HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Lightest skate on the market?

Old
04-12-2013, 08:52 AM
bobbyflex

vCash: 500
Lightest skate on the market?

I did a search on this and couldn't find anything. Does anyone know what the lightest skate on the market is? Doesn't necessarily have to be a "newer" model. I know the Easton S17 was under 700g IIRC. But then again you have durability issues with Easton...

I'm currently using Bauer X60's. Love them but wanted to try something new. (i'm kind of an equipment nut)

Any help would be awesome

bobbyflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 09:26 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Go to Total Hockey's website and sort by over $500 and that will give you all the top of the line skates, which as you know are normally the lightest. When you click on the skate and scroll down a bit the weight is the first thing listed under features. Taking a quick glance it looks like the Total One NXGs are the lightest at 1.45 pounds followed in 2nd by the APX 2 at 1.69. There could be lighter ones out there that I'm not seeing though.

Last edited by ChiTownHawks: 04-12-2013 at 09:55 AM.
ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 09:33 AM
Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
I did a search on this and couldn't find anything. Does anyone know what the lightest skate on the market is? Doesn't necessarily have to be a "newer" model. I know the Easton S17 was under 700g IIRC. But then again you have durability issues with Easton...

I'm currently using Bauer X60's. Love them but wanted to try something new. (i'm kind of an equipment nut)

Any help would be awesome
If you go to www.totalhockey.com they list the weight of hockey equipment. I'm a big believer in buying the lightest stuff out there along with the perfect fit so it's a good site to know what you're buying.

Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 09:33 AM
AIREAYE

Why would you care about weight? It should be an insignificant factor when looking for new skates.

I think the S15s are still the lightest ever, but you wouldn't be able to find them anymore.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 11:14 AM
bobbyflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks View Post
Go to Total Hockey's website and sort by over $500 and that will give you all the top of the line skates, which as you know are normally the lightest. When you click on the skate and scroll down a bit the weight is the first thing listed under features. Taking a quick glance it looks like the Total One NXGs are the lightest at 1.45 pounds followed in 2nd by the APX 2 at 1.69. There could be lighter ones out there that I'm not seeing though.
thx dude. Total ones are featherweights . Didn't realize they were that much lighter than the top-end vapor models

bobbyflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 11:23 AM
AIREAYE

You're most likely not going to notice the weight difference.

Old
04-14-2013, 07:07 PM
str8shooter
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
You're most likely not going to notice the weight difference.
Especially at 20-30 grams of a difference, aka APX to T1 NXG. I'm like really, maybe an ounce is going to make a huge difference to you?? If that's the case, you guys need to spend the money on a physical trainer instead of skates.

str8shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 08:36 PM
Vip
IFHY

Man, those S15's back in the day were unbelievably light..

Vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 08:50 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipassana View Post
Man, those S15's back in the day were unbelievably light..
You're telling me! They're still my main pair after 2.5 yrs, which, as I always joked w/ customers, is 2.5 yrs longer than anyone else had them for. Though granted, I'm a light guy and I don't play often enough to wear through skates with regularity.

Looking for a new pair this coming 'off season'.

Old
04-14-2013, 09:20 PM
Vip
IFHY

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
You're telling me! They're still my main pair after 2.5 yrs, which, as I always joked w/ customers, is 2.5 yrs longer than anyone else had them for. Though granted, I'm a light guy and I don't play often enough to wear through skates with regularity.

Looking for a new pair this coming 'off season'.
Yeah man that's crazy. I had a buddy that tore through two pairs of those skates. They fell apart so fast but he loved them enough to just buy them again.

Vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 01:56 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

For myself at least, weight isn't considered when buying skates given how light most of the modern ones are. The weight difference is almost negligible from skate to skate. Unless you've got really weak Bambi legs, it shouldn't be an issue at all. If so, maybe you should try surgically attaching a couple of razor blades to your soles. Voila. Lightest pair of skates in the world.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 06:26 AM
Primrose Everdeen
Miss Misery

vCash: 100
When I switched from my 10-year-old CCM 452's to a newer (but still inexpensive) Bauer skate, it was a world of difference.

Only really in feel carrying them perhaps though. I didn't really think about any kind of difference when I was out on the ice.

Primrose Everdeen is offline   Reply With Quote