HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How's Luke Schenn doing?

Old
04-12-2013, 07:22 PM
MiniMoose

vCash: 500
How's Luke Schenn doing?

I was looking at the stats and I found Schenn on top of the Flyers defense with a +2. Obviously plus/minus is a bogus stat but it is refreshing seeing him positive after all those years as a minus player. So how is he playing? Is he what you guys hoped for?

MiniMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 07:26 PM
Mgkibbles

I like him a lot. Hands of stone, but he's a much better skater after dropping some pounds in the offseason. Works perfectly paired with Timonen.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 07:26 PM
Krishna

He's been great. Probably our most consistent d man and is playing like a good 2/3 d man

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 07:51 PM
Reduxs

I don't think you'll find anyone around here who will complain about him. He's been good this year and has quickly turned into my favorite player. So far it looks like it's been a great trade for both teams, and hopefully it stays that way.

Reduxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 07:52 PM
Flyerfan4life

yea ive def. been happy with the trade..

dont miss JVR at all..

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 07:54 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Probably our 2nd best defender defending wise. Timonen has been our top offensive defender and Grossmann our best defensive defender.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 08:11 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

: laugh:

This is becoming a bi-weekly tradition

04-12-2013, 08:12 PM
FlyingPhilly

I have a complaint about LSchenn. I don't like how he sometimes thinks he is a PMD and tries moving the puck up the ice by himself only to lose it. He has done this quite a few times. Otherwise, he has been pretty solid. I wish his skating was better, but what can you do?

FlyingPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 08:51 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
I like him a lot. Hands of stone, but he's a much better skater after dropping some pounds in the offseason. Works perfectly paired with Timonen.
He's been the anchor of him and Lauridsen's pair lately. I think Schenn's handled that role pretty well covering up for Lauridsen's errors.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 09:13 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
He has improved his play throughout the season also. He was hitting everything that moved which put him out of position to start the season and now he seems to be picking his spots more which is a good thing. D-men shouldn't be out there hitting everything that moves because that leaves too many openings.

Either way it is a win win trade for both teams.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 09:30 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Hands of stone is a little extreme...he isn't that bad. He's no PMD, but he's not any worse than Coburn with the puck.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 10:26 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Love the guy. You can build a defense with him in mind. He is not a number one but a guy who will lead by example. Hits, block shots and stands up for his team mates. I am glad we have him.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 10:29 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Love the guy. You can build a defense with him in mind. He is not a number one but a guy who will lead by example. Hits, block shots and stands up for his team mates. I am glad we have him.
If I had to pick a Flyers' MVP this year, I'd pick Luke. He shows up to compete, hits everything in sight, eats up big minutes. He always skated better than he got credit for and his composure with the puck is very good. Good outlet passes and gets his shots through.

Took a slapshot in the head, got 10 stitches and came back out. What more can you say, he's a stud. And his brother is going to be really good too. Already is, but when he's 22 and man-strong, watch out for Brayden.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 10:31 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
If I had to pick a Flyers' MVP this year, I'd pick Luke. He shows up to compete, hits everything in sight, eats up big minutes. He always skated better than he got credit for and his composure with the puck is very good. Good outlet passes and gets his shots through.

Took a slapshot in the head, got 10 stitches and came back out. What more can you say, he's a stud. And his brother is going to be really good too. Already is, but when he's 22 and man-strong, watch out for Brayden.
I was told that title is reserved for Bryzgalov.

Old
04-12-2013, 10:33 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I was told that title is reserved for Bryzgalov.
It's a toss up for me.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 10:36 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
It's a toss up for me.
I was just kidding. I would probably go with Jake or Grossmann but Luke would definitely get an honorable mention from me. He's the gold standard for what it is to be a great teammate.

Old
04-13-2013, 12:24 AM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

I think overall he's been steady on the backend considering all the turmoil b/c of injuries. He is definitely not a PMD and when he tries to do too much with the puck he gets himself into trouble like Toronto fans noted. I'm pretty content with him and I think he'll only get better. The trade has worked out for both teams. We def needed a D man but I still wish somehow we could have kept JVR. He's a good 5 on 5 player and can open the ice when he's got his skating game going..something we don't have enough of. Only G and Voracek can do it on a consistent basis. Let's not even talk about the D....obviously Timonen is the only thing we got back there.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 02:06 AM
Danko
...the way she goes

vCash: 420
Grossmann is underappreciated
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Probably our 2nd best defender defending wise. Timonen has been our top offensive defender and Grossmann our best defensive defender.

Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 02:12 AM
clap bomb 16

Eh he's been ok but people here seem to think he's better then he really is. I like the physical presence he brings but his turnovers in the defensive zone are AWFUL and it happens at least once a game with him. He's had to play a lot of minutes lately because of the injuries and he hasn't been awful but I think alot of people on this board just don't want to even acknowledge the success that JVR is having right now.

clap bomb 16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 02:49 AM
OzFlyers
Registered Boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie 1 Parent View Post
Eh he's been ok but people here seem to think he's better then he really is. I like the physical presence he brings but his turnovers in the defensive zone are AWFUL and it happens at least once a game with him. He's had to play a lot of minutes lately because of the injuries and he hasn't been awful but I think alot of people on this board just don't want to even acknowledge the success that JVR was having.
JVR has cooled off quite a bit recently.

OzFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 11:58 AM
clap bomb 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzFlyer View Post
JVR has cooled off quite a bit recently.
Still can't deny the success he's had this year. He's been way better then Luke Schenn has. I really don't know why people are denying it. Likes turnovers are worse then Matt Carles but for some reason people are in denial.

clap bomb 16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 12:28 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

I really think Pronger mentoring him has done alot for schenns game. He doesn't take himself out of position NEARLY as often as he did earlier in the season and in his days with the leafs. His decision making with and without the puck has improved and his footwork and skating has gotten a lot better with his slimming down.

If he continues playing like this and getting better (he's still so young for a defenseman) he can certainly become a #2 shutdown defenseman in this league. I'd argue that he's been our best defenseman all year.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 12:49 PM
JVR21
G

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie 1 Parent View Post
Still can't deny the success he's had this year. He's been way better then Luke Schenn has. I really don't know why people are denying it. Likes turnovers are worse then Matt Carles but for some reason people are in denial.
Luke is vastly superior to Carle in the defensive zone, though.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 12:55 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Luke is vastly superior to Carle in the defensive zone, though.
I'd rather have him on offense as well, since he can actually shoot.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 01:09 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Only thing matt Carle is good at is his first pass and keeping the puck in the offensive zone. He's subpar at literally everything else.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote