HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Is Rick DiPietro a bust?

Closed Thread

Old
12-29-2003, 04:28 AM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders4Cups
I find this curious. Snow is generally considered a #2 goalie who is hot right now. Rick had every opportunity to take the #1 spot and run with but it appears to be too soon. Rick is the goalie of the future and it all depends on when he gets the confidence and experience to take the #1 spot.

Why do you think Snow is impeding Rick's career?

Maybe "impeding" is too strong a word. From what I understand of Dipietro's personality it would seem that he's not all that enthused about his current role, but then again I doubt any goalie would be. I guess if he's patient, and the team is patient, it shouldn't be a problem. Maybe I'm just reading too much into it.

Old
12-29-2003, 05:18 AM
THE NEXT ONE #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger
I don't think Dipietro is a bust by any stretch, but I'm pretty sure he'd be better off on another team. His situation reminds me of Brian Boucher's a little. A younger guy who HAS to be the number one guy, or else..... Garth Snow is an impediment to his career IMO.
Sure, but Abby is also very young and is doing a great job for the avs!!!

Old
12-29-2003, 06:54 AM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE NEXT ONE #87
Sure, but Abby is also very young and is doing a great job for the avs!!!

Well, Aebischer doesn't have a veteran goaltender to compete with though.

Old
12-29-2003, 07:14 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Goalies take long to develop, much less start to play to a level of what was expected of 'm. Look at Luongo, it took him 4 or 5 years since his draft year, untill he actually played like a prommesing netminder. Hell, his original team even traded him because of it. Another example is Marty Turco, highly touted netminder didn't get to play his first NHL game untill he was 25. Or Giguere anyone? Same story with Luongo, it took him 7 years to maintain himself as a quality, starting netminder, and he was traded twice before it because of it. There are many more examples. Goalies take so much longer to develop, which is why I think it's pretty funny why anyone would write off Rick DiPietro at the freakin age of 22, after just 2 seasons of professional hockey. In 2 seasons where he simply domninated the AHL. Sure people tend to overrate one player's capabilities and expectations when you are drafted first overall, but at least be real about it and consider the factors, situations and history first before labelling him as a bust while he hasn't even played 50 NHL games.

Also, like netminders, powerforwards usually experience the same long ways of developing. Usually reaching their potential in their mid twenties, yet you rarely, rarely hear people complaining about Mark Bell being a bust, or Taylor Pyatt. Hell, it's been like 6 seasons and people still expect Brad Isbister to break out.

Give Rick time, and ignore his draft position for once..

Old
12-29-2003, 09:38 AM
lux_interior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
Goalies take long to develop, much less start to play to a level of what was expected of 'm. Look at Luongo, it took him 4 or 5 years since his draft year, untill he actually played like a prommesing netminder. Hell, his original team even traded him because of it. Another example is Marty Turco, highly touted netminder didn't get to play his first NHL game untill he was 25. Or Giguere anyone? Same story with Luongo, it took him 7 years to maintain himself as a quality, starting netminder, and he was traded twice before it because of it. There are many more examples. Goalies take so much longer to develop, which is why I think it's pretty funny why anyone would write off Rick DiPietro at the freakin age of 22, after just 2 seasons of professional hockey. In 2 seasons where he simply domninated the AHL. Sure people tend to overrate one player's capabilities and expectations when you are drafted first overall, but at least be real about it and consider the factors, situations and history first before labelling him as a bust while he hasn't even played 50 NHL games.

Also, like netminders, powerforwards usually experience the same long ways of developing. Usually reaching their potential in their mid twenties, yet you rarely, rarely hear people complaining about Mark Bell being a bust, or Taylor Pyatt. Hell, it's been like 6 seasons and people still expect Brad Isbister to break out.

Give Rick time, and ignore his draft position for once..
You make some good points. Note, I phrased the thread in the form of a question. I didn't intend to label DiPietro as a bust. I don't know how he's playing since I rarely see him. If I had to guess, before posting the thread, I would have said it's too early to tell. But I wanted to get other's opinions.

Old
12-29-2003, 09:46 AM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMick
since im a Isle's fan ..... heres some things to chew about.

J.Theodore was drafted in 94...didnt play more than 35games in goal in the nhl in one year in till 00-01 [59 games]

e.Belfour was signed as a undrafted free agent in 87,..didnt play more than 35 games in one year in the nhl till 90-91 [74games]

JS geigure was drafted by hartford in 95...didnt play more than 35 games in one year in the nhl till 01-02 [53games]

goalies take longer than defensemen to develop..the pattern seems 3-6 years to play at a regualr basis in the nhl

Now in reagrds to Marc-Andre Fleury...
17 4-10-2 3.20 .910 ...those numbers count as a immediate sucess??

Remember the guins have NOONE of marquee value playing...thats the only reason they are rushing him...

Unlike them...The Isles are trying to make the playoffs

The Rick will develop..but the Isles are riding the hot hand [Snow] right now to get some W's.
so give him a break its a little early to start the "hes a bust threads"

Good Post

Closed Thread