HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Eberle or Yak - Which one do you trade?

View Poll Results: Who would you trade Eberle or Yak?
Trade Eberle 156 82.54%
Trade Yak 33 17.46%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-12-2013, 05:08 PM
Koto

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Yes, because a team that struggles to score should look at dealing their one of their two top goal scoring forwards, lol to fill short term needs. Eberle who has been probably the best forward for the Oilers the last two full seasons is suddenly out of favor because of a sluggish 30 game stretch, lol.

Give your head a shake. The "untouchable" Taylor Hall has one whopping more goal than Eberle this season.

There's nothing special about a forward group of Hall + RNH + Yakupov. That's one freaking line and then what? Gagner? Who's that supposed to scare? The Canucks? Penguins? Blackhawks?

If the Flames land MacKinnon and McDavid in their rebuild, they would probably end up being better in half the time.

The Oilers need to be patient with the talent they have, making panic moves is the worst thing you can do.
even though eberle outscored hall last year, ive never considered him the better player.

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 05:10 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
even though eberle outscored hall last year, ive never considered him the better player.
Hall does a lot more on the ice, but often times without results. He doesn't have the hands or finish that Eberle does.

I would put money on Eberle scoring 40 goals before Hall does.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 05:14 PM
Koto

ill take hall to get 80 and 90 points before eberle.

Old
04-12-2013, 05:14 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
ill take hall to get 80 and 90 points before eberle.
I put a higher premium on goals scored though, assist totals can be inflated by an awful lot of gravy.

Point is they are equally valuable, trading one, especially for rubbish like "a need d-man" is ridiculously stupid.

If you're even thinking about trading one, it has to be a Shea Weber coming back, nothing less. And even then I'd be hesitant.

Old
04-12-2013, 05:15 PM
Koto

Quote:
I put a higher premium on goals scored though, assist totals can be inflated by an awful lot of gravy.
eberle can be inflated an awful lot by hall.

nobody on the team inflates halls stats.

Old
04-12-2013, 05:19 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
eberle can be inflated an awful lot by hall.

nobody on the team inflates halls stats.
You need both, otherwise the Oilers are just a "middle of the pack" team for talent that isn't scaring anyone anytime soon.

If you deal Eberle, then lets just go and tank for McDavid for the next couple of years. Might as well, because you're not going to win anything with that core anyhow.

Old
04-12-2013, 05:23 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Yes, because a team that struggles to score should look at dealing their one of their two top goal scoring forwards, lol to fill short term needs. Eberle who has been probably the best forward for the Oilers the last two full seasons is suddenly out of favor because of a sluggish 30 game stretch, lol.

Give your head a shake. The "untouchable" Taylor Hall has one whopping more goal than Eberle this season.

There's nothing special about a forward group of Hall + RNH + Yakupov. That's one freaking line and then what? Gagner? Who's that supposed to scare? The Canucks? Penguins? Blackhawks?

If the Flames land MacKinnon and McDavid in their rebuild, they would probably end up being better in half the time.

The Oilers need to be patient with the talent they have, making panic moves is the worst thing you can do.
I don't see it as a panic move will a top 6 of:
Hall; RNH; Eberle
PRV; Gagner; Yak
Will that top 6 be able to beat teams like LA, STL, or CHI
Even if you replace PRV it won't help.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 05:25 PM
Koto

Quote:
You need both, otherwise the Oilers are just a "middle of the pack" team for talent that isn't scaring anyone anytime soon.

If you deal Eberle, then lets just go and tank for McDavid for the next couple of years. Might as well, because you're not going to win anything with that core anyhow.
do you not expect something to be coming back for eberle?

dont you think we'd be a better team minus eberle plus a defencemen of eberle's caliber.

Old
04-12-2013, 05:33 PM
Distinct

We have been selecting the "best overall player" each draft so that we could package something together to address needs. We have 3 top 6 wingers, something has to give. The team lacks physical top 6 players, as well as high caliber dmen. Hemsky will not net us an improvement in either area, so that leaves Eberle and Yak. Unfortunately Eberle does not bring the physicality that Yak does, nor does he have as high of a ceiling. He's the choice.

Eberle is similar to Patrick Sharp and Chicago ships out Sharp before Kane or Toews.

Distinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 05:40 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
do you not expect something to be coming back for eberle?

dont you think we'd be a better team minus eberle plus a defencemen of eberle's caliber.
Unless that dman is Shea Weber ... no.

Even then, in the long run maybe not.

1 line offense where only 1 guy has an elite level shot (and that's Yakupov)?

Easy to shut down in a playoff round. Hall and RNH just aren't explosive, shoot first players. Hall tries to be, but he doesn't have the hands, he does that same dangle move over and over again it it works like once out of 15 tries.

That team would struggle to score goals IMO. No depth on forward at all.

They could a mid-tier 4/5/6 seed that never gets past the 2nd round, but that's about it.

Old
04-12-2013, 06:11 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
I don't see it as a panic move will a top 6 of:
Hall; RNH; Eberle
PRV; Gagner; Yak
Will that top 6 be able to beat teams like LA, STL, or CHI
Even if you replace PRV it won't help.
Of course we can beat teams like LA, STL, and CHI with that top6.

That top 6 will be the best top6 in the league (including Pittsburgh) if we keep it together for those guys to hit their primes. Look at how insanely young they are

It's the rest of the team that will have to be improved. We have no Letang. No Keith. No Doughty. No Seabrook. No Quick. No Pietrangelo. No Shattenkirk. No random bottom 6ers that make the team a contender.

5RingsAndABeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 06:13 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Looked through all the comments,

neither.

nofool6110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 06:15 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Ryan Smyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Neither trade RNH, will bring back a huge amount. Get a half decent center like Bozak to play between Hall and Eberle. And no matter who plays between them they'll put up points.
Can't. Find. Sarcasm. Smiley.

Quote:
hemsky+#2D>>>>>>>>>>>>>>eberle+2nd round pick.
I'm beginning to feel Hemsky might be a cancer to the team. The guy seriously looks like Patrick O'Sullivan/Robert Nilsson in terms of effort some games.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 07:47 PM
Chooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
no... It's people saying that there's no point in trying to pick one because we shouldn't move either. Who should Vancouver trade Daniel Sedin or Henrik Sedin?
It's common sense that you shouldn't move either of them, but the thread title seems pretty straight forward to me. It's a hypothetical question.

Chooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 08:23 PM
SDig14

Last I checked, you need 4 top 6 wingers. Hall, Eberle, and Yak can fill 3 of those for the next decade hopefully.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 09:20 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
Last I checked, you need 4 top 6 wingers. Hall, Eberle, and Yak can fill 3 of those for the next decade hopefully.
I agree. Take either out and our secondary scoring blows chunks.

Petry and Smid are an awesome pairing. We just need someone who can pair up with Justing Schultz, who will get better with age.

If we do that we can move Nick Schultz down to the third pairing where he belongs and a third pairing PMD shouldn't be hard to come by.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 11:41 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Of course we can beat teams like LA, STL, and CHI with that top6.

That top 6 will be the best top6 in the league (including Pittsburgh) if we keep it together for those guys to hit their primes. Look at how insanely young they are

It's the rest of the team that will have to be improved. We have no Letang. No Keith. No Doughty. No Seabrook. No Quick. No Pietrangelo. No Shattenkirk. No random bottom 6ers that make the team a contender.
I don't agree PITS top 6 with Crosby and Malkin is just too much.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 12:07 AM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
People complain that our top 6 is too small but yet they want to keep Eberle and Yak. We can't have both of them in the top 6 as we need more size. If you want to improve the defense then you have to give to get.

If I am trading Eberle it is for a dman that is not one dimensional. I would go after a player like McDonnagh.
Then trade Gagner! Perfect solution! Smallest player gone. worst defensive player in the top 6 gone.

Gagner for Bogosian

sign Weiss, sign Horton.

Top 6 gets bigger, they get a #2C who can play defense and doesnt need to be sheltered and can put up 50-60 points, get a big winger who can also play C, and a big young top 3 Dman who can play any situation. upgrades for everyone!!!

Or we could just trade Eberle for Ryan Miller who some would see as an upgrade on Dubnyk but he has been a pile of poo the last 3 years and is 32, and has lots of miles on his frail little frame.

nabob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 12:09 AM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
I agree. Take either out and our secondary scoring blows chunks.

Petry and Smid are an awesome pairing. We just need someone who can pair up with Justing Schultz, who will get better with age.

If we do that we can move Nick Schultz down to the third pairing where he belongs and a third pairing PMD shouldn't be hard to come by.
the secondary scoring has blown major chuncks for the second half of the season.

Old
04-13-2013, 12:10 AM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
No way man Dallas is probably really happy with the Neal for Gologoski trade...

Old
04-13-2013, 12:13 AM
JaredCowenFan
Welcome King Leon

Like all, neither.

JaredCowenFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 02:57 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
You guys must love failing multiple choice tests.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 03:28 AM
McArthur

Ebs IQ is off the charts in comparison. We have no way of know whether or not yakupov is ovechkin version0.75. I really like yakupov, but right now Ebs is still the better player

McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 05:06 AM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

vCash: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by McArthur View Post
Ebs IQ is off the charts in comparison. We have no way of know whether or not yakupov is ovechkin version0.75. I really like yakupov, but right now Ebs is still the better player
Yakupov ovechkin version .75 are you kidding me?!?! Totally different types of players..just because Yakupov has a great shot and likes to celebrate and is Russian doesn't make him like Ovechkin..I say he's more Datsyuk than Ovechkin.

oilers2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 08:08 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers2k10 View Post
Yakupov ovechkin version .75 are you kidding me?!?! Totally different types of players..just because Yakupov has a great shot and likes to celebrate and is Russian doesn't make him like Ovechkin..I say he's more Datsyuk than Ovechkin.
Datsyuk and Yakupov have even less in common than Ovechkin and Yakupov.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote