HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Adirondack Phantoms (2013-14 schedule in post #973)

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2013, 09:36 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
You take Drouin and don't look back. However I don't think we end up picking inside the top 5. I'm thinking anywhere from the 5-10 range.
Do you? Or do you offer him up to CBJ for two of their 1st rounders IF they both happen to be in the first half of the draft? I'm inclined to agree about Drouin, but two picks in this draft sounds VERY enticing.

Old
04-11-2013, 09:44 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Do you? Or do you offer him up to CBJ for two of their 1st rounders IF they both happen to be in the first half of the draft? I'm inclined to agree about Drouin, but two picks in this draft sounds VERY enticing.
LA and New York are both going to be in the playoffs so their picks are going to be in the second half of the 1st round. Columbus still has a shot at the playoffs especially with Bob in net. So I'm not really sure if they'll be in the first half of the the 1st round.

Drouin is a special talent that I wouldn't pass up if he's there when I'm picking. To me it's not worth it trading with Columbus if you have a good shot at landing Drouin.

Old
04-12-2013, 09:14 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek

is cemented...

Rinaldo - Hall - Talbot

should be cemented...

That leaves 6 open spots for the remaining forwards:

Couturier, Schenn, Simmonds, Read, (Briere), Gagne, Laughton, McGinn, Cousins, Akeson, Flanagan

11 players could legitimately compete and move around in those 6 spots next year. Lavi has a ton of options, and while Cousins, Akeson, and Flanagan may appear to be long-shots at this stage of the game, we don't know how things are going to shape up.

It'll be an interesting camp.
they dont appear to be they are longshots. no other way to classify them.

they need to let gagne walk unless he takes 1.5mm. anything above that is a mistake imo.

if they want to improve the defense some of those forwards will be moved to acquire a top end dman.

why will cmap be interesting? nto many spots to be had really.

giroux for weber!!!!

Old
04-12-2013, 09:26 AM
FlyersFan61290

Phantoms have a shot at beng respectable next season. If you think about it they'll be getting Alderson, Cousins, Flanagan, Straka and Alt next season. They'll still have Akeson who seems to be the only competent offensive player down there in addition to a full year of Noebels and McGinn as I really don't see any of these guys making the team out of camp. They already have plenty of depth guys to fill out the rest of the line-up. Who knows maybe they'll even make the playoffs. Getting Eriksson (or similar) in Net would be great too as I really don't see Heeter as anything more then an AHLer at this point. Hopefully Paul can make something happen

Old
04-12-2013, 09:35 AM
Zod
Disappointment Train

Give Murray solid personnel for a couple seasons, then bring him back up after LaviReplacement?

Old
04-12-2013, 09:40 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Hartnell should not have a cemented spot on the top line after his debocle of a season. I'm not exactly proposing he's traded, but it shouldn't be out of the question....

Old
04-12-2013, 09:45 AM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Hartnell should not have a cemented spot on the top line after his debocle of a season. I'm not exactly proposing he's traded, but it shouldn't be out of the question....
What is it, 8 points in 24 games? Terrible.

Old
04-12-2013, 09:51 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Anyone believe the flyers might sign Eric Hartzell? Couldn't hurt. Are we at 50 contracts?

Old
04-12-2013, 09:53 AM
Krishna

vCash: 50
We are at 50 contracts but he would sign a deal for next year and an ATO for this year, so we should be fine

Old
04-12-2013, 09:55 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
We are at 50 contracts but he would sign a deal for next year and an ATO for this year, so we should be fine
Ah, right. Have we been tied to him at all since since he was at camp this past summer? I haven't been keeping up with teams who are interested in him.

Old
04-12-2013, 09:59 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
He'll probably suck at the beginning of next season at which point everyone will be calling for his head, then go on to score 30. Such is the enigma that is Hartnell.

Seriously though the whole team has struggled this season beside Voracek. I'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt knowing his foot injury severely affected his play this yr. he said his one leg was greatly fatigued after not being able to use it for weeks and with games practically every other day I'm sure strengthening it was/is difficult. But I agree he shouldn't guaranteed a spot on the 1st line.

Old
04-12-2013, 11:35 AM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Quote:
LA and New York are both going to be in the playoffs so their picks are going to be in the second half of the 1st round. Columbus still has a shot at the playoffs especially with Bob in net. So I'm not really sure if they'll be in the first half of the the 1st round.

Drouin is a special talent that I wouldn't pass up if he's there when I'm picking. To me it's not worth it trading with Columbus if you have a good shot at landing Drouin.
I don't know a ton about Drouin, but would he be the ideal winger for G long term ? And could he potentially step right into the 1st line next year ?

Old
04-12-2013, 11:42 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
I don't know a ton about Drouin, but would he be the ideal winger for G long term ? And could he potentially step right into the 1st line next year ?
He might be too similar to Giroux to work well on his wing, I think.

If the Flyers somehow end up at #2 (which I don't think is possible), Mackinnon is the better pick. Convert him to wing.

Mackinnon-Giroux-Voracek

Old
04-12-2013, 11:44 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Drouin is a top line talent, no doubt, but he's a similar player to Giroux in the sense that he needs the puck on his stick to play at the highest capabilities that his game lends itself to.

I don't know that he'd be the ideal winger for a guy like Giroux, but regardless, if he were there wherever you were picking (and theoretically jones and mackinnon were off the board) you pick him no questions asked. He's an elite talent.

I think more of a better suited winger for a player like Giroux would be a guy who can make space for himself and G, and get himself open for chances around the net as well as one timers. He would need to be big, somewhat gritty and have a nasty shot.

Think someone like Corey Perry, Bobby Ryan, James Neal etc.

I know I'm going to start sounding like a broken record here soon, but I really think a guy like Anthony Mantha could develop into an ideal winger for Giroux. Would love if the flyers picked him, especially if we have multiple firsts and can pick a defenseman as well.

Old
04-12-2013, 11:46 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
I think more of a better suited winger for a player like Giroux would be a guy who can make space for himself and G, and get himself open for chances around the net as well as one timers. He would need to be big, somewhat gritty and have a nasty shot.

Think someone like Corey Perry, Bobby Ryan, James Neal etc.

I know I'm going to start sounding like a broken record here soon, but I really think a guy like Anthony Mantha could develop into an ideal winger for Giroux. Would love if the flyers picked him, especially if we have multiple firsts and can pick a defenseman as well.
From what I've read, Mantha is sort of a big finesse player, right? More JVR than Perry or Ryan or Neal?

Old
04-12-2013, 11:50 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
From what I've read, Mantha is sort of a big finesse player, right? More JVR than Perry or Ryan or Neal?
I don't see any resemblance of JVR in mantha, beside the fact that he's big and fast.

Mantha is MUCH more physical than JVR. He hits and isn't afraid to get into the rough stuff and will drop his gloves at the drop of a hat to defend teammates. He's more similar to bobby Ryan than jvr. His offensive game actually reminds me a lot of Jeff Carter's, but again, he's more physical than carter.

He scores a lot of goals from the circle on the PP.

The knock against mantha at this point is some people say that he tends to 'float' a bit away from the play and needs someone feeding him the puck, but I don't think that would be an issue with a center like Giroux. His defensive awareness could also use SOME work, but he's far from bad in that area.

He has a lot of natural talent and has one hell of a shot, which are two things that tend to work to a players advantage when making the jump to the nhl.

Old
04-12-2013, 11:53 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
He might be too similar to Giroux to work well on his wing, I think.

If the Flyers somehow end up at #2 (which I don't think is possible), Mackinnon is the better pick. Convert him to wing.

Mackinnon-Giroux-Voracek
True, because it never works well to have two near-identical star forwards on the same line.

Old
04-12-2013, 11:54 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
True, because it never works well to have two near-identical star forwards on the same line.

Old
04-12-2013, 12:57 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
What if we are 3rd pick and Drouin is available. You have to take him, then I guess go trade route for Rundblad type ?
Depends on who was 1 and 2, or should I just say who was number 2. Unless we get lucky, I think we will be picking around the 6 to 10 range. The Flyers really need to nail this pick but it would be hard to screw it up with all the talent in this deep draft. And if they do a trade, I hope it is for a young player who can make the team, not a nomad who always has his suitcase packed. Anyway, the way this season has unfolded. The draft and offseason moves are all we have to look forward to.

Old
04-12-2013, 01:09 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Cousins, Laughton, and Alt will be playing tonight for the Phantoms.

Old
04-12-2013, 01:43 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Cousins, Laughton, and Alt will be playing tonight for the Phantoms.
good to here. alderson is already there too

Old
04-12-2013, 01:56 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
good to here. alderson is already there too
According to twitter, Cousins was moved up a line and now Alderson and Cousins will play on the 3rd line (or 2nd) together.

Old
04-12-2013, 02:43 PM
jabba2
Just say no to Clowe

Quote:
You take Drouin and don't look back. However I don't think we end up picking inside the top 5. I'm thinking anywhere from the 5-10 range.
Right now they are #5 with alot of teams in the #6-10 range only a few points ahead of Philadelphia in the standings. A hot streak could push Philly to #12 or #13 in the draft. A cold streak could possibly get Philly to #3 but it would have to be pretty darn cold.

Old
04-12-2013, 02:49 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba2 View Post
Right now they are #5 with alot of teams in the #6-10 range only a few points ahead of Philadelphia in the standings. A hot streak could push Philly to #12 or #13 in the draft. A cold streak could possibly get Philly to #3 but it would have to be pretty darn cold.
The way they're playing right now I think somewhere inside the 5-10 range is very possible. The Canes are really the only team around us that are really taking a nose dive. Everyone else is pretty inconsistent with winning and losing games.

Old
04-12-2013, 03:38 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticket View Post
they dont appear to be they are longshots. no other way to classify them.

they need to let gagne walk unless he takes 1.5mm. anything above that is a mistake imo.

if they want to improve the defense some of those forwards will be moved to acquire a top end dman.

why will cmap be interesting? nto many spots to be had really.

giroux for weber!!!!
Come on...seriously man?

I could see Gagne getting signed around 1.75-2.00.

As for Laughton, McGinn, Flanagan, Cousins, and Akeson...I can't see any world where they're not given a legitimate shot.

If we do retain Gagne though...

Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
Simmonds - Schenn - Read
Gagne - Couturier - Laughton/McGinn/Flanagan/Cousins/Akeson
Rinaldo - Hall - Talbot

They're all battling for what appears to be one roster slot. Two obviously if Gagne is not retained.

Where Hall is concerned, I think we sign him because we don't readily know the kind of player Holmstrom will be going through the offseason.

Of course, if we draft a forward like Drouin, all bets are off. You could see guys like Read and Hartnell traded fairly easily for defensive upgrades. You could see Gagne allowed to walk.

McGinn/(Hartnell) - Giroux - Voracek
Simmonds - Schenn - Drouin/(1st round pick)
Laughton/(Read) - Couturier - Flanagan/Cousins/Akeson/(Gagne)
Rinaldo - Hall/Holmstrom - Talbot
Rosehill (who we might sign to be the new Shelley)

Timonen - Schenn
(Hartnell trade PMD) - Coburn
(Read trade PMD) - Grossmann
(Gustafsson)

Bryzgalov
Mason

It's going to be an interesting offseason regardless of where we draft, but I can promise it's going to be an interesting camp as well.

We have a metric-****ton of options at forward. Someone is going to be used to get a defenseman.

Also, I would be EXTREMELY pleased if we signed Joacim Eriksson and shuffled him into the lineup splitting time with Mason as a back-up for Bryz. If it's true that he wants a shot at the NHL, then I say we have every reason to give him that shot.

Closed Thread