HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Derek Dorsett

Closed Thread

Old
04-07-2013, 04:47 PM
haveandare

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the caddy View Post
Avery was the greatest troll to ever play hockey. He knew how to get under everyone's skin and the fact that he did it while being an arrogant metrosexual took it to a new level.
I laughed out loud reading this. So true.

I expect Dorsett to be less of a psychological troll and more of a physical presence. I'm fine with that. Avery had his day, but he became a bit of a sideshow at times. I'd rather have another Prust like player.

Old
04-12-2013, 09:47 PM
gocbj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
His youth is very attractive. He has some maturing to do that bodes well for us.
...which is why he gets worked in most fights. I think they have him listed at 6' and 187 or something like that. I've played golf with him several times and the guy can't be more than about 5'9 and 165.

He means well and will fight anyone...but...

It is unfortunate for us (CBJ), but all we have had since Shelley are guys that will fight (Boll and Dorsett) - not guys that win fights and truly intimidate other teams. You guys would be best off putting Dorsett on the 3rd line and telling him to fight 5 times / year and just go score 12 and 30 - which he can.

Old
04-12-2013, 10:13 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
If I had to take a guess, Dorse is closer to guys like Kaleta than he is to Avery. Avery was never a guy who would go out and dominate guys physically, dirty or not. He was much more methodical in his trolling. Dorse seems like he plays on the borderline of clean/dirty.
no way.. Dorsett had over 200 pim.. when has Kaleta even came close to that.. Kaleta rarely fights... Dorsett is more like Tootoo than Kaleta..

he did his job here. got Ovi off of the ice. if he can do that here he will be a big fan favorite in no time..

Last edited by Punxrocknyc19*: 04-12-2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old
04-12-2013, 10:59 PM
Green Blob*

I really hope we have him back for the last 3 games or so...those could be some HUGE games.

Old
04-13-2013, 12:07 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Blob View Post
I really hope we have him back for the last 3 games or so...those could be some HUGE games.
him + staal coming back is going to be so big.. hopefully they make it while we still have hope. more confident in staal coming back than dorsett though. torts didn't sound hopeful

Old
04-13-2013, 12:22 AM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

I'm beyond pumped to see him play. I think he's going to be the most effective piece of the package we received in the Gaborik trade.

He hits, hits, and hits some more. That combined with his hard-working attitude is going to be infectious throughout the lineup. And he's only 26.

I think a lot of the people that didn't/still don't like the Gaborik trade will feel a lot better once he gets in the lineup.

Old
04-13-2013, 05:22 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

he is a more skilled version as Prust. I think Dorsett can score 15 goals here.. he scored 10 and over 235 pim on the Jackets a few years ago. Dorsett has some talent here.. a bit more than he did on the Jackets.. i guess he will have a career year here.

Old
04-13-2013, 08:02 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Blob View Post
for sure, any news ? I think he can really help in the playoffs. Assuming they can get in

Old
04-13-2013, 09:23 AM
MacTruck
In Gordie We Trust

I REALLY want to see a Hagelin-Brassard-Dorsett 3rd line

Old
04-13-2013, 09:43 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTruck View Post
I REALLY want to see a Hagelin-Brassard-Dorsett 3rd line
Agreed.

Nash-Step-Cally
Clowe-Richards-Zucc
Hags-Brass-Dorsett
Powe-Boyle-Asham
Pyatt

Staal-Girardi
McD-Stralman
MDZ-Moore
Eminger

That's a pretty deep, pretty well deployed line-up.

Old
04-13-2013, 09:44 AM
richardsequalscup*

Dorsett is not a 3rd line player. You don't put the skill of a Hagelin and Brassard with a Dorsett. That makes no sense. What would be an ideal line would be Kreider or Fast on that line. Even Miller. Not Dorsett.

Old
04-13-2013, 09:48 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by setkreiderfree View Post
Dorsett is not a 3rd line player. You don't put the skill of a Hagelin and Brassard with a Dorsett. That makes no sense. What would be an ideal line would be Kreider or Fast on that line. Even Miller. Not Dorsett.
What is your definition of a 3rd line player?

Old
04-13-2013, 10:11 AM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:
Um yes he is. If you think he's going to get "Torts 4th Line Minutes" you're so wrong. He'll be playing 12+ minutes a night, easily.

Old
04-13-2013, 10:54 AM
richardsequalscup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Lito View Post
Um yes he is. If you think he's going to get "Torts 4th Line Minutes" you're so wrong. He'll be playing 12+ minutes a night, easily.
It's pointless arguing with you if you believe that. Check his career statistics. His career high in points is 20. He's not a 3rd line player. Torts will not be coaching this team next season if he doesn't get out of the first round of the playoffs.

Those close to Sather would tell you that he wasn't very happy with the way Torts handled Chris Kreider this season. He feels Kreider is a huge part of the team going forward and felt Torts was responsible for his play regressing at the NHL level. It's also pretty well known that Sather is pretty big fan of a couple of coaches that currently aren't coaching. Who that is you can figure out on your own. It's not difficult if you know who he respects around the league.

Old
04-13-2013, 11:23 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
I'm beyond pumped to see him play. I think he's going to be the most effective piece of the package we received in the Gaborik trade.

He hits, hits, and hits some more. That combined with his hard-working attitude is going to be infectious throughout the lineup. And he's only 26.

I think a lot of the people that didn't/still don't like the Gaborik trade will feel a lot better once he gets in the lineup.
I just can't see this, at all.

Sure, he plays hard. That's great, and I hope he kicks ass.

But, his career high in points is 20, and he's coming off an injury.

Old
04-13-2013, 11:24 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
It's pointless arguing with you if you believe that. Check his career statistics. His career high in points is 20. He's not a 3rd line player. Torts will not be coaching this team next season if he doesn't get out of the first round of the playoffs.

Those close to Sather would tell you that he wasn't very happy with the way Torts handled Chris Kreider this season. He feels Kreider is a huge part of the team going forward and felt Torts was responsible for his play regressing at the NHL level. It's also pretty well known that Sather is pretty big fan of a couple of coaches that currently aren't coaching. Who that is you can figure out on your own. It's not difficult if you know who he respects around the league.
Just to be clear--some of Sather's coaching decisions from the past were pure and unadulterated *****. Ron Low--Bryan Trottier. Sather's track record for us pre-lockout--whether administrative or player decisions was a-w-f-u-l. The implementation of the cap did him a world of good. Forced the team to cut bait and work on developing their own. Moving up a player development guy like Tom Renney helped as well--for a time.

And whether or not Tortorella is to blame to some degree for Kreider's less than spectacular first pro season--Chris at least has to take part of the blame himself. He's had a tendency throughout college and into his first pro season of starting slow. It may be that Torts felt he didn't have the luxury in a shortened season with no training camp of sticking with a young obviously struggling rookie while the team itself was off to a slow start.

As for potential Torts replacements if that does happen--no ****ing Lindy Ruff.

Old
04-13-2013, 01:15 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
I think the intent is that for sure but he is likely going to be used like Prust was in that he got his minutes on the 3rd line but also played some 4th and I read Dorsett can PK?

Have to think Miller and Kreider are going to play next yr full time. Maybe just one

top 6 will be a Richards, Stepan, Nash, Clowe, Callahan and then say Zuc or Kreider

bottom 6 will be Hagelin, Brassard, Dorsett, Powe , Asham then Miller or Fast

Boyle and Pyatt should be moved with the cap the way it is

Old
04-13-2013, 01:27 PM
DMPD
Mats, Zuke of NY

Quote:
Dorsett will be a Torts favorite and will probably float between the 3rd & 4th line. If he lives up to the hype, he'll be the new Prust.

Ideally if this was a cup contending squad full of depth, yes he would be on the 4th line with Boyle and another complimentary player. Unfortunately until prospects, or FA come in and push those players in to their appropriate roles, they will be used as serviceable plugs on the 3rd line at times.

rip
Old
04-13-2013, 01:31 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Salivating at the thought of replacing Pyatt in the lineup with Dorsett.

04-13-2013, 03:03 PM
Pizza

One thing you can take to the bank with Dorse. You will notice him out there. He's not a passenger and you will never take him for one.

Old
04-13-2013, 04:44 PM
gocbj

Quote:

Actually he is a good 3rd line guy. He is very disciplined and responsible defensively. Played a lot on the PK and even a lot on our 2nd and 3rd line. I know, we are the blue Jackets... My point is he is not the 200 PIM guy he has been forced to be as a CBJ. As I mentioned before, tell him to fight 5 times a year (not 20) and he will score you 15 / 25. Honestly, a lot like Ryan Kesler did a couple of years ago when they told him to stop chirping and start playing.

Old
04-13-2013, 04:47 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Torts will not be coaching this team next season if he doesn't get out of the first round of the playoffs.
I think you're going to want to change your prediction.

Old
04-13-2013, 06:52 PM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:

Kreider shoulders just as much, if not more, blame than Torts for how his season has went.

Old
04-13-2013, 10:13 PM
richardsequalscup*

Quote:
Kreider shoulders just as much, if not more, blame than Torts for how his season has went.
Kreider was lazy to start this season. He deserved to be sent down. The second time he played hard and Torts treated him like garbage. He had no excuse for banishing him to the 4th line his second time around. He rewarded players who stunk and had done nothing all season. He has done that a lot as Rangers coach.

Dorsett is not a 3rd line player. It just goes to show you how low the expectations have become by NY Rangers fans of what a third line player should be. A third line player should not have a career high of 20 points. That is not a third line player. This organization with Fast, Miller, Kreider and Thomas in the minors does not need to embarrass themselves by putting a player like Dorsett on the 3rd line.

People might say. Yeah, we put Prust on the third line. Yeah, the team was incompetent offensively. The third line was a disgrace which never scored.

Old
04-13-2013, 10:18 PM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:
Kreider was lazy to start this season. He deserved to be sent down. The second time he played hard and Torts treated him like garbage. He had no excuse for banishing him to the 4th line his second time around. He rewarded players who stunk and had done nothing all season. He has done that a lot as Rangers coach.

Dorsett is not a 3rd line player. It just goes to show you how low the expectations have become by NY Rangers fans of what a third line player should be. A third line player should not have a career high of 20 points. That is not a third line player. This organization with Fast, Miller, Kreider and Thomas in the minors does not need to embarrass themselves by putting a player like Dorsett on the 3rd line.

People might say. Yeah, we put Prust on the third line. Yeah, the team was incompetent offensively. The third line was a disgrace which never scored.
Career high...playing in Columbus.

And don't get caught up in actual lines, especially with Torts as coach. I view the "lines" in terms of minutes. Regardless of who you'd like to put on paper as the third line, Dorse is going to get third line minutes.

Closed Thread