HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Proposals/Free Agency and Rumors 2012/13 Part III

Old
04-11-2013, 03:56 PM
duster19

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
With the way the organization is moving forward this year, halting momentum in that way would be a huge mistake.
Not really. A 1 year deal isnt going to hurt anyone. They need some form of "scoring" forward next year. I'm not convinced the prospects are ready to make a jump to the first line for 82 games, so we need some form of stop gap who can fill in for a yr or at least till Strome is ready. Boyes fills that role. If he wants a long term deal then you move on and find someone else for that role. If he is willing to sign that 1 yr deal, and you can get decent production out of him, then why wouldnt you? Plus you can always move him down the line up, move him, scratch him. Its a 1 year deal, no biggie.

Im not saying I like Boyes or think he is a good player. I would love for them to sign an elite RW, but I just dont see it.

duster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 04:17 PM
JT4President

Absolutely no to Boyes. I thought I would be more of fan of his, but I am not convinced at all that he is the awnwer. Moulson is not the answer either, but he and jt are friends and he will remain on his wing. I think the fact jt gets double and sometimes triple coverage, I think a guy like strome or niño will do well as they will have a bit more ice to operate. Boyes just makes so many mistakes and moulson has no vision......shown the other night when jt was wide open and he tried to come out from behind the net and score. As for all the talk about Ryan, iginla and others.....not happening. Wait this summer for a few buy outs, there will be a winger available that could help jt big time if wang commits to spending a bit. If not, strome is my pick.......not Boyes.

JT4President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 04:19 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
I wish they would throw Martin on JT's wing for a few shifts...for serious.
Whenever they put Martin out there in a scoring situation with scoring forwards, he looks completely lost... like he has no idea where to go.

Guys like Cizikas and Martin are thriving in the roles that they're in right now. We need to stop trying to stick them on the top line.

Richie Daggers Crime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 06:50 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 725
The article discusses a possible Briere buyout.

His ex-wife and 3 boys live in the Philly area. He wants to stay close, so if bought out, he'll be looking at the teams closest to Philly.

A 2 yr offer if he's bought out? Or does Snow wait on Strome/Brock Nelson, expecting both could be nhl ready next season?

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...-facing-buyout

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 07:19 AM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post

His ex-wife and 3 boys live in the Philly area. He wants to stay close, so if bought out, he'll be looking at the teams closest to Philly.

A 2 yr offer if he's bought out? Or does Snow wait on Strome/Brock Nelson, expecting both could be nhl ready next season?

he seems all used up...

islandermaniac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 08:30 AM
JT4President

At the end of the day, we need a winger that demands respect from opponents which ultimately open up ice for Tavares to do his thing. Right now...to easy to check that line. The fact that JT has been able to do as much as he has done while being checked that close just goes to show that he is a top 5 talent in this league, hand down.

Briere if healthy and short term could be ok. It will be interesting to see who is bought out this summer.

JT4President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 08:36 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
he seems all used up...
He sure as hell wasn't last year in the playoffs.

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 08:41 AM
SthlmNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT4President View Post
At the end of the day, we need a winger that demands respect from opponents which ultimately open up ice for Tavares to do his thing. Right now...to easy to check that line. The fact that JT has been able to do as much as he has done while being checked that close just goes to show that he is a top 5 talent in this league, hand down.

Briere if healthy and short term could be ok. It will be interesting to see who is bought out this summer.
^This

Briere feels like Boyes 2.0.

I thought it was consensus on these boards that we need a winger with size and skill, as compared to just skill (Boyes, Briere, although you could argue that Briere is more skillful than Boyes).

SthlmNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 08:44 AM
Sneekypete

Briere seems to only play when he wants to and is small and soft as his career declines. I am not saying he was not a very good player in years past and a beast in the playoffs but he just seems like such a different animal this year. I would rather see the Isles give a hardworking kid a shot over a semi interested vet.

Sneekypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 09:02 AM
kuwo

UFA Bud Holloway is a former Kings prospect who has never been given a shot in the NHL. He had solid numbers in AHL and then bolted to Europe and destroyed the Swedish Elitserien (55 games, 20 goals and 51 assists this season). 25 years old RW, right-handed, solid size, works hard, skilled, good passer. And looks like we allways have room for some former LA Kings prospects

kuwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 09:04 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneekypete View Post
Briere seems to only play when he wants to and is small and soft as his career declines. I am not saying he was not a very good player in years past and a beast in the playoffs but he just seems like such a different animal this year. I would rather see the Isles give a hardworking kid a shot over a semi interested vet.
Briere has had a rough year. He lost his mother to a sudden death at 63. He's recently divorced. His team's defense is decimated. This is not fair at all.

Briere would be a better fit on NYI than he would be in Philly. I'm not saying he should be a #1 choice. But he should be an option if Ryder/Horton go elsewhere. And, frankly, I'm not even enamored by Horton.

And he's much friggin' better than Brad Boyes. Even at his age.

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 09:05 AM
InformTheMasses

Guy sounds like Rhett Rakhshani.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 09:14 AM
kuwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
Guy sounds like Rhett Rakhshani.
Perhaps, but Rhakh would be a solid NHL player if he was bigger and stronger IMO.

kuwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 10:24 AM
seabass45

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuwo View Post
UFA Bud Holloway is a former Kings prospect who has never been given a shot in the NHL. He had solid numbers in AHL and then bolted to Europe and destroyed the Swedish Elitserien (55 games, 20 goals and 51 assists this season). 25 years old RW, right-handed, solid size, works hard, skilled, good passer. And looks like we allways have room for some former LA Kings prospects
PLUS his name is Bud Holloway.

seabass45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 10:55 AM
blitzkriegs

Quote:

His cap hit vs cash payout is right up Wangs alley. It would seem he would be more attractive to NYI based on his current deal rather than a UFA. He's one of the few players left in the league with sizable margins in Cap hit ($6-$7 million) with a salary of like ($2.5-$3 million) per year.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 11:17 AM
MatthewBarnabysTears

vCash: 300
i'd love briere. say what you will about developing our prospects, but briere is exactly the type of proven playoff performer we need if we actually want to make the next step. the goal should be for strome/neiderreiter to eventually make a guy like briere secondary.

MatthewBarnabysTears is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 12:05 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Briere has had a rough year. He lost his mother to a sudden death at 63. He's recently divorced. His team's defense is decimated. This is not fair at all.

Briere would be a better fit on NYI than he would be in Philly. I'm not saying he should be a #1 choice. But he should be an option if Ryder/Horton go elsewhere. And, frankly, I'm not even enamored by Horton.

Unless Brierre is asking for skyhigh salary I would offer him a 2 year deal. He definitely would give us a very solid #2 center(and we can move Neilsen down to 3rd). I know people are saying what about Nelson or Strome, both if good enough can play on his wing or with Nielsen for a year or 2.

The fact he might want to live close to Philly does sort of give us a hometown advantage other teams might not have(that being said I see the Devils making a push for him as well, I am guessing the Rangers though probably will not be interested since they pretty solid with their top 2 centers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
His cap hit vs cash payout is right up Wangs alley. It would seem he would be more attractive to NYI based on his current deal rather than a UFA. He's one of the few players left in the league with sizable margins in Cap hit ($6-$7 million) with a salary of like ($2.5-$3 million) per year.
If I am correct he has a NMC so if Philly wants to get rid of him they have to buy him out which makes him a UFA

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 12:41 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Unless Brierre is asking for skyhigh salary I would offer him a 2 year deal. He definitely would give us a very solid #2 center(and we can move Neilsen down to 3rd). I know people are saying what about Nelson or Strome, both if good enough can play on his wing or with Nielsen for a year or 2.

The fact he might want to live close to Philly does sort of give us a hometown advantage other teams might not have(that being said I see the Devils making a push for him as well, I am guessing the Rangers though probably will not be interested since they pretty solid with their top 2 centers)

If I am correct he has a NMC so if Philly wants to get rid of him they have to buy him out which makes him a UFA
He can waive the NMC for a trade. Seems like to him it will be less about money vs location, but money talks...

Also if you are Wang you want him under the current contract, not a newly negotiated one which will be all cash. Under his current contract, Wang takes the float just like Viz, Weight, etc.

Old
04-12-2013, 02:40 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:

I would say no to Briere.

04-12-2013, 03:07 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeland Security View Post
I would say no to Briere.
Unless he's the best Snow can do to replace Boyes.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 03:55 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Unless he's the best Snow can do to replace Boyes.
And that's the line of thinking for Snow. It was PAP replaced with Boyes. If Boyes walks, then why not Briere?

The isles are not throwing down $3-5 million per year in UFA for a forward. It will upset the salary structure they have in place and of course cost Wang cold hard cash.

Old
04-12-2013, 04:05 PM
Sneekypete

Quote:

Yes I know all about his personal issues, divorce and other things but I have to say other then little injuries to the defense, they were not decimated til recently and what does he have to do with the defense anyway. He was even taken off the 2nd PP unit before his concussion. Also defensively Briere is not only a liability but he makes brutal bruno look like Ray Bourque in the defensive zone.
I would take Horton,Ryder, Briere and Boyes in that order but with the cap coming way down some teams will need to shed decent players under market.

Sneekypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 07:01 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneekypete View Post
but with the cap coming way down some teams will need to shed decent players under market.
Snow has been trading picks for annual temporary relief - Viz, Wiz, etc. or signing up guys like PAP and Boyes.

I would expect Snow to continue with that same MO, despite the cap casualty player pool. If it requires player assets, I don't see Snow moving a prospect to do it.

Old
04-12-2013, 07:14 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:

sounds like Crosbys new RW

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 02:54 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
And that's the line of thinking for Snow. It was PAP replaced with Boyes. If Boyes walks, then why not Briere?

The isles are not throwing down $3-5 million per year in UFA for a forward. It will upset the salary structure they have in place and of course cost Wang cold hard cash.
And that's how we have to face it.

The question is, with logic, we should be able to nab something of HIGHER quality given the way our team has surprised. BUT we have WANG and OUR IMAGE. Can we do better and IF WE CAN....WILL WE?

I don't see Briere wanting to be here based on our rep. Where we could have had Boyes last summer, we should expect a Parenteau quality guy this summer. Barely proven, but breaking out or.....someone who is a solid second liner. Nothing big or hyped.

Briere would require quite a sales job, and by that I mean second round victory.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote