HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What are Edmontons biggest needs?

Old
04-12-2013, 11:11 AM
Aerchon

vCash: 500
A very good question.

You hear people all the time picking on the Oilers Defense and Goaltending but personaly I think we are at least average in the league right now. We also have great potential for our blueliners to get better as both as our young D mature and it is our strongest area in terms of prospects as well.

The weakest area we have is faceoffs/centres. And in general, depth scoring.

If we were actualy trading Eberle it wouldnt be a bad idea to get 2-3 high quality bottom 6 forwards in return.

I really like these line combos for our top 6.

Hall RNH Ebs: This line has proved it can compete against the best this year and should only get better with time. Ebs IMO has clearly been the weak link this year. RNH struggles are more tied to Ebs struggles than the other way around. Too many missed golden oppurtunities from Ebs that were set up by RNH.

MP Gagner Yak: Gagner took decent strides in all areas this. Still really needs to improve on faceoffs, as does RNH. Love MP on this line because of his speed, size, and defensive awareness seems to make up for Gagner's weaknesses.

There is not a single player that has consistantly impressed me in our bottom 6. Smyth had a small stretch where he was decent but overall sucked, Horcoff was great when he first came back from injury but has been meh since and before that, Jones was my favorite bottom 6 forward on this team but has been weak this year (probably just cause of injury), Hemsky has been on and off but all too often off, Petrell has been decent but meh, Brown meh, Belanger terrible, I actualy liked Eager but his lack of physical play makes him meh, Lander terrible to meh, Harti meh (I hope he picks it up like his game but he hasnt been producing at NHL level yet).

And for anyone I forgot to mention, meh.

Where are the roles players and depth players that have huge games and win games practicaly on thier own and force you to love them???

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 11:15 AM
Aerchon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicknitty View Post
They're about even this season.

Just something about the way the boards sounded every time Tom got crushed into them behind his own end. I miss that. I mean he could take a nasty check and still come out with the puck.
I dont remember that ever happenening myself.

I just remember him getting beat in almost every one on one or 2 on one situation he has ever been in.

The guy was so mind numbingly bad in his own end.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 11:16 AM
BowDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
A very good question.

You hear people all the time picking on the Oilers Defense and Goaltending but personaly I think we are at least average in the league right now. We also have great potential for our blueliners to get better as both as our young D mature and it is our strongest area in terms of prospects as well.

The weakest area we have is faceoffs/centres. And in general, depth scoring.

If we were actualy trading Eberle it wouldnt be a bad idea to get 2-3 high quality bottom 6 forwards in return.

I really like these line combos for our top 6.

Hall RNH Ebs: This line has proved it can compete against the best this year and should only get better with time. Ebs IMO has clearly been the weak link this year. RNH struggles are more tied to Ebs struggles than the other way around. Too many missed golden oppurtunities from Ebs that were set up by RNH.

MP Gagner Yak: Gagner took decent strides in all areas this. Still really needs to improve on faceoffs, as does RNH. Love MP on this line because of his speed, size, and defensive awareness seems to make up for Gagner's weaknesses.

There is not a single player that has consistantly impressed me in our bottom 6. Smyth had a small stretch where he was decent but overall sucked, Horcoff was great when he first came back from injury but has been meh since and before that, Jones was my favorite bottom 6 forward on this team but has been weak this year (probably just cause of injury), Hemsky has been on and off but all too often off, Petrell has been decent but meh, Brown meh, Belanger terrible, I actualy liked Eager but his lack of physical play makes him meh, Lander terrible to meh, Harti meh (I hope he picks it up like his game but he hasnt been producing at NHL level yet).

And for anyone I forgot to mention, meh.

Where are the roles players and depth players that have huge games and win games practicaly on thier own and force you to love them???
This would be a disastrous trade that I hope would start riots in Edmonton... Never trade Quality for Quantity... You never win those trades... I have been an Edmonton fan for 24 years and if they made this trade I would honestly consider jumping ship...

BowDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 11:19 AM
BowDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
I dont remember that ever happenening myself.

I just remember him getting beat in almost every one on one or 2 on one situation he has ever been in.

The guy was so mind numbingly bad in his own end.
He was Edmonton's modern day version of Tom Poti...Come out from behind the net and plant a pass right on the tape of the opponent in our slot.

BowDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 11:20 AM
Six in O6

Defensive depth and more grit in our bottom six with a centre that can possibly play in the top six. I think Streit and Cullen would help round this team out. Signing a guy like Clarkson would help as well. That is obviously a very ideal shopping list.

Six in O6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 11:30 AM
Gone
Fire KLowe

1) Management, and
2) Scouting.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 11:48 AM
Psychoil

god whats wrong with u guys.....we are NOT TRADING EBERLE! A year ago u guys would of shot someone who even mentioned trading jordan eberle, and he's had 1 bad year and ur ready to trade him off?

Come on......The worst part is you would do this with hall if he had an off year next year!

Psychoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 12:25 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
A new GM.
Yup.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 01:18 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
This would be a disastrous trade that I hope would start riots in Edmonton... Never trade Quality for Quantity... You never win those trades... I have been an Edmonton fan for 24 years and if they made this trade I would honestly consider jumping ship...
I'm not at all for trading Eberle. However, I believe trading quality for quantity can work out just fine for a team given the right situation. Columbus has done a lot better after trading Nash for some pretty good depth players. I guess you can argue here that Columbus got quality depth back but nobody even comes close to Rick Nash.

On the flip side, the Rangers started to play a lot better after they traded Gaborik to Columbus for some depth too. So sometimes trading from an area of strength to plug holes can really work out for your team.

The Big Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 02:01 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
New Arena, Warm weather, hot girls
You beat me to it, but I would put fixing the potholes before the Arena.

Last edited by timekeep: 04-12-2013 at 02:06 PM.
timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 02:10 PM
Section337

The ability to score more than two goals in a majority of their games.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 02:28 PM
SometimesY

a heart, a brain and courage.

SometimesY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 02:43 PM
zeus3007*

A number one defenseman is by far our biggest need.

Next is size among our forwards.

Third is veterans who give a damn. Looking at you Smyth and Hemsky.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 02:45 PM
zeus3007*

For the record, I wouldn't be opposed to trading Eberle if it brought us the right piece. But that right piece had better be a young number one d-man.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 06:13 PM
Krigaren*

A heart.
Check the chinise underground market.

Krigaren* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 09:25 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
1) Management, and
2) Scouting.
Scouting means nothing if you don't have the right guys developing your talent in the AHL. I'm leaning towards questioning both.

And for those of you who keep talking about getting a 1st pairing d-man, consider trading Hopkins are don't consider it at all.

Phoenix would likely want Eberle, MPS and a pick for either of Yandle or OEL.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 09:35 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 217
Heart. the GM can't fix that. Hell he brought back smyth who is supposed to have the biggest heart, but the only things big about him are his wallet and ego.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 07:49 AM
HankTheTankYoLo

Hello again, i traded Eberle + 2nd 2015 for McDonaugh + 1st 2013.

I find that to be a good trade, For now Edms Defence are better atm.

HankTheTankYoLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 08:33 AM
mactforcoach

More patience from the fans, myself included. We might not look like it but I think we really did turn the corner this year as frustrating as it was. That said I agree with most posters here, we need:

Pretty much a complete third and forth line. Players with size, and grit. I never cared how much Horcoff is making I just want to see him lay one big hit as an Oiler before he goes, just one. Smyth is done, no question. Hemsky could still bring a decent return this summer, he's been replaced by at least 3 of the kids. Jones, all speed no control. Brown seems to be fading, maybe it's the koolaid they feed the rest of the team but he's becoming soft.

I don't mind Petrell and what I've seen of Smithson so far. Would like to see Lander next season on the forth line and Belanger out the door.

As for D-Men I think too many are banking on Klefboom coming in next year and making a difference. He's still going to be a rookie, don't expect too much. Wouldn't mind picking up Ryan Miller to back up Dub's for a year or two.

mactforcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 10:49 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
Seriously? If they traded Eberle for an elite checking line (LW,C and RW), you'd jump ship? I doubt Eberle would get that big of a return, TBH.

Edit:

Think about it.

Hall-Hopkins-???
MPS-Gagner-Yakupov
Elite checking line LW-Elite checking line C-Elite checking line RW
Hartikainen-Lander/Horcoff-???

Leaves us with fewer holes than what we've got right now. Horcoff has had far too many bad games. Hemsky has stayed healthy but he hasn't been as big for us as he looked at the start of the year. Belanger, Smyth and Jones have been poison. This move lets us ship out all of that garbage and instantly become a much harder team to play up against.

Last edited by thadd: 04-13-2013 at 11:03 AM.
thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 11:17 AM
canovin
Oil Dynasty

The day Oilers get a top pairing Dman will involve the 2014 1st + Gagner + Hemsky.

This year Oilers are getting their #2C in either Monahan or Barkov.

canovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 11:30 AM
molsonmuscle360

vCash: 50
On NHL 13 DO NOT trade Eberle. Trade Ryan Whitney + for Subban or someone similar. Omark and Peckham packaged together can also get you an elite piece. Trade logic is horrible in the game.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 11:39 AM
sailorjerry96

a new gm that will make good hockey trades. players that will mesh well into our bottom 9 and players that can make transition from bottom 9 or fill into top 9 role. plus Defense in general

sailorjerry96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 11:58 AM
nitz

Trade Belanger, Hemsky, jones, etc for anything you can get.

Keep smyth and Horcoff. We will need them for the alumni games in a few years.

Draft a D in the first round this year. I'm thinking either Nurse or Zadorov. Someone who towers over most other players.

nitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 12:23 PM
Seedling
Tier 7 fan (ballcap)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicknitty View Post
Can you get Tom Gilbert back and return N.Schultz?
Both guys have had bad seasons. Pass on Gilbert. Never liked the guy. Way too complacent and that is why he got traded.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote