HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Roster Building Thread: Titles May Not Reflect Actual Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2013, 01:51 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
He's one of the better goalies in the Elitserien the past few years, which has had some very good goalies lately (Ducks Andersen and Fasth, Wild Gustafsson, Bruins Svedberg).
He plays a similar style to Henrik Lundqvist, staying deep in his net and using his reflexes.
Before he was let go in favor of Niko Hovinen, he and Bobrovsky were seen as pretty much equal.
European goalies are a crapshoot, but he might be the best out there this year.

It's the Seattle organization that's crap, and yes, he played there.
Portland are cheaters, but Seattle are just terrible.

Well, Holloway was just one of the interesting prospects with Manchester and I saw a decent amount of him as he was in Portland's division when we were affiliated with them.
I haven't seen as much of Eriksson, as he was a backup the last time they had a decent draft prospect (2010-11, when Adam Larsson played there, along with Erixon and Rundblad), but I've ended up watching them in the playoffs the past few years because they've always ended up in the final.
Good stuff, as always.

Old
04-11-2013, 08:43 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
If any of the rumors of Kuznetsov being available are at all true, I would hope Darcy does everything in his power to get him. He would be the cherry on top of this new young core we are attempting to build.

Old
04-11-2013, 09:17 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
A bit out there, but two UFAs to look at are Joacim Eriksson and Bud Holloway, teammates with Skellefteå (currently in the Elitserien final vs. Luleå).

Eriksson is a goalie and a former Flyers draft pick (they chose not to sign him for some reason even though he was their top prospect according to many, but they suck with goalies).
He's performed very well in the Elitserien and has led his team to two consecutive final appearances (hasn't won just yet).
He's probably just about ready to step into the NHL at the age of 23 and is reportedly looking to come to the NHL.
It'd be a two year ELC.

Holloway is a former Kings draft pick and actually currently a Group IV free agent (defected restricted free agent), but is scheduled to become a Group VI (unrestricted free agent at the age of 25 due to lack of NHL games played).
He was working his way towards becoming an NHL'er in the AHL before leaving the Kings organization in the summer of 2011.
The Kings felt he was ready for the NHL, but never gave him his shot.
He's lit it up in the Elitserien since, finishing fifth and first in scoring in his two seasons and missed breaking the Elitserien record for points set by Håkan Loob thirty years ago by only five points.

With the potential there is for roster turnover this summer, adding both of these guys would create competition in addition to still having some decent upside.
If they were to just clean out the crease completely, Eriksson would create competition for Hackett.
Both Eriksson and Hackett would be waiver exempt, so a veteran could be brought in and whichever of the two young goalies loses the battle would be in Rochester.
With Pominville gone, our RW's will be Armia, Flynn, Kaleta, and Stafford.
Holloway would create competition for Armia in particular.
He would not be waiver exempt, but would be a nice minor league scorer and depth option if he lost out on a spot.
Pegula bucks and the new waiver rules could be used to counter his waiver status (load up the minor league salary or just make it a one-way).
Not out there at all. They need to turn up something from non-conventional sources and have needs for depth beyond just the big club -- as you said, competition is vital. They can't walk into next season simply handing jobs to the kids, it's not a recipe for development success. Entitlement helps no one.

Holloway threads pop up on the Trade Forum from time to time and I recall the yammer when the Flyers let Eriksson walk.

04-12-2013, 02:44 AM
jfb392

So, any interest in Brière?
Quote:
Briere is likely down to his final eight games as a Flyer. He’s an obvious option for an amnesty buyout this summer with two years left on his deal at a team-high $6.5 million cap hit.

The buyout would cost the Flyers $3.3 million, or two-thirds of what he is owed, which is $5 million after this season.

Briere’s deal, signed in 2007 as a free agent, was eight years, $52 million.

He admitted on Thursday he’s playing to remain a Flyer, and that he understands amnesty is a legitimate obstacle right now. He almost concedes it’s going to happen this summer, regardless.

“Definitely,” he said. “It’s reality. There’s no doubt about it. But at the same time, those are things I can’t control at this moment. All I can control is for me to come back into the lineup and play as good as I can, to show them. Other than that, I can’t worry about injuries or what they are going to decide to do. That’s out of my control at this point.

“It was agreed by both the players and owners. So no, I can’t complain about that. I end up being the one to pay the price. But you know what, there have been so many good things that turned in my favor over the years that I won’t complain about that.”
http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...-facing-buyout

He may be slowing down a bit but he's been a very positive mentor for some of the younger Flyers (Couturier and Giroux, who have lived with him).
There's the issue of his kids (he's divorced) and the fact that we probably won't be winning anything for a few years, but if he's willing to come here, I'd welcome him back.

Old
04-12-2013, 03:08 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Briere is a vet id entertain.

Old
04-12-2013, 07:20 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Anyone else hear anything about Buffalo signing a currently unnamed college UFA? It's other-board hearsay, but given the rash of injuries, it's at least logical.

Old
04-12-2013, 07:30 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Anyone else hear anything about Buffalo signing a currently unnamed college UFA? It's other-board hearsay, but given the rash of injuries, it's at least logical.
I haven't seen anything, but did they specify if it was a big name?
Laganière of Yale and Hartzell of Quinnipiac are pretty much the only big fish remaining and will probably sign shortly after the final tomorrow.
Chicago just signed Hobey Baker winner Drew LeBlanc, so he's off the table.

Old
04-12-2013, 07:41 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 54
Quote:
Quote:
I haven't seen anything, but did they specify if it was a big name?
Laganière of Yale and Hartzell of Quinnipiac are pretty much the only big fish remaining and will probably sign shortly after the final tomorrow.
Chicago just signed Hobey Baker winner Drew LeBlanc, so he's off the table.
I haven't seen anything either. However, if I had to speculate on someone else from the eliminated Frozen Four teams (SCSU, UML) signing an ELC, maybe UML's RHD Christian Folin then. As mentioned, Yale's Antoine Laganiere still has the final to play and won't sign somewhere until after that.

Old
04-12-2013, 08:11 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
So, any interest in Brière?

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...-facing-buyout

He may be slowing down a bit but he's been a very positive mentor for some of the younger Flyers (Couturier and Giroux, who have lived with him).
There's the issue of his kids (he's divorced) and the fact that we probably won't be winning anything for a few years, but if he's willing to come here, I'd welcome him back.
I've wondered if the Flyers are serious about a bid for Vanek if they ask Briere to waive to go back to Buffalo as the compensating salary.

They buyout will make him a far less expensive option for someone.

Old
04-12-2013, 08:15 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I've wondered if the Flyers are serious about a bid for Vanek if they ask Briere to waive to go back to Buffalo as the compensating salary.
Interesting. I'd imagine that in taking back Briere, the rest of the package is better than it would be without, no?

Vanek for Briere, Couturier, + ??????

Old
04-13-2013, 01:11 AM
start winnin
NO MORE TANK BOYS

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
Interesting. I'd imagine that in taking back Briere, the rest of the package is better than it would be without, no?

Vanek for Briere, Couturier, + ??????
Absolutely. I wouldn't mind having Briere around, he would be a great leader for this team. We need a player like him for the kids to be around. I would be so happy if Briere came back. Is Laughton more untouchable than Couturier?? I loved what I saw from that kid during his short stint in the big league, he's going to be a gamer one day.

Old
04-13-2013, 03:56 AM
Djp

My plan if I were GM.....

2013/2014 team forwards:

Vanek-Hodgson-Ott
Leino-Grigorenko-Armia
Folignio-Ennis-Flynn
Troup-Porter-Kaleta

At the draft I am looking to trade:

Miller, Stafford, Gerbe, Adam

Vanek, Enroth, and Ennis are possibilities depending on the trade

Players I want to target ....

RW---Bobby Ryan, Chris Stewart, or Dustin Brown.
C ---Burmistrov, 3rd line cheaper Center to sign to a 1-2 yr contract.

My like term focus in on 14/15 where I am expecting Girgensons and Larsson to play. I expect both to be called up some time next season.

I look at:

Girgensons-Larsson-Ott as one line in 14/15.

TRADES MADE:

Miller....there are numerous options here. Do I get in return another goalie or not. potential deals:

Miller to STL for Halak, prospect,
Miller to ANA for Hiller + prospect
Miller to WAS/PHL for young player + pick

i am hoping for a golie meltdown for a playoff team (see Chicago, St Louis, Washington)

I would propose:

Ennis, Stafford and Gerbe/Adam to ANA for Ryan

If Miller is traded for a goalie as part of the return...

Stafford, Enroth, LA 2nd in 2015 to LA for Dustin Brown

Stafford +Adam/Gerbe for Burmistrov

Ennis + LA 2nd in 2014 to STL for Stewart

I will try to negotiate a 4 yr contract extension with Vanek. If we cant come to an agreement then he will be on the market. The expectant return would be a 1st + NHL level under 25 yr old player+ prospect.
One of these players needs to be a winger if one isnt acquired in other deals.

In terms of UFA moves in summer of 2013...I wouldnt be doing much at all. I want to keep flexibility for summer of 2014 when someone could be gotten. The only signings I could see doing if trades didnt pan out are
(1) veteran defensive Dman who is rather cheap <$3M per year who is the veteran/teacher type of player.
and
(2) 3rd/4th line Center/winger who can do PK and is strong on the draws.

The other wildcard will be with the draft and who is picked. If Buffao happens to draft one of the top 4 centers this will put added pressure on the team--if not now then in a season or two in terms of possibly picking 2 of the 3 Centers and trading the other.

Old
04-13-2013, 05:07 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Nice call!

Old
04-13-2013, 01:06 PM
Dutchess
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Gleason View Post
At the Draft:

Miller to the Islanders for the negotiation rights to Mark Streit and a conditional 1st round pick (2014 or 2015), conditional 3rd round pick (2014)

Why the Sabres do it:
With the acquisition of Hackett and the remaining presence of Enroth, they have the goaltending of the future. A signed Streit hopefully bolsters the defense enough that the goaltending dropoff is outweighed by the PP benefits. ~Veteran Leadership~. If they fail to sign Streit, the Sabres choose which 1st to take by trade deadline 2014. Sabres retain 15% of his salary.

Why the Isles do it:
Primarily, negotiations with Streit don't improve. Thomas is a nutcase and isn't getting any younger. Nabakov is old too. Miller still has a few good years left in him, and Brooklyn's certainly more attractive for a man of his nature (not to mention his wife) than either Buffalo or Nassau. NYI's young talent is coming of age and Miller could be part of that. Presumably they make the deal with the expectation they don't have to give up the 1st.

E: Why does Miller waive?
Isles have a better chance at the playoffs, allure of NYC, Taveres begs him.

Stafford, Sabres 1st 2013 (appx 10-13) to the Flyers for 2013 1st (appx 5-6)

Why the Sabres do it:
Stafford's welcome has worn out regardless of his ability. The writing is on the wall vis-a-vis the Burmistrov offer. At 5 or 6 the team can still select Monahan/Lindholm and further the rebuild more than the average 10-13 guy.

Why the Flyers do it:
30 goal scorers don't grow on trees, and he's relatively affordable, assuming Sabres retain 10% of his salary and Philly makes cuts/moves re: Briere or Bryz. Holmgren's aggressive GMing might lead him to take a lower grade of prospect and a skilled mid-age player in effort to get back to the playoffs while the older D are still viable options.

Free Agency:

Tyler Bozak for $4.5m x 4 years

Why the Sabres do it:
Bozak gives them a capable 2-way center who excels at faceoffs. He'll bridge the gap to Girgensons' and Larsson's early prime years while affording the Sabres the option of re-signing or extending him should things not work out.

Why Bozak does it:
Dat cash. It's overpayment, clear and simple. But it's an organizational need and it's not like Pegula's hurting for cash. Nor will the Sabres be really hurting for cap space any time soon with the upcoming reliance on ELC and second contract players. A position as #2C on a team that should be, worst case scenario, a reasonable playoff contender by 2014-15. Stays in a region that he's familiar with. He'll still have the opportunity to cash in again at 31 should he so choose.

Mark Streit for $6.0m x 2 years, NMC

Why the Sabres do it:
He's a great player. He'd upgrade the PP, shore up some defensive issues, and altogether improve the depth chart dramatically. With a short term there's little risk and could be moved to a contender should the team not contend for the playoffs. He's not here long enough to really logjam the developing defensemen in Rochester/junior.

Why Streit does it:
Again, dat cash. Dat NMC. Dat Sabres brand that Pegula is so desperately trying to develop. He followed the money to a NYI team in a worse position than the Sabres', let's assume Darth can convince him to do it again.

Re-Sign
Hodgson for $3.0m x 2
Enroth/Hackett for $1.0m x 2
Flynn for $1.25m x 3
Weber for $1.5m x 2
Tropp for $750k x 1

Bury/Call-up
Gerbe to Rochester
Armia to Buffalo
Grigorenko to Buffalo
Larsson to Buffalo

2013-14 Lineup

Vanek - Hodgson - Ott
Leino - Bozak - Larsson
Armia - Ennis/Grigorenko - Grigorenko/Ennis
Foligno - Porter - Kaleta
Flynn

Myers - Sekera
Ehrhoff - Streit
Weber - Pysyk

Hackett/Enroth

A primary scoring line, a two-way line, an easy-minutes/offensive development line, and a grinding line. A 1A/1B goaltending battle.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Thomas Vanek ($7.143m) / Cody Hodgson ($3.000m) / Steve Ott ($2.950m)
Ville Leino ($4.500m) / Tyler Bozak ($4.500m) / Johan Larsson ($0.870m)
Joel Armia ($1.275m) / Tyler Ennis ($2.813m) / Mikhail Grigorenko ($1.775m)
Marcus Foligno ($0.900m) / Kevin Porter ($0.538m) / Patrick Kaleta ($1.250m)
Brian Flynn ($1.250m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Tyler Myers ($5.500m) / Andrej Sekera ($2.750m)
Christian Ehrhoff ($4.000m) / Mark Streit ($6.000m)
Mike Weber ($1.500m) / Mark Pysyk ($0.870m)
GOALTENDERS
Matthew Hackett ($1.000m)
Jhonas Enroth ($1.000m)
OTHER
Buried: Cody McCormick ($0.275m)
Buried: Nathan Gerbe ($0.525m)
RETAINED SALARY TRANSACTIONS (3.316% of upper limit)
Jason Pominville ($0.795m—0.2%) Ryan Miller ($0.938m—15.0%) Drew Stafford ($0.400m—10.0%)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,315,357; BONUSES: $1,310,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $7,294,643
I don't see a whole lot I disagree with other than the Miller trade. I just can't see the Sabres trading Miller for a 35-year old defenseman when they can't possibly see themselves as a playoff team next season. Sabres would need young guys or picks back.

Other than that, I don't entirely disagree. Would do the Stafford deal in a heartbeat.

Old
04-13-2013, 03:02 PM
Blitz
All JACKED up!!!

Couple ideas (some have come up before)

To

W Drew Stafford ($4M)

To

C/W Alexander Burmistrov ($1.5M RFA)
2013 4th RND pick

---------------------------------------------

To

G Ryan Miller ($6.25 - [BUF retains $1.25M])

To

G Jonas Hiller ($4.5M)
2014 3rd RND pick

To

W Nathan Gerbe ($1.45M)

To

D Henrik Tallinder ($3.75M)

Re-sign D Mike Weber to a reasonable 2yr. deal

Aggresively pursue UFA C Valtteri Filppula - 4yrs @ $4.25M per

Sign D Rob Scuderi (2yrs $3M per)

Ennis-Hodgson-Vanek
Leino-Filppula-Ott
Grigorenko-Burmistrov-Foligno
Flynn/Tropp-Girgensons-Kaleta

X. Flynn/Tropp, Larsson, McCormick, Ellis

Ehrhoff-Sekera
Myers-Tallinder
Weber-Scuderi

X. Pysyk, McNabb, Crawford, JGL, McCabe

Hiller
Hackett

Thoughts?

Old
04-13-2013, 03:02 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Briere is a vet id entertain.
Id be fine with him---just not at the $6.5M cap hit. If he is part of a trade Philly has to eat the cap it that inst actual pay for the seasons.

Old
04-13-2013, 03:44 PM
Ron C.
HFBoards Sponsor

I like the idea of bring back Briere. The Sabres PP is immediately upgraded with him on the half wall.

Old
04-13-2013, 03:52 PM
Ricky Bobby

This summer Buffalo should embrace an aggressive rebuild and do more deals like the Pominville deal where they retain salary because they've got the cap space and Terry has shown he's willing to spend money.

Trade:

-Ott and Miller for high picks/good prospects. Retain salary on both them.

-Try to extend Vanek for a hometown discount. If he's unwilling to accept on trade him and retain salary

-Trade Stafford (and retain salary) if the trade deal comes along. Otherwise head into the season with him

In UFA target vets who will accept 1 or 2 year deals (even potentially 3 for the right player) by slightly overpaying them so youngsters don't need to be rushed and these players can be dealt later on for additional assets. Think guys like Jagr, Ryder, McDonald, Gonchar, Hainsey.

Sabres are a ways off from being a good team again. The quicker they fully accept that the quicker they can become a top team.

Old
04-14-2013, 10:29 AM
gallagt01

Is Ott in Buffalo's long-term plans?

Better yet, is Buffalo in Ott's long-term plans?

At 30, I can't imagine he wants to be a part of a rebuild.

Old
04-14-2013, 10:42 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Malholtra is done. He'll never play in the NHL again.

Old
04-14-2013, 10:54 AM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

vCash: 50
I'd love to see Briere back, have that saga end on good terms.

We aren't going anywhere fast and he'd be an excellent leader and mentor for the young guys coming up. I'm sure he could teach a guy like Ennis a trick or two.

As long as we aren't taking a 6.5 cap hit along with him.

Old
04-14-2013, 11:19 AM
couture23
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Reality based?

Sign Boyd Gordon, three years, $1.9M average for defensive zone starts/PK/faceoff speciality.

Slightly less reality based?

Stafford and the Sabres 2014 fourth rounder to Winnepeg for Burmistrov and the Jets 2014 third.

Vanek and a conditional 2015 pick (2nd round if he does not re-sign in Nashville) for Zack Budish and the Preds first in 2014.

Miller could go to a team who stumbles in the playoffs -- if Crawford is a sieve for Chicago perhaps or maybe the Blues. The Phoenix ownership schmoozle likely takes them out of the running completely since they may wind up moving so I doubt they are on his list. There are limited goaltending availabilities so the market is not really there. Mostly, I see him around another season.
I really hope we could get more for Vanek than a former 3rd rounder and a 1st.

Old
04-14-2013, 11:36 AM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by couture23 View Post
I really hope we could get more for Vanek than a former 3rd rounder and a 1st.
Budish is a former second rounder for what it's worth.

I'm a big fan of his game. But I think we could get more than that for Vanek.

Budish, '14 1st is a nice basis. Ekholm?

Old
04-14-2013, 11:38 AM
couture23
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Quote:

My bad. Regardless, isn't Budish defensive-oriented?

Old
04-14-2013, 01:16 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:

Preds seem like a good spot for Vanek to me. Poile said he wants to add offense while leaving the defense alone. I was thinking about Vanek for a first in 2014, plus prospects (Forsberg, Budish, Ekholm). Not a bad deal for a Sabres team in a full-on rebuild.

Closed Thread