HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose Goaltending Thread #10

Closed Thread

Old
04-12-2013, 10:49 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
The fallacy is "you people" believe this would happen here.

There are certainly better goalies than others, and I would have kept bob (maybe stolarz will be a badmofo in 4 years), but bob wouldn't have made much of a difference with this trainwreck.
My only belief is that Bob always had the potential in my eyes to be the better goaltender. I'm not claiming anything else. He most likely would have had to stand on his head more so than in Columbus solely on breakdowns/quality chances but at least he could come up with more big saves. When he was playing here last year as a backup he generally did well carrying the team at times despite coming in cold and not having the reps Bryz did. All he needed was some more seasoning and we couldn't provide it b/c we saddled ourselves with Bryz who is a system goalie. Bob was always the better fit for this team with Lavi's style solely b/c of his athleticism. The technical side was going to be sharpened no matter what..just out of sheer work and dedication. I mean as that one thread I bumped noted..his "flaws" were easily fixable.

Old
04-12-2013, 10:58 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
My only belief is that Bob always had the potential in my eyes to be the better goaltender. I'm not claiming anything else. He most likely would have had to stand on his head more so than in Columbus solely on breakdowns/quality chances but at least he could come up with more big saves. When he was playing here last year as a backup he generally did well carrying the team at times despite coming in cold and not having the reps Bryz did. All he needed was some more seasoning and we couldn't provide it b/c we saddled ourselves with Bryz who is a system goalie. Bob was always the better fit for this team with Lavi's style solely b/c of his athleticism. The technical side was going to be sharpened no matter what..just out of sheer work and dedication. I mean as that one thread I bumped noted..his "flaws" were easily fixable.
I agree with you, the tools were there for bob to be better. He's FAR more athletic than most goalies.

I think its more than seasoning, I doubt our coaching would have brought "ColumbusBob" out.

Old
04-12-2013, 11:06 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
I agree with you, the tools were there for bob to be better. He's FAR more athletic than most goalies.

I think its more than seasoning, I doubt our coaching would have brought "ColumbusBob" out.
I think Bob would have brought "ColumbusBob" out quite frankly.

Old
04-12-2013, 11:41 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
Lehner tore up the american league. he is awesome. i wish we had him, but even tho he won last night it was a pretty easy night for him. he coulda pulled a bryz and took a nap through the first two periods. bryzgalov had a great game and i still think we can win a cup with him. not a stanely cup but like a really nice coffee cup.
Lehner made some big stops towards the end of the game. But the senators have played solid in their zone all year (kudos to MacLean), and both Lehner and Anderson are playing extremely good hockey.

Old
04-13-2013, 12:00 AM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post
Lehner made some big stops towards the end of the game. But the senators have played solid in their zone all year (kudos to MacLean), and both Lehner and Anderson are playing extremely good hockey.
yea. they got lucky with their goalie situation this year. things turned around quick for them in terms of how many options they wound up with. thats why i don't worry about us. all these guys are so fleeting skill wise. i still love bryz but obviously everyone hates him and he knows it. its depressing. he looks defeated and done mentally. i thought we'd keep him for another year but now i'm thinking they'll really go hard after bernier or one of these young ins and just end it this summer since its inevitable at this point anyway. it don't matter how good he is next year we aint keepin that contract around so mide as well get it over with.

Old
04-13-2013, 03:56 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
Lehner tore up the american league. he is awesome. i wish we had him, but even tho he won last night it was a pretty easy night for him. he coulda pulled a bryz and took a nap through the first two periods. bryzgalov had a great game and i still think we can win a cup with him. not a stanely cup but like a really nice coffee cup.
Wish we had Lehner as well. Another guy they could of had. But they didnt have a 1st or 2nd that year.
What can you do. More "hindsight" i suppose.

Old
04-13-2013, 04:25 AM
Rob11

Goalie troubles...

I'm a leaf fan..

However I love the flyers!!!

Over the years I've seen the goalie problems. I think it's the system and the coach that are the problem. There has been good quality tenders in net that can't succeed with this system.

What do you guys think (I'm sure this has been talked about but lets do it again)?

Old
04-13-2013, 04:36 AM
OzFlyer
Registered Boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob11 View Post
I'm a leaf fan..

However I love the flyers!!!

Over the years I've seen the goalie problems. I think it's the system and the coach that are the problem. There has been good quality tenders in net that can't succeed with this system.

What do you guys think (I'm sure this has been talked about but lets do it again)?
Did you miss the thread "The All-Purpose Goaltending Thread #10". Why do you think it is up to #10 ???

Enter at your own risk!

Old
04-13-2013, 06:10 AM
flybynite77

Save Percentage leaders
#2) Sergei Brobrovsky (.931) 2.01 GAA, 4 SO
#6) Ray Emery (.924) 1.90 GAA, 3 SO
--
--
--
#40)Ilya Bryzgalov (.898) 2.86 GAA, 1 SO

Isn't it about time for a complete change of the organization from GM to coach? I want Luuko and Comcast to tell Ed Snider to go hang out at some high-end Maris Grove community and then rebuild the franchise. Obviously that's not all about the goalie, but defensive philosophy and organization approach to drafting also play a big impact on the type of players a goalie has in front of them contributing to the defense both from forwards and from the d-men.

This organization is too tied to old-school thinking.

Old
04-13-2013, 08:07 AM
FlyersFan61290

yeah this probably should have been posted under the goalie thread we have going but yes, i agree with you. the system our team plays is not conducive to quality goaltending. that's not to say bryz shouldn't be better then he has been over the course of the year but i def don't just blame him. god i hope laviolette is replaced this off-season and at this point i really don't care by who.

Old
04-13-2013, 09:07 AM
LI Fly Guy

@howardeskin: "@jnkiii: Per @howardeskin - Ilya Bryzgalov will be back next year. #flyers"mentioned this morning on air and got from source

Ok then....

Old
04-13-2013, 09:16 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Fly Guy View Post
@howardeskin: "@jnkiii: Per @howardeskin - Ilya Bryzgalov will be back next year. #flyers"mentioned this morning on air and got from source

Ok then....
Not a surprise, really. This season was a train wreck for all involved. I sort of assumed that Bryzgalov would be back, with Mason, next season, and that they will make a decision after next year.

Old
04-13-2013, 09:30 AM
LI Fly Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Not a surprise, really. This season was a train wreck for all involved. I sort of assumed that Bryzgalov would be back, with Mason, next season, and that they will make a decision after next year.
I'm 100% on board with that.

Old
04-13-2013, 10:56 AM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Yea would be nice to rid ourselves of the wack job but assuming briere is gone then we have nothing to spend money on till next offseason anyway.

Old
04-13-2013, 12:18 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Fly Guy View Post

Ok then....
Make that 39 years with no cup...

Old
04-13-2013, 12:31 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
Make that 39 years with no cup...
Umm, even if we buyout Bryz, that isn't going to happen.

Old
04-13-2013, 12:42 PM
Krishna

Quote:
What?

Relax there buddy. We got the Savior Steve Mason

Old
04-13-2013, 12:47 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
This just seals the deal though... even if the rest of the team gels, we've got no chance w/ Bryz in net (or Mason for that matter).

Old
04-13-2013, 12:56 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
This just seals the deal though... even if the rest of the team gels, we've got no chance w/ Bryz in net (or Mason for that matter).
might aswell keep Lavi. and continue the suckage..

ill wait till i see an offical post about the Flyers keeping Bryz for yet another ysar

Old
04-13-2013, 01:13 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Quote:
yea. they got lucky with their goalie situation this year. things turned around quick for them in terms of how many options they wound up with. thats why i don't worry about us. all these guys are so fleeting skill wise. i still love bryz but obviously everyone hates him and he knows it. its depressing. he looks defeated and done mentally. i thought we'd keep him for another year but now i'm thinking they'll really go hard after bernier or one of these young ins and just end it this summer since its inevitable at this point anyway. it don't matter how good he is next year we aint keepin that contract around so mide as well get it over with.
I really wanted Bishop, but we're not getting him now. I don't know enough of Bernier to say if he can be a legitimate number 1 goaltender.

Now since Eskin is reporting Bryz will be back next year , guess we won't have to discuss anything like that until next year.

Old
04-13-2013, 01:22 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
What?

Relax there buddy. We got the Savior Steve Mason
Ohh yes, i forgot about super Steve.

Old
04-13-2013, 01:25 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
If the rest of the team gels and plays anything like meaningful team defense the goalies will miraculously look much better.

Old
04-13-2013, 01:38 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
I am taking any public comment regarding the status of any player on the roster for next season with a grain of salt.

Old
04-13-2013, 01:44 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I am taking any public comment regarding the status of any player on the roster for next season with a grain of salt.
as you should.

Jeff Carter was publicly safe, and then he wasn't.

Old
04-13-2013, 01:47 PM
Krishna

Wasn't JVR also publicly safe as well last season?

Closed Thread