HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers sign Petr Straka to Entry-Level Contract (Baie-Comeau - QMJHL)

Old
04-12-2013, 11:49 AM
Curufinwe

vCash: 500
I think they should keep Gagne.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 11:53 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Thats fine if that's the vet right winger. I guess the team can take the approach to keep everyone (if we do sign Gagne, there is just 1 spot open on the forwards line that will be different then right now). They will taking the spot that the sophmores will do better. Don't know if Snider will like that approach.

The team HAS to find a way to upgrade their defense. If they go the FA route for an older more expierenced defense then so be it. Some people here think that Jones or Nurse will be slotted in right away. I dont think thats the smart thing to do, especially for a defender.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 11:53 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
I agree. He has done well and is still one of the smarter players on the team.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 11:57 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I agree. He has done well and is still one of the smarter players on the team.
Agreed.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 12:03 PM
BillDineen

Quote:
I disagree. Fans want to keep Gagne because they like him. I like him. Realistically, how are you going to improve a bottom dwelling team by just keeping the same secondary players and hoping there is a magic spark next season? You can't IMO.

Feds has been the better player anyway and no one is calling for him being re-signed. I like Gagne, but it is time to move on.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 12:12 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
I disagree. Fans want to keep Gagne because they like him. I like him. Realistically, how are you going to improve a bottom dwelling team by just keeping the same secondary players and hoping there is a magic spark next season? You can't IMO.

Feds has been the better player anyway and no one is calling for him being re-signed. I like Gagne, but it is time to move on.
i hope they resign fed for the same or slightly more. If you can get gagne cheap on a 1 year deal, that sis ok. i dont want to go that route either but you could do worse. i just have a fear of a multi year 5mm total type deal that no other team would even remotely offer him.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 12:17 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post

I don't think it is simply sentiment. Gagne has looked good since his arrival. He's still a very good skater and plays a solid two-way game. This team's defensive issues are deeper than its blue-line, and I see Gagne as an asset in a 3rd liner role (assuming his is paid as such).

Gagne-Couturier-Read would be a nice third line for next year.

Jack de la Hoya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 12:18 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticket View Post
i hope they resign fed for the same or slightly more. If you can get gagne cheap on a 1 year deal, that sis ok. i dont want to go that route either but you could do worse. i just have a fear of a multi year 5mm total type deal that no other team would even remotely offer him.
Instead of overpaying for Rusty, why not go for a guy like Brad Boyes? We have a ton of pkers now (Hall, Couturier, Read, Gagne, Talbot, etc etc). I think Hall makes us not need Rusty.

I am also on the same boat that I don't think keeping the exact same players as this season is a smart thing.

Old
04-12-2013, 12:25 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Instead of overpaying for Rusty, why not go for a guy like Brad Boyes? We have a ton of pkers now (Hall, Couturier, Read, Gagne, Talbot, etc etc). I think Hall makes us not need Rusty.

I am also on the same boat that I don't think keeping the exact same players as this season is a smart thing.
you dont overpay for rusty. same salary maybe a 10% increase or what not.
I also hope they do the smart thing and get hall at league minimum or 800k. anything else is an overpayment.

it is a shame talbot broke his leg as i would look to move him.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 01:16 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
I don't think it is simply sentiment. Gagne has looked good since his arrival. He's still a very good skater and plays a solid two-way game. This team's defensive issues are deeper than its blue-line, and I see Gagne as an asset in a 3rd liner role (assuming his is paid as such).

Gagne-Couturier-Read would be a nice third line for next year.
I agree. Keeping Gagné would be a good move at the right cap hit (≤$2 mil) and in the right role (3rd line). Gagné – Couturier – Read would be an excellent 3rd line.

And I wholeheartedly agree with ticket about resigning Hall.

BernieParent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 01:24 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Good read on Straka.

http://thehockeyguys.net/petr-straka...elphia-flyers/

Speed, skill, and skating ability? Sign me up.

Old
04-12-2013, 01:27 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Good read on Straka.

http://thehockeyguys.net/petr-straka...elphia-flyers/

Speed, skill, and skating ability? Sign me up.
Hopefully a top-liner for the Phantoms next year. Straka - Flanagan - Noebels?

Old
04-12-2013, 01:58 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Hopefully a top-liner for the Phantoms next year. Straka - Flanagan - Noebels?
Yep. Don't know if he will make the Flyers, but has the ability to be a good AHL player next season.

Noebels-Flanagan-Straka (Noebels setting up infront of the net, Straka sniping with Flanagan showing off his crazy passing/vision)
Akeson-Cousins-Alderson (akeson has played wing abit this season and hasnt looked bad. Could work well with Cousins and Alderson and those two have some MAJOR chemistry)
Johnson-Holmstrom-Wellwood (All play some good defensive, and if Wellwood is alright from his injury they could be flying down the wings)
Mangene-(Some Vet)-Mathers (Mangene might take Wellwoods spot but otherwise hasnt had a bad season. Having a vet on the team is always needed and always helps with the young guns. Mathers can only really fight but I guess you need an enforcer at the AHL level)

Syvret-Alt (hoping they resign Syvret and Alt helps provide a defensive presence to Syvrets offense)
Manning-Lauridsen (Manning plays with a defensive d-man in Oliver helping him try to reignite his play)
Konan-Eddy (Konan has silently done a good job this season and Eddy provides a defensive play to Konan's offense)

Hartzell (Hopefully we have the inside track in signing him! Watching him play, the kid is pretty damn good)
Heeter (maybe they bring Monroe back but Heeter, at times his rookie season, has looked like an AHL starter)

That could be a VERY good AHL squad. This is not even adding Gustafsson and McGinn (if their on the big squad).

I was hoping they add Greg Carey but Im starting to doubt it now.

Last edited by sa cyred: 04-12-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old
04-12-2013, 03:13 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Yep. Don't know if he will make the Flyers, but has the ability to be a good AHL player next season.

Noebels-Flanagan-Straka (Noebels setting up infront of the net, Straka sniping with Flanagan showing off his crazy passing/vision)
Akeson-Cousins-Alderson (akeson has played wing abit this season and hasnt looked bad. Could work well with Cousins and Alderson and those two have some MAJOR chemistry)
Johnson-Holmstrom-Wellwood (All play some good defensive, and if Wellwood is alright from his injury they could be flying down the wings)
Mangene-(Some Vet)-Mathers (Mangene might take Wellwoods spot but otherwise hasnt had a bad season. Having a vet on the team is always needed and always helps with the young guns. Mathers can only really fight but I guess you need an enforcer at the AHL level)

Syvret-Alt (hoping they resign Syvret and Alt helps provide a defensive presence to Syvrets offense)
Manning-Lauridsen (Manning plays with a defensive d-man in Oliver helping him try to reignite his play)
Konan-Eddy (Konan has silently done a good job this season and Eddy provides a defensive play to Konan's offense)

Hartzell (Hopefully we have the inside track in signing him! Watching him play, the kid is pretty damn good)
Heeter (maybe they bring Monroe back but Heeter, at times his rookie season, has looked like an AHL starter)

That could be a VERY good AHL squad. This is not even adding Gustafsson and McGinn (if their on the big squad).

i think flanagan and others have a better shot of making the team out of camp then McGinn. i have no idea what the d will look like so i can't say about gus but if Bourdon ever gets healthy (in a recent article he said he'll be ready to go next season) i image you can through him into the mix as well (AHL not NHL)

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 03:33 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
i think flanagan and others have a better shot of making the team out of camp then McGinn. i have no idea what the d will look like so i can't say about gus but if Bourdon ever gets healthy (in a recent article he said he'll be ready to go next season) i image you can through him into the mix as well (AHL not NHL)
Hopefully, too, there will be at least 2 additions from this year's draft, including a #1 defenseman.

Old
04-12-2013, 03:46 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Hopefully, too, there will be at least 2 additions from this year's draft, including a #1 defenseman.
Well I personally don't expect whoever we draft to make the NHL team right out. Now if they drafted a guy like Lindholm or Risto, they can make the jump straight to the AHL. That MIGHT not be a bad idea if they think they are NHL ready.

Old
04-12-2013, 04:23 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Well I personally don't expect whoever we draft to make the NHL team right out. Now if they drafted a guy like Lindholm or Risto, they can make the jump straight to the AHL. That MIGHT not be a bad idea if they think they are NHL ready.
Confirming you mean straight to the AHL for players whom the Flyers believe are NHL ready.

