HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Ryan Smyth: The most useless player on the team

Old
04-13-2013, 12:12 AM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret99zky View Post
wow, well done

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 12:51 AM
oilerbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Can anyone tell me what this guy does or why he's still here?

He's slow, he can't score, he's not physical, and if the last few games are any indication he has even less leadership than Horcoff.

Like many Oiler fans I was happy he decided to come back and take Colin Fraser away from us at the same time...

Now it appears we made a huge mistake by letting him go and getting Smyth back. There doesn't seem to be a more useless player on the Oilers or even in the NHL.

Just waive him. He serves no purpose and is dragging the team down to horrible depths.
3.81Ga/60 on PK 8th best PK winger in the game.

Tell me the bold is trolling!
Or
you just out rite lying!

Cause the other option is you being uneducated on a historic level!
Top 10 PKer is useless.

Classic!

oilerbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 01:02 AM
GreatKeith

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerbear View Post

Or
you just out rite lying!

Top 10 PKer is useless.

Classic!
We already have plenty of forwards who can PK. Don't make him seem like he's the main reason our PK is good. Smyth does nothing out there. He can't skate, hit, or score.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 01:18 AM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:

Or
you just out rite lying!

Top 10 PKer is useless.

Classic!

What's classic is cherry picking a useless stat like that to back up the worst player in the league. Watch a game and it is very clear he is about as useful a player as Buchberger was a fighter.

KlimasLoveChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 01:26 AM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
I can garuntee you what "his own terms" are going to be.

Its already in black & white.

And I can't even hate on Tambellini for this one. I honestly believed Smitty had one more good run in him last summer.

In fact...I was peeved it took as long as it did to get this current contract settled.

For all we know...Oilers may have been wanting to move on altogether but felt obligated to bring back "Captain Canada."

Either way...its ugly at this point and the best we can hope for is that he magically recovers some semblance of NHL abilities for next season.
I hope Tambo sends him to Bentley to play for the Generals.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 01:35 AM
oilerbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
We already have plenty of forwards who can PK. Don't make him seem like he's the main reason our PK is good. Smyth does nothing out there. He can't skate, hit, or score.

Do you go to the store?
Look at the price of an item.
Walk up to the cashier.
They ring in the displayed price.
Then say the total with Tax.
Then you say come on that is not the real price.
Cause the cashier will think, What an idiot.

That is his real results.

Old
04-13-2013, 01:44 AM
oilerbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlimasLoveChild View Post
What's classic is cherry picking a useless stat like that to back up the worst player in the league. Watch a game and it is very clear he is about as useful a player as Buchberger was a fighter.
Do you even understand the Game.

there is on acverage 6MIn of Pk and 6 min of PP. which scores at about 2.5 times more per minute than EV.

48 min of Even time. 4 lines.

So his top 10 performamce @ PK helps compensates for our complete lack of out shooting @ even.

The Fact you call that useless.

Pierre Mcguire is that you? the master of Disguise!

Old
04-13-2013, 01:49 AM
GreatKeith

Quote:
Do you go to the store?
Walk up to the cashier.

I see 2.5 million a year for a guy who tries less than Ethan Moreau and Raffi Torres.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 08:36 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Ryan Smyth

Quote:
Do you go to the store?
Walk up to the cashier.

Why would you buy a knife that can be used to cut tomatoes and nothing else when you can buy a knife to cut many vegetables?

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 10:07 AM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
Do you even understand the Game.

there is on acverage 6MIn of Pk and 6 min of PP. which scores at about 2.5 times more per minute than EV.

48 min of Even time. 4 lines.

So his top 10 performamce @ PK helps compensates for our complete lack of out shooting @ even.

The Fact you call that useless.

Pierre Mcguire is that you? the master of Disguise!
Bwahahhaha...... I'm sure you can cherry pick a stat to justify the existence of every player in the league. It's quite humorous that you give Smutty complete credit for this stat without consideration for the other 4 players on the ice with him. I'd argue this statistical anomaly is in spite of him being out there as opposed to him driving the bus. Maybe pull your head out of the hind quarters it resides and face the fact that Smut man is a six foot tall blue and orange pylon.

KlimasLoveChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 11:13 AM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
I hope Tambo sends him to Bentley to play for the Generals.
Funny story from two Decembers ago now, I was coming home from Lloydminster on the Generals bus, talking some hockey with Brian Sutter. He'd had quite a few whisky's and somehow we ended up on the topic of the Oilers. Sutter's exact quote in regards to Ryan Smtyh at the time:

"He is the worst player in the NHL right now. Im serious you guys. He couldn't play here right now."

I thought to myself it was a harsh exaggertation but somewhat typical of Brian. But if you have ever had a chat with Suttsy' you know...the more drinks he's had the more correct his opinions are in his mind. So, I dont recall making the slightest argument.

Sutter...ended up getting fired as Head Coach in Bentley a few months later and he's been very "Anti-Bentley" ever since. Its been ugly.

And as much as I insist he did & said more than enough to warrant his firing here...at times...making people wonder if he had lost it altogether...

...He was ahead of the curve on his Ryan Smyth asessment. I give him that much.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 12:22 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Funny story from two Decembers ago now, I was coming home from Lloydminster on the Generals bus, talking some hockey with Brian Sutter. He'd had quite a few whisky's and somehow we ended up on the topic of the Oilers. Sutter's exact quote in regards to Ryan Smtyh at the time:

"He is the worst player in the NHL right now. Im serious you guys. He couldn't play here right now."

I thought to myself it was a harsh exaggertation but somewhat typical of Brian. But if you have ever had a chat with Suttsy' you know...the more drinks he's had the more correct his opinions are in his mind. So, I dont recall making the slightest argument.

Sutter...ended up getting fired as Head Coach in Bentley a few months later and he's been very "Anti-Bentley" ever since. Its been ugly.

And as much as I insist he did & said more than enough to warrant his firing here...at times...making people wonder if he had lost it altogether...

Really appreciate that story. I think that will make my day.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 12:25 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:

So even a drunk Sutter is smarter than our management. Awesome.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 12:27 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
This is absolutely brilliant. It made me laugh. Well done.

Old
04-13-2013, 12:30 PM
Tommy35

Quote:

Thanks for sharing., I was quite livid actually, when we signed him to this current 2 yr contract. Hopefully he does us all a favor ( as well as himself) and retires

Tommy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 12:31 PM
Tommy35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
So even a drunk Sutter is smarter than our management. Awesome.
toooo funny

Old
04-13-2013, 12:34 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
That's awesome.

It's time to put ol' Smytty out.LOL

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 05:02 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

What I find comical about the Smyth situation is that even when Tambellini seems to be leaning in the right direction about something he still ends up making the wrong decision. He didn't want to re-sign Smyth in the summer... you could tell by how long it took.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 05:41 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
What I find comical about the Smyth situation is that even when Tambellini seems to be leaning in the right direction about something he still ends up making the wrong decision. He didn't want to re-sign Smyth in the summer... you could tell by how long it took.
So what does that tell you? Who is really making these idiotic decisions?

Old
04-13-2013, 05:55 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

I still don't mind Smyth on the team. We still need some good vets around, but I honestly think anything more than 10 mins a night on the 4th line is too much. He is just that bad now.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 06:00 PM
Hitchslap

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
I still don't mind Smyth on the team. We still need some good vets around, but I honestly think anything more than 10 mins a night on the 4th line is too much. He is just that bad now.

Hitchslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 06:02 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
I'm confused. We need good vets but Smyth is bad. What?

Old
04-13-2013, 06:06 PM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 777
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:
I think that probably had more to do with Smytty holding out for every dollar he could get, waiting as long as possible for offers from other clubs to use as leverage. Good ol' money bags, Smytty.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 07:35 PM
Tommy35

Quote:
Oh PLease

Old
04-13-2013, 07:37 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Ryan Smyth

Quote:
This is true, I can't believe how many fans wanted Smyth resigned just because he got carried for about 30 games by RNH. If this were any other team, Smyth doesn't get anywhere near 2 million per season for 2 years. Also, fans are partially to blame for the Oilers ending up with Ryan Smyth in the first place. Management wasn't too keen on trading for him, but ended up doing so anyway to appease fans.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote