HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Discussion Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2013, 10:28 PM
daynus

vCash: 500
dont worry fellas

we just started a new streak. and we are not gonna crank out many wins in the last 8. with grossman,coburn,mez out, we are rolling

Old
04-11-2013, 10:49 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Hey Colorado....your doing it wrong.

Old
04-11-2013, 10:54 PM
domestique

Still a 10% chance of winning the lottery!

Anyone have a date of the lottery drawing?

Old
04-11-2013, 10:56 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
April 29th I believe

Old
04-11-2013, 11:07 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Cam Ward going down really F'd up Carolina's season. They were at least a boarderline playoff team earlier this year with him.

Old
04-11-2013, 11:17 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Wow Carolina is tanking hard......

Oh and nice to see Weber is paying huge dividends for Nashville....

Anyway...Flyers are seriously going to have a hard time winning more than one game at any given time in these remaining weeks. That 4 game winning streak was so useless....it was like a last death gasp.

Old
04-12-2013, 02:18 AM
domestique

Draft Lottery chances:

Team 1 25.0%

Team 2 18.8%

Team 3 14.2%

Team 4 10.7%

Team 5 8.1%

Team 6 6.2%

Team 7 4.7%

Team 8 3.6%

Team 9 2.7%

Team 10 2.1%

Team 11 1.5%

Team 12 1.1%

Team 13 0.8%

Team 14 0.5%

Draft Lottery Chances

Old
04-12-2013, 05:12 AM
Psuhockey

If Seth Jones ends up in Calgary or even worst Edmonton, Gary Bettman should be fired for continually being terrible at his job. He wouldn't be able to do dirty right.

Old
04-12-2013, 05:57 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
If Seth Jones ends up in Calgary or even worst Edmonton, Gary Bettman should be fired for continually being terrible at his job. He wouldn't be able to do dirty right.
Maybe I missed something, but what does Bettman have to do with where Seth Jones winds up?

Old
04-12-2013, 06:01 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Maybe I missed something, but what does Bettman have to do with where Seth Jones winds up?
Continuing to keep NHL franchises in non-hockey cities like Calgary and Edmonton?

Old
04-12-2013, 06:03 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Continuing to keep NHL franchises in non-hockey cities like Calgary and Edmonton?
Gotta bring them all down south. The sunbelt is a hotbed for hockey. Screw Canada.

Old
04-12-2013, 07:17 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Carolina has got to win a couple games, don't they?

Old
04-12-2013, 07:50 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
Carolina has got to win a couple games, don't they?
Their schedule (8 games left) is: Boston (H), Ottawa (A), Winnipeg (A), Philadelphia (H), Tampa Bay (A), NYI (H), NYR (H), Pittsburgh (A).

Maybe 2 wins? Hopefully a 3-pointer against TBay.

The other tanker schedules are (italics represent Epic Tank Battle):

Tampa Bay (8): Washington (A), Buffalo (A), Winnipeg (A), Montreal (A), Carolina (H), Toronto (A), Boston (H), Florida (H)

Florida (8): Pittsburgh (H), NYI (A), NYR (A), New Jersey (A), Boston (A), NYR (H), Toronto (H), Tampa Bay (A)

Colorado (7): Vancouver (H), Columbus (H), Edmonton (H), St. Louis (H), St. Louis (A), Phoenix (A), Minnesota (H)

Calgary (9): Phoenix (H), Edmonton (A), Minnesota (H), Detroit (H), Anaheim (H), Minnesota (A), Nashville (A), St. Louis (A), Chicago (A)

Nashville (7): Dallas (H), Detroit (H), Vancouver (H), Chicago (A), Calgary (H), Detroit (A), Columbus (A)

My earlier prediction of 7th place draft order (unchanged by lottery) for the Flyers stands.

Old
04-12-2013, 07:54 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
My earlier prediction of 7th place draft order (unchanged by lottery) for the Flyers stands.
Yup, that's pretty much exactly where I have them finishing, except I think Buffalo is in that group as well.

Colorado, Florida, and Calgary are 1-3.
Carolina and Nashville are 4 and 5.
Tampa Bay, Buffalo, and the Flyers are 6-8.

We need to lose Saturday.
Quote:
TANK WATCH:
Friday April 12, 2013

Dallas v. Nashville
Phoenix v. Calgary
Nashville needs to find a few wins somewhere along the way to keep them out of the top-5. They've been ok at home this year. Maybe they can break their losing streak.

Similarly, Calgary has been significantly better at home than on the road. Since they have 9 games left, they are probably the only team capable of climbing out of the top three at this point.

Last edited by Jack de la Hoya: 04-12-2013 at 08:05 AM.
Old
04-12-2013, 09:09 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
It all depends on whether or not you believe draft lotteries are rigged from time to time. I tend to believe under special circumstances they have been. It's more than likely crazy talk, but big corporations have done worst behind closed doors.

Old
04-12-2013, 09:16 AM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

If we finish 6th anf carolina finishes with the 5th pick, do you think they'd take Nurse?

Old
04-12-2013, 09:20 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

If the lottery is rigged (I don't know that I necessarily believe it is, although the whole situation with Pittsburgh was fishy) then I hope they give the big market team who's been lacking a franchise defenseman since the Stone Age the 1st overall pick.

Would it not be great for the league to have a highly marketable American player taken first overall (who happens to be African American) play in one of the premiere american organizations in the league? I think so. The league likely wants to remain with the support of NBC... The flyers have long been one of the networks favorite teams to market, along with the rangers considering the networks headquarters in both NYC and Philly. I'd have to think NBC would be pretty happy if that were to happen as well.

Make it happen, Gary.

Old
04-12-2013, 09:21 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post
If we finish 6th anf carolina finishes with the 5th pick, do you think they'd take Nurse?
I think it is certainly possible.

COL: Jones
CGY/FLA: Mackinnon / Drouin
Nashville: Barkov
Carolina: Nurse

You could even throw Tampa in there at 5--I think they might take Nichushkin--he'd fit a need, and the team hasn't been reluctant to take Russians in the past few years.

That's probably the worst-case scenario for the Flyers. They'd be left with Lindholm / Monahan as the BPA (consensus list), or reaching a bit for Ristolainen.

Old
04-12-2013, 09:27 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
I think it is certainly possible.

COL: Jones
CGY/FLA: Mackinnon / Drouin
Nashville: Barkov
Carolina: Nurse

You could even throw Tampa in there at 5--I think they might take Nichushkin--he'd fit a need, and the team hasn't been reluctant to take Russians in the past few years.

That's probably the worst-case scenario for the Flyers. They'd be left with Lindholm / Monahan as the BPA (consensus list), or reaching a bit for Ristolainen.
In this case, what I would do is pick Lindholm (because he can play wing too, and I personally believe his future is on the wing) and then trade Couturier plus our 2nd to Phoenix for Rundblad and their 1st and then pick Ristolainen or Zadorov with the Yotes pick. Imagine this in a few years.

Lindholm - Giroux - Voracek
Simmonds - Schenn - Read
Hartnell - Laughton - Gagne
Rinaldo - Hall? - Talbot

Rundblad - Schenn
Grossmann - Ristolainen
Coburn - Gustafsson

Doubt Phoenix would make that trade, but it would be pretty cool.

Old
04-12-2013, 09:30 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
In this case, what I would do is pick Lindholm (because he can play wing too, and I personally believe his future is on the wing) and then trade Couturier plus our 2nd to Phoenix for Rundblad and their 1st and then pick Ristolainen or Zadorov with the Yotes pick. Imagine this in a few years.

Lindholm - Giroux - Voracek
Simmonds - Schenn - Read
Hartnell - Laughton - Gagne
Rinaldo - Hall? - Talbot

Rundblad - Schenn
Grossmann - Ristolainen
Coburn - Gustafsson

Doubt Phoenix would make that trade, but it would be pretty cool.
Eh, I'm not sold on Rundblad, and I'm not sure if there's a point in moving Couturier for the tenth overall pick or so.

If you're going to deal with PHX, why not just trade them the 7th overall for Gormley? They can take Monahan or Lindholm. Or take Lindholm and trade Laughton.

If we're trading Couturier, I want a defenseman who is definitely NHL-ready, not a guy who might be a few years off.

Old
04-12-2013, 09:38 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Eh, I'm not sold on Rundblad, and I'm not sure if there's a point in moving Couturier for the tenth overall pick or so.

If you're going to deal with PHX, why not just trade them the 7th overall for Gormley? They can take Monahan or Lindholm. Or take Lindholm and trade Laughton.

If we're trading Couturier, I want a defenseman who is definitely NHL-ready, not a guy who might be a few years off.
Rundblad is nhl ready; he's not going to get any better than he already is playing in the ahl. He's just stuck in a very stingy defensive group in PHX.

Also, everyone keeps saying how they only want an nhl ready top pairing defenseman for couturier, but I'm not quite sure what reality couturier gets us that in...

Couturier holds more value than Laughton so there's no point in trade Laughton because he won't get you that much in return, and I honestly believe he's better suited to a 3rd line c than Couts is.

I'd rather have Lindholm, Rundblad and Ristolainen than Couturier and Gormley.

Old
04-12-2013, 09:46 AM
Zinnny

Coots used to play left wing, and then was switched to center in juniors. I don't see why they don't try him out at left wing again. I'd be interested in seeing a Coots/G/Voracek line.

Old
04-12-2013, 10:01 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Rundblad is nhl ready; he's not going to get any better than he already is playing in the ahl. He's just stuck in a very stingy defensive group in PHX.

Also, everyone keeps saying how they only want an nhl ready top pairing defenseman for couturier, but I'm not quite sure what reality couturier gets us that in...

Couturier holds more value than Laughton so there's no point in trade Laughton because he won't get you that much in return, and I honestly believe he's better suited to a 3rd line c than Couts is.

I'd rather have Lindholm, Rundblad and Ristolainen than Couturier and Gormley.
You haven't exactly set that last comparison up fairly. It would be Couturier, Gormley, and whoever we take at 36th overall. [Hagg? De la Rose?, etc.]

But, I agree, Rundblad is NHL ready--I just don't think he's worth Couturier. With the exception of one great season in Sweden, he's hasn't exactly set the worth on fire since his draft year--and he's been fairly disappointing since coming over.

I don't think Couturier gets a top-pairing defenseman either. But Rundblad isn't worth Couturier.

Why not just move the pick straight across for the defensive prospect? It cuts out years of development and addresses an organizational need. Maybe Couturier is better suited for 2C--perhaps Schenn shifts to wing.

Schenn-Giroux-Voracek [I'd like to give this another look]
Hartnell-Couturier-Simmonds
Talbot/Gagne - Laughton - Read
Talbot/McGinn - Hall - Rinaldo

Timonen-Schenn
Gormley-Coburn
Grossmann-Mezsaros [Gustasson]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinnny View Post
Coots used to play left wing, and then was switched to center in juniors. I don't see why they don't try him out at left wing again. I'd be interested in seeing a Coots/G/Voracek line.
I wouldn't mind seeing it, particularly in these last few weeks, but I think Couturier's skating might hold him back a bit at wing in the NHL, and you're giving up a bit of his defensive value there.

Old
04-12-2013, 10:04 AM
Curufinwe

He should play on the second line for the rest for this season.

Old
04-12-2013, 10:05 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

The percentage as the 6th team isn't that bad. 6.7% might seem small, but the new draft has given it a very equal ground

Closed Thread