HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Other Arizona Sports Thread II: DBacks, Cardinals, Suns, Wildcats, Sun Devils, etc

Closed Thread

Old
04-03-2013, 04:35 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

vCash: 500
What good is Smith if he's sacked eight times a game?

04-04-2013, 03:23 AM
XX
Lots of Try

D'Backs win longest franchise game ever.

Old
04-04-2013, 09:30 AM
Naurutger
Free Max!

vCash: 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
D'Backs win longest franchise game ever.
I turned out after the 12th.

Old
04-04-2013, 09:31 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...bounty-scandal

Quote:
Pac-12 coordinator of officials Ed Rush resigned Thursday.

Rush's decision came less than a week after CBSSports.com first reported that he was accused of putting a bounty on Arizona coach Sean Miller in the Pac-12 tournament and creating an atmosphere of fear among his officials.

The report said Rush offered $5,000 or a trip to Cancun for giving Miller a technical, which a number of officials in the room at the time confirmed to ESPN on Thursday.

Rush's comments were seen as a strike at the integrity of officiating and were investigated by the Pac-12. But Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott told ESPN earlier in the week that Rush's comments didn't rise to the level of being a fireable offense and said they were made "in jest."

Yet, the one-season stint of Rush now is finished.

"I want to express my appreciation for the great contribution Ed made to basketball officiating for the Conference during his tenure, particularly in the area of training and the cultivation of new officiating talent," Scott said in a release from the conference. "All of us at the Conference thank him for his years of hard work, and we wish him well."

Old
04-04-2013, 09:38 PM
Naurutger
Free Max!

Clap clap, get this stuff out of the Pac

"@ESPN_Colin: PAC 12's Ed Rush has resigned. As I reported today ---tip of iceberg. Three sources told me, more to come. This story isn't over."

Old
04-05-2013, 01:18 AM
Naurutger
Free Max!

Rush throws Irving under the bus for the call

http://portlandtribune.com/pt/12-spo...had-to-be-done

Old
04-10-2013, 09:29 AM
Naurutger
Free Max!

If you remember the Davonte’ Neal school announcement debacle then you know its funny he is transferring back to the school he wanted to go

http://azstarnet.com/sports/blogs/fi...OvYkxE.twitter

Old
04-10-2013, 10:24 AM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by naurutger View Post
If you remember the Davonte’ Neal school announcement debacle then you know its funny he is transferring back to the school he wanted to go

http://azstarnet.com/sports/blogs/fi...OvYkxE.twitter
Neal is a headcase. Perfect fit for Rich Rod.

Old
04-10-2013, 10:56 AM
Naurutger
Free Max!

Quote:
Neal is a headcase. Perfect fit for Rich Rod.
Lol, it was his dad that was the problem. I doubt Anu will be ready to go but when he is, that will be an insane offense to watch.

Old
04-12-2013, 01:33 PM
Naurutger
Free Max!

2016 BYU/Arizona in Glendale Arizona, finally Glendale gets something right.

Old
04-12-2013, 01:46 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Quote:
2016 BYU/Arizona in Glendale Arizona, finally Glendale gets something right.
Well they did manage to get a 2nd Super Bowl here along with part of the NCAA Men's Basketball Tourney, Wrestlemania, International soccer games among other things as well.

Old
04-12-2013, 01:53 PM
Naurutger
Free Max!

Well and I should add that it was really the Fiesta Bowl and the AZTSA that facilitated it. Of course UofA wanted a bigger name so everyone is grumpy.

Old
04-12-2013, 02:36 PM
doaner

Ha ha. LA star pitcher hurt in bench clearing brawl!

Old
04-13-2013, 03:43 AM
O23L
Worst tank ever.

Going back to the soccer talk... I am a huge soccer fan (avatar is Alex Morgan, who will be my wife). Just to clarify, FC Phoenix plays in the 3rd division. 2 behind MLS. They play at ASU, who had major expansions to their field.
UofP would be the location of our MLS team, when FC Phoenix joins (hopefully) in the next 5-6 years. The MLS season is during summer, and it would be ridiculous to play soccer outside here during July.

We've had 4 US international matches here. 2 men's, and 2 women's. Mexico has also played here (Because who the hell wants to go play in Mexico?) but I don't pay attention to that crap, because screw the Mexican soccer tram. The men had 60k+ at the friendly game a few years back against Mexico. We had 22k in a B-team friendly against Venezuela. Both were great turnouts given the circumstances. Both women's games got around 12k if I remember correctly.

I hope we get a few MEANINGFUL internationals (Gold Cup, and (fingers crossed) a World Cup Qualifier in 2017). We've proven we have the fans.

Last edited by O23L: 04-13-2013 at 03:48 AM.
Old
04-13-2013, 09:58 AM
MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhXcoyotes View Post
Going back to the soccer talk... I am a huge soccer fan (avatar is Alex Morgan, who will be my wife). Just to clarify, FC Phoenix plays in the 3rd division. 2 behind MLS. They play at ASU, who had major expansions to their field.
UofP would be the location of our MLS team, when FC Phoenix joins (hopefully) in the next 5-6 years. The MLS season is during summer, and it would be ridiculous to play soccer outside here during July.

We've had 4 US international matches here. 2 men's, and 2 women's. Mexico has also played here (Because who the hell wants to go play in Mexico?) but I don't pay attention to that crap, because screw the Mexican soccer tram. The men had 60k+ at the friendly game a few years back against Mexico. We had 22k in a B-team friendly against Venezuela. Both were great turnouts given the circumstances. Both women's games got around 12k if I remember correctly.

I hope we get a few MEANINGFUL internationals (Gold Cup, and (fingers crossed) a World Cup Qualifier in 2017). We've proven we have the fans.
To be clear, UofP would be a viable MLS stadium? I've never been--I know nothing about whether it has a roof, A/C, and all the rest. I've always thought the "weather question" was all that stood between Phoenix and a healthy MLS franchise.

Old
04-13-2013, 10:22 AM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP View Post
To be clear, UofP would be a viable MLS stadium? I've never been--I know nothing about whether it has a roof, A/C, and all the rest. I've always thought the "weather question" was all that stood between Phoenix and a healthy MLS franchise.
The Cardinals stadium has a roof. The playing surface is mounted on tracks, and it slides outside, allowing the use of natural grass indoors. It's all very nice (world class, actually) and the Cardinals absolutely do not deserve such a facility. Con of the century.

Mexico and Denmark played a friendly there in January. 43k attendance. And you aren't going to put an MLS team there? Really? If the Coyotes leave, that may actually move up the timetable a bit. Not that there is a lot of overlap, but it's less competition (especially for sponsors).

Old
04-13-2013, 03:42 PM
Naurutger
Free Max!

Something that the dbacks owner did that I agree with:

http://deadspin.com/dodgers-fans-at-...ium=socialflow

Old
04-13-2013, 05:37 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Quote:
Something that the dbacks owner did that I agree with:

http://deadspin.com/dodgers-fans-at-...ium=socialflow
My response from another board:

This is something I would like to see challenged in the courts. It's one thing to have this policy in place if everything was given away for free but to have to make others change jerseys or leave their seats when they paid money to be their is another. I see at other games all the time where the opposing fans are sitting right behind home plate and in constant view of the action at home plate when pitching takes place and yet never heard of any issues with this.

This is a stupid and unethical thing to do, especially in a market where it has a high transplant population and you needed these people as part of your bottom line.

Old
04-13-2013, 05:53 PM
Naurutger
Free Max!

Happens all the time and its their policy. They were given free alcohol which was not covered in their tickets like the article claimed. It was a trolling attempt on their part and most stadiums will do that. I find all arizona teams to be overally accomidating to visiting fans. I had those seats once and I knew the rules since they are a representation of the team and the network...of course I got that ticket for free.

Old
04-13-2013, 06:07 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Quote:
Happens all the time and its their policy. They were given free alcohol which was not covered in their tickets like the article claimed. It was a trolling attempt on their part and most stadiums will do that. I find all arizona teams to be overally accomidating to visiting fans. I had those seats once and I knew the rules since they are a representation of the team and the network...of course I got that ticket for free.
Polices of an establishment have often been challenged in the courts if the policy breaks the law and/or a landmark ruiling can be made on it. Last I checked, when someone pays money for property or a service(regardless if it's for ownership or leasing purposes) the people who own the property before the transaction takes a loss of their rights and freedoms to a degree once the purchase is made depending on the purchase. This stupid policy by the DBacks tries to undermind this common truth by this shady idea that they can sell anything they own for ownership or lease and still have the same degree of freedoms and rights as they did have before the sale of such.

As far as being overwheling friendly to the visiting fans is concerned there is no other choice for sports teams here to do so when you have population high with transplants and more people here are not fans of the home teams. Unless they want to have their bottom line to be affected.

Old
04-13-2013, 06:29 PM
Naurutger
Free Max!

Perhaps. I would be mad as a buyer but free beer cures all. And the guy I hate most is active tonight. Cody Ross is back. Hate him cause he has killed the dbacks so many times. Glad he is on the good guys now.

Old
04-13-2013, 06:56 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Last I checked, when someone pays money for property or a service(regardless if it's for ownership or leasing purposes) the people who own the property before the transaction takes a loss of their rights and freedoms to a degree once the purchase is made depending on the purchase.
There are terms, conditions and policies that all ticketholders agree to when they make their purchase. It's also a private enterprise operating out of a private facility. There's no conspiracy here, just common sense. The Dbacks would be within their rights to simply kick them out and grant a refund, as they should be.

Quote:
This stupid policy by the DBacks tries to undermind this common truth by this shady idea that they can sell anything they own for ownership or lease and still have the same degree of freedoms and rights as they did have before the sale of such.
The same laws that let operators throw people out or bar entry for offensive, obscene, racist etc... t-shirts, signs etc... is the same catch-all that lets the Dbacks do this sort of thing. There's absolutely nothing wrong with asking someone to kindly move if they are disruptive to the people around them or the environment. In this case, the club was protecting its image on TV by not having opposing fans in the camera view 24/7 directly behind the plate. Kendrick compensated them and offered up another suite.

The laws that enable dress codes are a good thing. It's really not that much to ask of someone to observe a few simple rules, $3,000 or $3 ticket.

Old
04-13-2013, 07:31 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Quote:
There are terms, conditions and policies that all ticketholders agree to when they make their purchase.
Hence why I said what I said.

Quote:
It's also a private enterprise operating out of a private facility. There's no conspiracy here, just common sense. The Dbacks would be within their rights to simply kick them out and grant a refund, as they should be.
It's a private enterprise operating out of a building owned by Maricopa County. Even thought the team is in their rights to do it there is an old saying; Just because one has the right to do or say thing in the world that doesn't mean he/she should always say or do it. Just because it's legal to say or do something, doesn't mean that one chooses to do with their rights is moral. Still, this is something I would like to see challenged in the courts and hopefully a judge will set a presadent here saying an establishment can't do such a thing if someone paid for admission into the place.

Quote:
The same laws that let operators throw people out or bar entry for offensive, obscene, racist etc... t-shirts, signs etc... is the same catch-all that lets the Dbacks do this sort of thing. There's absolutely nothing wrong with asking someone to kindly move if they are disruptive to the people around them or the environment.
I have no problem with such a thing and the truth is wearing the opposing teams jersey is not offensive or causing trouble.

Quote:
In this case, the club was protecting its image on TV by not having opposing fans in the camera view 24/7 directly behind the plate. Kendrick compensated them and offered up another suite.
Glad to see that nothing major came of this but still the team is going to take a negaive image hit by this if they don't make the right change to their policy in a market filled with mostly transplants.

Also, if it's about protcting their image wouldn't it make sense as far as consistancy goes to at least ban anyone from wearing the opposing teams jersey no matter where they sit? Especially in a market like there where it is known at times to have the visiting fans outnumber the fans of the home team? At times where the visiting fans often cheer for their team louder than those of the home team?

Old
04-14-2013, 06:44 AM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
It's a private enterprise operating out of a building owned by Maricopa County. Still, this is something I would like to see challenged in the courts and hopefully a judge will set a presadent here saying an establishment can't do such a thing if someone paid for admission into the place.
The DBacks/SMG are the lessee, they can do as they please so long as it is within the law. They 'own' the property for the duration of the lease for these sorts of purposes. I'm not sure what you want to see challenged. There's no reasonable way to allow opposing jerseys yet still ban all of the aforementioned bad things. At the end of the day, that's not something you can realistically foist upon a private business.

Quote:
I have no problem with such a thing and the truth is wearing the opposing teams jersey is not offensive or causing trouble.
Right, but you can't make that sort of distinction in the law. Too much grey area, as a result. Free speech doesn't apply on private property/businesses the way you think it does.

Quote:
Also, if it's about protcting their image wouldn't it make sense as far as consistancy goes to at least ban anyone from wearing the opposing teams jersey no matter where they sit? Especially in a market like there where it is known at times to have the visiting fans outnumber the fans of the home team? At times where the visiting fans often cheer for their team louder than those of the home team?
You're making a mountain out of a mole hill. There's probably two places in the entire ballpark where Kendrick cares about opposing fans being; right behind the box, and the pool. This out of all the thousands of seats, where opposing fans are free to cheer on their team. That they choose to not enforce this same rule there versus a dozen or so very, very visible seats is not comparable.

Old
04-14-2013, 07:15 PM
Naurutger
Free Max!

Good news Dbacks win the series and head to a beat up NY team. Bad news is they lost the game I went to. The good news was it was the first time that a dummy LA fan was not being obnoxious in my section. ..section over yes. Bad news is that Aaron Hill might go on the DL.

Closed Thread