HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharpy

Old
04-12-2013, 10:55 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

vCash: 500
Sharpy

I looked for a older Sharp thread, didn't find it. Guy used to be one of my favorite players. I know he's coming off injury but he has been off for a while. Going back to the playoffs last year he's fighting it on a routine basis.

With the cap going down this is a contract I think the Hawks regret. He has a NMC but if he didn't is this the 1st guy the Hawks should move in the off-season for more flexibility? Would you rather keep Stalberg & Bickell if the trade off was Sharp. Team is stacked already with young wingers. Who knows, maybe he wouldn't mind playing closer to his home town.

HawksFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 11:01 PM
Hawks82

I didn't like the 5/5.9 last year when he got it and I like it even less going forward.

Hawks82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 11:03 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
He has been off but an encouraging sign to see is that his speed which IMO was lacking early in year is back with time off

If he can start to get into a groove right before playoffs he could be huge for Hawks

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 11:14 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
He has been off but an encouraging sign to see is that his speed which IMO was lacking early in year is back with time off

If he can start to get into a groove right before playoffs he could be huge for Hawks
Agreed. I'm normally not a huge fan of his, but he looks fast right now.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 12:45 AM
Tayvaan

I actually thought sharp was playing really well the week or two before his injury but was awfully snakebit. He is shooting at half his career average this year, that's going to pick up at some point. A players shooting ability does not simply drop off like that.

In any case Sharp has proven too much for us to get rid of him after a season as unusual as this one.

Tayvaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 01:03 AM
Gurth

I think it's pretty obvious seeing him back how important he is to the team. We're better with him whether he is scoring or not. He'll come around.

Reminds a lot of all the complaining about Campbell and his contract. So many wanted to dump him and then he came back just in the nick of time in that Nashville series.

Gurth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 01:16 AM
LandofLincoln

No doubt his goals are down. Assists are still at high level.

I still think Sharp is the best option at 2nd line center. With his production being down either Q or Stan needs to tell him hey you are the 2nd line center for the playoffs. Even if they have no intentions of playing him there give him the ultimatum. If he is unwilling to play in the middle. I would ask him to move his trade rights.

I'd rather keep Sharp he doesn't need to be a 30G player, but we need minimum next season 25G 25A from him.

Bolland is the player I move in the off season. I would resign Bickell, Stalberg, Rozsival & Emery. Crawford is worth his contract, and if Emery takes the reigns in the playoffs I find a way to keep Emery with a raise and move Crawford before next season.

LandofLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 03:21 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Sharp doesn't want to play center, what he is OK with is taking draws from the left wing spot. So fine, have him take FO and have Kruger or Bolland in the middle and allow Sharp and the other winger to create the goals.

For as much crap as Sharp and Bolland took this year with them on the 2nd line together with Kane the team is undefeated in regulation. Just a thought.

Last edited by Sir Psycho T: 04-13-2013 at 06:41 AM.
Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 06:51 AM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurth View Post
I think it's pretty obvious seeing him back how important he is to the team. We're better with him whether he is scoring or not. He'll come around.

Reminds a lot of all the complaining about Campbell and his contract. So many wanted to dump him and then he came back just in the nick of time in that Nashville series.
Agreed.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 08:17 AM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandofLincoln View Post
No doubt his goals are down. Assists are still at high level.

I still think Sharp is the best option at 2nd line center. With his production being down either Q or Stan needs to tell him hey you are the 2nd line center for the playoffs. Even if they have no intentions of playing him there give him the ultimatum. If he is unwilling to play in the middle. I would ask him to move his trade rights.

I'd rather keep Sharp he doesn't need to be a 30G player, but we need minimum next season 25G 25A from him.

Bolland is the player I move in the off season. I would resign Bickell, Stalberg, Rozsival & Emery. Crawford is worth his contract, and if Emery takes the reigns in the playoffs I find a way to keep Emery with a raise and move Crawford before next season.
Even with moving Bolland the Hawks don't have enough cap room next year to do all that.

Old
04-13-2013, 08:48 AM
zytz
lumberjack

Sharp is important to the team... with new cap the contract is maybe a little high, but not terrible by any stretch. He's a legit 1LW right now have an uncharacteristicly off year (still .75 PPG though or close I think) ... mostly we are just missing his scoring right now... but again uncharacteristic 6% shooting percentage this season.

He's a player that knows how to play a smart game, so I wouldn't worry about him dropping off too much as he ages... he'll slow down, start scoring less, but he will always be a great leader for this team, and will always be a threat on the ice.

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 09:31 AM
xX Hot Fuss

Bowman is not, nor should he, going to trade sharp

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 09:41 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

not worried about Sharp. He was off before the injury but still scored at a good pace. Now he is back and watching him play, his game will come back soon. He'll be ready for the POs and will help us. He is young enough to keep him and one of the better 2 way WINGERS in the league.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 10:16 AM
moose vasko

There is a case to be made for either moving Sharp or buying out Hossa after next season. What happens will depend on cap space, progress of the younger guys, play of 10/81, contracts for 19/88, chances for winning, etc. It is pure and simple a business decision and management absolutely has to take a hard look at it, especially in the case of Hossa, as it will play a big role in what the club looks like for years to come.

moose vasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 11:22 AM
Marotte Marauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose vasko View Post
There is a case to be made for either moving Sharp or buying out Hossa after next season. What happens will depend on cap space, progress of the younger guys, play of 10/81, contracts for 19/88, chances for winning, etc. It is pure and simple a business decision and management absolutely has to take a hard look at it, especially in the case of Hossa, as it will play a big role in what the club looks like for years to come.
Exactly, if the Hawks don't make a deep run in the playoffs and/or Sharp does not perform well in the playoffs, they should shop him. No reason to keep that contract at that point.

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 11:26 AM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by zytz View Post
Sharp is important to the team... with new cap the contract is maybe a little high, but not terrible by any stretch. He's a legit 1LW right now have an uncharacteristicly off year (still .75 PPG though or close I think) ... mostly we are just missing his scoring right now... but again uncharacteristic 6% shooting percentage this season.

He's a player that knows how to play a smart game, so I wouldn't worry about him dropping off too much as he ages... he'll slow down, start scoring less, but he will always be a great leader for this team, and will always be a threat on the ice.
How many people thought Keith's seemingly low 4% shooting percentage would continue after 10-11? Last year it went down again to sub 3, and there it remains.

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 01:11 PM
topnotch

This thread is a joke right? Sharp's contract is perfectly fair for a 1st line winger who has averaged 30+ goals for the previous 5 seasons. I guarantee their aren't many players who can make that claim.

Getzlaf and Perry have shown that players (and agents) don't care that the cap is going down. I think we'll see more of this again in FA. 1st line players cost money. It's a simple reality.

Sharp's contract is not costing the Hawks any players they can't replace within their prospect pool.

topnotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 01:57 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by topnotch View Post
This thread is a joke right? Sharp's contract is perfectly fair for a 1st line winger who has averaged 30+ goals for the previous 5 seasons. I guarantee their aren't many players who can make that claim.

Getzlaf and Perry have shown that players (and agents) don't care that the cap is going down. I think we'll see more of this again in FA. 1st line players cost money. It's a simple reality.

Sharp's contract is not costing the Hawks any players they can't replace within their prospect pool.
He's a winger that can do pretty much one thing, snipe when he's on and he can't even do that lately. Sharp is a great guy to have on a team for 5.9 but when you have Hossa/Keith tied up long term and Toews/Kane due in a couple years it becomes a concern. Toews and Kane are going to get huge contracts. Saying Sharp's contract is fair based on what he did in the past means nothing. It's about what he's doing now and will in the future.

Sharp is the easiest guy to replace on the core IMO. If he could play center it would be another story. Have you guys been watching him play the past year? He was a complete disaster in the playoffs and not just offensively. Turning pucks over and getting burned on D. Sharp has also been playing with Kane all year.

Last edited by HawksFan74: 04-13-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old
04-13-2013, 02:19 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Sharp has a NMC ,, He wont be going anywhere anytime soon no matter what haters want

Old
04-13-2013, 02:24 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Sharp has a NMC ,, He wont be going anywhere anytime soon no matter what haters want
So do other guys and they do waive them.

Old
04-13-2013, 02:26 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
So do other guys and they do waive them.
Name last time a guy waived NMC 1 yr into a 5 yr deal and to get traded away from a 1st place team?

Hawks lost a lot in lockeroom after cap purges ,, They will dump deadweight like Dave Bolland long before moving a good player like Patrick Sharp

Old
04-13-2013, 02:37 PM
topnotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
He's a winger that can do pretty much one thing, snipe when he's on and he can't even do that lately. Sharp is a great guy to have on a team for 5.9 but when you have Hossa/Keith tied up long term and Toews/Kane due in a couple years it becomes a concern. Toews and Kane are going to get huge contracts. Saying Sharp's contract is fair based on what he did in the past means nothing. It's about what he's doing now and will in the future.

Sharp is the easiest guy to replace on the core IMO. If he could play center it would be another story. Have you guys been watching him play the past year? He was a complete disaster in the playoffs and not just offensively. Turning pucks over and getting burned on D. Sharp has also been playing with Kane all year.
All contracts are based on what is expected in the near future - which is extrapolated from past results. Sharp is a 30 goal 60-70 first line winger. I will take his past 5 years of performance over 1 playoff series and a little more than 1/4 of a regular season.

Sharp is the easiert guy to replace on the core, but that says more about the core than about Sharp. Also my question to anybody who wants to replace Sharp, is who replaces his production? Any UFA is going to cost just as much if not more. There are no prospects NHL ready who can project to Sharp's level (and that's projection not production).

And how is Sharp's contract hindering the Hawks? With amnesty buyouts of Olesz and Montador the Hawks have over 11 million in cap space this upcoming offseason. The following year Frolik (2.3) and Brookbank (1.25) come off as well as potentially Boland (3.4). All of this happens BEFORE Toews and Kane are due raises which by then the cap will almost certainly increase from 64.3 million.

topnotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 02:45 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Name last time a guy waived NMC 1 yr into a 5 yr deal and to get traded away from a 1st place team?

Hawks lost a lot in lockeroom after cap purges ,, They will dump deadweight like Dave Bolland long before moving a good player like Patrick Sharp
That's part of the problem with Stan. If a guy is going to get full value and not give a hometown discount (as Sharp got), then you have no business giving them a NMC. It should be one or the other...not both.

That being said - I'm not interested in moving Sharp. Yeah he's been a bit off the last year. I think he will right the ship. I don't see a need to move any core guys.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 02:48 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Sharp if he went to UFA would have gotten 6.5M easy on market ,, He took a discount to stay in Chicago

Sharp would have been #1 FA on market and would have had teams fighting for him

Old
04-13-2013, 02:57 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Sharp if he went to UFA would have gotten 6.5M easy on market ,, He took a discount to stay in Chicago

Sharp would have been #1 FA on market and would have had teams fighting for him
6.5 to 5.9 isn't a big leap. That's not much of a hometown discount when the money is locked in and guaranteed. A hometown discount would have been signing like a 6 year deal @ 4.5 per.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote