HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anything Goes 8: Fire This Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-12-2013, 12:01 PM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuySez View Post
Weird trivia -

Black Magic Woman which is one of my all-time favorite songs. Originally written and released by Fleetwood Mac. Never knew that until recently.

CCR, John Fogarty was born in Berkley California. Didnt know they spoke cajun there.
Peter Green wrote Black Magic Woman while in Fleetwood Mac. It was a different band in its first incarnation. HUGE CCR fan, yeah, John Fogarty lived in the Bayou for a period of time, taking in the countryside and playing/studying music with local musicians.

Old
04-12-2013, 12:01 PM
Illinihockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
This. Some decades are just better than others. The late 60's/early 70's and the 90's were just better than the rest.
The 80's had tons of great bands. U2, Michael Jackson, Prince, Metallica, Guns N Roses, Queen, Iron Maiden, Run DMC, Public Enemy, NWA, AC/DC, Beastie Boys, Motley Crue, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Journey, a ton of great punk bands (Minor Threat, Dead Kennedys, Bad Brains, etc).

Old
04-12-2013, 12:02 PM
Ace Rothstein
Aces High

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
2000ish on up has been a disgrace to humanity.
Overall yes, there has been some pretty good music in the last 10 years though

Jack White is pretty awesome, he's the new Neil Young.

The Black Keys rock and Cage the Elephant is the closest band I've heard to Nirvana. The Strokes are a damn good band as well.

Old
04-12-2013, 12:04 PM
Ace Rothstein
Aces High

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
The 80's had tons of great bands. U2, Michael Jackson, Prince, Metallica, Guns N Roses, Queen, Iron Maiden, Run DMC, Public Enemy, NWA, AC/DC, Beastie Boys, Motley Crue, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Journey, a ton of great punk bands (Minor Threat, Dead Kennedys, Bad Brains, etc).
I just never really go into any of the bands from the 80's outside of the Beasties and NWA. I can't hate on MJ either.

Old
04-12-2013, 12:04 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
It's hard to call AC/DC an 80s band with six albums that came out in the mid-to-late 70s. The Bon Scott-era of AC/DC is a 70s thing. I like Brian Williams, but the good stuff came in the 70s. I am a big AC/DC guy if you can't tell.

Girls Got Rhythm and If You Want Blood are absurdly good.

Old
04-12-2013, 12:05 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Alice Cooper owns a hot dog restaurant Cooperstown in Phoenix. Big Unit Randy Johnson is co-owner.

Anthony Bourdain had an episode with Ted Nugent...

Old
04-12-2013, 12:06 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Yes and no. I can't help but feel this was always true until the digital age. 2000ish on up has been a disgrace to humanity. Still waiting for the next wave of great music.
Ya, the 2000's were really marked by the rise of hip hop. Eminem, Kanye, Jay-Z, Outkast, Justin Timberlake....bands like that. You also have had some incredible singers like Amy Winehouse and Adele as well as some pretty good indy bands like the White Stripes, Black Keyes, and the Killers. I never know where to put Green Day. They are an incredibly successful band but I always think of them as a 90's band as I preferred their Kerplunk, Dookie, Insomniac stuff but they are much better known for what they did in the 2000's.

Old
04-12-2013, 12:08 PM
digdug41982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
"Singing into a microphone and learning to play an instrument and learning to do your craft, that’s the most important thing for people to do. It’s not about being perfect, it’s not about sounding absolutely correct, it’s not about what goes on in a computer. It’s about what goes on in here [your heart] and what goes on in here [your head].” -Dave Grohl
I agree. It's why I believe that the digital age, to an extent, a fairly great one at that, has killed music as we knew it before. Bands just aren't what they used to be. It used to be all about the album and the experience, the touring, promoting the band and selling albums and therein producing an album that was supposed to be filled with songs that documented where the band was, who they were, and where they had been. It didn't have to be deep but it had to embody who they were and the music they played. These days it is all about singles, fluff. Obviously you can't say it about everybody but what is going on right now is not anything like what once was and many of us are understandably disappointed with it.

Old
04-12-2013, 12:09 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
It's hard to call AC/DC an 80s band with six albums that came out in the mid-to-late 70s. The Bon Scott-era of AC/DC is a 70s thing. I like Brian Williams, but the good stuff came in the 70s. I am a big AC/DC guy if you can't tell.

AC/DC is a tough one to call. I think most people know them from their post Back in Black stuff which came out in 80. I think you can call them a 70's and 80's band like you can call Zepplin a 60's or 70's band since their first 2 albums came out in the 60's.

Old
04-12-2013, 12:14 PM
digdug41982

Quote:
Ya, the 2000's were really marked by the rise of hip hop. Eminem, Kanye, Jay-Z, Outkast, Justin Timberlake....bands like that. You also have had some incredible singers like Amy Winehouse and Adele as well as some pretty good indy bands like the White Stripes, Black Keyes, and the Killers. I never know where to put Green Day. They are an incredibly successful band but I always think of them as a 90's band as I preferred their Kerplunk, Dookie, Insomniac stuff but they are much better known for what they did in the 2000's.
Yeah, I guess if you are really into hip hop, you loved it. But even then, and I am not a rap fan by any means but I can appreciate good rap, Notorious BIG, Tupac, etc. Even that doesn't seem the same. I suppose Eminem is to an extent. Green Day, I put in the 90's for sure, good staying power for them and still make good music for sure but yeah, the 90's saw their best albums IMO as well.

Old
04-12-2013, 12:15 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Plante blew out his vocal chords and Zepplin took a 1 year hiatus from touring before coming out with Stairway to Heaven. Never could reach the high notes again like on his first few albums.

Old
04-12-2013, 12:23 PM
digdug41982

Quote:
Alice Cooper owns a hot dog restaurant Cooperstown in Phoenix. Big Unit Randy Johnson is co-owner.
Been there before for a few beers, nice place.

Quote:
Plante blew out his vocal chords and Zepplin took a 1 year hiatus from touring before coming out with Stairway to Heaven. Never could reach the high notes again like on his first few albums.
Didn't know that, very interesting.

Here's one for you, probably will not come as a surprise:

Keith Moon was notorious for blowing up hotel toilets when the band was on the road. The band had even been banned by Hoilday Inn and a few other major chains. I recall reading John Entwhistle talking about how he had joined him on a few occasions and on one, they had put too many explosives into the toilet and as he described "That toilet was just dust on the walls when we checked out".

Old
04-12-2013, 12:27 PM
Penosity

Quote:

Brian Johnson and Cliff Williams had a baby?

Agreed on the Bon Scott era, it was better.

Old
04-12-2013, 12:28 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

vCash: 5113
Going to be another day where idiot lenders don't get docs to me until late in the day, I can feel it already....

Old
04-12-2013, 12:33 PM
digdug41982

Quote:
AC/DC is a tough one to call. I think most people know them from their post Back in Black stuff which came out in 80. I think you can call them a 70's and 80's band like you can call Zepplin a 60's or 70's band since their first 2 albums came out in the 60's.
Yeah, it is tough. I love both Bon Scott era and Brian Johnson era AC/DC. They had more success with Johnson though. I've seen them a couple times live, hell of a ****ing show. My Dad actually saw them with Bon Scott, said it was unreal as well. Favorite song is "It's a Long Way to the Top", the bag pipes make it for me.

Old
04-12-2013, 12:47 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penosity View Post
Brian Johnson and Cliff Williams had a baby?

Agreed on the Bon Scott era, it was better.
I can't believe I put the TV guy on accident.

I'll never forget watching Angus shred in the second row on the Black Ice Tour.

Old
04-12-2013, 12:49 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Yeah, it is tough. I love both Bon Scott era and Brian Johnson era AC/DC. They had more success with Johnson though. I've seen them a couple times live, hell of a ****ing show. My Dad actually saw them with Bon Scott, said it was unreal as well. Favorite song is "It's a Long Way to the Top", the bag pipes make it for me.
Damn good song. I will listen to that on the way home. I have a 15-song CD of all AC/DC with Bon Scott on vocals in my car. It's the cat's meow.

Old
04-12-2013, 01:10 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by committedindian86 View Post
I can't stand Fall Out Boy... Act all punk and they grew up in one of the richest neighborhoods in the entire Chicagoland area. Not a fan.
don't have to like them, but the music world is much more fun with them than without them
Quote:
Whatever that new Fallout Boy song is when they say "light up" something is is completely awful. That song is bad, and you should feel bad if you like it.

95 percent of music now is awful. I'm disgusted with all the crap like Gotye and dance stuff out there. Chief Keef, 2 Chainz, etc. are also complete trash.

I wish I could have lived in the good old days of Zeppelin, The Who, AC/DC, Hendrix, etc.
I don't feel bad for likeing their new songs. I have a great music taste and hear it many times during a week. I know about all the bands you listed and many more.

It's still fun stuff and feel good music.

Quote:

Best Bon Scott: The Jack
Best Brian Johnson: Back in Black - whole album

Old
04-12-2013, 01:34 PM
MTP
I Love Shinpads

Send a message via AIM to MTP
There's plenty of great music coming out nowadays, you just have to look beyond the radio.

Old
04-12-2013, 01:35 PM
Illinihockey

Fall Out Boy has the most unintelligible lyrics of any band I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvx0ncTxxL0

Old
04-12-2013, 01:36 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTP View Post
There's plenty of great music coming out nowadays, you just have to look beyond the radio.
People always tend to think what is out now sucks and everything was good before. I remember in the 90's when everyone said music sucks and now people look back fondly on it.

Old
04-12-2013, 01:37 PM
Chris Hansen
THESE LEGS ARE FRESH

Old
04-12-2013, 01:45 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
I like this kind of music since I always picture it pairing with some sort of highlight video.

Here's one I like it:

You make know it from this:

There is good music these days, but the songs that are popular are awful. You have to dig deep to find good stuff to listen to now. That sucks.

Old
04-12-2013, 01:48 PM
Cullksinikers

I hate it when you forget about a song that was awesome. However, it's cool when your are "introduced" back to it.

Great video:

I hadn't heard this in awhile:

Old
04-12-2013, 02:09 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 302
Quote:
Rent Sid and Nancy if you want an idea what real punk was. Disturbing but interesting.
I preferred late 70's/early 80's punk acts that I got into from watching Return of the Living Dead as a kid (Great soundtrack)

The Cramps
T.S.O.L
The Flesh Eaters
45 Grave
The Damned

Had the sountrack to that movies and some of these bands individual album/cassette tapes when I was younger

Always felt the Sex Pistols though not bad were overated

Closed Thread