HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

David Desharnais - Black or White Edition

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-12-2013, 08:54 AM
  #801
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Lol Bourque on the 4th line. You guys are funny.
We have 10-11 top 9 forwards if you include Prust and Moen. Someone will be sent to 4th by default.

LyricalLyricist is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 09:36 AM
  #802
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
And while we keep hearing about his average production on PP (which is more a consequence of the Subban/Markov oriented team strategy), nobody mentions that DD is still the 4th best Habs scorer on even strenght. This is for this year, what many considers an "off year". Last year, he was the 1st scorer on ES.

How many points do each center gets by every 60 minutes on even strenght?

Desharnais : 1,98
Eller : 1,97
Plekanec : 1,61

For comparison only :
Crosby : 4,05
J. Thornton : 1,77
B. Richards : 1,59

Not too bad.
Enter "sheltered minutes" excuse where people change definition daily.

Thing is his ES production is still fair but PP is meh. I agree we use points more but still people expect more and that's fine. Just as long as criteria is same for any player.

LyricalLyricist is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 10:04 AM
  #803
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,777
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Enter "sheltered minutes" excuse where people change definition daily.
Nothing at all has been changed. His line gets by far the most offensive zone starts of our forwards and he doesn't play against the oppositions top line. His line does dominate even strength though, so he's doing his job out there on even strength.

But don't deny that his line is put into the position to produce offensively more than others on this team. But some of the best players in this league are used in exploitation roles. That just puts Desharnais in the same group as Tavares.

And while Desharnais is playing with two wingers who are also dominating posession out there, his corsi is higher than Gallagher (but not the ridiculously Corsi-friendly Pacioretty), so he's not being carried.

I still want to try him on the wing though.

Et le But is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 11:02 AM
  #804
NHLFutureGuy3
Registered User
 
NHLFutureGuy3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 481
vCash: 500
I think this team is better at the winger position than its been for years. Even if you wanted to move Desharnais to the wing right now, I don't know where you would put him. Perhaps you think he would do better than Gionta at the wing. I don't think he would be better and I think we will resign Gionta for next year.

So if by next year you see a scenario where:
1) Desharnais is surpassed by the other centers
2) He's not physical enough to play winger
3) There are no injuries to either Plekanec, Eller, or Galchenyuk

Desharnais will either have to be scratched or you may have to move one of Eller or Galchenyuk to wing. If we move Eller or Galchenyuk to wing just to accommodate Desharnais, that would be putting him ahead of the team.

As always, I feel the need to add that I loved what Bouillion did sticking up for his teammate last night. He's a true warrior. I would be the first one cheering if somehow we landed Martin St-Louis. For a very long time, I really, really wanted Vincent Lecavelier on this team. This is because I find all three of these guys are contributors to a team. I question Desharnais' contract because I seriously question the small statured, one dimensional guys ability to produce better than our young guys.


To all of you guys laughing at this healthy scratch notion. I compared his healthy scratch to what is happening right now to Yannick Webber. On another team Yannick Webber might be playing as a regular. We just have too much depth for Yannick Webber right now. Sometimes healthy scratches are no fault of the players. They just happen because the player is simply not as good as the other players on the team. So if Plex, Eller and Chucky all surpass him, a healthy scratch may be what happens to him. By next year, I don't see Desharnais being good enough to contribute to the top 9 on the Montreal Canadiens.


Last edited by overlords: 04-12-2013 at 11:20 AM.
NHLFutureGuy3 is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 11:08 AM
  #805
Habtchum*
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLFutureGuy3 View Post
I think this team is better at the winger position than its been for years. Even if you wanted to move Desharnais to the wing right now, I don't know where you would put him. Perhaps you think he would do better than Gionta at the wing. I don't think he would be better and I think we will resign Gionta for next year.

So if by next year you see a scenario where:
1) Desharnais is surpassed by the other centers
2) He's not physical enough to play winger
3) There are no injuries to either Plekanec, Eller, or Galchenyuk

Desharnais will either have to be scratched or you may have to move one of Eller or Galchenyuk to wing. If we move Eller or Galchenyuk to wing just to accommodate Desharnais, that would be putting him ahead of the team.

As always, I feel the need to add that I loved what Bouillion did sticking up for his teammate last night. He's a true warrior. I would be the first one cheering if somehow we landed Martin St-Louis. For a very long time, I really, really wanted Vincent Lecavelier on this team. This is because I find all three of these guys are contributors to a team. I question Desharnais' contract because I seriously question the small statured, one dimensional guys ability to produce better than our young guys.


