HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-14 Flyers Overhaul

Closed Thread

Old
04-12-2013, 11:58 AM
Jack de la Hoya

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Also, why buy him out? When he's healthy, use him as trade bait for maybe like a 3rd rounder or something.
Yeah, I'm still waiting for his explanation.

I'm not sure you can get value for Mezsaros in a trade until he demonstrates that he can stay healthy, but the Flyers don't need the extra cap space for next season anyway, and he's UFA aftewards.

Last edited by Jack de la Hoya: 04-12-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old
04-12-2013, 12:01 PM
flyersfromquebec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
That's the real money. If you use an ordinary buyout, the full cap hit remains, doesn't it?
No its the buy out cap hit for 2 years. They need the extra cap for off season move 10% over...or they wll be strangle when it wil be time to offer sheet or trade...ex: couts vs yandle (5 million cap hit for flyers)

Old
04-12-2013, 12:07 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfromquebec View Post
No its the buy out cap hit for 2 years. They need the extra cap for off season move 10% over...or they wll be strangle when it wil be time to offer sheet or trade...ex: couts vs yandle (5 million cap hit for flyers)
Yeah, I was confused, but I'm still not sure I follow: We don't need the cap space this season anyway. We do need it for 2014-2015, when, under your proposal, we'd be sitting with nearly $2 million in dead space for a player no longer on the team.

Old
04-12-2013, 12:07 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Yeah, I'm still waiting for his explanation.

I'm not sure you can get value for Mezsaros in a trade until he demonstrates that he can stay healthy, but the Flyers don't need the extra cap space for next season anyway, and he's UFA at that point anyway.
He is correct. It's his buyout caphit:

http://capgeek.com/buyout-calculator/?player_id=891

Old
04-12-2013, 12:15 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
He is correct. It's his buyout caphit:

http://capgeek.com/buyout-calculator/?player_id=891
So, if I have this right...

Scenario #1: Flyers play it out with Meszaros, who takes up $4 million in cap space next year, then walks after 2013-2014 as a UFA.

Scenario #2: Flyers buyout Meszaros in June 2013, saving $3.6 million in cap space next year at the cost of losing $2 million in space for 2014-2015, when the team has a number of RFAs and UFAs to sign.

Old
04-12-2013, 12:22 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
So, if I have this right...

Scenario #1: Flyers play it out with Meszaros, who takes up $4 million in cap space next year, then walks after 2013-2014 as a UFA.

Scenario #2: Flyers buyout Meszaros in June 2013, saving $3.6 million in cap space next year at the cost of losing $2 million in space for 2014-2015, when the team has a number of RFAs and UFAs to sign.
Well you could also look at it like, Meszaros playing when healthy, for the past 2 years, has been at best a 5 or 6. I guess you can take into consideration if you want to keep a 4 mil 5-6 defender. But you are right. The only problem is the cap is going down and the team has to somehow remake it itself while not throwing a ton of money around. Buying out Briere and Bryz will help though.

Old
04-12-2013, 12:33 PM
jb**

it is a contract year for mezaros. i keep him and see how it plays out. if he is hurt ltir.

Old
04-12-2013, 01:16 PM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
This team will need a change going into next season.

-Fire Lavy
-Buy out Briere
-Sign Streit

Those are the three easy moves I would make and go from there. I like Briere more than most on here though his contract needs to go.
I like the idea of signing Streit. Always liked his game and hopefully he has a few decent years left and won't be to expensive.

Actually, I like all three of those ideas.

Old
04-12-2013, 01:44 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStraw View Post
I like the idea of signing Streit. Always liked his game and hopefully he has a few decent years left and won't be to expensive.

Actually, I like all three of those ideas.
I did too, but at 34, Streit is another Kimmo Timonen waiting to happen. I'd try and go a little younger.

Old
04-12-2013, 02:14 PM
Curufinwe

Streit is rumored to want 3 years at $5.5 million per. That's too much, IMO.

Old
04-12-2013, 03:08 PM
BillDineen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Streit is rumored to want 3 years at $5.5 million per. That's too much, IMO.
I bet he gets it. All top UFAs are going to get overpaid.

Old
04-12-2013, 03:29 PM
HeadShot

We Need A Sniper!!!

I know defense is a pressing issue and it needs to be addressed but I also think this team needs a shakeup and of it cost B Schenn or Coots its time to part with one. Having a proven sniper will pull coverage off of G and if need be to spread the playmakers around, move Jake to the second line. I'm scratching my head like everyone else but correct me if I'm wrong here

Old
04-12-2013, 03:32 PM
DumpyD

We need a lot of things.

Old
04-12-2013, 03:34 PM
HeadShot

Does anyone feel comfortable icing these lines next year?

Old
04-12-2013, 03:38 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticket View Post
it is a contract year for mezaros. i keep him and see how it plays out. if he is hurt ltir.
Agreed. Let Mez play out the year. If healthy, he's a solid guy with some offensive ability. If healthy and we aren't that great, he could net us a decent return as a rental (thinking about what Douglas Murray cost). If injured, he's on LTIR.

Next season, our cap situation is likely ok since we will have some young ELCs. The year after, we'll really need the space I think.

Old
04-12-2013, 03:45 PM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
I did too, but at 34, Streit is another Kimmo Timonen waiting to happen. I'd try and go a little younger.
He is but I would be ok with him for 3 years. But not at $5.5 million a year.

Old
04-12-2013, 03:58 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadShot View Post
I know defense is a pressing issue and it needs to be addressed but I also think this team needs a shakeup and of it cost B Schenn or Coots its time to part with one. Having a proven sniper will pull coverage off of G and if need be to spread the playmakers around, move Jake to the second line. I'm scratching my head like everyone else but correct me if I'm wrong here
Like who?

When a few of us suggested that the Flyers target Semin last year, the rest of the board revolted!

Voracek is on a 35-goal pace over an 82 game season. I'm not sure what sort of upgrade you think can be had (without giving up assets or completely hosing the cap situation). Even if he comes back down next year, I don't think it is unreasonable to expect some sort of bounce-back from Hartnell, and Schenn and Couturier should continue their development. Read is solid, as is Simmonds.

___- Giroux - Voracek
___ - Schenn - Simmonds
Gagne/Talbot - Couturier - Read

One of those holes is filled by Hartnell. Perhaps the other is filled by a UFA or a draftee, or a promoted player (Laughton?). Rearrange the lines if you want, but I don't think our personnel is the issue. It is system, execution and consistency.

Old
04-12-2013, 04:03 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Well you could also look at it like, Meszaros playing when healthy, for the past 2 years, has been at best a 5 or 6. I guess you can take into consideration if you want to keep a 4 mil 5-6 defender. But you are right. The only problem is the cap is going down and the team has to somehow remake it itself while not throwing a ton of money around. Buying out Briere and Bryz will help though.
For real?

I didn't realize the Barry Ashbee trophy went to the 5/6th defenseman

Old
04-12-2013, 04:09 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
For real?

You actually have to play to win awards. Mez has shown he can't stay healthy enough to stay in the lineup on a consistent basis the last two years. He's not bad when he's in the lineup but its a rare occurrence for that.

Just because he won a team award a couple of years ago doesn't mean he's the same player now btw. Injuries are starting to catch up to him now.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 04-12-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old
04-12-2013, 04:11 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
For real?

Yep. Absolutely. I did say LAST TWO YEARS (meaning this past and last). He won the Barry Ashbee 3 years ago. Along with him barely playing anymore cause he is made out of glass, he has posted pretty pedestrian advanced stats for playing on the 3rd pairing. That and watching him the past two seasons you can tell he hasnt been that good. OK MAYBE a #4 when he plays at his best. I know a few really like Mez here, but I think its coming on time to move on. The dude is seriously injury prone.

Old
04-12-2013, 04:17 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Yep. Absolutely. I did say LAST TWO YEARS (meaning this past and last). He won the Barry Ashbee 3 years ago. Along with him barely playing anymore cause he is made out of glass, he has posted pretty pedestrian advanced stats for playing on the 3rd pairing. That and watching him the past two seasons you can tell he hasnt been that good. OK MAYBE a #4 when he plays at his best. I know a few really like Mez here, but I think its coming on time to move on. The dude is seriously injury prone.
I don't think anyone is advocating extending him. I certainly wouldn't.

I just don't see the point in wasting a buyout on him at this point in time--compliance or othewise.

Old
04-12-2013, 04:20 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
I don't think anyone is advocating extending him. I certainly wouldn't.

I just don't see the point in wasting a buyout on him at this point in time--compliance or othewise.
With Bryz and Briere there's no way we could possibly even think about it. If we didn't have those two guys and needed cap space I wouldn't be totally against buying out Mez but that's not the case here.

Old
04-12-2013, 04:22 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Everyone seems alright with playing out Mez, but he looked absolutely atrocious when he came back from both injuries. He could be on the decline from all of these injuries.

Old
04-12-2013, 04:24 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
With Bryz and Briere there's no way we could possibly even think about it. If we didn't have those two guys and needed cap space I wouldn't be totally against buying out Mez but that's not the case here.
Eh, I dunno.

Say we could buy him out (maybe the team decides that Bryzgalov stays?).

Timonen-Schenn
Grossmann-Coburn
Gustafsson-Gervais
Huskins*

We're one injury to Timonen away from having no one capable of playing on the PP.

If Meszaros had multiple years left, it would be a different story, but it isn't clear to me that there is going to be a better value available in free agency this year, particularly not one that provides the flexibility of coming off the books in time for all the extensions in July 2014.

Old
04-12-2013, 04:27 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Eh, I dunno.

Say we could buy him out (maybe the team decides that Bryzgalov stays?).

Timonen-Schenn
Grossmann-Coburn
Gustafsson-Gervais
Huskins*

We're one injury to Timonen away from having no one capable of playing on the PP.

If Meszaros had multiple years left, it would be a different story, but it isn't clear to me that there is going to be a better value available in free agency this year, particularly not one that provides the flexibility of coming off the books in time for all the extensions in July 2014.
I'd honestly rather have Huskins as our #6 than Gervais. Huskins at least ****s up less and a bit more reliable.

Closed Thread