HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

"NHL dream still alive in Connecticut"

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2013, 11:22 PM
azaloum90

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
I would like to see Harteforde come back to the NHL, but I don't really know how practical it would be. One can dream, I guess!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icedog2735 View Post
I would say yes with some minor upgrades, a la the plans for Le Colisee if a team returns to Quebec. But I would say the max is 2 years.

I feel Hartford is still a solid hockey market... I don't see why the NHL should not revisit. The other cities that have been speculated for relocation/expansion have not been attempted before... why would the NHL try a new market, when a prior market will most likely create further revenue for the league, AND cut down on travel.

Old
02-26-2013, 12:03 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Courant and Fox CT (WTIC) now reporting Whale have reached a series of Multi-Year deals....

http://www.courant.com

CRDA, The Whale and Global Spectrum have extended the contract through 2016, w/ a 2 yr option to 2018

Old
02-26-2013, 12:36 PM
azaloum90

kinda hoping they dont change the name.... I've grown to love the name "Whale", and Pucky is quite honestly my favorite mascot (just sayin).

in all seriousness, although the name is silly, it's fitting, especially given how many children go to these games, it makes it easy for them to root, and get into it

Old
02-26-2013, 12:53 PM
NHL Hartford

Paul Doyle of the Courant: "So it seems the Whale name lives. Heard MSG decides to keep the name after considering alternatives."

https://twitter.com/PaulDoyle1/statu...72679790219264

Old
04-12-2013, 08:37 AM
WildGopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by azaloum90 View Post
I feel Hartford is still a solid hockey market... I don't see why the NHL should not revisit.
Connecticut getting both NCAA finalists yesterday is just a reminder of their long tradition as a hockey state. Hopefully, the NHL returns some day.

Old
04-12-2013, 10:02 AM
Retail1LO

Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildGopher View Post
Connecticut getting both NCAA finalists yesterday is just a reminder of their long tradition as a hockey state. Hopefully, the NHL returns some day.
I think that's amazing. A state as small as Connecticut, with both representatives of the final. Hoping for a Yale upset.

Old
04-12-2013, 10:31 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 430
Yeah, is pretty cool that the championship is all Connecticut. Just a shame that the game couldn't have been in the New England area, as you know it'd be an especially energetic crowd if the ease of travel was that easy for both fanbases.

Old
04-12-2013, 01:12 PM
azaloum90

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Yeah, is pretty cool that the championship is all Connecticut. Just a shame that the game couldn't have been in the New England area, as you know it'd be an especially energetic crowd if the ease of travel was that easy for both fanbases.

Yeah, why theyre doing it in Pittsburgh is whatever... I Guess cause the Consol is relatively new

Old
04-12-2013, 01:21 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by azaloum90 View Post
Yeah, why theyre doing it in Pittsburgh is whatever... I Guess cause the Consol is relatively new
Cities/Arenas bid on the Frozen Four. It's in Philly next year, it was in Tampa the year before, St. Paul the year before, Detroit the year before, D.C. the year before and so on.

Old
04-12-2013, 01:30 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

What he said. It's like March Madness, the venues are decided well ahead of the actual teams qualifying, like two or more years ahead. The 2015 and 2016 venues should all be decided this offseason, if I remember correctly.

Old
04-12-2013, 01:33 PM
NHL Hartford

Congrats to Qu and Yale.

UConn beginning play in Hockey East in 2014.

Maybe if a new arena can be built in Hartford we'd be able to hold a Beanpot style tourny with Yale, Qu, UConn and Sacred Hart.

It also would be nice to host the Frozen Four, but it's not possible with the current state of the XL Center.

Old
04-12-2013, 01:38 PM
NHL Hartford

In a weird bit of symmetry April 13th was also the last game the Hartford Whalers ever played as a franchise. So Qu and Yale will be vying for a championship to bring home to Ct 16 years to the day the Whalers left Hartford.

Old
04-12-2013, 01:43 PM
KevFu

Hartford's chances of getting an NHL team back are limited. Pretty much their only possible option would be the relocation of the Islanders or Devils - teams that already have territorial rights in the NY market.

That's not to say it would be EASY. The AHL issue would probably be a problem. The Rangers and Islanders are making money off the area, and wouldn't want to lose fans to the other franchise.

It would be easier for them to modify their territorial rights with the Rangers and (NYI or NJD), but there'd be a fight over it.

It probably wouldn't make sense for the Islanders or Devils to move to Hartford, since their markets are better where they are now. And the Devils have a new arena, so it's going to take a couple decades for it to be a possibility.

But all those things exist with a NEW team trying to set up shop in Hartford, and they'd still have Boston to deal with. But the Islanders/Devils is the path of lesser resistance, since there's THREE teams to pay off and not FOUR.

Old
04-12-2013, 01:44 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo8192 View Post
Maybe if a new arena can be built in Hartford we'd be able to hold a Beanpot style tourny with Yale, Qu, UConn and Sacred Hart.
That's actually a good idea. So good, I'm honestly surprised that they haven't tried to make a tourney of their own along the same lines. A Nutmeg Cup, if you will.

Old
04-12-2013, 01:47 PM
NHL Hartford

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevFu View Post
Hartford's chances of getting an NHL team back are limited. Pretty much their only possible option would be the relocation of the Islanders or Devils - teams that already have territorial rights in the NY market.

That's not to say it would be EASY. The AHL issue would probably be a problem. The Rangers and Islanders are making money off the area, and wouldn't want to lose fans to the other franchise.

It would be easier for them to modify their territorial rights with the Rangers and (NYI or NJD), but there'd be a fight over it.

It probably wouldn't make sense for the Islanders or Devils to move to Hartford, since their markets are better where they are now. And the Devils have a new arena, so it's going to take a couple decades for it to be a possibility.

But all those things exist with a NEW team trying to set up shop in Hartford, and they'd still have Boston to deal with. But the Islanders/Devils is the path of lesser resistance, since there's THREE teams to pay off and not FOUR.
FYI No team let alone 4 teams hold any territorial rights over Hartford. Hartford lies 100+ miles away from Boston & NYC. Now you could argue that the Rangers/Bruins would still make a fuss (even though Jeremy Jacobs has gone on record supporting another Hartford franchise) but at the end of the day they're only 1/30 votes. The biggest barrier with Hartford is a new arena.

Old
04-12-2013, 01:50 PM
NHL Hartford

Quote:
That's actually a good idea. So good, I'm honestly surprised that they haven't tried to make a tourney of their own along the same lines. A Nutmeg Cup, if you will.
I believe that's where they're heading which would be pretty neat. By the time UConn gets the ball rolling, you could make a strong case that CT's 4 could become better than MA's 4 in time.

Last edited by NHL Hartford: 04-12-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Old
04-12-2013, 02:03 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Eh, wouldn't go that far. Quinnipiac's success is essentially just this past year, Yale, while they've made it several times as of late, is mostly decent, and UConn and Sacred Heart, unless I'm mistaken, have never even been in the national tournament. Meanwhile, BU and BC are perennial powerhouses and regular tournament contenders, Harvard has made it in more often than Yale albeit having fallen on harder times as of late, and Northeastern's ahead of UConn and Sacred Heart.

Old
04-12-2013, 02:11 PM
NHL Hartford

Quote:
Eh, wouldn't go that far. Quinnipiac's success is essentially just this past year, Yale, while they've made it several times as of late, is mostly decent, and UConn and Sacred Heart, unless I'm mistaken, have never even been in the national tournament. Meanwhile, BU and BC are perennial powerhouses and regular tournament contenders, Harvard has made it in more often than Yale albeit having fallen on harder times as of late, and Northeastern's ahead of UConn and Sacred Heart.
You're right, but in time there's no reason it couldn't happen.

Old
04-12-2013, 02:16 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Sure, but hard to overpass BU and BC in the long run. Just ridiculously deep programs. That being said, I could definitely see QU, Yale, and maybe even UConn above Northeastern and Harvard, so that counts for something.

Don't see Sacred Heart getting higher than regularly 8th out of the 8 schools you and I are discussing, though.

Old
04-12-2013, 03:49 PM
KevFu

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo8192 View Post
FYI No team let alone 4 teams hold any territorial rights over Hartford. Hartford lies 100+ miles away from Boston & NYC. Now you could argue that the Rangers/Bruins would still make a fuss (even though Jeremy Jacobs has gone on record supporting another Hartford franchise) but at the end of the day they're only 1/30 votes. The biggest barrier with Hartford is a new arena.
It's the principle of the issue though. Those four could form a mini-collalition with teams like Toronto, Buffalo, Detroit, Chicago, Montreal, Ottawa, St. Louis, Columbus and Pittsburgh.

Those teams all do not want new teams entering the areas just outside their designated markets.

It's pretty simple: "We can't stop Hartford, you can't stop Southern Ontario, you can't stop Quebec, you can't stop Milwaukee, you can't stop Kansas City and you guys can't stop new East teams bumping you to the Western Conference; But collectively, we can block all of that; force new teams to have to go to places like Seattle, Houston, Portland or Salt Lake and keep our ideal alignments/market shares intact."

Old
04-12-2013, 06:50 PM
wildthing202

Send a message via AIM to wildthing202 Send a message via Yahoo to wildthing202
Quote:
It's the principle of the issue though. Those four could form a mini-collalition with teams like Toronto, Buffalo, Detroit, Chicago, Montreal, Ottawa, St. Louis, Columbus and Pittsburgh.

Those teams all do not want new teams entering the areas just outside their designated markets.

It's pretty simple: "We can't stop Hartford, you can't stop Southern Ontario, you can't stop Quebec, you can't stop Milwaukee, you can't stop Kansas City and you guys can't stop new East teams bumping you to the Western Conference; But collectively, we can block all of that; force new teams to have to go to places like Seattle, Houston, Portland or Salt Lake and keep our ideal alignments/market shares intact."
I doubt most of those teams even care, I would say Chicago and St. Louis would heavily endorse the return of Hartford so they'd get Detroit & Columbus back. Pittsburgh wouldn't give a hoot since all they care about is being with Philly and the rest probably wouldn't care since they'd get a "divisional rival" back.

Old
04-13-2013, 12:36 PM
KevFu

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildthing202 View Post
I doubt most of those teams even care, I would say Chicago and St. Louis would heavily endorse the return of Hartford so they'd get Detroit & Columbus back. Pittsburgh wouldn't give a hoot since all they care about is being with Philly and the rest probably wouldn't care since they'd get a "divisional rival" back.
I'd think Pittsburgh would care about not getting realigned into the western conference, or a central conference, or however they decided to do it. (Let's say they added Quebec, GTA2 via expansion, and Phoenix moved to Hartford. Who's going to the West? Either GTA2 or Pittsburgh).

Old
04-13-2013, 01:27 PM
NHL Hartford

Quote:
I'd think Pittsburgh would care about not getting realigned into the western conference, or a central conference, or however they decided to do it. (Let's say they added Quebec, GTA2 via expansion, and Phoenix moved to Hartford. Who's going to the West? Either GTA2 or Pittsburgh).
Columbus goes back West.

Old
04-13-2013, 01:29 PM
NHL Hartford

Or you could place Toronto into Chicago's conference and reincarnate the Norris Division.

Old
04-13-2013, 06:34 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Still think that Detroit is more likely than Columbus to get booted back West, if only because plenty of Western teams would want them back for the road draw and they could play in the KHL and still be fine whereas being in the East might just be the shot in the arm that keeps Columbus alive.

Closed Thread