To all of you guys laughing at this healthy scratch notion. I compared his healthy scratch to what is happening right now to Yannick Webber. On another team Yannick Webber might be playing as a regular. We just have too much depth for Yannick Webber right now. Sometimes healthy scratches are no fault of the players. They just happen because the player is simply not as good as the other players on the team. So if Plex, Eller and Chucky all surpass him, a healthy scratch may be what happens to him. By next year, I don't see Desharnais being good enough to contribute to the top 9 on the Montreal Canadiens.
Lots of speculation here... Anf IF DD would rebound ang give the habs another 60 points + season ?

And IF we got Eller or Plekanec or Galchenyuk injured ?

Right now, DD is still paid 850K, and his next contract is no problem if Habs really want to trade him down the road for whatever reasons.

How many more threads and zillions of posts about a player who is supposed to be so "insignificant" for some enraged posters on this board ?

I am very happy with ALL the centers we have. Stop focusing on a single player.


Last edited by Habtchum*: 04-12-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Habtchum* is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 11:23 AM
  #806
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
For the last time, keep the local/language spin out of this (and all) threads. Infractions and threadbans are a lot easier and quicker to give out than posting warnings.

overlords is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 11:39 AM
  #807
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,458
vCash: 500
I was right all along and wrong about being wrong, DD isn't that great of a top 6 forward

coolasprICE is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 11:49 AM
  #808
Milhouse40
Registered User
 
Milhouse40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Nothing at all has been changed. His line gets by far the most offensive zone starts of our forwards and he doesn't play against the oppositions top line. His line does dominate even strength though, so he's doing his job out there on even strength.

But don't deny that his line is put into the position to produce offensively more than others on this team. But some of the best players in this league are used in exploitation roles. That just puts Desharnais in the same group as Tavares.

And while Desharnais is playing with two wingers who are also dominating posession out there, his corsi is higher than Gallagher (but not the ridiculously Corsi-friendly Pacioretty), so he's not being carried.

I still want to try him on the wing though.

Really, why?

I strongly disagree.....This years , we have duo that have been more stable.
Just like the duo of Pacioretty and Desharnais. Offensively they are good, no doubt:

But at 5 on 5:

Galchenyuk : 14 goals against
Eller: 16 goals against

Plekanec: 18 goals against
Gionta: 18 goals against

Desharnais: 29 goals against
Pacioretty: 23 goals agasnst

Do Pacioretty and DD played against top offensive line?
No, they play more against defensive line....

Do Pacioretty and DD are the one taking all the defensive start?
No, they are the one who take the less defensive start...

Do Pacioretty and DD are more on the ice than any other line?
No....average ice-time and lots PP time.

They've been better lately, they've been really good last night......but it was easy for everyone to look good last night.

They brings some great offensive together, that's for sure.....but they should not be on the ice more than Plek and Gio considering the way they are used.

They just need to find some defensive awareness, cause that line as been as good offensively as it is bad defensively!

Milhouse40 is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 12:04 PM
  #809
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,777
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post
Really, why?

I strongly disagree.....This years , we have duo that have been more stable.
Just like the duo of Pacioretty and Desharnais. Offensively they are good, no doubt:

But at 5 on 5:

Galchenyuk : 14 goals against
Eller: 16 goals against

Plekanec: 18 goals against
Gionta: 18 goals against

Desharnais: 29 goals against
Pacioretty: 23 goals agasnst

Do Pacioretty and DD played against top offensive line?
No, they play more against defensive line....

Do Pacioretty and DD are the one taking all the defensive start?
No, they are the one who take the less defensive start...

Do Pacioretty and DD are more on the ice than any other line?
No....average ice-time and lots PP time.

They've been better lately, they've been really good last night......but it was easy for everyone to look good last night.

They brings some great offensive together, that's for sure.....but they should not be on the ice more than Plek and Gio considering the way they are used.

They just need to find some defensive awareness, cause that line as been as good offensively as it is bad defensively!
I'm just saying that the Desharnais line does play overwhelmingly in the opposition zone and gets more chances than they give up - it seems that way watching them, and the corsi and fenwick numbers support that.

