HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Discussion Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
04-12-2013, 09:38 PM
Jack de la Hoya

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
For those posters on here that were high on Zadorov here's a report from an OHL scout about his recent play:

Source: Sean Lafortune @SeanLafortune
Good to know there are additional options there.

Between Nurse, Ristolainen, and Zadorov, it seems there should be a decent 2/3-type guy available between picks 6 and 10. Not the franchise type we need, perhaps, but and important supporting piece going forward.

Old
04-12-2013, 09:39 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Well, I think that part of it is right, but developing a player occurs at the NHL level as well, and a guy like Coburn has shown relatively little progression since coming here (to, uh, put it mildly).

That said, Jones looks like a stud, and I'm sure he would be one here, if we somehow manage to luck our way into winning the lottery.
It's just really hard to make this statement though. We really just don't have enough high picks to indicate a pattern of failure.

Old
04-12-2013, 09:41 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Oh definitely. If we win the lottery and Jones isn't the pick, the fans here will riot--and rightfully so.
Nah, we need to take the best player. If that is Jones, so be it.

The draft is not the place to fill needs, its the place to increase organizational depth/strength.

Old
04-12-2013, 10:01 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
For those posters on here that were high on Zadorov here's a report from an OHL scout about his recent play:

Source: Sean Lafortune @SeanLafortune

Prongo is going to owe me that case of beer

04-12-2013, 10:15 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Haha, apprently not. My bad.
My reply was pretty vague.

Old
04-12-2013, 10:29 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
Nah, we need to take the best player. If that is Jones, so be it.

The draft is not the place to fill needs, its the place to increase organizational depth/strength.
That is correct. You do not reach or you will get screwed every time.

Old
04-12-2013, 11:09 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
2nd round?

Scouts have him in the 15-25 range and I don't remember hearing anything about his stock dropping
Eh my mistake. Saw two mocks had him placed at 24 and 27. A lot of players drop into the 2nd round. Also even of the is a Russian in NA, the Russian stock also takes a toll on draft. He will prob will go first but just like other 1st round talent like last season (Aberg, Colberg) etc etc, always a chance they drop.

Old
04-13-2013, 10:10 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Big night for the draft.

Depending on the results, the Flyers could be as "low" as 1 point from 3rd overall or as "high" as 9th.

VAN v. COL
TB v. WSH
BOS v. CAR
PIT v. FLA
CGY v. EDM (it would be nice if this was a CGY OT win)

EDIT: For what it is worth, if we lose out, we will be at least 5th overall going into the lottery--since CAR would get two points (by virtue of beating us) and CAR and TB play (meaning one team would have to jump the Flyers.

Last edited by Jack de la Hoya: 04-13-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old
04-13-2013, 10:21 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Meh. IDK about that. Most of the time I would probably agree you go BPA. But the Flyers have exactly zero prospects that are likely to be a top four defender. Ghost has a shot, but I wouldn't call it likely. If the BPA is a center not named MacKinnon or a wing not named Drouin, I think you go with a Defender over pretty much anyone else in the top ten this year, regardless of BPA. If the BPA is Barkov or Lindholm (or Nichuskin) I think the Flyers would still go with Nurse, Zadorov, Pulock, or Ristolainen. I personally think Barkov and Lindholm are higher ceiling guys than the aforementioned defenders. But the Flyers have no need for a high ceiling center. They have 73 of them. Going BPA is normally the way to go, but not this year with this team.

The Flyers desperately need defensive prospects. Everyone talks about patience and asset management and how poor the Flyers are with those two things. Well taking a "lesser" defenseman instead of the BPA is not bad asset management and is also a sign of patience. Bad asset management and lack of patience would be drafting a Center when you have a glut of centers, then likely trading him or moving him to wing and hoping he fits in. They have to go defense in the first round unless they pick in the top three and Jones is gone.

Old
04-13-2013, 10:24 AM
Jack de la Hoya

The BPA thing can get overplayed. I think you take the player with the highest grade--sure--but if two players have similar grades, I don't see a problem with taking organizational need into account.

Thus, based on consensus lists, you probably take Barkov over anyone other than the big three, but you could reasonably take Nurse over Lindholm or Monahan.

Old
04-13-2013, 10:28 AM
TheKingPin

I know I'm late to the draft talk as I just looked up the odds scheme and had no idea that we could still get the top pick eventhough it may only be 0.5% chance. That would be so phenomenal.

Also looking at the standings I can't believe that edm has a chance at first overall as well. That is just embarrassing for that franchise although exciting for its fans for at least a few months.

Old
04-13-2013, 10:30 AM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
How is Seth jones a reach in ANY way shape or form? He is the BPA. No doubt about it.

Old
04-13-2013, 11:00 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Does Nurse project to have a significantly better offensive game than Coburn?

EDIT: I mean, than Coburn was projected to have when he was drafted. In other words, how similar are the two players as draft-eligible defensive prospects.

Coburn was viewed as a big, strong, mobile defenseman with questionable offensive upside, right?. Nurse seems to have an edge to his game--his highlight reals are mostly composed of fights--but aren't some of the weaknesses the same?

Despite a few early career signs to the contrary, Coburn never developed his offensive game, but I'm curious as to what in Nurse's game makes him more safely project to an offensive force in the NHL.

Last edited by Jack de la Hoya: 04-13-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Old
04-13-2013, 11:01 AM
Flyers2point0

Quote:
Meh. IDK about that. Most of the time I would probably agree you go BPA. But the Flyers have exactly zero prospects that are likely to be a top four defender. Ghost has a shot, but I wouldn't call it likely. If the BPA is a center not named MacKinnon or a wing not named Drouin, I think you go with a Defender over pretty much anyone else in the top ten this year, regardless of BPA. If the BPA is Barkov or Lindholm (or Nichuskin) I think the Flyers would still go with Nurse, Zadorov, Pulock, or Ristolainen. I personally think Barkov and Lindholm are higher ceiling guys than the aforementioned defenders. But the Flyers have no need for a high ceiling center. They have 73 of them. Going BPA is normally the way to go, but not this year with this team.

The Flyers desperately need defensive prospects. Everyone talks about patience and asset management and how poor the Flyers are with those two things. Well taking a "lesser" defenseman instead of the BPA is not bad asset management and is also a sign of patience. Bad asset management and lack of patience would be drafting a Center when you have a glut of centers, then likely trading him or moving him to wing and hoping he fits in. They have to go defense in the first round unless they pick in the top three and Jones is gone.
I agree, and I don't think the way to address our issues on D is through a trade. The market for d men is ridiculous and we'd have to overpay and give up more than just a top prospect. If we draft another center in the first I really don't see how we're going to improve our D without giving up at least two quality prospects and/or high picks that we need. Especially with where we are this year and who is available. While some of the forwards may have a higher upside than some of the d men you mentioned, I don't think the gap is huge.

Old
04-13-2013, 11:07 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Does Nurse project to have a significantly better offensive game than Coburn?
Of course

Old
04-13-2013, 11:17 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Of course
Yeah, that wasn't phrased well. My question is more about Coburn as a defensive prospect in 2003, not Coburn of today.

Old
04-13-2013, 11:18 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Nope. BPA. A sign of patience would be not trading our draft picks, for the next 5 years.

The draft is not the place to fill needs, unless as you say the stars align.

Old
04-13-2013, 11:20 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
How is Seth jones a reach in ANY way shape or form? He is the BPA. No doubt about it.
hmm, at #1, i think its Mac.

Old
04-13-2013, 11:21 AM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

How about this question: who would you rather have, Darnell Nurse or Brandon Gormley?

Old
04-13-2013, 11:23 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
hmm, at #1, i think its Mac.
Most scouts would seem to disagree with you.

Quote:
How about this question: who would you rather have, Darnell Nurse or Brandon Gormley?
Nurse seems like the more dynamic player, but he's years away from contributing at an NHL level. Gormley could step in next season and has a similar ceiling--a 2/3 type, right?

That said, I wouldn't move the 6th overall for Gormley, so I have no idea.

Old
04-13-2013, 11:23 AM
FlyingPhilly
Laine Train

Quote:
I would say Nurse because we won't need to give up assets if we draft him while Gormley will cost at minimum a decent amount.

Old
04-13-2013, 11:26 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2point0 View Post
I agree, and I don't think the way to address our issues on D is through a trade. The market for d men is ridiculous and we'd have to overpay and give up more than just a top prospect. If we draft another center in the first I really don't see how we're going to improve our D without giving up at least two quality prospects and/or high picks that we need. Especially with where we are this year and who is available. While some of the forwards may have a higher upside than some of the d men you mentioned, I don't think the gap is huge.
We are screwed for next year. Just accept that. Even if we get Jones...the pressure and expectation on him next year would be INSANE to put on a 19 yr old.

Its critical that we start rebuilding the DEPTH of this organization. And that means 3 years + of not trading picks and scouting like mofos and getting hits.

If we drafted say Mac, we season him appropriately, move him up, and if he is the better player when he gets "blocked", trade Schenn or Couts or something for a kings ransom.

Old
04-13-2013, 11:26 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhilly View Post
I would say Nurse because we won't need to give up assets if we draft him while Gormley will cost at minimum a decent amount.
Agreed.

Old
04-13-2013, 11:28 AM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Nurse. Much higher upside.

Old
04-13-2013, 11:30 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhilly View Post
I'm guessing that he is hinting at swapping the pick that would be used for Nurse straight across for Gormley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Nurse. Much higher upside.
Both are projected as top-pairing-but-not-#1 guys, no?

Closed Thread