HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Eberle or Yak - Which one do you trade?

View Poll Results: Who would you trade Eberle or Yak?
Trade Eberle 156 82.54%
Trade Yak 33 17.46%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-12-2013, 11:38 AM
  #101
ithxan
Registered User
 
ithxan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 263
vCash: 50
Guys, **** all that noise. And you doubters are dead wrong. Hall, Ebs, Nooge, Yak and Schultzy are keepers long term. Hemmer is prime, and Gags is legit. Horcof is a legit solid 3rd L C (overpaid but we all know that so ****) and Jones is an amazing character guy who busts his ass, bleeds C&B and chips in here and there (not to mention the PK work he does).

Chill. 2013 is not our year.

Chill. 2013 is NOT our year.

Look at yourselves. As fans.

We need some D. Re-habby-boozin is just fine for his last year in Edmonton in my books. Stick with Dooby. Kids will only get better.

Get off the haterade. HF Oil is a joke. Seriously.

ithxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 11:51 AM
  #102
Koto
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
Neither. If you did have to trade one, you would want it to 3-4 years down the road where you have a better idea of what each player is going to look like.

Trading one of them now is an idiotic idea, unless it is for a equally talented and just as high potential player. i.e. OEL, Petro, and such forth.

Each of these players have the potential to be a top ten scorer in the league, Eberle was close last year. So you want a defense man that is in the same boat in terms of D man ranking
This is the problem i see, you are comparing eberle a very good, 1st line winger with defencemen who have established themselves as trued #1D, young players who look like they will win a norris in their career.

Anything is possible, but i don't ever see Eberle winning a Art Ross/Rocket.

IMO Eberle being a #1W is equal to a #2D (same age, whereas a franchise winger/1C like RNH/Hall might get you in the conversation about a #1D), you need to aim a little lower in the Larsson/Bogosian/McDonagh/Kulikov range. These players fill our needs much better than one of our redundant, small&skilled forwards (ESPECIALLY on RW).

It's funny last summer some people were throwing around OEL as a possibility, but most objected "not good enough," well now, he's flat-out untouchable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithxan View Post
Guys, **** all that noise. And you doubters are dead wrong. Hall, Ebs, Nooge, Yak and Schultzy are keepers long term. Hemmer is prime, and Gags is legit. Horcof is a legit solid 3rd L C (overpaid but we all know that so ****) and Jones is an amazing character guy who busts his ass, bleeds C&B and chips in here and there (not to mention the PK work he does).

Chill. 2013 is not our year.

Chill. 2013 is NOT our year.

Look at yourselves. As fans.

We need some D. Re-habby-boozin is just fine for his last year in Edmonton in my books. Stick with Dooby. Kids will only get better.

Get off the haterade. HF Oil is a joke. Seriously.
2013 didn't need to be our year to win the cup, but we should have made the playoffs, we are now in a group with ATL, CBJ, NYI as the only 4 teams since 2000 to pick 1st overall and miss the playoffs in the next 3 seasons.

That's some great company.

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 11:56 AM
  #103
timekeep
Registered User
 
timekeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,311
vCash: 500
Easy, trade Eberle way before you trade Yaks. Yaks or Hall will be the best player on the Oilers for sometime. Eberle has the most value to the rest the NHL other than Yaks or Hall.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 12:07 PM
  #104
Dabomb
Registered User
 
Dabomb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,575
vCash: 500
I agree that Yakupov probably has a higher ceiling than Eberle.. but trading away Eberle would be devasting to Hall knowing how close they are. Gotta keep Hall happy. Only way I'm dealing Eberle is if its for a top 2 dman or a great top line player with some size.

Dabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 12:08 PM
  #105
BlueChip01
Registered User
 
BlueChip01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 500
Neither. The first guy I get out of here as fast as I can is Hemmer. 1/2 useless player that is overpaid on top.

BlueChip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 12:29 PM
  #106
Koto
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChip01 View Post
Neither. The first guy I get out of here as fast as I can is Hemmer. 1/2 useless player that is overpaid on top.
hemsky+#2D>>>>>>>>>>>>>>eberle+2nd round pick.

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 12:30 PM
  #107
Koto
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
I agree that Yakupov probably has a higher ceiling than Eberle.. but trading away Eberle would be devasting to Hall knowing how close they are. Gotta keep Hall happy. Only way I'm dealing Eberle is if its for a top 2 dman or a great top line player with some size.
so hall will love to be here even if we lose forever.



but trade eberle....that makes him unhappy?

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 12:38 PM
  #108
raab
Where's the Heart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,565
vCash: 580
Neither trade RNH, will bring back a huge amount. Get a half decent center like Bozak to play between Hall and Eberle. And no matter who plays between them they'll put up points.

raab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 12:43 PM
  #109
Koto
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,253
vCash: 500
one of the major downsides to our series of 1st overalls is that we couldn't grab multiple 1Cs and build from the middle out...so the solution is rely on less ability at C, and do our best to emulate CGY/CBJ/WSH?

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 12:43 PM
  #110
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater
 
KarmaPolice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In Limbo
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,129
vCash: 999
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
If I HAD to, it would be Eberle every day of the week, and twice on Thursdays. He's my favorite Oiler, but I have to be objective about it, and what is best for the franchise. Yak clearly has a much higher ceiling--a potential 40-50 goal scorer; I don't think Eberle has that potential (but I could be wrong).

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 01:00 PM
  #111
CupofOil
Fire Lowe
 
CupofOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rock Bottom
Country: United States
Posts: 13,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Neither trade RNH, will bring back a huge amount. Get a half decent center like Bozak to play between Hall and Eberle. And no matter who plays between them they'll put up points.
Ok, with this post, HFOil has officially lost its mind.
I understand that the team has disappointed and i'm disappointed as well but between the ten million doomsday threads on the 1st page and the trade this core player and trade that core player stuff, this one takes the cake.
So trade RNH (who you seem to be giving up on for some reason) and replace him with BOZAK???
Seriously, what made you come to this ridiculous conclusion?

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 01:03 PM
  #112
CorpseFX
Registered User
 
CorpseFX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Milwaukee
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 7,645
vCash: 872
when its all said and done, the management will get rid of Yak in the long run so the "good canadian boys" can hang out and get depressed together. flashy Russians = frowned upon by exogenous xenophobia (Aka Non-EDM fans).

i called this from the start.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 01:08 PM
  #113
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,219
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
when its all said and done, the management will get rid of Yak in the long run so the "good canadian boys" can hang out and get depressed together. flashy Russians = frowned upon by exogenous xenophobia (Aka Non-EDM fans).

i called this from the start.
Yakupov does make the most the sense to move. He may turn out better than any of them but Hall, RNH, and Eberle are all good friends already and Hall and Eberle have signed long term contracts. Not that I necessarily agree with moving Yakupov instead of Eberle, he's just the odd man out. Although, he could turn out just too good, too talented to move.

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 01:15 PM
  #114
raab
Where's the Heart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,565
vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Ok, with this post, HFOil has officially lost its mind.
I understand that the team has disappointed and i'm disappointed as well but between the ten million doomsday threads on the 1st page and the trade this core player and trade that core player stuff, this one takes the cake.
So trade RNH (who you seem to be giving up on for some reason) and replace him with BOZAK???
Seriously, what made you come to this ridiculous conclusion?
Well he could bring back arguably more then Eberle or Yakupov. And there are a ton of models where you can get by without an elite center(which I'm not convinced RNH is yet) and two great wingers. Van did it with Bertuzzi-Morrison-Naslund, New Jersey still does it(arguably the best managed team after Detroit), Boston won the cup with Krejci and Bergeron as there top 2 centers. Edmonton was within one win with Horcoff as it's number 1 center. IMO having good center depth and a well balanced team is more important then one Elite center.

raab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 01:18 PM
  #115
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...
 
stratedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,205
vCash: 50
I used to think that Yak was far and away the better player because he actually had some level of grit, and he'd be more akin to a player like Hall and Messier, than Eberle who is in the same grouping as RNH and Gretzky (all skill no grit -- if he's not scoring he's useless).

After the game against Phoenix, I'm really not sure, because he was super-duper soft. Flying right past his man on the fore check while merely waving his stick at the guy, often while the defenseman just stood still and watched him pass. It was ugly. Now I worry this team chock full of softies might be rubbing off on him.


Last edited by stratedge: 04-12-2013 at 01:24 PM.
stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 01:23 PM
  #116
CupofOil
Fire Lowe
 
CupofOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rock Bottom
Country: United States
Posts: 13,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Well he could bring back arguably more then Eberle or Yakupov. And there are a ton of models where you can get by without an elite center(which I'm not convinced RNH is yet) and two great wingers. Van did it with Bertuzzi-Morrison-Naslund, New Jersey still does it(arguably the best managed team after Detroit), Boston won the cup with Krejci and Bergeron as there top 2 centers. Edmonton was within one win with Horcoff as it's number 1 center. IMO having good center depth and a well balanced team is more important then one Elite center.
Which model can you get away with not having a top center?
Maybe the Bruins to an extent but that team is built entirely differently than the Oilers otherwise, every single Cup winner/contender in the last decade has had a high end center.
So you want to roll with Bozak and Gagner as the 1-2 punch going forward?
Why does RNH need to be traded at all? I don't see the logic here.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 01:29 PM
  #117
timekeep
Registered User
 
timekeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,311
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post
I used to think that Yak was far and away the better player because he actually had some level of grit, and he'd be more akin to a player like Hall and Messier, than Eberle who is in the same grouping as RNH and Gretzky (all skill no grit -- if he's not scoring he's useless).

After the game against Phoenix, I'm really not sure, because he was super-duper soft. Flying right past his man on the fore check while merely waving his stick at the guy, often while the defenseman just stood still and watched him pass. It was ugly. Now I worry this team chock full of softies might be rubbing off on him.
Playing too much with Horcoff and Smyth

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 02:06 PM
  #118
DK28
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 87
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
Not that desperate yet. Dont want to go there till at least this time next year. For now, hemsky, gagner, 2 first round picks, and even klefbom. But neither ebs or Yak.
It is not about desperation IMO. It is about putting the necessary pieces in place and adding the skill sets that complement your strengths with the goal of building a Stanley Cup contending and ultimately winning team. The players are what they are, smaller highly skilled forwards whose game is never going to have a large physical dimension. That will not change.

If trading Eberle or Yakapov brings back a true power forward who adds offensive and creates room and a physical presence I think I make that move.

But you are right there are other assets like the first round picks and others prospects. Hemsky and Gagner will not be enough. Not sure that would be enough though to get that player.


Last edited by DK28: 04-12-2013 at 02:11 PM.
DK28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 03:36 PM
  #119
raab
Where's the Heart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,565
vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Which model can you get away with not having a top center?
Maybe the Bruins to an extent but that team is built entirely differently than the Oilers otherwise, every single Cup winner/contender in the last decade has had a high end center.
So you want to roll with Bozak and Gagner as the 1-2 punch going forward?
Why does RNH need to be traded at all? I don't see the logic here.
As I said New Jersey still does it and has won 3 cups doing it and went to the finals last year. Anaheim had Andy Macdonald as their first line center when they won the cup. Yes most teams have a elite center but usually they don't have as good of wingers as Hall and Eberle. The biggest thing you need is center depth. If we can get a guy who usually puts up around 40 points is big and strong and can win face offs and play defensively I think we'd be closer to a cup in the next 5 years then waiting for RNH to develop. If we could move RNH+N.Schultz for Berglund and Shattenkirk would you do it? Berglund is the type of center i'd like to see centering Hall and Eberle.

raab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 03:39 PM
  #120
rockinghockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,206
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sTyLnK View Post
Neither. Eberle is too valuable to the team and Yakupov, well it's only his rookie year and he's doing just fine. If anything, out of the kids, it's Hopkins that I'd trade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lay Z Boy GM View Post
If I had to I'd rather deal Eberle. Yakupov is crazy intense, works hard, and is better than Eberle was at the same age. I'm also not crazy about Eberle's contract, I think he'll live up to it but if he ends up being an inconsistent player then that contract will haunt us.

Preferably we keep both, because I think they're both fantastic young players. But if I had to, Eberle would go before Yak.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njoy Oilers View Post
All the koolaid drinkers on here who think the current roster(top six) will bring Oilers closer to a contender are just fooling themselves. I love the skill set each of the young guys brings. But as a whole, they will NEVER be able to compete against the bigger/average teams. Physicality will beat out talent 10-1 every time. Tambo has proven that he is nothing but an average GM, when it comes to building a winner. I will continue to support this team, but would happily give up Ebs for a #1/2 Dman or big centre moving forward.

Ederle to the Blues for Stewart. Or
Eberle+ to Yotes for Yandle

You all know this would work! ��
People complain that our top 6 is too small but yet they want to keep Eberle and Yak. We can't have both of them in the top 6 as we need more size. If you want to improve the defense then you have to give to get.

If I am trading Eberle it is for a dman that is not one dimensional. I would go after a player like McDonnagh.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 03:52 PM
  #121
rockinghockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,206
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimeoilfan View Post
Changes have to be made to the composition of the Oilers, but I don't think we will see Eberle or Yakupov traded... Hemsky and Gagner though, I could see traded for some top 6 physicality. And a Center with the attributes Gagner lacks (hopefully Monahan) drafted. I will use Lucic as an example (because, as unlikely as I know it is, I would love to see Lucic an Oiler).

Lucic Nugent-Hopkins Eberle
Hall Monahan Yakupov
Paajarvi Horcoff Hartikainen
Brown Smithson/Lander Jones

Lucic - or a player like him - makes room out on the ice for Eberle and Nugent-Hopkins to play their game, plus Lucic would be a damn near perfect bodyguard. Hall and Yakupov would likely give the opposition fits, and both bring a measure of grit. Monahan is physical, and playing with Hall and Yakupov would take some of the pressure and focus off of him. The third line is fairly big, and capable. And that would be the best fourth line the Oilers iced in a long time.

Will it happen, likely not... but it is a more balanced team, one where size would no longer be an issue.

If I had to choose between Eberle or Yakupov, Eberle would be traded.
What assets are you using to trade for Lucic because I don't see Gagner and Hemsky as getting it done.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 03:57 PM
  #122
Distinct
Registered User
 
Distinct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ithxan View Post
Guys, **** all that noise. And you doubters are dead wrong. Hall, Ebs, Nooge, Yak and Schultzy are keepers long term. Hemmer is prime, and Gags is legit. Horcof is a legit solid 3rd L C (overpaid but we all know that so ****) and Jones is an amazing character guy who busts his ass, bleeds C&B and chips in here and there (not to mention the PK work he does).

Chill. 2013 is not our year.

Chill. 2013 is NOT our year.

Look at yourselves. As fans.

We need some D. Re-habby-boozin is just fine for his last year in Edmonton in my books. Stick with Dooby. Kids will only get better.

Get off the haterade. HF Oil is a joke. Seriously.
If the rest of us are on the haterade, I'd advise you to get off the kool-aid that this organization is selling.

Distinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 04:42 PM
  #123
OilDrop37
Registered User
 
OilDrop37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Up North
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,858
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
It's not me sir, read the trade thread and past trade threads. You'll see what I mean.
Thank god you clarified that, I was starting to worry about you...lol

OilDrop37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 04:47 PM
  #124
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 23,990
vCash: 406
I said Eberle, but I'm in no rush to move any of the big 5. The time to move those is when we realize we can't make that next step with the roster we ice. You first look at adding free players or guys on cheap trade, that doesn't work you look at moving your second tier assets.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 04:52 PM
  #125
Soundwave
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 23,881
vCash: 500
Yes, because a team that struggles to score should look at dealing their one of their two top goal scoring forwards, lol to fill short term needs. Eberle who has been probably the best forward for the Oilers the last two full seasons is suddenly out of favor because of a sluggish 30 game stretch, lol.

Give your head a shake. The "untouchable" Taylor Hall has one whopping more goal than Eberle this season.

There's nothing special about a forward group of Hall + RNH + Yakupov. That's one freaking line and then what? Gagner? Who's that supposed to scare? The Canucks? Penguins? Blackhawks?

If the Flames land MacKinnon and McDavid in their rebuild, they would probably end up being better in half the time.

The Oilers need to be patient with the talent they have, making panic moves is the worst thing you can do.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.