 AM
lampshade*

vCash: 500
Yak would garner a strong #2 dman and Eberle a #4 dman, therefore I choose yak.

lampshade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 02:01 AM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njoy Oilers View Post
All the koolaid drinkers on here who think the current roster(top six) will bring Oilers closer to a contender are just fooling themselves. I love the skill set each of the young guys brings. But as a whole, they will NEVER be able to compete against the bigger/average teams. Physicality will beat out talent 10-1 every time. Tambo has proven that he is nothing but an average GM, when it comes to building a winner. I will continue to support this team, but would happily give up Ebs for a #1/2 Dman or big centre moving forward.

Ederle to the Blues for Stewart. Or
Eberle+ to Yotes for Yandle

You all know this would work! ��
I don't think Yandle is very physical, he's actually pretty one-dimensional. I wouldn't trade Eberle for him, I would avoid trading him anywhere in the west.

Someone like Hedman would be beauty, about the same age and pretty well-rounded. Although I highly doubt he's on the table for TB. But that's the kind of player I'd trade Eberle for.

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 02:03 AM
Gabriel6676

Neither

Gabriel6676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 02:17 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Neither

Find a real power forward for the 2nd line LW for Ebs/Gagner, bump Paajarvi to the 3rd line.

Just flat out remove Horcoff/Hemsky/Smyth, bump Jones down to the 4th line and find some effective 3rd liners to bookend Paajarvi.

Contemplating trading any of Hall/RNH/Ebs/Yak during a down-swing of the usual up/down development path expected of any young player, is nothing more than a bad idea from the Milbury school of impatient management.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 02:45 AM
#ualberta

Who should Pittsburgh trade crosby or malkin?
i am surprised how many of you say eberle
I won't pick one because this is just a bad idea, i'll show myself the door

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 03:10 AM
Nail Yakupov
Russian Rocket 2.0

You know which one i'm choosing (check the username )

now, i think two trades that would help the oilers massively:

1) deal around eberle and lucic..

Lucic would make our top 6 look intimidating and hard to play against, make room for our skilled players.

Eberle is that offensive stud that can help their powerplay and benefit from having big wingers.

Win-Win IMO

2) Eberle +1st rounder for Kris Letang / OEL

Stud Winger for Stud D-man. Simple. our D corpse rounds up nicely with one of letang and oel paired with schultz in the future, and klefbom and petry serving as a nice 2nd pairing.

thoughts?

Nail Yakupov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 03:15 AM
Del Preston

vCash: 147
48-0

good lawd

Del Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 04:16 AM
puckfan13

I would trade Eberle + 2nd for McDonagh + 1st. This team needs D help in a bad way.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 04:50 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

I voted Yakupov just to break up the vote.

Neither. You're all insane.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 07:13 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
Hemsky.
Wait. He has the biggest bang for the buck contract in the nhl. Or so Ive been told.

Rembember way back when, before all the injuries, when Hemsky actually was tradeable and would have garnered a nice return............

I had the audacity to suggest trading him then. Boob Stauffer mocked me and the idea on his radio show. Now he is the color guy for the Oilers.

I guess they dont have very high standards. Could they have set the bar any lower?

As to the question of the day, neither obviously.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 08:53 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Ryan Smyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downward dog View Post
Eberle would return much much more than a #4 dman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Wait. He has the biggest bang for the buck contract in the nhl. Or so Ive been told.

Rembember way back when, before all the injuries, when Hemsky actually was tradeable and would have garnered a nice return............

I had the audacity to suggest trading him then. Boob Stauffer mocked me and the idea on his radio show. Now he is the color guy for the Oilers.

I guess they dont have very high standards. Could they have set the bar any lower?

As to the question of the day, neither obviously.
Oilers made a huge mistake holding onto Hemsky instead of Penner. Even though Penner has been garbage for the Kings, he just hasn't fit their system at all. 2009-2011 Penner is the exact player we need on the second line right now. We would've at least gotten the same return for Hemsky as we got for Penner, hell we might've been able to get Voynov instead of Teubert as the prospect as well, who also would be perfect in our top 4. Instead we're stuck paying 5 million dollars for a guy taking minutes away from Nail Yakupov, just like how we traded actual assets last year to pay 6.5 million for a guy to take minutes away from Magnus Paajarvi.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law: 04-12-2013 at 08:58 AM.
Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 09:01 AM
Hemsky4PM

Silly discussion.

