HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Sudbury Wolves 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-10-2013, 10:03 PM
  #601
chewerjones
Registered User
 
chewerjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by djscooter View Post
He was demoted to the fourth line by the end of the game, that's really all that needs to be said. When your "star" is being iced with Thibodeau you have serious issues. He shows minimal hustle. I honestly think the people running the seat service food broke a bigger sweat then he did.
MC has never been a favourite of Trent Cull since he came there 3 years, and its not because of MC. Coach Cull has to go. No doubt about it. Instead of developing his stars back then, he has waited for them to enter their 3rd year with top end minutes. Thats not the way to develop players and a winning team.

MC fed numerous guys yesterday with golden chances and not one finished it off.

Without MC, Sudbury has no offence. Imagine the other teams playing their top Dmen on the Kubalik Line. No offence at all. Imagine Baptiste and Pancel playing with Harris. No offence at all.

This year MC almost led the team in goals, and he is the playmaker. What does that tell you? Imagine if he played with top end 94s or 95s, wow, he may have had 100pts.

He is always playing against the other team's top dmen. Led team in points, 18 game point scoring streak, and all that with 2 supbar linemates in Baptiste (north, south HOG ) and undersized Pancel. Kid has never asked for a trade even after the way that Cull has treated him over the last 3 years.

Watch Capobianco this year and his agent. If the kid doesnt get serious ice time by late next year, or early next year, he will demand a trade.

Next year, I would get rid of Silk (nice kid, but too many stupid penalties), Derochers, Thibodeau. I would trade for a top 6 goal scorer to play with MC and Baptiste. Trade some young prospects and picks for 1 or 2 veteran stay at home dmen.

chewerjones is offline  
Old
04-10-2013, 10:11 PM
  #602
chewerjones
Registered User
 
chewerjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by howlman View Post
Good post Section19, agree 100%. My question is when will Sudbury ever have a team like Belleville does this year? When will the Wolves become true contenders?

You look at the Bulls roster, look how many of their players have been acquired thru trade either from past years or from this year.. Cardwell, Quine, Graovac, Brassard, Sandlak, Austin, Worrad, Hooey ect... Burnett knows how to build a winner... Wolves don't have a clue...

To answer my own question, the only way Sudbury will be contenders next season is to acquire at least 3 veteran impact forwards (20-30 goal guys) and acquire two veteran top-4 Dmen... NOT GONNA HAPPEN... As well they need Palazzese and Raine to return as OA's and they need to acquire another impact OA. The Wolves need to pick a year and make some damn trades and go for it, either next year or the year after. To acquire some top end skill Wolves will need to trade guys like Cummins, Harris, Silk, Campagna, Vilardi, Leblanc, Spicer, boat load of draft picks.
Sudbury has a young team and should be a contender the next few years. They traded all their veterans and stars for the future. Belleville has done the opposite, and traded for older , skilled players. However, they may lose Graovac, Quine, Silas, Cramarossa, Brassard, Gaunce next year. How good will they be. You have a good team because you traded for IT. Not because you developed all the players. Just like Mississauga 3 years ago, they mortgaged the future for the Mem cup, and acquired all 19 and 20 year olds. They didnt have 1 rookie in the lineup. Owen Sound had 2-3 rookies in the lineup and they won the OHL.

chewerjones is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 08:48 AM
  #603
Section19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sudbury, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
MC has never been a favourite of Trent Cull since he came there 3 years, and its not because of MC. Coach Cull has to go. No doubt about it. Instead of developing his stars back then, he has waited for them to enter their 3rd year with top end minutes. Thats not the way to develop players and a winning team.

MC fed numerous guys yesterday with golden chances and not one finished it off.

Without MC, Sudbury has no offence. Imagine the other teams playing their top Dmen on the Kubalik Line. No offence at all. Imagine Baptiste and Pancel playing with Harris. No offence at all.

This year MC almost led the team in goals, and he is the playmaker. What does that tell you? Imagine if he played with top end 94s or 95s, wow, he may have had 100pts.

He is always playing against the other team's top dmen. Led team in points, 18 game point scoring streak, and all that with 2 supbar linemates in Baptiste (north, south HOG ) and undersized Pancel. Kid has never asked for a trade even after the way that Cull has treated him over the last 3 years.

Watch Capobianco this year and his agent. If the kid doesnt get serious ice time by late next year, or early next year, he will demand a trade.

Next year, I would get rid of Silk (nice kid, but too many stupid penalties), Derochers, Thibodeau. I would trade for a top 6 goal scorer to play with MC and Baptiste. Trade some young prospects and picks for 1 or 2 veteran stay at home dmen.
I have no idea what game you were watching but Campagna didn't feed anyone with golden chances. If that was the case, why did he finish the game on the 4th line with Thibodeau? In the third, he was in the slot, open for a shot, instead he tries passing to Pancel who had a Belleville player all over him. Campagna has NO hockey sense. There are very good reasons why he didn't get drafted and CULL IS NOT ONE OF THEM. Campagna's has had plenty of ice time to develop. The team traded away Kontos (not that he was any better) so Campagna could get 2nd line center ice time in his second season. Even Campagna admitted in a post game interview he was terrible and not a good leader. You don't build winners with players like this. He might be a good secondary scorer but he's no star.

Section19 is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 09:11 AM
  #604
Hockeyfriend
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Section19 View Post
I have no idea what game you were watching but Campagna didn't feed anyone with golden chances. If that was the case, why did he finish the game on the 4th line with Thibodeau? In the third, he was in the slot, open for a shot, instead he tries passing to Pancel who had a Belleville player all over him. Campagna has NO hockey sense. There are very good reasons why he didn't get drafted and CULL IS NOT ONE OF THEM. Campagna's has had plenty of ice time to develop. The team traded away Kontos (not that he was any better) so Campagna could get 2nd line center ice time in his second season. Even Campagna admitted in a post game interview he was terrible and not a good leader. You don't build winners with players like this. He might be a good secondary scorer but he's no star.
Cull has his favorites. 2 years ago in MC and Silk's first year, MC started on 4th line but was frequently moved to 2nd line wing. Silk was not given anything extra. Move to 2nd season, after Silk in a FULL season of play brings 9 points as a rookie, gets top 2 line minutes right from preseason out - never earned it, but was a favorite of Culls. This year, same thing and has not really developed even with more minutes than most. MC average a 3rd line minutes in his rookie season. Last year MC and Kontos were fighting for 2nd line minutes...they were virtually the same at the time and got rid of Kontos. MC then had 2nd line PP and PK minutes right away.

The point is that Cull has favorites just like all coaches. MC was kept because Cull would have some say on who was to leave...If CULL did not think highy of MC at the time then they might have traded for a true 2nd line center instead of a winger.

MC is soft. He is a perimeter player. He is never on a loose puck first. He is a PP specialist where he has room...apply pressure along boards and he is soft.

Hockeyfriend is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 02:24 PM
  #605
Section19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sudbury, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 213
vCash: 500
I posted this in another thread earlier this season:

Quote:
Someone once opened the doors in lobby of the Sudbury arena while Campagna had the puck. The breeze subsequently knocked him off the puck.
... and I still stand by this statement.

Section19 is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 04:20 PM
  #606
brahmabull
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
Sudbury has a young team and should be a contender the next few years. They traded all their veterans and stars for the future. Belleville has done the opposite, and traded for older , skilled players. However, they may lose Graovac, Quine, Silas, Cramarossa, Brassard, Gaunce next year. How good will they be. You have a good team because you traded for IT. Not because you developed all the players. Just like Mississauga 3 years ago, they mortgaged the future for the Mem cup, and acquired all 19 and 20 year olds. They didnt have 1 rookie in the lineup. Owen Sound had 2-3 rookies in the lineup and they won the OHL.

That's not 100% accurate Belleville started building for this season in 2010 following 3 straight eastern conference final appearances. In the 2009-2010, and 2010-2011 seasons Belleville was the youngest team in the OHL. They traded veteran players to aquire players like Brassard and Sandlak so they could develop them, they also aquired a bunch of high draft picks some of which were used to get the players on this current team. Plus being goaltender rich allowed them to get Austin, so they did not have to give up any picks to get a great defense man.

brahmabull is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 04:55 PM
  #607
chewerjones
Registered User
 
chewerjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Section19 View Post
I have no idea what game you were watching but Campagna didn't feed anyone with golden chances. If that was the case, why did he finish the game on the 4th line with Thibodeau? In the third, he was in the slot, open for a shot, instead he tries passing to Pancel who had a Belleville player all over him. Campagna has NO hockey sense. There are very good reasons why he didn't get drafted and CULL IS NOT ONE OF THEM. Campagna's has had plenty of ice time to develop. The team traded away Kontos (not that he was any better) so Campagna could get 2nd line center ice time in his second season. Even Campagna admitted in a post game interview he was terrible and not a good leader. You don't build winners with players like this. He might be a good secondary scorer but he's no star.
I guess those 2 golden chances by Huether in front of the net, fell from the sky. Maybe you were watching the Plymouth game.

MC doesnt get any respect, and going forward with Cull behind the bench, the Wolves will not go anywhere. CULL WILL BE FIRED AT END OF THE YEAR, OR QUIT ON HIS OWN. He has no system, and consistantly changes lines and seems to only set an example with MC. Kantor and Silk take stupid penalties that lead to goals, and he starts the next shift with them. Same thing with Sgarbossa last year. CULL IS THE PROBLEM.

chewerjones is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 05:00 PM
  #608
chewerjones
Registered User
 
chewerjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfriend View Post
Cull has his favorites. 2 years ago in MC and Silk's first year, MC started on 4th line but was frequently moved to 2nd line wing. Silk was not given anything extra. Move to 2nd season, after Silk in a FULL season of play brings 9 points as a rookie, gets top 2 line minutes right from preseason out - never earned it, but was a favorite of Culls. This year, same thing and has not really developed even with more minutes than most. MC average a 3rd line minutes in his rookie season. Last year MC and Kontos were fighting for 2nd line minutes...they were virtually the same at the time and got rid of Kontos. MC then had 2nd line PP and PK minutes right away.

The point is that Cull has favorites just like all coaches. MC was kept because Cull would have some say on who was to leave...If CULL did not think highy of MC at the time then they might have traded for a true 2nd line center instead of a winger.

MC is soft. He is a perimeter player. He is never on a loose puck first. He is a PP specialist where he has room...apply pressure along boards and he is soft.
Kontos was traded because MC didnt ask for a trade so they got rid of Kontos. Also, both were fighting for 3rd line centre time. Sgarbossa and Kantor took most of the first two lines. You draft a kid 5th overall and you keep him 4th and 3rd line in his first two years. Most playmakers are not the aggressive , rugged type players that you guys wish for. Many high end players dont go banging players all over the ice, rather concentrate on setting up players.

I agree that Silk was a favourite of Cull and the team, because he is a local area kid. Silk is a great kid, but just needs to smarten up on the ice.

chewerjones is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 05:01 PM
  #609
chewerjones
Registered User
 
chewerjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Section19 View Post
I posted this in another thread earlier this season:



... and I still stand by this statement.
I think your views are not favourable to soft, skilled players and you prefer the barbaric type of player.


Last edited by chewerjones: 04-11-2013 at 05:15 PM.
chewerjones is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 05:02 PM
  #610
chewerjones
Registered User
 
chewerjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brahmabull View Post
That's not 100% accurate Belleville started building for this season in 2010 following 3 straight eastern conference final appearances. In the 2009-2010, and 2010-2011 seasons Belleville was the youngest team in the OHL. They traded veteran players to aquire players like Brassard and Sandlak so they could develop them, they also aquired a bunch of high draft picks some of which were used to get the players on this current team. Plus being goaltender rich allowed them to get Austin, so they did not have to give up any picks to get a great defense man.
Sandlak and Brassard are not the reasons for Belleville being a contender this year. Sorry to burst your bubble. Maybe guys like Graovac, Quine, Cramarossa are doing a bit more.

chewerjones is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 06:05 PM
  #611
Hockeyfriend
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
Kontos was traded because MC didnt ask for a trade so they got rid of Kontos. Also, both were fighting for 3rd line centre time. Sgarbossa and Kantor took most of the first two lines. You draft a kid 5th overall and you keep him 4th and 3rd line in his first two years. Most playmakers are not the aggressive , rugged type players that you guys wish for. Many high end players dont go banging players all over the ice, rather concentrate on setting up players.

I agree that Silk was a favourite of Cull and the team, because he is a local area kid. Silk is a great kid, but just needs to smarten up on the ice.
Kantor was not brought in as a center to start...he was wing. Your first three centers after Kantor arrives was Sgarbossa, MC and McDonald. When McDonald was out they moved several palyers in and out as center of the 3rd line. Geez, even Silk and Schoenmakers were played in center of the 3rd line to be given extra time.
Kantor saw very limited time at center ast year, but down the stretch saw more.

To reply to another comment on here, agree...Kantor and Silk take stupid untimely penalties and are punsihed by staying on the ice and given more to make up for the ice they missed while in the box. These are the guys wearing the letters yet they can do no wrong.

Kantor - he is a liability as a center. He does not pass even when players are wide open. I like his physical play but most of the time he takes himself so far out of the play running around trying to kill someone.

Hockeyfriend is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 07:18 PM
  #612
Hockeyfriend
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 468
vCash: 500
Watching the 1st period - just ended. To answer the questions, Harris and Desroachers gone from forwards. Genovese from defence and Dupius as goalie - even after Palazzee let in a few soft goals this series Dupuis not even given a chance.

Either gone by Wolves or their choice. The rest will stay.

Hockeyfriend is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 09:00 PM
  #613
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again
 
chaosrevolver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
Sudbury has a young team and should be a contender the next few years. They traded all their veterans and stars for the future. Belleville has done the opposite, and traded for older , skilled players. However, they may lose Graovac, Quine, Silas, Cramarossa, Brassard, Gaunce next year. How good will they be. You have a good team because you traded for IT. Not because you developed all the players. Just like Mississauga 3 years ago, they mortgaged the future for the Mem cup, and acquired all 19 and 20 year olds. They didnt have 1 rookie in the lineup. Owen Sound had 2-3 rookies in the lineup and they won the OHL.
Still will have a very solid goalie (Grahame/Subban..guys we developed), Jordan Subban, Zharkov and Gaunce likely will be back, Sandlak, Simmonds, Curtis, Hooey, etc. Then you can make moves in the offseason to add a few pieces like we did during the season.

This isn't Burnett's first time around the block. He was able to keep the Bulls competitive using this method for a number of seasons. You develop a young core and add huge pieces to it through trade.

chaosrevolver is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 11:19 PM
  #614
chewerjones
Registered User
 
chewerjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfriend View Post
Kantor was not brought in as a center to start...he was wing. Your first three centers after Kantor arrives was Sgarbossa, MC and McDonald. When McDonald was out they moved several palyers in and out as center of the 3rd line. Geez, even Silk and Schoenmakers were played in center of the 3rd line to be given extra time.
Kantor saw very limited time at center ast year, but down the stretch saw more.

To reply to another comment on here, agree...Kantor and Silk take stupid untimely penalties and are punsihed by staying on the ice and given more to make up for the ice they missed while in the box. These are the guys wearing the letters yet they can do no wrong.

Kantor - he is a liability as a center. He does not pass even when players are wide open. I like his physical play but most of the time he takes himself so far out of the play running around trying to kill someone.
Agree. I forgot about McDonald, but he was injured most of last year and when he returned he played wing. HOwever, they did play Kantor, or Silk as 2nd line centre down the stretch as MC was out most of the 2nd half due to concussion.

Some rumours regarding the Wolves, is that Cull made a mess with the As on the team. They had Kantor as C and Dodero as full time ,and Campagna, Silk, Baptiste and someone else alternate between home and away. They had 7 guys in the dressing room trying to run the room,rather than 1 C and 2 As.

All I am saying is that MC is their best offensive threat, along with Baptiste and possibly Kahun and Kubalik, and until you get anything better, you have to work around them. No use throwing MC under the bus, because he isnt Sidney Crosby. All other top 5 picks in the OHL are given greater rolls and played with top end players in their first and 2nd years, except for the boys in Sudbury. Even Baptiste played 3rd and 4th line last year and he was a #5 overall pick.

Hopefully they change their thinking going forward, but with the players they picked -Capobianco, and Vilardi coming in, they will not bring grit to the table. If you thought MC was soft, then wait to you see Capobianco and Vilardi play. They will have 4 centremen- MC, Kahun, Harris and Vilardi. Not one is a tough player.

chewerjones is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 11:22 PM
  #615
chewerjones
Registered User
 
chewerjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfriend View Post
Watching the 1st period - just ended. To answer the questions, Harris and Desroachers gone from forwards. Genovese from defence and Dupius as goalie - even after Palazzee let in a few soft goals this series Dupuis not even given a chance.

Either gone by Wolves or their choice. The rest will stay.
I think Silk will want to be traded, as he will ask for more top 6 minutes and PP, and may not get it next year. He is a good kid and deserves the time, but may not find it on the wolves, especially if they keep the MC, Baptiste , Pancel line, along with Kahun, Kubalik, Schmalz line intact.

Desrochers, Thibodeau, Genovese will be traded. Cummins may be packaged with a draft pick for a veteran dman.

chewerjones is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 11:24 PM
  #616
chewerjones
Registered User
 
chewerjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
Still will have a very solid goalie (Grahame/Subban..guys we developed), Jordan Subban, Zharkov and Gaunce likely will be back, Sandlak, Simmonds, Curtis, Hooey, etc. Then you can make moves in the offseason to add a few pieces like we did during the season.

This isn't Burnett's first time around the block. He was able to keep the Bulls competitive using this method for a number of seasons. You develop a young core and add huge pieces to it through trade.
I can see your points. Their goaltending development and drafting seems to be 2nd to none.

chewerjones is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 07:59 AM
  #617
Arsenault
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 116
vCash: 500
We must put their year end performance in perspective. I do not think many fans in the middle of January after we unloaded most of our veterans imagined that we would have much of a post season let alone making it to the second round. We have one of the youngest teams in the league and the future looks promising so let's not start selling them off too quickly. Up front we have Baptiste(95), Campagna(94), Kubalik(95),KaHun(95), Silk(94), Pancel(94) all entering their prime years in the OHL. An additional summer of hard training and the experience they gained this year will translate into great things for them. Even if only 5 of those 6 make this transition this still leaves us with good fire power up front. In front we also have a few freshmen and rookies that could significantly contribute next year, Schmaltz, Vilardi, Wettlauer (not much mention about him but having a great year playing Junior B) Spicer and Peters. Even guys like Desrocher, Huether and Harris you have to realize that this was really their first full season in the league, again with a hard summer training they could come back monsters.

In D certainly we will be lacking depth, but again Dehann made some significant strides this year and Cummins, not many 96 came into the league this year and took over, with a hard training regime this summer next year could be his break out year. (lesson to remember with our expectation for Capobianco). In addition we have Raines (OA) and Genovese which will bring us some toughness and decent defensive coverage. In the wings we also have a big rookie (Eccles) which with improved skating will reinforce our team's toughness. Then we have Leblanc, points leader in Rookie defenseman in the OJHL, which could bring us the puck carrying defenseman and PP quarterback we so desperately need, or if not we should have enough excess baggage (anyone not mentioned previously,plus some good draft picks in 2014) to go get us one.

In net, our only hope is the Palazzese comes back as an over age, if not we could be in trouble, not because we don't have good prospects at this position but the experience is just not there.

This would leave us one spot for an OA D or forward, preferable a tough one which should be easy enough to get as an OA.

My two cents worth and see you next year.

Arsenault is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 08:35 AM
  #618
Section19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sudbury, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
I think your views are not favourable to soft, skilled players and you prefer the barbaric type of player.
This is hilarious. People WHO ACTUALLY KNOW ME laughed at this comment. I don't like the goons, agitators or players that try to take a players head off with a check. I like skilled players with HEART that don't give up the minute an opponent approaches them which happens all the time with Campagna. I'm a big fan of players like Leivo and Sgarbossa. Players that are top end offensive players that aren't afraid to get hit or give a clean check (which means just seperating the opponent from the puck and not putting him through the boards). Campagna has no HEART, no DETERMINATION and no DRIVE, refuses to fight through checks and gives up easily.

Pancel is smaller than Campagna and he's willing to go in the corners with the puck against bigger opponents. Pancel's willing to check opponents to get the puck. All things that Campagna is clearly afraid to do. Look at Kuchin the past two years. Skilled player who would take a hit (small or big) to make a play. Campagna fails to do this and gives up with the slightest pressure.


Last edited by Section19: 04-12-2013 at 10:37 AM.
Section19 is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 08:44 AM
  #619
Section19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sudbury, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
Kontos was traded because MC didnt ask for a trade so they got rid of Kontos. Also, both were fighting for 3rd line centre time. Sgarbossa and Kantor took most of the first two lines. You draft a kid 5th overall and you keep him 4th and 3rd line in his first two years. Most playmakers are not the aggressive , rugged type players that you guys wish for. Many high end players dont go banging players all over the ice, rather concentrate on setting up players.

I agree that Silk was a favourite of Cull and the team, because he is a local area kid. Silk is a great kid, but just needs to smarten up on the ice.
You realize that Kontos was traded even before Kantor was acquired right? Blaine Smith was even interviewed after the Kontos trade and said that they made the trade so that your beloved MC would get 2nd line center ice time. When Kantor joined the team, he was on the 3rd line.

I also fail to see why you keep complaining and coming up with excuses about MC's ice time. He played a regular shift, saw 2nd PP unit time and even saw plenty of PK time as well. He was tied for 9th in the league last year with short handed goals. Stop making excuses for a player that can only look in the mirror for not developing and not getting drafted.

Section19 is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 09:00 AM
  #620
Hockeyfriend
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Section19 View Post
You realize that Kontos was traded even before Kantor was acquired right? Blaine Smith was even interviewed after the Kontos trade and said that they made the trade so that your beloved MC would get 2nd line center ice time. When Kantor joined the team, he was on the 3rd line.

I also fail to see why you keep complaining and coming up with excuses about MC's ice time. He played a regular shift, saw 2nd PP unit time and even saw plenty of PK time as well. He was tied for 9th in the league last year with short handed goals. Stop making excuses for a player that can only look in the mirror for not developing and not getting drafted.
And to further add. MC doesn't just take a part of the PP he normally stays on for the entire 2 minutes - even well after his PP unit has changed. He will get plenty of points if he is on the ice for an average of 80% of every PP.

He has never once hustled off the ice, he actually has stopped striding a minimum of 50' from the bench. His laziness in many areas has caused many goals against because he won't back check when tired (stays on too long) or just coming to the bench to change.

Last year, he was 2nd line minutes pretty much the entire year...never pushed to 3rd when lazy...let's remember, as a 2nd year and 2nd line player he did not even get to 30 points. Yet, not at any time was he demoted. In fact when he was out and kids were moved up to play in his spot and they were winning, he was immediately put back to 2nd line and other kids demoted and we start to lose.

Anyone who says MC was not liked by Cull is full of crap. He is loved by Cull because based on the 2nd line minutes with such low production last year he would never have stayed on 2nd line.

Again, not taking away from him being very skilled and is arguably the best passer on the team...but there is too many kinks in his armor to sell everyone he is been crapped on by coach/management and scouts.

Hockeyfriend is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 10:55 PM
  #621
chewerjones
Registered User
 
chewerjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Section19 View Post
This is hilarious. People WHO ACTUALLY KNOW ME laughed at this comment. I don't like the goons, agitators or players that try to take a players head off with a check. I like skilled players with HEART that don't give up the minute an opponent approaches them which happens all the time with Campagna. I'm a big fan of players like Leivo and Sgarbossa. Players that are top end offensive players that aren't afraid to get hit or give a clean check (which means just seperating the opponent from the puck and not putting him through the boards). Campagna has no HEART, no DETERMINATION and no DRIVE, refuses to fight through checks and gives up easily.

Pancel is smaller than Campagna and he's willing to go in the corners with the puck against bigger opponents. Pancel's willing to check opponents to get the puck. All things that Campagna is clearly afraid to do. Look at Kuchin the past two years. Skilled player who would take a hit (small or big) to make a play. Campagna fails to do this and gives up with the slightest pressure.
You had me until you mentioned Kuchin taking hits to make a play???????????? Are you for real. He may as well have worn a black and white jersey, for all the lack of hitting and traffic he avoided. It is clear that you have something against MC.

Sgarbossa was a star, but he was also a big suck. How many times when he got hit, he would skate to the bench and forget about his team and the play. Leivo is a competitive player with good hands and size, but not all are blessed like him.

IF MC is useless, then Sudbury has no chance next year. Because they dont have anyone on the team that has half his talent or ability. Bottom line. Pancel does compete, but thats it. If MC doesnt go, then the team doesnt go. See the relation.

There are 30 NHL teams that would love to have players like Kessel, Nicklas Backstrom, St. Louis. All these players are soft and dont bang the corners like you insist, but are very effective in their roles. Not everyone can be a Meathead out there.

chewerjones is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 10:58 PM
  #622
chewerjones
Registered User
 
chewerjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Section19 View Post
You realize that Kontos was traded even before Kantor was acquired right? Blaine Smith was even interviewed after the Kontos trade and said that they made the trade so that your beloved MC would get 2nd line center ice time. When Kantor joined the team, he was on the 3rd line.

I also fail to see why you keep complaining and coming up with excuses about MC's ice time. He played a regular shift, saw 2nd PP unit time and even saw plenty of PK time as well. He was tied for 9th in the league last year with short handed goals. Stop making excuses for a player that can only look in the mirror for not developing and not getting drafted.
2nd line PP with Sgarbossa on the team, meant that he got 0 PP time. Sgarbossa was out there the ful 2 minutes most of the time, and Kuchin played the point when he wasnt playing the wing.

There was a game when Sudbury had a 5 minute PP and Cull called a timeout in between the PP, so that Sgarbossa could stay on the full 5 minutes.

chewerjones is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 11:10 PM
  #623
chewerjones
Registered User
 
chewerjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfriend View Post
And to further add. MC doesn't just take a part of the PP he normally stays on for the entire 2 minutes - even well after his PP unit has changed. He will get plenty of points if he is on the ice for an average of 80% of every PP.

He has never once hustled off the ice, he actually has stopped striding a minimum of 50' from the bench. His laziness in many areas has caused many goals against because he won't back check when tired (stays on too long) or just coming to the bench to change.

Last year, he was 2nd line minutes pretty much the entire year...never pushed to 3rd when lazy...let's remember, as a 2nd year and 2nd line player he did not even get to 30 points. Yet, not at any time was he demoted. In fact when he was out and kids were moved up to play in his spot and they were winning, he was immediately put back to 2nd line and other kids demoted and we start to lose.

Anyone who says MC was not liked by Cull is full of crap. He is loved by Cull because based on the 2nd line minutes with such low production last year he would never have stayed on 2nd line.

Again, not taking away from him being very skilled and is arguably the best passer on the team...but there is too many kinks in his armor to sell everyone he is been crapped on by coach/management and scouts.
MC missed 23 games last year and most of 2nd half because of concussion, so your point about him playing 2nd line all year is incorrect, and his limited points was because he missed the 23 games. Also behind Sgarbossa, Leivo and Kuchin, it was like playing 3rd or 4th line. MC, Baptiste last year got minimal PP time. They would come on with 20 seconds or so left in the PP, most of the time.

You have no clue on what goes on behind the scenes. I can tell you for a FACT, that Cull has maybe said 10 sentences to MC in his first 2 years, and they were all degrading comments. No encouraging comments at all. MC has never asked for a trade because he isnt a quitter, but if any other OHL player was treated like he was by Cull, they would have left the team long time ago. Thats a FACT. Only because of BS and Mark Burgess, that MC is still there, and why CUll will be gone next year.

chewerjones is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 11:13 PM
  #624
chewerjones
Registered User
 
chewerjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenault View Post
We must put their year end performance in perspective. I do not think many fans in the middle of January after we unloaded most of our veterans imagined that we would have much of a post season let alone making it to the second round. We have one of the youngest teams in the league and the future looks promising so let's not start selling them off too quickly. Up front we have Baptiste(95), Campagna(94), Kubalik(95),KaHun(95), Silk(94), Pancel(94) all entering their prime years in the OHL. An additional summer of hard training and the experience they gained this year will translate into great things for them. Even if only 5 of those 6 make this transition this still leaves us with good fire power up front. In front we also have a few freshmen and rookies that could significantly contribute next year, Schmaltz, Vilardi, Wettlauer (not much mention about him but having a great year playing Junior B) Spicer and Peters. Even guys like Desrocher, Huether and Harris you have to realize that this was really their first full season in the league, again with a hard summer training they could come back monsters.

In D certainly we will be lacking depth, but again Dehann made some significant strides this year and Cummins, not many 96 came into the league this year and took over, with a hard training regime this summer next year could be his break out year. (lesson to remember with our expectation for Capobianco). In addition we have Raines (OA) and Genovese which will bring us some toughness and decent defensive coverage. In the wings we also have a big rookie (Eccles) which with improved skating will reinforce our team's toughness. Then we have Leblanc, points leader in Rookie defenseman in the OJHL, which could bring us the puck carrying defenseman and PP quarterback we so desperately need, or if not we should have enough excess baggage (anyone not mentioned previously,plus some good draft picks in 2014) to go get us one.

In net, our only hope is the Palazzese comes back as an over age, if not we could be in trouble, not because we don't have good prospects at this position but the experience is just not there.

This would leave us one spot for an OA D or forward, preferable a tough one which should be easy enough to get as an OA.

My two cents worth and see you next year.
Agree with alot of your points. It will be difficult bringing in new players, including drafted players into the mix next year, when 18 are returning. I think BS will have to work his magic and use some of their picks and prospects to shore up some valuable, experienced help. I hear they may be going after Basso from Sarnia. Also, the influence of Palazzese and MC with GTHL, will be able to lure other former GTHL stars to Sudbury. Dont be surprised if BS makes a push for Sean Monahan of Ottawa next year.

chewerjones is offline  
Old
04-13-2013, 08:24 AM
  #625
djscooter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
MC missed 23 games last year and most of 2nd half because of concussion, so your point about him playing 2nd line all year is incorrect, and his limited points was because he missed the 23 games. Also behind Sgarbossa, Leivo and Kuchin, it was like playing 3rd or 4th line. MC, Baptiste last year got minimal PP time. They would come on with 20 seconds or so left in the PP, most of the time.

You have no clue on what goes on behind the scenes. I can tell you for a FACT, that Cull has maybe said 10 sentences to MC in his first 2 years, and they were all degrading comments. No encouraging comments at all. MC has never asked for a trade because he isnt a quitter, but if any other OHL player was treated like he was by Cull, they would have left the team long time ago. Thats a FACT. Only because of BS and Mark Burgess, that MC is still there, and why CUll will be gone next year.
You're such a lost cause it's not even worth it anymore. With any luck the wolves will see the light on your glorious MC, and move him to a "real team" and this will all be a non-issue.

djscooter is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:27 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.