HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-12-2013, 12:09 AM
compile

vCash: 500
Says Habs wasting time with Price because he's unproven.
Names 4 goalies of which only one has "proven" anything.
Fails to name a team that has won a Cup without a defense and strictly goaltending in the past 10 years.

Best logic Na.

Old
04-12-2013, 12:30 AM
Noob616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Cost View Post
Dude don't worry... I din't forget you, I'm happy to argue with you cuz at least your objective.

It's just that 80% of the board is againts my opinions, I also have a life lol.. But yeah dont worry just give me some time i will come back at you
You mean there's a whole world outside of hockey? :p

Old
04-12-2013, 06:53 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
I love it when people say a shot like Ovechkin's was stoppable.

Every shot is stoppable. Every single one. It is a goaltender's job to stop every single shot. It doesn't matter if it was a Flying V five on none or an even strength floater. You're paid to stop pucks period. People need to get over this, "Oh, he sometimes lets easy ones in" hey guess what, the goal of the game is to stop as many pucks as possible regardless of the situation.

Now, a good defensive system can ensure the shots are easy to stop. A good defensive system can cut angles and block shots. But it doesn't change what the goalie is paid for.

If you want to win in the NHL, your goaltender has to be able to allow two goals or less in over half of their games. Price does exactly that. He has had 13 games where he allowed three goals or more. He's played in 32 games. That's where it counts. It doesn't matter the shot. It matters the stops. Price stops enough to allow the team to win.
The thing about the Ovechkin goal is that if it was tipped by another player at the spot where the puck dipped on Price, nobody would say a word about it, but because it wasn't deflected but still changed direction suddenly, it's a goal he has to have according to the bashers.

Old
04-13-2013, 01:05 AM
Carey Cost*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob616 View Post
You just don't get it. It doesn't matter if he's not Patrick Roy. Carey Price does not have to be as good as one of the top 3 goalies ever. He needs to be an above average goalie, and that's what he is, and that's what he will be over this contract. May as well trade Galchenyuk because he'll never be as good as Guy Lafleur so what's the point of using a 3rd overall pick on him.
Dude has been a pretty far above average goalie (again, the 10th best career save percentage among active goalies) over a 300+ game career at an age span where most goalies haven't even had more than a cup of coffee in the NHL, and you're tearing him up because he's not one of the best goalies ever. We lost 2 seasons ago to the eventual cup winners after 3 OT losses and you're blaming it on Price. Hate to break it to you, but in the modern NHL you don't "win cups year after year". You'd best start watching a different sport if you want dynasties.

I'll give you Lundqvist, he's the best goalie in the league. Luongo isn't what he once was and I don't think he's too far off a pretty big regression. Niemi is a pretty good starter but he isn't in Price's calibre. My question is how can you "doubt" Carey Price and then advocate for "proven commodities" like Rask? I'm not even going to touch Viktor Fasth. That's just an absurd comparison. For the record, with a do over and the benefit of hindsight I would take Kopitar 5th overall instead of Price. Doesn't mean we need to assign absurd expectations to Price and he has to be Patrick friggin' Roy or he's a scrub.
Fine hes not the Messi we were all waiting for...so why did we gave him the throne before he even earned it? Huet was doing a good job at that time and if you take their stats when they played together they were not so different. But plz dont quote this I dont want to start another argument over Huet.. when he was with us he was good.

Then we also had a goalie that was playing really well in Hamilton: Halak.... we barely gave him a chance to be our no1.

We agree at least in one thing... Price is an avg goalie. Is he above avg or below? Thats subjective. But hes def not a top 5 as alot of people would like to believe it.

Price, not a bad goalie... but considering his "potential", frame size, technique, speed + the party animal he used to be... Price has been under achieving.

Actually sorry his Rookie season was impressive, 9.20 sv% + 2 playoff rounds. But since then Nada..

And to finish in the playoffs I dont want an above avg goalie... I want an awesome goalie because awesome goalies can keep you in a game even if your team gets dominated while above avg goalies sometimes their extremely good sometimes their extremely BAD but most of the time their ok.... and Ok is not enough in the playoffs.

Old
04-13-2013, 01:46 AM
CP31

Quote:
Fine hes not the Messi we were all waiting for...so why did we gave him the throne before he even earned it? Huet was doing a good job at that time and if you take their stats when they played together they were not so different. But plz dont quote this I dont want to start another argument over Huet.. when he was with us he was good.

Then we also had a goalie that was playing really well in Hamilton: Halak.... we barely gave him a chance to be our no1.

We agree at least in one thing... Price is an avg goalie. Is he above avg or below? Thats subjective. But hes def not a top 5 as alot of people would like to believe it.

Price, not a bad goalie... but considering his "potential", frame size, technique, speed + the party animal he used to be... Price has been under achieving.

Actually sorry his Rookie season was impressive, 9.20 sv% + 2 playoff rounds. But since then Nada..

And to finish in the playoffs I dont want an above avg goalie... I want an awesome goalie because awesome goalies can keep you in a game even if your team gets dominated while above avg goalies sometimes their extremely good sometimes their extremely BAD but most of the time their ok.... and Ok is not enough in the playoffs.
So the year he was 7th in hart voting wasn't impressive?

Old
04-13-2013, 02:03 AM
Noob616

Quote:

For the third time, save for a sophomore season where he was 21 years old, Price has been above average every year. We don't agree that he's average, he's above average and it isn't subjective. He has posted a save percentage above the league average in every season of his career save for one, including last season where we all know how bad the team was. I still don't think you understand how rare that is. Halak's had 3 above average seasons, 1 average season, and 3 below average seasons (including this one). That's how most NHL goalies are, they're up and down year after year and bounce around the league average. Price is consistently above NHL average, and that's just not something that happens with most goalies.

Quote:
He was pretty spectacular in 2010-11. Including the playoffs.

Quote:
That's great, every team in the NHL would like to have an awesome goalie. Problem is there really aren't many of them. After Lundqvist you'd be pretty hard pressed to find someone proven to be awesome year in year out. I don't know who these awesome goalies you're talking about are, after Lundqvist there's really nobody that is slam dunk hands down better and more proven than Price, and that's the reality of NHL goaltending. I would have at this time last year given you Luongo, but I think it's pretty clear there's been some age related decline with him.

Last edited by Noob616: 04-13-2013 at 02:09 AM.
Old
04-13-2013, 02:18 AM
Carey Cost*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP31 View Post
So the year he was 7th in hart voting wasn't impressive?
Yeah he was good in the season but he gave 8 goals in 2 games (game 3 and 4 which were at home)

Literally gave 1 free goal (third goal) in game 3 and 2 soft ones (first and second) in game 4.
he was good... but not impressive.

Old
04-13-2013, 02:38 AM
Carey Cost*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob616 View Post
For the third time, save for a sophomore season where he was 21 years old, Price has been above average every year. We don't agree that he's average, he's above average and it isn't subjective. He has posted a save percentage above the league average in every season of his career save for one, including last season where we all know how bad the team was. I still don't think you understand how rare that is. Halak's had 3 above average seasons, 1 average season, and 3 below average seasons (including this one). That's how most NHL goalies are, they're up and down year after year and bounce around the league average. Price is consistently above NHL average, and that's just not something that happens with most goalies.

He was pretty spectacular in 2010-11. Including the playoffs.

That's great, every team in the NHL would like to have an awesome goalie. Problem is there really aren't many of them. After Lundqvist you'd be pretty hard pressed to find someone proven to be awesome year in year out. I don't know who these awesome goalies you're talking about are, after Lundqvist there's really nobody that is slam dunk hands down better and more proven than Price, and that's the reality of NHL goaltending. I would have at this time last year given you Luongo, but I think it's pretty clear there's been some age related decline with him.
Dude I don't know what to tell you your Sold on Price... your convinced hes the best goalie we can possibly have.

I know i'm usually right when it comes to goalies.. all great goalies (Roy, Brodeur, Hasek, Halak(2010), Theodore (vezina, hart year)) have something in common and its the passion/fire you see in their eyes, I rarely see that passion from Price and thats the main reason I don't like him, that and also because hes overrated.

Old
04-13-2013, 03:04 AM
Garo

Quote:
Dude I don't know what to tell you your Sold on Price... your convinced hes the best goalie we can possibly have.

I know i'm usually right when it comes to goalies.. all great goalies (Roy, Brodeur, Hasek, Halak(2010), Theodore (vezina, hart year)) have something in common and its the passion/fire you see in their eyes, I rarely see that passion from Price and thats the main reason I don't like him, that and also because hes overrated.
If you don't like him because of his eyes, then I really don't know why in the world would anyone want to argue with you.

Not even going with the fact that you keep twisting what everyone is arguing.

Old
04-13-2013, 03:18 AM
Carey Cost*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garo View Post
If you don't like him because of his eyes, then I really don't know why in the world would anyone want to argue with you.

Not even going with the fact that you keep twisting what everyone is arguing.
Talking about twisting arguments... lol

Old
04-13-2013, 03:47 AM
DAChampion

Costly,

You watch the games on TV, you have no idea who is truly passionate and who is not.
You remind me of the people who thought Kovalev only showed up one game in two while averaging 65 points per season.

Looking at his eyes on the TV, when they are approximately three pixels across, does not help you know his drive.

Old
04-13-2013, 04:24 AM
Garo

Quote:
Talking about twisting arguments... lol
Haha, you got me lolol

Old
04-13-2013, 05:26 AM
Carey Cost*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Costly,

You watch the games on TV, you have no idea who is truly passionate and who is not.
You remind me of the people who thought Kovalev only showed up one game in two while averaging 65 points per season.

Looking at his eyes on the TV, when they are approximately three pixels across, does not help you know his drive.
Pure troll,

What kind of television do you have? These days a normal 1080p HD tv 1920x1080 resolution has 2 million pixels. You got to Keep up with the technology dude

Old
04-13-2013, 06:33 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Pure troll,

What kind of television do you have? These days a normal 1080p HD tv 1920x1080 resolution has 2 million pixels. You got to Keep up with the technology dude
Yeah I know, I do just like you, I've set up my TV to zoom at CP eyes whole game.

Old
04-13-2013, 07:58 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Yeah he was good in the season but he gave 8 goals in 2 games (game 3 and 4 which were at home)

Literally gave 1 free goal (third goal) in game 3 and 2 soft ones (first and second) in game 4.
he was good... but not impressive.
He outplayed Thomas in that playoff. Get over it, Halak is not here anymore, he's a back-up in St-louis, to a rookie nonetheless.

Old
04-13-2013, 08:51 AM
shutehinside

Some posters keep mentioning that Price is average or there are 10-15 better goalies than him in the league. The purpose of this thread is spelled out on the title, If Not Carey Than Who? They still haven't mentioned who'd they prefer to have in nets other than Price for the foreseeable future.

If they can't even come up with a few names than their argument seems rather moot. I mean if you're saying someone is no good, but can't think anyone better you'd rather have than what does that say about you?

Old
04-13-2013, 09:27 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Pure troll,

Way to miss the point:

Do not judge Price by what you think you see in his eyes.

Old
04-13-2013, 10:01 AM
Bryson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garo View Post
I agree with the eyes thing. People say he's got ice in his veins but he's too non-chalant for my tastes. He looks almost scared to me after giving up a bad goal. I want to see him get pissed and look like that's the last goal the other team is going to get by him. Of course it's hard to judge someone's psyche based solely on their eyes and playing with emotion is a fine line.

My rub with Price is that he is paid like a top 3 goalie but is playing like a top 10-15. If Carey Price truly was elite then their wouldn't constantly be threads questioning him now would there? He was outplayed by Halak and is again being outplayed by a 1 million dollar goalie! Think about that. I don't know what it is. Too many games?

What could $6.5 mil dollar goalie fetch? Luongo publicly stated that he regrets his contract so getting top dollar is not always what is best for the team. Bottom line is if he was truly elite then again this thread wouldn't exist. Does anybody actually remember who the backup goalie for Patrick Roy was? I rest my case.

Old
04-13-2013, 10:32 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
I agree with the eyes thing. People say he's got ice in his veins but he's too non-chalant for my tastes. He looks almost scared to me after giving up a bad goal. I want to see him get pissed and look like that's the last goal the other team is going to get by him. Of course it's hard to judge someone's psyche based solely on their eyes and playing with emotion is a fine line.

My rub with Price is that he is paid like a top 3 goalie but is playing like a top 10-15. If Carey Price truly was elite then their wouldn't constantly be threads questioning him now would there? He was outplayed by Halak and is again being outplayed by a 1 million dollar goalie! Think about that. I don't know what it is. Too many games?

What could $6.5 mil dollar goalie fetch? Luongo publicly stated that he regrets his contract so getting top dollar is not always what is best for the team. Bottom line is if he was truly elite then again this thread wouldn't exist. Does anybody actually remember who the backup goalie for Patrick Roy was? I rest my case.
Again, please, who are these 14 other goalies better than Price!? Do they all look angry after allowing a goal? Do they all pull a Rask tantrum and skate themselves into the boards too?

Will no one tell me?

Old
04-13-2013, 10:34 AM
Traitor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
He outplayed Thomas in that playoff. Get over it, Halak is not here anymore, he's a back-up in St-louis, to a rookie nonetheless.
Thomas had a 914 save %, Price a 901 save %. Price let in many many bad goals. He was nowhere close to being better than Thomas.

Old
04-13-2013, 10:52 AM
Traitor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Again, please, who are these 14 other goalies better than Price!? Do they all look angry after allowing a goal? Do they all pull a Rask tantrum and skate themselves into the boards too?

Will no one tell me?
This year or do you want 14 goalies that are just better than him at all times?

Old
04-13-2013, 11:17 AM
Traitor8

This year (2012-2013 season), not in any order:

1- Craig Anderson
2- Sergei Bobrovsky
3- Tuukka Rask
4- Corey Schneider
5- Henrik Lundqvist
6- Ray Emery
7- Viktor Fasth
8- Corey Crawford
9- Antti Niemi
10-Devan Dubnyk
11- James Reimer
12- Pekkaa Rinne
13- Marc-Andre Fleury
14- Jimmy Howard

Old
04-13-2013, 11:23 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traitor8 View Post
This year (2012-2013 season), not in any order:

1- Craig Anderson
2- Sergei Bobrovsky
3- Tuukka Rask
4- Corey Schneider
5- Henrik Lundqvist
6- Ray Emery
7- Viktor Fasth
8- Corey Crawford
9- Antti Niemi
10-Devan Dubnyk
11- James Reimer
12- Pekkaa Rinne
13- Marc-Andre Fleury
14- Jimmy Howard
I can see two names on that list that I would consider as good or better than Price. Lundqvist and Rinne. Most of the names on that list: Dubnyk, Reimer and Howard made me LOL hard.

Old
04-13-2013, 11:24 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:

We agree at least in one thing... Price is an avg goalie. Is he above avg or below? Thats subjective. But hes def not a top 5 as alot of people would like to believe it.k

Huet crapped the bed and became a liability....where did he end up not 3 seasons later.

You use Halak as an argument. All he did was win 2 playoff rounds ( on a team playing out of their minds, not alone)....then nothing, not even a 7th game OT loss that could have easily gone the other way, or kept his starting role.

Out of those 3 Price is still the best choice

Old
04-13-2013, 11:26 AM
Traitor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
You use Halak as an argument. All he did was win 2 playoff rounds ( on a team playing out of their minds, not alone)....then nothing, not even a 7th game, or kept his starting role.
I think the point he was trying to make is that Price was repeatedly HANDED the starting position even though he didn't prove more than the goalies that were already in position or that were in the organization.

Huet beat him to the #1 spot so he got traded and we fell flat on our face in the playoffs. Halak outplayed him until Martin had no choice but to go with Halak and then again they trade Halak. Price was handed the #1 spot and was never asked to earn it... all because of "potential and what he could be" but after 8 years since we drafted him, he is still not there ...how long can we wait ...

Closed Thread