Neither. We finally have talented stars that have no defensive help and a horrible supporting cast and the answer is - trade the stars.

It's been mentioned time and again, we need to revamp the rest of this sorry lot. They should target 4 UFAs in the age range of 27-30 and MAYBE contemplate a guy like Streit.

Horton, Clowe, Clarkson, Bickell, Stalberg, Filppula, Chipchura (4th line depth player), Latendresse...there are a lot of good 2nd/3rd line wingers on the UFA market this summer. Guys like Kulemin and Kopecky might be available via trade.

Defense is tough though - the best guys are older, like Streit and Zidlicky. Maybe sign a guy like Hainsey for 1-2 years at under 3M and hope that Klefbom can become a solid d sooner than expected (in two years).

I would actually be in favour of moving Hemsky for a similarily underperforming defenseman, like Tallinder from NJ for instance - also with one year left on his deal.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 09:02 AM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

vCash: 50
Saw the thread title, said "Oh Please", and didn't vote or read a post.

Don't intend to neither.

My guess is someone is going off the deep end...again.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 09:22 AM
MadMax82*

Hahahaha hahahaha

We should probably move both

MadMax82* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 09:52 AM
rec28

Send a message via MSN to rec28
The entire point of this long and painful rebuilding exercise was to acquire enough high value assets to give them true flexibility in building a balanced team. No combination of our crap will return a top 2 dman, top 6 power forward, or big #2 center. We're finally in a spot where we can realistically trade elite tent for elite talent. At least one of the big 5 will be moved this summer to fill one of those holes. My money is on Eberle.

rec28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 09:58 AM
shoop

To play the game, I would trade Eberle if forced. Yak is coming around and will be a force in this league. Eberle was a steal as a late first rounder, but if you can really improve the team. Rock solid #1 D or an upgrade in net ... why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I would say neither, but the lack of plugs and Eberle's being fat, lazy and having peaked, leads me to want to trade him. Yakupov seems like he'll be one of those guys that can create offense and generate energy himself, plus he has a bit of a game breaking quality.
The fascination with Eberle's weight is a little concerning. Gotta love the anonymity of the internet. Wouldn't want to post a picture of your six pack, would you?

shoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 10:07 AM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distinct View Post
Meh, I'd rather have Hemsky and say a shattenkirk/ Letang vs Eberle and potter/whitey

This so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaOil1993 View Post
If it's Letang then I would definitely think hard about it.

Then who plays 2nd line center? That's the problem with this team, We have no depth at all. I just don't think that we need to trade any of them right now.
We actually do have 3 top-6 RW...so theres your depth, and thats why this poll exists. And no Hemsky shouldn't be the one to be moved, because he won't return anything useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
If Eberle was on pace to put up 70 points in an 82 game season would people feel different?
Most people would feel different, but there were some during last summer, who suggested moving either Eberle or the Yakupov Pick for a guy like OEL. I was in favour then, and i am even more so now.

The only thing that has changed is my preference from keeping Eberle to keeping Yakupov.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njoy Oilers View Post
All the koolaid drinkers on here who think the current roster(top six) will bring Oilers closer to a contender are just fooling themselves. I love the skill set each of the young guys brings. But as a whole, they will NEVER be able to compete against the bigger/average teams. Physicality will beat out talent 10-1 every time. Tambo has proven that he is nothing but an average GM, when it comes to building a winner. I will continue to support this team, but would happily give up Ebs for a #1/2 Dman or big centre moving forward.

Ederle to the Blues for Stewart. Or
Eberle+ to Yotes for Yandle

You all know this would work! ��
I'm open to trading Eberle, but these are terrible value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downward dog View Post
And Gagner would retun a #6D?

As of right now today, i think eberle would still have more value on the open market, until the middle of next season when its clear he is a 65pt complimentary player and Yakupov is Hall 2.0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
I would trade Eberle + 2nd for McDonagh + 1st. This team needs D help in a bad way.
You'd have to switch the picks, i don't think NYR would take it straight up.

Koto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 10:49 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoop View Post

The fascination with Eberle's weight is a little concerning. Gotta love the anonymity of the internet. Wouldn't want to post a picture of your six pack, would you?
It's not me sir, read the trade thread and past trade threads. You'll see what I mean.

Jimmi Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 10:53 AM
jeetz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
The Rangers won't trade us McDonagh for Eberle, no chance.
If they did then i would do that trade but it's not realistic for a team to trade a young #1 defenseman for a young #1 RW.
The idea is to build around Eberle and Yak and not trade one of them to fill a hole by creating another hole.
Though I agree with you don't create a hole to make a hole, I don't necessarily think that is what is happening with the hypothetical question. Before we can be taken seriously we are a top 6 center with some size, and a top def away from being playoff worthy. We have some assists in Gagner, Hemsky and prospects but none of them get us our center or def.

A team can't build around wingers and we have 3 top wingers. Even though Ebs is struggling a bit, we all know he is a big time player. What the Oilers need is a star for star trade to strengthen our center or def position. Do you trade Hall? Ebs? Or Yak?

Clearly Hall and Yak are the better players, but Ebs is Halls best friend and Ebs has that quality where he will likely score our most memorable goal in Oiler history at some point. Tough call. I believe for the right return it would have to be Ebs because Both Hall and Yak have the quality of being able to put the team on their backs and make things happen.

I would not trade a 1st overall ever because with the economics of the nhl, when too many top paid players make the cap impossible, you need a young talent to come in and replace one. Ideally a top draft pick that has spent a year or 2 in the minors and has been developed properly

jeetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 10:54 AM
BowDangles

Neither. If you did have to trade one, you would want it to 3-4 years down the road where you have a better idea of what each player is going to look like.

Trading one of them now is an idiotic idea, unless it is for a equally talented and just as high potential player. i.e. OEL, Petro, and such forth.

Each of these players have the potential to be a top ten scorer in the league, Eberle was close last year. So you want a defense man that is in the same boat in terms of D man ranking

BowDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 11:07 AM
longtimeoilfan

vCash: 118
Changes have to be made to the composition of the Oilers, but I don't think we will see Eberle or Yakupov traded... Hemsky and Gagner though, I could see traded for some top 6 physicality. And a Center with the attributes Gagner lacks (hopefully Monahan) drafted. I will use Lucic as an example (because, as unlikely as I know it is, I would love to see Lucic an Oiler).

Lucic Nugent-Hopkins Eberle
Hall Monahan Yakupov
Paajarvi Horcoff Hartikainen
Brown Smithson/Lander Jones

Lucic - or a player like him - makes room out on the ice for Eberle and Nugent-Hopkins to play their game, plus Lucic would be a damn near perfect bodyguard. Hall and Yakupov would likely give the opposition fits, and both bring a measure of grit. Monahan is physical, and playing with Hall and Yakupov would take some of the pressure and focus off of him. The third line is fairly big, and capable. And that would be the best fourth line the Oilers iced in a long time.

Will it happen, likely not... but it is a more balanced team, one where size would no longer be an issue.

If I had to choose between Eberle or Yakupov, Eberle would be traded.

longtimeoilfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 11:21 AM
ithxan

vCash: 50
Neither.

ithxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 11:25 AM
Dabomb

wow.. INTERESTING results. I wonder what the results of this same poll would have been if it was done in December while Eberle was tearing up the AHL.

Dabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 11:26 AM
Aerchon

Neither is the correct answer.

But.

I have been very dissappointed in Ebs this year. RNH has set him up sweet so many times this year that I thought I could have gotten more goals than Ebs this year.

He took a massive step back this year.

He went from scoring from impossible areas to not scoring on open nets. Tough year for him. Hope he isnt a contract player and can get back to playing well.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 11:36 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
wow.. INTERESTING results. I wonder what the results of this same poll would have been if it was done in December while Eberle was tearing up the AHL.
Well no one had seen Yakupov in the NHL at that point, so it would be different just for that fact alone.

Jimmi Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote