HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

4/11/13 - Game 40 - Panthers @ Jets

Closed Thread

Old
04-12-2013, 06:53 AM
FloriDada

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dej View Post
the "fun facts"
Definitely the highlight of the game.

Old
04-12-2013, 07:01 AM
pantherbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats Kneading Goals View Post
This is the big, physical defenceman with a mean streak that the Panthers drafted. It is still a physical game isn't it?

All of this aiming for the head stuff is getting old imo. NHL Players get the poop checked out of them sometimes. They just have to shake it off and move on.
Game feels like it's gotten a lot softer over the past few years...

Old
04-12-2013, 07:47 AM
ICdave
HFB Partner

Panthers post-game audio

Panthers: Coach Dineen, Quinton Howden and Tomas Fleischmann.

To listen click here.

Old
04-12-2013, 08:38 AM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldohildahl View Post
I come in peace, hopefully to shed some light on why the hit on Little was clearly illegal. He did not elbow LiTtle, he did not leave his feet, however the principle point of contact was littles head which makes it an illegal hit regardless of the size of the player. Two years ago this would not of been a penalty but the gm's in the league have decided that this is an illegal play now. It is strictly enforced and will likely result in a suspension.
I hope by reading PB's post you've now been educated on why the hit on little was legal and the only thing owed to gudbranson is an apology.

Moreover If u read YOUR OWN GDT you'll see most believe it wasn't an infraction.

Cheers.

Last edited by adam graves: 04-12-2013 at 08:58 AM.
Old
04-12-2013, 08:40 AM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBPantherfan View Post
The rule is the head has to be targeted and be the principle point of contact not one or the other but both. And if this was a penalty then why did the ref who was standing 2 -3 feet away not call anything? Why did they not call Wheeler when he hit Howden with the exact same hit? And for your viewing pleasure.

Why was this not even a penalty and no suspension was handed out.

Here is Shanaban explaining why it wasn't

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=199073
Excellent post. I'm shocked that so many jet fans lack knowledge of the rule(s).

Old
04-12-2013, 08:59 AM
Crosby87Bennett19fan
Ellerby fan too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
Excellent post. I'm shocked that so many jet fans lack knowledge of the rule(s).
they lack alot of knowledge period. and quite frankly im not shocked that they lack knowledge of the rules. Many fan bases do.

Old
04-12-2013, 09:52 AM
RainingRats

Strachan has been very bad the last few weeks but he's being asked to play more than he can handle against too good of competition. His main issue is not keeping his head on a swivel. It seems he gets beat at least once a game with a guy scoring on his blindside/backside. He's a good d-man on the bottom pair/depth guy but he's being paired with Campbell who has also been awful defensively, playing 20+minutes. That goal last night where Olli Jokinen knocked BC off the puck to get the puck to the front of the net where they scored really shows his lack of fortitude in our own zone this whole losing season. Strachan then got surprised from behind and it turned into a goal.

The problem with strachan is that we're going to have a Brennan, Jovo, and maybe a young guy (Petro, Robak) competing for the 5th, 6th, and 7th spots. I think Tallon will understand Strachan is playing too many minutes against quality competition and maybe sign him to a cheap two year deal. As long as he is a depth d-man, playing 3rd pairing minutes, he's fine, imo.

Old
04-12-2013, 10:01 AM
RainingRats

That Gudbranson penalty call is exactly why we need *some version* of coaches challenge/instant reply. Can you imagine if that was a tied game and we were fighting for a playoff spot?

Old
04-12-2013, 10:02 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherbot View Post
Game feels like it's gotten a lot softer over the past few years...
I don't think it's softer, more the officials overreact because of what has gone on with hits to the head. It doesn't help the referees when the office of player safety seems to be so random in their decisions.

Old
04-12-2013, 10:23 AM
PBPantherfan
1st place WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
That Gudbranson penalty call is exactly why we need *some version* of coaches challenge/instant reply. Can you imagine if that was a tied game and we were fighting for a playoff spot?
They probably wouldn't call that or the Parros double minor if we were fighting for a playoff spot. That's the problem from Shanahan through the on ice guys there is zero consistency. You would think the hockey writers would call out the NHL on this but they don't. And until the media and fans really put pressure on the league it's not going to change. Because even though the Panthers are out of the playoffs those calls effected every team fighting with Winnepeg for a playoff spot it should be an embarrassment to the league but the lap dog media won't do anything about it.

Old
04-12-2013, 10:30 AM
Howboutthempanthers
I come in peace.

Yeah Strachan and Kuba . These two, I just don't know. Strachan is a 6th or 7th defensemen at the most. I give him a slight edge over Kuba. At least Strachan can shoot the puck a little. Kuba is like an anti defensemen, he is totally nonexistent as far as stopping opposing forwards from going around him, doesn't have any puck moving skills at all, and he gets beat easily in the corners and up against the boards for loose pucks.

And people question why Gudbranson's +/- is so bad, this is the guy he is paired with. Guds spends most of his shift trying to cover for Kuba's bad play, and of course there is nothing he can do most of time, the puck is in the net before anybody can react to Kuba getting beat. That gives everybody on the ice a minus.

Last edited by Howboutthempanthers: 04-12-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Old
04-12-2013, 10:38 AM
ursavolta

vCash: 825
I agree, kuba is the anti -dman.. bad signing, but he may very well help us grab a top 3 pick.

Sucks to see Strachan playing the way he has as of late. One of the things i like about his game the most is the aggressiveness he provides. He will drop the gloves and will stand up and yap to opposing players if need be. He tries to get under the skin of the other team which is awesome.

We need someone like that.. someone with a pair between their legs, looking to make enemies more than friends. We need someone to step up, land big hits and do the dirty things, regardless if we are having a horrible year.

Hopefully we see that type of inspiring leadership in Guds next season (which I am pretty sure he will fit that role, we have seen a little bit from him this couple seasons. we shall see.. I just can't wait), that is why we drafted him so high

Old
04-12-2013, 11:14 AM
Hank Chinaski
Global Moderator
No mistakes...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
I don't think it's softer, more the officials overreact because of what has gone on with hits to the head. It doesn't help the referees when the office of player safety seems to be so random in their decisions.
That Gudbrandson hit was the third match penalty called all season. All three of them (Desjardins and Backes were the other two) have been complete overreactions by the drama queen ref.

Just an aside, the replay shown at the MTS Centre last night was a terrible angle that basically had Gudbrandson barelling into the frame, perhaps that contributed to some of the, um, "weird conclusions" being drawn. From the TV angle, it was so patently obvious that it was a clean check with zero targeting of the head, Little unfortunately turned into it.

Old
04-12-2013, 11:16 AM
hockey dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
I thankfully only watched the first period. Not sure what started all this hoopla on the boards tonight.

I'm amazed at how kuba finds new ways to be horrendous every game.

Tyson Strachan has overstayed his welcome in the NHL.

What I fear would happen with markstrom coming in is taking form. The defense thinks they can let the goalie play the entire game having to make acrobatic saves and have 40+ shot workloads every night. UNACCEPTABLE! It failed during luongos reign and it will fail if we allow defensive complacency to exist with markstrom at the helm as well.

I don't care about injuries, our defensive systems and style of play, PK have been terrible all year long-even in most wins. Gord Murphy deserves some
Blame.

We have had far too many blowouts against us this year. It's embarrassing.
Not sure Gord Murphy is to blame. He didn't sign Kuba or Jovo or give Brian Campbell (Mr. pond hockey) 7 million dollars.

Old
04-12-2013, 11:20 AM
nhlfan9191

We still have a long way to go. Ugh.

Old
04-12-2013, 11:41 AM
IceManCat
#CatsAreComing

Call me ignorant but I have never seen a match penalty before. Is that another term for a 5 minute penalty that is not a misconduct?

Old
04-12-2013, 12:14 PM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

vCash: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManCat View Post
Call me ignorant but I have never seen a match penalty before. Is that another term for a 5 minute penalty that is not a misconduct?
Close. A "Match Penalty" is identical to a "Game Misconduct" in the fact they both result in immediate ejection of the player. The difference between the two is that while a "Game Misconduct" carries no PIMs with it, a "Match Penalty" carries a 5-min major. There are also significant differences in the way they are reviewed as well.

Here is a pretty good description of the difference between the two.

Last edited by Desert Panther: 04-12-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old
04-12-2013, 12:21 PM
PanthersHockey1
South by Southeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey dude View Post
Not sure Gord Murphy is to blame. He didn't sign Kuba or Jovo or give Brian Campbell (Mr. pond hockey) 7 million dollars.
i agree that our players should be better. It sucks with campbell because he is very lazy defensively but he is outstanding and maybe the only reason we score consistently on the PP. Wish he was a forward.

But i question why we are always never in the right place in the right time in the defensive zone? We can never for the life of me intercept a pass or muscle a guy and steal the puck away.

Our positioning is something that is really bad and can be fixed very easily with solid coaching.

Old
04-12-2013, 02:38 PM
Howboutthempanthers
I come in peace.

As long as someone talks to Erik about that hit and says, "you keep right on hitting them Erik. That's not you with the issues, that's them. That's refs and whoever else gives you junk because of those hits." That's all that should happen here.

Old
04-12-2013, 03:40 PM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howboutthempanthers View Post
As long as someone talks to Erik about that hit and says, "you keep right on hitting them Erik. That's not you with the issues, that's them. That's refs and whoever else gives you junk because of those hits." That's all that should happen here.

Old
04-12-2013, 04:08 PM
IceManCat
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Panther View Post
Close. A "Match Penalty" is identical to a "Game Misconduct" in the fact they both result in immediate ejection of the player. The difference between the two is that while a "Game Misconduct" carries no PIMs with it, a "Match Penalty" carries a 5-min major. There are also significant differences in the way they are reviewed as well.

Here is a pretty good description of the difference between the two.

haha thanks never knew that, still a B*****t call lol

Old
04-12-2013, 04:22 PM
THE Florida Panthers
Potvin Forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howboutthempanthers View Post
1000 times this! He was drafted third overall because he's a man-child. He's starting to throw big hits and getting ejected. People are supposed to fear him. That's part of his game.

Old
04-12-2013, 05:39 PM
PSLguy
#catsarecoming

Well I am glad we missed the game last night. I DVR'd it but got in the car during the third period, heard the score, and deleted it when we got home!

On anther topic, the Larry the Cable Guy/Bill Engvall show at the BB&T Center last night was pretty funny!

Old
04-12-2013, 06:32 PM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

vCash: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManCat View Post
haha thanks never knew that, still a B*****t call lol
No prob. It was a BS call for sure. It's what is commonly referred to as a "big man penalty." The size is so drastic that there's pretty much no way for the hit to be anywhere else but high. The fact that a Match was called worries me because it basically means he's suspended until they can review it.

Old
04-12-2013, 07:56 PM
angry_treefrog
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Panther View Post
No prob. It was a BS call for sure. It's what is commonly referred to as a "big man penalty." The size is so drastic that there's pretty much no way for the hit to be anywhere else but high. The fact that a Match was called worries me because it basically means he's suspended until they can review it.
I'm confused? Are we wanting to win games at this point for some reason? It seems like our competition (I'm looking at you Carolina) is dropping faster than Greg Louganis with an anchor duct taped to his back.

Closed Thread