HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft

Closed Thread

Old
04-09-2013, 04:58 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by dej View Post
greater offensive upside than bäckström? does that mean he got 100+p potential?

i do think that the north american skaters are overall better leaders and that their grit involves more than using his stick to fight people.

i do in general dont like swedish players, because their lack of physicality, but premiere scorers are worth a lot.

i need to look more into monahan though. thx for the info
Sorry, i meant Lindholm has greater offensive capabilities compared to Monahan.

Lindholm won't hit Backstrom's peak (which has been and gone, he won't hit 100 again). Different type of player.

National styles are overstated. We don't know who will be be NHL leaders down the line. Barkov has tremendous work ethic. Haven't heard any concerns over Lindholm and his dedication. People get confused between obvious leadership abilities and what really matters ; hard work and dedication. I don't particularly care the type of style a player has, but if he's talented and works really hard off the ice, usually he'll be successful.

Still, i can understand reasons for taking Monahan over Lindholm.

Old
04-09-2013, 05:02 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Im not sure about taking Barkov over Monahan. Barkov needs to work on his skating quite a bit before he's truly NHL ready. I like Monahan's skating a lot as well so that kinda differentiates them in my book. Yes Barkov's potential is maybe higher on offense than Monahan but I don't feel there is that big of a drop off in overall player.
Barkov skates fine. His skating issues are overstated. Barkov was also a fantastic skater when he was younger, but growth spurt caused some issues. Skating is improving all the time. Barkov plays a calm, slower mature game where skating isn't all that important either.

I'd be very content with Monahan, but i definitely would take Barkov over him from what i've seen. I just don't see Barkov not being an excellent NHL player. The skills are there, the Hockey IQ is there, the frame is there and the work ethic is reportedly there.

Old
04-09-2013, 05:29 PM
florida pwnthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Sorry, i meant Lindholm has greater offensive capabilities compared to Monahan.

Lindholm won't hit Backstrom's peak (which has been and gone, he won't hit 100 again). Different type of player.

National styles are overstated. We don't know who will be be NHL leaders down the line. Barkov has tremendous work ethic. Haven't heard any concerns over Lindholm and his dedication. People get confused between obvious leadership abilities and what really matters ; hard work and dedication. I don't particularly care the type of style a player has, but if he's talented and works really hard off the ice, usually he'll be successful.

Still, i can understand reasons for taking Monahan over Lindholm.
i'm from sweden and i can't stand the way swedish players play in general. personally i think KD can make a great player out of him, but in general it's just red wings that have made the new era of swedish players great. they are just way too soft imo

personally i prefer a godlike leader with gritty great overall play than a soft euro who put up a fewm ore points.

i think euros work hard but they just dont grow up with same physical play and many dont want to learn it. landeskog played in chl and got it, he's one of few great young swedes imo

Old
04-09-2013, 09:18 PM
IceManCat
Tank Disarmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripper View Post
From the scouting reports i've read at the prospects form, Forsberg is much more 'phyiscal' than Monahan. The swede posters call him a forsberg 'lite' (stress the word lite) because of how well he can protect the puck and take it to the net. Monahan will never be a guy to throw a big hit, much like toews. His speed and goal scoring ability aren't close to what Toews was/is.
I thought Toews developed the goal scoring touch later on

Old
04-09-2013, 10:01 PM
smokes lets go

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManCat View Post
I thought Toews developed the goal scoring touch later on
He scored 22 goals as a 17 year old (don't know how he got in a year early) at UND and led rookies in goals his first nhl year, I think he's always had it, ever since those 3 wjhc shootout goals you could see he has it.

Old
04-09-2013, 10:08 PM
IceManCat
Tank Disarmed

Quote:
He scored 22 goals as a 17 year old (don't know how he got in a year early) at UND and led rookies in goals his first nhl year, I think he's always had it, ever since those 3 wjhc shootout goals you could see he has it.
Toews averages slightly less than 30 goals per season, you don't see Monahan getting there

Old
04-09-2013, 10:22 PM
smokes lets go

Quote:
Toews averages slightly less than 30 goals per season, you don't see Monahan getting there
He may, but I would put the word 'lite' on Monahan for the Toews comparison, if Monahan becomes half the player toews is that should be considered a success.

Old
04-09-2013, 10:49 PM
IceManCat
Tank Disarmed

Quote:
He may, but I would put the word 'lite' on Monahan for the Toews comparison, if Monahan becomes half the player toews is that should be considered a success.
I think if your picking a player in the top 6 you should expect him to put up at least 25 goals no?

Old
04-09-2013, 11:22 PM
p9ers

Quote:
I think if your picking a player in the top 6 you should expect him to put up at least 25 goals no?
Unless it's a defensemen.

Old
04-10-2013, 02:25 PM
iam76

We are being out tanked by

Colorado, Calgary, Carolina...

We are equally tanking with Tampa..

I feel we will play better hockey than the first three if we play how we are now and the kids keep playing with comfort..

Im hoping bishop can steal a few more games...

Ugh...

Old
04-10-2013, 03:02 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by iam76 View Post
We are being out tanked by

Colorado, Calgary, Carolina...

We are equally tanking with Tampa..

I feel we will play better hockey than the first three if we play how we are now and the kids keep playing with comfort..

Im hoping bishop can steal a few more games...

Ugh...
We are only being outtanked by Colorado ATM. We are where we need to be at right now, and have you looked at our remaining schedule? Only three home games remaining, and every team, other than the Lightning, are either in the playoffs, or fighting for a playoff spot. Carolina and TB have similar schedules, but given their talent, compared to ours, I would think that they pick up a few more points than us. On top of that, I dont think we are going to win five more points than TB by seasons end, which we would have to do to jump them in the standings.

Old
04-10-2013, 04:35 PM
iam76

I hope you are right.

Old
04-10-2013, 10:09 PM
Don Tibbles
Nothing to see here

Elias Lindholm = Nik Backstrom

Sean Monahan = Jonathan Toews

Honestly, I don't buy it.

Old
04-10-2013, 10:46 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Rypien Farts View Post
Elias Lindholm = Nik Backstrom

Sean Monahan = Jonathan Toews

Honestly, I don't buy it.
Between these guys, I'd go with Monahan.

-ghoste

Old
04-10-2013, 10:50 PM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

Quote:
From the scouting reports i've read at the prospects form, Forsberg is much more 'phyiscal' than Monahan. The swede posters call him a forsberg 'lite' (stress the word lite) because of how well he can protect the puck and take it to the net. Monahan will never be a guy to throw a big hit, much like toews. His speed and goal scoring ability aren't close to what Toews was/is.
Quote:
IMO Monahan is a better skater at 18 than Toews was. I don't think anybody thinks Monahan=Toews, or else he'd be ranked #1 or 2. It is a stylistic comparison, as you said, Toews lite. Monahan is 18 and has a lot of developing to do, Toews is an established NHL star.

I don't think Lindholm is 'much more physical than Monahan', with all due respect. Lindholm may be good at taking the puck to the net and protecting it with his body, but from what I've seen of him, he's not that physical. I have seen Monahan run people over though in the OHL, last season he was suspended for a few games for a vicious charge.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:14 PM
iam76

calgary implodes in the last 9 minutes of game loses 1-4.... colorado winning against ducks 4-1...

Old
04-10-2013, 11:38 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

Colorado wins. I wanna thank Giguere for calling out his teammates.

-ghoste

Old
04-12-2013, 12:27 AM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

Colorado comes back to tie the game against the Kings but lose in the shootout. But still, they are tied with us in points but I guess are technically in last place because they've played one more game.

-ghoste

Old
04-12-2013, 04:48 PM
flapanthersfan

i just watched a bunch of highlights for the first time of mackinnon and drouin, and i just want to go on record and say i was far more impressed with drouin. you can't make accurate conclusions from highlights soley, but boy does that kid have an amazing set of hands and vision. reminds me of a patrick kane clone

Old
04-12-2013, 05:39 PM
florida pwnthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post
i just watched a bunch of highlights for the first time of mackinnon and drouin, and i just want to go on record and say i was far more impressed with drouin. you can't make accurate conclusions from highlights soley, but boy does that kid have an amazing set of hands and vision. reminds me of a patrick kane clone
from what i've read drouin always try the highlight stuff after WJC, turning it over a lot...

MacKinnons speed is apparently unreal and he's in their zone before his own team is half way to red line.

To me, I'd like Monahan the most, but with our current position I'd say go with MacKinnon for our bona fide #1 center

Old
04-12-2013, 06:19 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

vCash: 536
Drouin just seems like an offensive dynamo, kid is having a monster year

Old
04-12-2013, 10:45 PM
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon

calgary wins...yipee!

Old
04-12-2013, 10:45 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

Calgary beats Phoenix in overtime. Now have 34 points.

-ghoste

Old
04-12-2013, 11:08 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
calgary wins...yipee!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
Calgary beats Phoenix in overtime. Now have 34 points.

-ghoste
I REALLY hope this is the last season of this ****.

04-12-2013, 11:48 PM
phillipmike

Any idea who is starting in goal tomorrow?

Closed Thread