HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

prospects who make it or don't

Old
04-12-2013, 11:39 AM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

vCash: 50
There are a few for me. Scott Jackson, the dude we traded for Bacashihua, Schwarz, Steve Wagner, Cajanek was also a key one for me. We basically said screw it and threw away a 35-45 point player in Petr.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 12:43 PM
nicholas89alex

vCash: 333
It depends on if your asking if they never did anything for us or if they were just not as good as expected. if its the first it has to Marek Schwarz, so much hype and just never figured it out. if its the second then how bout the only number 1 pick in blues history? Eric Johnson, he was a decent player but never was what we thought we were getting at the draft. at least he brought us a few decent pieces back

nicholas89alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 02:58 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

vCash: 500
I remember thinking Juha-Matti Aaltonen was going to be a huge steal

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 04:39 PM
kimzey59

Nikolai Lemtyugov

Thought he had the skill to be a decent mid-level sniper at the NHL(Vrbata type), but he was never willing to stick it out in Peoria to earn his shot.

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 04:58 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

vCash: 1075
Simone Gamache was one too. Scored in his first game as a blue but then fell off.

Daley Tarasenkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 05:28 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Ritchey View Post
There are a few for me. Scott Jackson, the dude we traded for Bacashihua, Schwarz, Steve Wagner, Cajanek was also a key one for me. We basically said screw it and threw away a 35-45 point player in Petr.
Shawn Belle.

I remember watching him and he was the very epitome of the phrase "All the tools...and no tool box".

Multimoodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 05:39 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

vCash: 600
I was sure Nagy was going to turn Demitra in to a better than PPG player.

Seriously I thought this line:

Demitra-Handzus-Nagy

Was going to carry the Blues to the promised land.

Courtnall-Turgeon-Young
Demitra-Handzus-Nagy
Richer-Reasoner-Hecht

Especially after they signed Hill to give the defense that extra snarl they were missing.

Ah well...

Multimoodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 09:58 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
Nikolai Lemtyugov

Thought he had the skill to be a decent mid-level sniper at the NHL(Vrbata type), but he was never willing to stick it out in Peoria to earn his shot.
See, I disagree. Nikolai was one of the best Rivermen players in 08-09 and the Blues called up it seemed everyone but him. Steve Regier, Cam Paddock, Trent Whitfield and David Koci all seen ice time while Lemtygov deserved a chance. That was on management in my opinion

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 10:02 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

Quote:
See, I disagree. Nikolai was one of the best Rivermen players in 08-09 and the Blues called up it seemed everyone but him. Steve Regier, Cam Paddock, Trent Whitfield and David Koci all seen ice time while Lemtygov deserved a chance. That was on management in my opinion
Lemtyugov never got a chance because of that. There was just no room for him to get a chance. He only had 37 points in 70 games, he didn't blow anyone away stats wise, and he was a liability on D. he was also a former 7th round pick. he also indicated several times that his ultimate goal was to go play in the KHL, which dropped him on the chart.

Old
04-13-2013, 07:08 AM
HanniBlues

Quote:
He quit on the team. During the 05-06 season he was one of the most skilled players on the Blues, but he played little defense, did not hussle, and just quit. For the life of me, I cannot remember the game, but Petr was in a race for a loose puck, stop skating, and allowed the opposing player to skate free into the zone.

Erik Johnson is an easy one, franchise 2-way defenseman, that never was. What ever happened to Glumac?

HanniBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 09:24 AM
Halak Ness Monster

Carl Soderberg: He is finally coming over to the NHL at age 27 but I thought he was going to be a great NHL player for the Blues about 6 years ago. Perhaps he will be but not for St. Louis.

Halak Ness Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 03:33 PM
STL fan in IA

Players that I thought would do better:

Peter Sejna - I thought he would be a stud. He put up amazing numbers in Jrs and college but looking back at things, he was always a little older than most of his competition in Jrs and college. In the pro game, he was basically only useful on the PP when he wasn't being overly checked or pressured. He was undersized and was completely neutralized by physicality. Was never able to make the adjustment. He's playing in the Swiss league now.