I am of the same mind to go slowly with draftees. At least start them in the AHL. I don't have the inclination to check on age eligibility for the AHL, but those who can should be Phantoms and those who aren't can stay with their existing OHL/LHJMQ/etc. squad.

Old
04-12-2013, 04:36 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Confirming you mean straight to the AHL for players whom the Flyers believe are NHL ready.

I am of the same mind to go slowly with draftees. At least start them in the AHL. I don't have the inclination to check on age eligibility for the AHL, but those who can should be Phantoms and those who aren't can stay with their existing OHL/LHJMQ/etc. squad.
Here's for players drafted out of the CHL:
Quote:
A player that was drafted out of the Canadian Hockey League cannot play in the AHL unless he is 20 years old by December 31 of the current season or played four years in the CHL.
With the European leagues (Finnish, Swedish, etc.) I believe they can come over to play in the AHL as long as they don't have a contract for their club team for that year. If the do have a contract with that team it can be thrown out if the player makes the NHL.

With the KHL no matter what a player can't come over unless his KHL deal is up whether it be for the NHL or AHL.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 04-12-2013 at 05:07 PM.
LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 04:42 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Any videos of Straka playing?

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 07:20 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
You know, the Phantoms could have some players up front next season... Some good young talent, actually.
Quote:
Noebels-Flanagan-Straka--Cousins/Akeson-Alderson--Johnson-Holmstrom-Mangene--Mathers--add some vets. Harper/Wellwood
-Leed

I think D Leed Saw my post

Old
04-12-2013, 10:52 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
-Leed

I think D Leed Saw my post
What do you know? You're almost a member of the Philadelphia sports media. All you have to do now is ask Bryzgalov about some poorly referenced innuendo and have him yell at you, and you're in.

Old
04-12-2013, 10:55 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Here's for players drafted out of the CHL:

With the European leagues (Finnish, Swedish, etc.) I believe they can come over to play in the AHL as long as they don't have a contract for their club team for that year. If the do have a contract with that team it can be thrown out if the player makes the NHL.

With the KHL no matter what a player can't come over unless his KHL deal is up whether it be for the NHL or AHL.
Thanks, LoD; that's very helpful. I meant primarily what ages these prospects were, but this solidifies my understanding of the CHL eligibility.

Gostisbehere, for example; I think he's age-eligible to be on the Phantoms tomorrow, right? He turns 20 in 8 days.

Old
04-12-2013, 11:11 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Thanks, LoD; that's very helpful. I meant primarily what ages these prospects were, but this solidifies my understanding of the CHL eligibility.

Gostisbehere, for example; I think he's age-eligible to be on the Phantoms tomorrow, right? He turns 20 in 8 days.
The age limit for the AHL is 18 same as the NHL. The 20 year old age limit only applies to prospects drafted out of the CHL. Players drafted from the US, Russian, Fininish, Swedish etc. leagues don't have an age limit applied to them.

Gost could have played in the AHL this year as 19 year old because he was drafted out of the NCAA.

Anaheim put their 2012 1st round pick Hampus Lindholm (6th overall pick) in the AHL this year as an 18 year old. He was drafted out of the Swedish Elite League.

It's pretty uncommon for teams to do this though. Most teams would just let the prospect stay in his league he was drafted out of instead of having him burn a year off his ELC in the AHL if he's not NHL ready.

When it comes to prospects and their eligibility this is some tricky stuff because of the different leagues and different transfer agreements.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 04-12-2013 at 11:21 PM.
LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 11:17 PM
Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Any videos of Straka playing?
There's a profile from his draft year on YouTube and a couple goals, and a fight (didn't watch it).

Seems like a talented kid. Hopefully he gets his game together.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 11:22 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 580
Quote:

Looks very solid. I'm not completely sure about Noebels being the net-front presence though, not yet at least. Maybe next year is different. But what I saw this year is a filthy shot and lack of physical play for this big body. Top line could just be a snipe show.

Also, I hope Mangene grows a bit and surpasses Holmstrom on the depth chart in the offseason, because a line of Johnston-Mangene-Wellwood would be a blast to watch, and probably the fastest line in the AHL. Mangene can fly. Only problem is that none of them are really playmakers, and Mangene is a straight up puck hog.

I'm also pulling for Slater to snag 4C duties. He's a great guy on and off the ice, and he'll do whatever it takes to win.

sobrien is online now   Reply With Quote