HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumors & Proposals Thread Vol. 14 | Breaking Oilers: Krazy 8(th overall pick?)

Closed Thread

Old
04-12-2013, 05:03 PM
BowDangles

vCash: 500
I am not sure if Stewart is the right Guy in Edmonton. He is having a good year right now but currently only has 2 pts in his last 9 games played.

He reminds me of a Dustin Penner, big frame that does not really play overly physical.

He also seems to be the guy to just disappear off the score sheet for years like Dustin Penner did..

I would prefer Berglund over him any day

Old
04-12-2013, 05:04 PM
Soundwave

Why would you trade Eberle anyway? He's been the best forward on the Oilers for the last two years, and is having one off 30 game stretch, lol, where he's probably been playing hurt.

That would be stupidity.

He still only has a mere 1 less goal scored this year than Taylor Hall.

Why not trade Hall while we're at it. Trade 'em both and tank for McDavid in two years time, lol.

Old
04-12-2013, 05:12 PM
Koto

hes never been better than hall.

Old
04-12-2013, 05:15 PM
BowDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Why would you trade Eberle anyway? He's been the best forward on the Oilers for the last two years, and is having one off 30 game stretch, lol, where he's probably been playing hurt.

That would be stupidity.

He still only has a mere 1 less goal scored this year than Taylor Hall.

Why not trade Hall while we're at it. Trade 'em both and tank for McDavid in two years time, lol.
I am just hoping that if we stop bringing it up people will stop talking about the idiotic idea.

So anyway, What would it take to get Berglund out of St. Louis??

Old
04-12-2013, 05:16 PM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
I am just hoping that if we stop bringing it up people will stop talking about the idiotic idea.

So anyway, What would it take to get Berglund out of St. Louis??
they say they have no reason to trade him unless its apart of a package for a 1C.

They want RNH for Berglund+ or they will sit on him.

Which is hilariously similar to how we view Gagner.

Old
04-12-2013, 05:31 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
The Flyers definitely need to be a target, but Tampa is ok with what they have, I think they're looking to add. They'll likely buyout Ohlund which will free up a roster spot and some cap space for them.

Speaking of the Flyers, it's looking like a possibility that they buyout Bryzgalov leaving them with just Steve Mason. With a struggling tender here, maybe there's a deal there.

Flyers buyout Bryzgalov, the Oilers then trade Eberle, Dubnyk and Peckham to the Flyers for Talbot, Meszaros and Read.

The Oilers then sigh BOTH Bryzgalov and Mike Smith. You have a significantly upgraded goaltending tandem, and you've gotten better on the blueline and tougher up front.
That is just a terrible trade idea. Why do we want Read, he just replaces Eberle's size with less skill. I don't see Mez as an upgrade and want nothing to do with Bryz. Smith is going to want over 5mil and I think Duby will be a good goalie so why give up on him. I have a feeling that once Smith leaves PHX his numbers won't be as good.

Old
04-12-2013, 05:34 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
they say they have no reason to trade him unless its apart of a package for a 1C.

They want RNH for Berglund+ or they will sit on him.

Which is hilariously similar to how we view Gagner.
I view Gagner as a legit top 6 player but I am not worried about getting a legit 1C. I would be happy to get a 2C with size. Gets less points than Gagner but is better in the faceoff and harder against the boards. What player would that be.

Old
04-12-2013, 05:35 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
The Flyers definitely need to be a target, but Tampa is ok with what they have, I think they're looking to add. They'll likely buyout Ohlund which will free up a roster spot and some cap space for them.

Speaking of the Flyers, it's looking like a possibility that they buyout Bryzgalov leaving them with just Steve Mason. With a struggling tender here, maybe there's a deal there.

Flyers buyout Bryzgalov, the Oilers then trade Eberle, Dubnyk and Peckham to the Flyers for Talbot, Meszaros and Read.

The Oilers then sigh BOTH Bryzgalov and Mike Smith. You have a significantly upgraded goaltending tandem, and you've gotten better on the blueline and tougher up front.
That's a terrible trade. Eberle is much more valuable than Read and they're basically the same size and could both be regularly up for the Lady Byng. Eberle is four years younger and was 15th in scoring last season. Read is a good young player and he certainly debuted in the NHL in impressive fashion but he's not likely to be a 1st line talent for a decade plus like Eberle. Eberle IMO is at worst going to be a comparable to Alex Tanguay with a bit more goal scoring, Joey Mullen, or a Daniel Briere. Read looks like at best a Chris Drury comparable, and i think a guy like Matt Cullen may be a more realistic comparison. It's tough to see this as anything other than a massive loss.

Dubnyk is worth more than many give him credit for as evidenced by his contract, save percentage and the verbal i've been hearing in the media. A goalie with his sv% is always going to have value. I don't think a Meszaros for Dubnyk trade is a win for the Oilers, at best it's a tie and i think that's very generous. Not only that it create's a huge hole in our lineup, as signing anyone isn't assured. And besides that why the hell would we want Bryzgalov? If you don't like the goals Dubnyk is letting in you sure as hell won't be all right with Bryzgalov in net. Smith could easily be the next Bryzgalov, made to look good by Phoenix's defensive system/Tippett. Hell the only time Tippett wasn't his coach (Tippett coached him in Dallas too) Smith was so bad he got waived and managed to pass through too. So basically you are relying a lot on luck in hoping Smith doesn't regress badly as Bryzgalov did and he too did once after leaving Tippett's system, and that you could even sign them.

Talbot is a great role player but he'll be coming off a major injury, is paid very well for a 4th liner, and is clearly not worth losing the other two trades in the deal by getting him for Peckham. I'd love Talbot still but the cost in this deal is astronomical for a guy who's going to play on the 4th line and may be breaking down.

Eberle>>Read
Dubnyk>=Meszaros
Talbot>>Peckham

The problem obviously is winning the role player deal doesn't make the star player deal reasonable.

Last edited by Eskimo44: 04-12-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Old
04-12-2013, 05:43 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
That is just a terrible trade idea. Why do we want Read, he just replaces Eberle's size with less skill. I don't see Mez as an upgrade and want nothing to do with Bryz. Smith is going to want over 5mil and I think Duby will be a good goalie so why give up on him. I have a feeling that once Smith leaves PHX his numbers won't be as good.
Its not that bad, lol, you improve your goaltending Massively, look a dubnyk, costs you games. Eberle's talented, but small and not gritty, and we know the blueline. You make this move for more grit, depth and you massively improve your blueline and goaltending

Old
04-12-2013, 05:45 PM
Soundwave

Hahahahahahahahaha, yes lets gift the Flyers 10 years of 40 goal seasons from Eberle playing with Giroux for their table scraps.

The only silver lining with that trade is that Hall would probably demand a trade out in 1-2 years too, leaving us open to tank for McDavid. Then we can deal RNH to fill the need of a star winger (of course).

Last edited by Soundwave: 04-12-2013 at 05:54 PM.
Old
04-12-2013, 05:51 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Its not that bad, lol, you improve your goaltending Massively, look a dubnyk, costs you games. Eberle's talented, but small and not gritty, and we know the blueline. You make this move for more grit, depth and you massively improve your blueline and goaltending
Sorry Jimmy, Its really bad.

Old
04-12-2013, 05:53 PM
Master Lok

How does the cap hit work on entry level contract bonuses?

For example, capgeek.com shows RNH's contract as 3.775, I'm guessing that's a 0.925 base plus bonuses = 3.775. Does that mean his cap hit is 3.775?

Because totalling the oilers cap his on the page, I don't equal capgeek's team total caphit.

Old
04-12-2013, 05:54 PM
Bergeron47

If Philly buys out Bryzgalov, why wouldn't they just sign Mike Smith?

Old
04-12-2013, 05:56 PM
Soundwave

HFOilers GM Logic = Player has one so-so 30 game stretch (where you're still tied for second on the team in goals) and he is "done" and "expendable" and "broken".

Need to be traded to "fill needs".

You score 3 goals in 3 games = You are now untouchable again, better than Tavares, need to be locked up for another 15 years! Core of the team cannot go forward without you! We might even beat Chicago in the 1st round ... look out world! Yeeeeeeeah baby!!!!!

lol

Canadian hockey fanbases are honestly the funniest, most bipolar group.

Old
04-12-2013, 06:04 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
Sorry Jimmy, Its really bad.
No, I know it is, though I will say this team needs help on the back end.

The trade is more of a statement of the stupidity around the evaluation of this team this year.

Sincerely discussed this year:
Eberle is Fat, he's lazy, he's peaked.
Nuge doesn't have it
Hall has 3rd line skill
Dubnyk has an "inflated" save percentage, he isn't really a starting goalie
The Oilers have "too much of the wrong skill" need more bigness.

I'm not saying this team is "fine", but for **** sakes, can we please stop accepting stupity at the level we are right now? Geez

Old
04-12-2013, 06:06 PM
Paralyzer008

Why do we always include Eberle in proposals?

also, why do we always include him in terrible proposals?

Old
04-12-2013, 06:13 PM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 777
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
I view Gagner as a legit top 6 player but I am not worried about getting a legit 1C. I would be happy to get a 2C with size. Gets less points than Gagner but is better in the faceoff and harder against the boards. What player would that be.
Couturier? Not gonna be cheap, though. Wonder if Gagner + MPS would do it. Probably not
If he's on the table, I go hard after him, though. Do whatever it takes, besides the big 5. Depending where we draft in the first round this year and who's left on the table, I might be willing to trade that. Getting Couturier now instead of waiting for a Barkov (as an example) to develop would speed up the rebuild fast.

Old
04-12-2013, 06:14 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post

Because No one wants to consider any of the Oilers actually valuable to not look like a homer, which leads to the "quality" proposals.

Old
04-12-2013, 06:18 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post

Hall and Eager for Glencross, Kipper, Giordano.

Look guys, we have teh balance and gritty.

Old
04-12-2013, 06:21 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
No, I know it is, though I will say this team needs help on the back end.

The trade is more of a statement of the stupidity around the evaluation of this team this year.

I'm not saying this team is "fine", but for **** sakes, can we please stop accepting stupity at the level we are right now? Geez
Agreed with you on this JJ.

Way I see it, Not much is going to change on the Oilers lineup, but improvement will depend on the development of the kids, not just the big five, but players like paajarvi, petry, Lander, Hartikainen as well.

Assuming the Oilers resign Gagner and Paajarvi, I can see 8 of the top 9 spots will remain the same.

Hall - RNH - Eberle
Paajarvi - Gagner - Yakupov
xxx - Horcoff - Hemsky
Smyth - Belanger/Smithson - Brown

I can see the oilers either buying out Belanger and resigning Smithson, or not signing Smithson (he's a UFA) and bringing back Belanger. one of those two guys is gone.

Eager will probably be the other buy out. I don't see the Oilers resigning Petrell, Jones, Whitney, Sutton, Khabibulin unless they come back at reduced prices.

I don't see much change in the Oilers defense either. I can see the Oilers keeping one of Fistric or Peckham.

Petry - Smid
Schultz - Schultz
Potter - xxx

#1 - That means we have a hole on the 3rd line wing.
#2 - We need a 3rd pairing puck moving defenseman.
#3 - Unless Khabibulin comes back at much reduced rate, the Oilers will be looking for a backup goalie.

#1 - Winger should bring some size and grit, preferably weight to the 3rd line. Preferably someone who can add some scoring as well. Options (all 205 lbs and over) include Teemu Hartikainen and UFAs like Ryan Clowe, Bryan Bickell, Victor Stalberg, Guilliame Latendresse, Eric Fehr, Wojtek Wolski, Dustin Penner, Raffi Torres.

#2 - Preferably a 4/5 veteran dman who can move the puck without too much chaos (NO MA Bergeron) for not too much money. UFA options include: Toni Lydman, Joe Corvo, Ian White, Grant Clitsome, Marek Zidlicky, Mark Streit, Mike Kostka, Ron Hainsey.

#3 - UFA options include Anton Khudobin, Joey Macdonald, Al Montoya. Key here is caphit. You don't want to be paying $7 million for two goaltenders.

Old
04-12-2013, 06:28 PM
Soundwave

I don't think the Oilers will do a ton this off-season either. They don't have a lot of pieces, unless they want to put their 1st rounder in play.

I think Smithson and Fistric, should be retained.

Hemsky moved for someone like Nikitia Nikitin (decent no.4 d-man, left handed, good size, right age range).

Nugent Hopkins needs to be much better next year, IMO he's the main reason we are not in the playoffs this year.

We must get Al Montoya though. Make the video tapes, bring in Gretzky, Fuhr, etc. for the presentation, etc.

Old
04-12-2013, 06:32 PM
The Bored Man

vCash: 537
Quote:

I was hoping that we were done with the days of trading the best player in the deal.

Old
04-12-2013, 06:34 PM
ToeDrag83
Down, Not Out

Eberle for OEL straight up.

But yeah, I'm more than willing to be patient with Eberle. What is frustrating is the laziness and lack of compete Eberle seems to be playing with for the majority of this season. Hoping it's a one off this year with the shortened season or some sort of injury. Maybe even fatgiue from the AHL season, he did play like 40+ games.

As for the above proposal, give to get. OEL is an absolute stud. He alone would give us some kind of tangible breakout.

Old
04-12-2013, 06:35 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

I think it's crazy that Eberle is having an off year and people want to ship him out. Ovechkin had an off year. So many star players have their off years once in a while. The kid is a stud long term, and is locked up long term.

Old
04-12-2013, 06:36 PM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 777
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
I think it's crazy that Eberle is having an off year and people want to ship him out. Ovechkin had an off year. So many star players have their off years once in a while. The kid is a stud long term, and is locked up long term.
I don't think many people seriously do want to ship him out.

No one has anything to say about my Couturier post?

Closed Thread