Marek Schwarz - I remember being super excited about him falling down the 2004 draft and the Blues snagging him much later in the 1st round than he was projected to go. He was AMAZING at the WJC that year and I was really impressed with his reflexes and skills. Unfortunately, the most important aspect for a goalie is also the hardest to judge just by watch games on tv or online stream - mental toughness and that seemed to be Schwarz's weakness. He's now a backup/1B type goalie in the Czech league.

Carl Soderberg - I didn't know much of anything about him when the Blues selected him in 2004 but soon after, he established himself as one of the top players in the Allsvenskan and then the SEL...then the almost lost an eye, his team got demoted back to the Allsvenskan from the SEL with him missing from the lineup due to the injury and instead of signing with the Blues as planned, he decided to rehab and spend another year in Sweden testing the eye while also vowing to get his hometown team, Malmo, back into the SEL...and then vowed that year after year until the Blues traded him for Toivonen. Soderberg eventually gave up on getting Malmo back into the SEL and signed with Linkoping 2 years ago (Jonas Junland's old team). Now it seems he's finally willing to try his game in the NHL with the Bruins. I hold no ill will towards him. That eye injury changed everything and a guy has a right to play at home for less money than in the NHL for more money if he wants to. He had and still has a ton of skill. 2nd line center potential.

Hannu Toivonen - another flameout goalie and again, the issue seemed to be mental toughness more than a lack of skills. He appears to be a Finnish league backup now after bouncing around the N.A. minors and Sweden as well.

Erik Johnson - still a quality NHLer but obviously didn't reach the potential pretty much everybody said he had. That ACL & MCL injury really hurt his skating IMO (his best asset) but his hockey sense is also average.

Brett Sonne - I never overrated him after his 100 pt season like many did thinking he would be an NHL top-6 forward but he played a gritty and hard working game in Jrs and I thought he projected to be a good 3rd or 4th line NHLer in time. Now even that seems out of reach for him. I think he tried to be a scorer when he turned pro as he seemed to completely abandon the gritty, hard-working, blue-collar game that carried him in Jrs. A real shame.

Players that developed better than I expected:

David Perron - I'll admit it, I wasn't a fan of the Blues drafting him in 2007. I thought he was a whiny, selfish player that held onto the puck too long and his skills wouldn't translate to the pro game. While I was fairly correct about his skills/style of play, he's definitely translated it better than I expected. If only his awareness matched his stick skills...he could be a top player but I think what we see is what we get - an NHLer but a sometimes frustrating one.

Ben Bishop - he's still establishing himself but I was never all that high on him. He was beat way too often up high for someone of his height and also has a huge 5-hole with such long legs. He seems to have pulled it together though. He seems like a very nice kid so I'm more than happy for him...even if his success is happening elsewhere.

T.J. Oshie - at least at first. I didn't follow the draft back then nearly as closely as I do now so like most, when the Blues drafted Oshie I was like, WHO???! Once I saw him play as a freshman on UND though, I was fully on the Oshie bandwagon. A great risk pick by the Blues there.

Late round guys like Polak, Nikitin, Stempniak, etc. are ones I obviously never saw coming as well.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 06:33 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

I also always hoped that Kevin Dallman would be able to stick it out with us after we got him from Boston. He was small, but had a great shot and but up HUGE numbers in juniors and AHL.

The biggest one though was Jeff Heerema. The guy was a former 11th overall pick and I thought the blues got a steal on him. He put up nearly a ppg in the AHL, and dominated juniors.

Old
04-15-2013, 12:55 PM
TheRyanExpress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Coleman View Post
Stempniak-McClement-Backes was the kid line to me aswell, remember calling them that over on LGB many times(As did others).
Yep, I was on LGB at that time (still am) and they were the Kid Line to me as well.

I remember when Backes was called up and I never thought he'd be all that much. Of course he was overshadowed by Stempniak at the time, but as time wore on, Backes definitely put in the work and made a name for himself. Glad he's our Captain.

As for biggest disappointment, to me it was EJ, by far. He seemed to have the makeup of the next great d-man in St. Louis and never came close to reaching that ceiling. I still hope he does well moving forward.

TheRyanExpress is offline   Reply With Quote