HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

Win-Loss-Draw Records & Judging Fighting Ability

Old
04-09-2013, 04:47 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

vCash: 500
Win-Loss-Draw Records & Judging Fighting Ability

Hey guys,

I'm not a frequent user of this part of the forum certainly. I respect fighting as a part of the game, but I'm not going to end up going bezerk at an LNAH game any time soon either...

Anyhow...I'm working on a high-level hockey simulation game. And one of the attributes (aptly named, "fighting") will have a lot of control over the wins and losses of a fight. (Temperament and aggression and others will help to determine how often a player fights).

I'm a good judge for player talent I feel...I'm not a good judge of fighting talent though. So, I want to go to the source basically.

I thought - as a rough catch-all - if there were career Win/Loss records for some of the fighters in the game today, that would help tremendously. Is that a fair estimation of a player's fighting ability? Again, just speaking in generalities...exceptions will always exist, of course.

Is there another way, that would be relatively non-invasive, to judge a player's ability to thrown down in fisticuffs?

I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of those that are really into fighting...

Thanks guys.

Mike Farkas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 05:52 PM
THE HOFF

It sounds like a hard task to me, but if you keep in mind that ''will to fight'' or agression =/= skills to fight then its going to be very realistic. Smaller players with less fighting skills can drop them more often than players who are bigger and actually have the skills to fight but don't have the agression or the drive to do it. It could be momentum based too, if a player wins a fight he's likely to drop them sooner than if he gets owned ... in any case, good luck.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 12:11 AM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
Hey guys,

I'm not a frequent user of this part of the forum certainly. I respect fighting as a part of the game, but I'm not going to end up going bezerk at an LNAH game any time soon either...

Anyhow...I'm working on a high-level hockey simulation game. And one of the attributes (aptly named, "fighting") will have a lot of control over the wins and losses of a fight. (Temperament and aggression and others will help to determine how often a player fights).

I'm a good judge for player talent I feel...I'm not a good judge of fighting talent though. So, I want to go to the source basically.

I thought - as a rough catch-all - if there were career Win/Loss records for some of the fighters in the game today, that would help tremendously. Is that a fair estimation of a player's fighting ability? Again, just speaking in generalities...exceptions will always exist, of course.

Is there another way, that would be relatively non-invasive, to judge a player's ability to thrown down in fisticuffs?

I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of those that are really into fighting...

Thanks guys.
Hockeyfights.com doesn't have career wins/losses as such (I don't think) but they do have win/loss on an individual basis for just about every video fight.

You've got a difficult task, though, since what you really need is something like quality of competition to give meaning to those wins and losses. Far as I know, that isn't tracked.

Edit: oh, try here as well

http://dropyourgloves.com/Fights/Lea...=1&Season=2013

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 12:25 AM
I Am Beat You

I find DYG more convenient for checking out a player's history, but the records are a bit sketchy. Should still be a decent guideline for guys who drop the gloves often, though.

I Am Beat You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 11:53 AM
MonsterSurge

Don't use DYG. It's easier to use (I use it), but the stats are extremely skewed. They will call anything a fight on that site and the reviews are borderline terrible.

Edit: Fighting ability is tracked by their weight class.

Heavyweight: Engelland, Orr, McLaren, Kassian, Bordeleau, Bollig, Barch, McGrattan, Parros, Labrie, Westgarth, Scott, Boulton, Carker, and more.
Light-Heavyweight: Rupp, Neil, Gleason, Harrison, and more.
Middleweight: Glass, Asham, Konopka, Clifford, Brookbank, Brown, Rinaldo, Martin, Crombeen, Moen, and more.

None of those classifications have anything to do with their actual weight. It's all about who they fight.

Last edited by MonsterSurge: 04-12-2013 at 01:43 PM.
MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 01:28 PM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSurge View Post
Don't use DYG. It's easier to use (I use it), but the stats are extremely skewed. They will call anything a fight on that site and the reviews are borderline terrible.

Edit: Fighting ability is tracked by their weight class.

Heavyweight: Engelland, Orr, McLaren, Kassian, Bordeleau, Bollig, Barch, McGrattan, Parros, Labrie, Westgarth, Scott, Boulton, Carker, and more.
Light-Heavyweight: Rupp, Neil, Gleason, Harrison, and more.
Middleweight: Glass, Asham, Konopka, Clifford, Brookbank, Brown, Rinaldo, and more.

None of those classifications have anything to do with their actual weight. It's all about who they fight.
Exactly. There are also bogus reviews on the site as well. If there are no video tapes or multiple reviews on a fight, then you can claim that a certain player got knocked out in a fight even though it never occurred.

MichiganWolverines is offline   Reply With Quote