Of course they are helped significantly by how they use. DD gets something like 59% of starts in the o-zone, his wingers slightly more, and they are playing against mainly third line competition (though it's not like they are never on the ice against top 6). Even Scott Gomez was able to have favorable corsi when sheltered....

But Desharnais and his wingers haven't just possessed the puck but also produced. They are playing like a second line which is fine for how this team is constructed.

In the future, Galchenyuk might be a better option in that role than Desharnais. But right now Galchenyuk is still very young and is thriving in his current role. He has great chemistry with Eller.

Productive centers are not a luxury you rush to give away; Habs fans complain ad-nasuem about how we don't have tall PPG centers but our surplus of good centers is something other teams should envy. Notice how few offensive centers were moved on the trade deadline.

Desharnais is playing like a 2nd liner on even strength. He's not a 2-way player, but this team has a surplus of 2-way talent so that's really not a problem. The only thing to be concerned about right now is how useless he is on the PP.

Et le But is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 12:14 PM
  #810
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I'm just saying that the Desharnais line does play overwhelmingly in the opposition zone and gets more chances than they give up - it seems that way watching them, and the corsi and fenwick numbers support that.

Of course they are helped significantly by how they use. DD gets something like 59% of starts in the o-zone, his wingers slightly more, and they are playing against mainly third line competition (though it's not like they are never on the ice against top 6). Even Scott Gomez was able to have favorable corsi when sheltered....

But Desharnais and his wingers haven't just possessed the puck but also produced. They are playing like a second line which is fine for how this team is constructed.

In the future, Galchenyuk might be a better option in that role than Desharnais. But right now Galchenyuk is still very young and is thriving in his current role. He has great chemistry with Eller.

Productive centers are not a luxury you rush to give away; Habs fans complain ad-nasuem about how we don't have tall PPG centers but our surplus of good centers is something other teams should envy. Notice how few offensive centers were moved on the trade deadline.

Desharnais is playing like a 2nd liner on even strength. He's not a 2-way player, but this team has a surplus of 2-way talent so that's really not a problem. The only thing to be concerned about right now is how useless he is on the PP.
Great post, as usual.

overlords is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 12:28 PM
  #811
Habtchum*
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,726
vCash: 500
On the road, the Desharnais line isstill considered the #1 line and opposing coaches are sending their best defensive lines and d-men to play against them.

Habtchum* is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 01:29 PM
  #812
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Nothing at all has been changed. His line gets by far the most offensive zone starts of our forwards and he doesn't play against the oppositions top line. His line does dominate even strength though, so he's doing his job out there on even strength.

But don't deny that his line is put into the position to produce offensively more than others on this team. But some of the best players in this league are used in exploitation roles. That just puts Desharnais in the same group as Tavares.

And while Desharnais is playing with two wingers who are also dominating posession out there, his corsi is higher than Gallagher (but not the ridiculously Corsi-friendly Pacioretty), so he's not being carried.

I still want to try him on the wing though.
But opposition's 'top line' definition changes so much depending on which argument people want to spin.

Originally, it was he's weak defensively so cant play vs their top offensive lines which is fair. Then it was noted he plays vs some very good defensive lines but people are comparing the offensive stats now and making the same justifications.

To be honest, you, overlords and others are very objective. I hope you don't take offense to it but some guys use selective stats to try and prove a point.

The new thing now is "TOI per win/loss" which is just stupid. Yet, people look for stuff to support their claims not to discuss hockey. It's a discussion board not a I'm-right-you're-wrong board.

If there's one thing that annoys me the most on this forum(hf in general) is people's use of stats. I feel people use biased stats to prove a point and it's annoying because they assume people won't see a flaw in their logic. It's not to say ALL stats are false, that would be extreme. Every stat is useful! Just context is important and so is mentioning a complete statistic.

FWIW, offensive zone starts is a fair argument but coincidently that implies he's facing some above average faceoff men for the defensive side but we rarely see that brought up.

QCOM annoys me a bit because one minute people use it as a definition for offensive prowess and another people try to justify defensive strength using it.

Corsi is just using something that's somewhat correlated as a baseline. Shot differentials. Not really quality of shots, just shot differentials. Then we compare it relative to each other and make conclusions. It's an interesting way to use stats but not fool proof. For instance, if a line shoots often but low quality shots their value will be deemed higher than someone who shoots less often but better quality shots.

The idea is shots eventually win you games and the majority of the time you cannot be outshot and win long term. Fair enough but as long as people realize what this is based on.

PK plays vs other team's top lines and his rel QOC corsi is less than Desharnais. I guess he plays sheltered minutes? O-zone starts above 50% as well

Either way, apart from that stuff I agree with general consensus here. DD needs to be better and his PP production isn't what we've come to expect from him. Changes are necessary at least to test what we have for long term plans.

LyricalLyricist is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 02:05 PM
  #813
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,777
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
But opposition's 'top line' definition changes so much depending on which argument people want to spin.

Originally, it was he's weak defensively so cant play vs their top offensive lines which is fair. Then it was noted he plays vs some very good defensive lines but people are comparing the offensive stats now and making the same justifications.

FWIW, offensive zone starts is a fair argument but coincidently that implies he's facing some above average faceoff men for the defensive side but we rarely see that brought up.
What it means is he's playing against mainly "third liners" and some fourth liners, whatever that means. It's not a science and it's something plenty of us have argued plenty of times when it comes to calling Eller a "third liner" or whether or not Plekanec is a "first liner" or not. What it does mean is the the type of players Desharnais & co. play against are the type that start in their own zone, which means they are expected to exert energy on defense more or at least as much as they do on offense. This includes everything from two way threats like Eller to defensive specialists to tweeners put there because nobody knows what else to do with them.

What that does mean is Desharnais does play against quality competition at times, including defenses that are difficult to break down. Which means Desharnais has to at least be above replacement level offensively to produce, which he clearly is. What it also means is that he can focus on the offensive side of things more exclusively than others on this team which makes his job easier in that regard. I'm sure you will agree that Desharnais doesn't have to fight for the puck as much as other centers on this team do. Would Plekanec and Eller be more productive offensively in Desharnais' role? Most likely. Would they be significantly more productive than Desharnais? This is debatable, in my opinion Plekanec would, but not to a significant degree. And having Plekanec get 60 points in a 2 way role is far more valuable than having him get 70 in a 1 way role.

And yes, sometimes "third lines" are more dangerous than "first lines". What we do mean though, is that if Therrien knows that the the opposing coach just put out what he thinks is their best or even second best offensive line, he's putting out Plekanec, and if not Plek, then Eller or maybe even Halpern in some situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
The new thing now is "TOI per win/loss" which is just stupid. Yet, people look for stuff to support their claims not to discuss hockey. It's a discussion board not a I'm-right-you're-wrong board.
No arguments here. I'm sure this argument could work in some cases (if Boullion is playing more than Subban, it's probably effecting our win/loss record), but in this thread it seems cherry picked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
If there's one thing that annoys me the most on this forum(hf in general) is people's use of stats. I feel people use biased stats to prove a point and it's annoying because they assume people won't see a flaw in their logic. It's not to say ALL stats are false, that would be extreme. Every stat is useful! Just context is important and so is mentioning a complete statistic.
I agree completely, and if I use stats more than most, it's because I hate to see them butchered for someone's agenda. In this thread, stats are being cherry picked by a few extreme posters on both sides. There's nothing wrong with using stats to fit your argument though, especially when they show an obvious trend. But I'm at least trying to frame things within context


Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
QCOM annoys me a bit because one minute people use it as a definition for offensive prowess and another people try to justify defensive strength using it.
QCOM is pretty useless without context. It's one of my favourite stats for comparisons though, as long as the comparisons are sane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Corsi is just using something that's somewhat correlated as a baseline. Shot differentials. Not really quality of shots, just shot differentials. Then we compare it relative to each other and make conclusions. It's an interesting way to use stats but not fool proof. For instance, if a line shoots often but low quality shots their value will be deemed higher than someone who shoots less often but better quality shots.

The idea is shots eventually win you games and the majority of the time you cannot be outshot and win long term. Fair enough but as long as people realize what this is based on.
Let me put it this way with Corsi, Desharnais has the highest corsi of any center on this team this year; last year only Gomez and Dumont had higher. Eller and Plekanec have slightly negative corsi. As far as I'm concerned it's a useless measure by itself. However, for an "exploitation" role having negative corsi would be unacceptable. Desharnais doesn't have this problem, so there's nothing to dicuss here. I think possession stats are more important looking at the team as a whole though.

