HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

4/11/13 - 7:30PM EDT - Pittsburgh vs Tampa Bay

Old
04-12-2013, 02:16 PM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
Don't take this personal as it isn't but...

What are you all expecting from this team right now?

The effort certainly wasn't the worst we've had, but frankly we're just outclassed with a thin lineup at the moment. We've lost our best defender in Hedman, his replacement (Barberio) has mostly been awful so far. Brewer is taking top four minutes and playing like a 5-6. Salo can only do so much. Carle needs someone in the lineup to protect him when he roams.

We sent Palat back down, who was our best possession guy. We put Bugsy back in the lineup (which, wave to him while you can cause i'm sure hes done here) and sat Tyrell, Pouliot, Pyatt. Its very obvious at this point in the year this is a very glorified audition for next season - Cooper is going to see what he has and cut the rest of the **** out of this team, no more dead weight, no more "lets hold on to him, we have nobody to replace his size", no more excuses. This is why the Paniks, Connollys, Barberios are in the lineup.

I get you guys want to win now, and trust me, I do too. I hate watching this team lose. BUT, we're finally headed in a direction with purpose. We have a prospect pool, we have talent moving up to the big club for the first time EVER. We've never had this. We've got a solid fourth line. We have a top pairing defender developing into a number one. We have a great scorer (that admittedly doesn't play defense), and there are a few guys that have gotten paid and laid down at various points in the season (26 - completely unacceptable, 16, 12 - lazy, inconsistent, always "hurt") and that **** isn't going to fly anymore.

Cooper with a full training camp and a few targeted offseason acquisitions can really put this team back on track. There better be a nice, long, busy, workout-filled offseason for Ondrej Palat because he won't be seeing Syracuse ever again after this summer. Purcell better get his **** straight and learn to backcheck with Stamkos or the both of them are going to be in a world of hurt.

The playoffs were simply a "if you lay down you'll be bought out" warning to the rest of the team. Either you want the 8 seed, or you want the 14 seed. You know it, I know it, Steve knows it, Coop knows it. Notice how Bugsy is skating harder these last two games than we've seen over the last three years? Hes ****ing flying, because he knows his end is near.
great post, though I haven't find Barberio to be awful.

Vasilevskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 03:26 PM
oNLy1cube

Little off topic but any word on Hedman, did he practice today? and is there a chance he plays both games on the weekend?

oNLy1cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 03:35 PM
MattM92

I was expecting the veterans on this team to show the kids how it's done in this league. Guys like Marty, Malone, Purcell, Stamkos, and Brewer were all expected to help the kids transition and show the kids how to play an NHL game. Instead we're seeing it the other way around. We're seeing the kids coming in here and flying up and down the ice, playing physical games, working a successful PP that puts pressure on the opponent's PK, establishing forechecks and backchecks. And the veteran guys (I know that Stamkos is only 23 but he's been in the league for 5 years, been on a long playoff run, been in the spotlight, been successful, he knows what it takes) have played like absolute dog **** for most of the year. It's unacceptable. I completely understand that when Yzerman took over it was going to be a process of developing a farm and slowly infusing homegrown talent into the NHL roster. Teams don't do that in 2 or 3 years, it takes at least 5 or 6 before you start to become competitive. But when a team starts to bring up the talent from the farm (like we are now), we need the veterans to show the kids how it's done. If the kids started to play like our veterans are right now, we would be below Florida most likely. So my problem isn't that we are icing half an AHL team right now, it's that the veterans have dropped the ball and have become lazy and complacent.

MattM92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 03:36 PM
MattM92

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspal86 View Post
Little off topic but any word on Hedman, did he practice today? and is there a chance he plays both games on the weekend?
Heard that he's probably in Saturday but no confirmation yet

MattM92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 04:50 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasespace View Post
This. The kids are getting time to show what they can do, and for the most part, impressing.

I do agree that Malone will most likely be gone, the only reason I can think of him being in the line-up over Pouliot is to try and show him off to teams for the summer in hopes of moving him instead of buying him out.
He has size and hands, someone will always try to make him work.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 05:24 PM
ThunderRoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stammertime91 View Post
Oh, I agree. 100%, he uses his body to protect the puck, wins draws, fights scores, knows when to make that big play, but he's often injured, whether he misses games or not, you can tell he's playing through an injury which is hurting his play. At that price, we dont need him. Sorry to say that, it pains me too, but we really dont need a guy getting paid that much!...just to get injured and then provide 40-50pts a year. Sure if he played 70 games or more but c'mon, you cant tell, and yeah I recall hearing the extra padding on the skates and gloves to prevent injuries but its a common thing for him to go down. I'd love to keep him for a lower price. I just feel that for the future of the team, the best thing for this BUSINESS, this TEAM, is to trade him or let him go. He'll probably get a pass year after year and remain here the duration of his career but I for one am tired of his injuries and his limp(limp as in he cant play 100%) play each year. At this point, I'd consider him in the column of dead weight. He'll always be one of my favorites, regardless of whatever happens with him.
Fair enough, but will disagree.

The types of injuries he has had the past few years are from being in the wrong place at the wrong time. These injuries could happen to anyone - including a guy Tampa signed to replace him, which for a 2nd line C would be anywhere from 4 to 6M. Point is the team can't really do a meaningful risk analysis and determine the likelihood of Lecavalier being injured X number of games, unless someone thinks he has some curse against him and a dark cloud over his head following him around. It would be different if he had, for example, the same reoccurring knee injury or a history of concussions.

He still brings plenty to this team, on and off the ice, which is needed from a business standpoint. I wish he was paid less, and honestly he seems like the type of guy that would restructure his contract to help this team out if the NHL allowed such a thing.

ThunderRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 06:38 PM
sbears
#goboltsgobears

Send a message via AIM to sbears
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM92 View Post
I was expecting the veterans on this team to show the kids how it's done in this league. Guys like Marty, Malone, Purcell, Stamkos, and Brewer were all expected to help the kids transition and show the kids how to play an NHL game. Instead we're seeing it the other way around. We're seeing the kids coming in here and flying up and down the ice, playing physical games, working a successful PP that puts pressure on the opponent's PK, establishing forechecks and backchecks. And the veteran guys (I know that Stamkos is only 23 but he's been in the league for 5 years, been on a long playoff run, been in the spotlight, been successful, he knows what it takes) have played like absolute dog **** for most of the year. It's unacceptable. I completely understand that when Yzerman took over it was going to be a process of developing a farm and slowly infusing homegrown talent into the NHL roster. Teams don't do that in 2 or 3 years, it takes at least 5 or 6 before you start to become competitive. But when a team starts to bring up the talent from the farm (like we are now), we need the veterans to show the kids how it's done. If the kids started to play like our veterans are right now, we would be below Florida most likely. So my problem isn't that we are icing half an AHL team right now, it's that the veterans have dropped the ball and have become lazy and complacent.
This is so true and made me lol. I mean it's pretty sad if you really think about it but on the other hand I keep seeing it over and over every game, and seeing you write it out like that - lol. Veterans, step up to the plate, would ya? Follow what the kids are doing.

sbears is offline   Reply With Quote