As far as shots go, it's possible to be effective being both a high volume, low accuracy shooter (Gionta made a career of this!) and a high accuracy opportunist shooter, but it's pretty obvious if you are outshooting the oppisition by a considerable amount you are more likely to win. This doesn't take into account goaltending though, which makes or breaks team. This picture sums it up far better than I can: http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/20...ide-to-fenwick Basically, teams with high possession are 3/4ths more successful in the playoffs (poor Sharks). Since 2008 the only team to win the cup with a sub-.500 Fenwick was the 2009 Pens, and that's only because of the poor start of the season under MT - they well over it after Bylsma took over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
PK plays vs other team's top lines and his rel QOC corsi is less than Desharnais. I guess he plays sheltered minutes? O-zone starts above 50% as well
Last I checked PK's QOC is greater than DD's, as his his starts. His stats are skewed by his usage for the first few weeks after holding out - another problem with stats is that this season is distorted by the lockout, individual games can mess the numbers up. Therrien has been using PK in a harder and harder role as the season has gone on.

Et le But is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 03:32 PM
  #814
WakeUpNHL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 634
vCash: 500
What is obvious to me is that DD is being carried by his wingers. Maxpac and Gally are dominating puck possession and DD is benefiting from this greatly.

DD's future with the Habs is totally dependent on Chuckie's progress, as soon as he is ready to play center then DD will be moved. Our center depth will be:

Chuckie
Plekanec
Eller

In the meantime I wish Therrien starts giving Chuckie/Eller more power play time at the expense of DD.

WakeUpNHL is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 03:45 PM
  #815
NHLFutureGuy3
Registered User
 
NHLFutureGuy3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltese View Post
Lots of speculation here... Anf IF DD would rebound ang give the habs another 60 points + season ?
If DD rebounds, I will eat crow. I am confident about the fact that he will be surpassed by the young centers though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltese View Post
And IF we got Eller or Plekanec or Galchenyuk injured ?
If any of the three centers are injured, Desharnais would be good as an insurance policy. I don't think you should give a contract like that to someone who is an insurance policy though. This is why I hate the contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltese View Post
Right now, DD is still paid 850K, and his next contract is no problem if Habs really want to trade him down the road for whatever reasons.
I predict he will deserve to be a healthy scratch at some point next season. It will be hard to trade him if he is a healthy scratch and with that length of a contract. This is also why I hate the contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltese View Post
How many more threads and zillions of posts about a player who is supposed to be so "insignificant" for some enraged posters on this board ?
I don't consider his contract to be insignificant. Once again, I hate the contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltese View Post
I am very happy with ALL the centers we have. Stop focusing on a single player.

Have you seen how good our team is this year? There really isn't much to complain about. instead of spending energy praising PK Subban, I complain about Desharnais' contract.

Did I mention I hate Desharnais' contract?

NHLFutureGuy3 is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 03:50 PM
  #816
Habtchum*
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLFutureGuy3 View Post
If DD rebounds, I will eat crow. I am confident about the fact that he will be surpassed by the young centers though



If any of the three centers are injured, Desharnais would be good as an insurance policy. I don't think you should give a contract like that to someone who is an insurance policy though. This is why I hate the contract



I predict he will deserve to be a healthy scratch at some point next season. It will be hard to trade him if he is a healthy scratch and with that length of a contract. This is also why I hate the contract.



I don't consider his contract to be insignificant. Once again, I hate the contract




Have you seen how good our team is this year? There really isn't much to complain about. instead of spending energy praising PK Subban, I complain about Desharnais' contract.

Did I mention I hate Desharnais' contract?
Keep hating. It's up to you. I don't care.

What really counts are the decisions the Habs management are making for the good of the team. So far, so good.

Habtchum* is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 04:39 PM
  #817
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 21,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeUpNHL View Post
What is obvious to me is that DD is being carried by his wingers. Maxpac and Gally are dominating puck possession and DD is benefiting from this greatly.

.
You're probably the only person from whom such a thing is obvious, because Max Pac isn't dominating at anything this season...

MXD is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 04:44 PM
  #818
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,035
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeUpNHL View Post
What is obvious to me is that DD is being carried by his wingers. Maxpac and Gally are dominating puck possession and DD is benefiting from this greatly.

DD's future with the Habs is totally dependent on Chuckie's progress, as soon as he is ready to play center then DD will be moved. Our center depth will be:

Chuckie
Plekanec
Eller

In the meantime I wish Therrien starts giving Chuckie/Eller more power play time at the expense of DD.
I wouldn't go that far... DD's strenght is when he gets open space. If you give him 2-3 foot to work he will make things happen, he's just not the kind of player to go on the boards and win battles. He just can't. That bothers me...

The best player on this line puck possession-wise is Gally... He looks like Crosby sometimes. Good elusive skater.

Mrb1p is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 04:45 PM
  #819
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate
 
One Man Rock Band's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 44,594
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeUpNHL View Post
What is obvious to me is that DD is being carried by his wingers. Maxpac and Gally are dominating puck possession and DD is benefiting from this greatly.

DD's future with the Habs is totally dependent on Chuckie's progress, as soon as he is ready to play center then DD will be moved. Our center depth will be:

Chuckie
Plekanec
Eller

In the meantime I wish Therrien starts giving Chuckie/Eller more power play time at the expense of DD.
If Eller is going to be as good as people think, what makes you think he'll sign long-term to play behind two 20 minutes a game centers?

One Man Rock Band is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 04:50 PM
  #820
pine*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
If Eller is going to be as good as people think, what makes you think he'll sign long-term to play behind two 20 minutes a game centers?
Jordan Staal signed with the Pens to play behind Crosby and Malkin, did he not?

pine* is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 05:04 PM
  #821
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 21,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
If Eller is going to be as good as people think, what makes you think he'll sign long-term to play behind two 20 minutes a game centers?
Yeah...
Another thing I completely forgot about, but which is certainly true.
Eller's contract year is next season, and he'll certainly get a significant raise (I mean, he makes 1,325M at the moment....). He'll then be three years away from UFA status, unless that was changed in the CBA, which I doubt.

In other words... Can be kept here at somewhere between 2.5 and 3M, for the reminder of his RFA years.

The problem is, he'll probably be third on the priority order for Bergevin (and rightfully so), unless Andrei Markov isn't in the plans anymore, or Subban just stops knowing how to play hockey in the meantime.

So the money available for Eller will directly depend on the money given to Subban and Markov; plus, Diaz and Emelin will have to be factored in as well, though I think Eller is ahead of them in the priority order.

Don't know where I'm going with this though.... Other than I don't think he'll get somewhere between 2.5 and 3, which will basically eat his RFA years, leaving him an UFA-to-be at the end of that contract.

Unless Eller wants a 2-year deal, which I can definitely see the rationale of doing this for both sides. Then, look at a salary in the same range than what I said before, thus giving the team a little more leeway regarding what they want to do with Eller.

Note : Before somebody wants to burn me at the stake for suggesting that Lars Eller will have a cheaper contract than David Desharnais, I'd like to remind that DD's contract "burnt" three UFA seasons. The deal I suggested for Eller doesn't. Also, DD was rightfully top priority for 13-14 onwards (in other words, excluding Subban), while Eller rightfully won't for 14-15 onwards.


Last edited by MXD: 04-12-2013 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Note added
MXD is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 05:06 PM
  #822
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 21,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pine View Post
Jordan Staal signed with the Pens to play behind Crosby and Malkin, did he not?
When Staal signed that deal (I guess you talk about the 4 year, 16 millions total), he was significantly younger than what Eller will be at the end of next season.

MXD is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 05:14 PM
  #823
MonkeyBusiness
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
If Eller is going to be as good as people think, what makes you think he'll sign long-term to play behind two 20 minutes a game centers?

That's still a good problem to have, if he ever develops into a second line center we could always make a trade involving him or Plekanec.

MonkeyBusiness is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 05:20 PM
  #824
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate
 
One Man Rock Band's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 44,594
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pine View Post
Jordan Staal signed with the Pens to play behind Crosby and Malkin, did he not?
Yeah, when he was what? 21? Pretty sure him not wanting to be a career 3rd line center is the reason he was traded. He turned down the exact same offer from Pittsburgh that he signed weeks later.

One Man Rock Band is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 05:23 PM
  #825
MonkeyBusiness
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Yeah, when he was what? 21? Pretty sure him not wanting to be a career 3rd line center is the reason he was traded. He turned down the exact same offer from Pittsburgh that he signed weeks later.
The habs don't have 2 superstar centers, if Eller ever becomes the center we want him to be he could easily dethrone one of our top 2 centers.

MonkeyBusiness is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:38 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.