HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who should we draft?

Closed Thread

Old
04-13-2013, 11:01 AM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
If we win the lottery and own the No. 1 overall pick...

I'm looking to trade it!

Seth Jones is a stud. He's another franchise defenseman and if there is not a deal to be had for the No. 2-4 picks, I take him and don't look back. Seth Jones is the one guy I take on defense this year in with a top 5 pick and say Poile did a great job.

If Jones is not available and we are picking top 5-6 and Poile doesn't take a forward...I'm going to need a STRONG explanation.

Just my two cents...

Old
04-13-2013, 11:14 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
If we win the lottery and own the No. 1 overall pick...

I'm looking to trade it!

Seth Jones is a stud. He's another franchise defenseman and if there is not a deal to be had for the No. 2-4 picks, I take him and don't look back. Seth Jones is the one guy I take on defense this year in with a top 5 pick and say Poile did a great job.

If Jones is not available and we are picking top 5-6 and Poile doesn't take a forward...I'm going to need a STRONG explanation.

Just my two cents...

Seth, based on what you see, what would you want for a player, no names, just a description.

Old
04-13-2013, 11:31 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Seth, based on what you see, what would you want for a player, no names, just a description.
Dynamic offensive skill, above-average skater with either breakaway speed or a great first step that is able to create offensive chances for himself and his teammates. Strong shot with quick release. Great hockey sense and leadership. A guy that will elevate the game of those around him. Don't have to be big, but big enough that you can win battles in the corners and at the front of the net against big guys.

Drafting this high, you want everything. Bottom line though, picking this high in this era you should be drafting a player that's going to be a first line player or top pairing defenseman for the next decade of your franchise if you are within the top 5.

Old
04-13-2013, 11:31 AM
Iron Duke

Draft the best player available. In the case of players being of equal quality, tend toward skilled forwards for now. Impossible to know the makeup of the squad by the time most of these kids will be ready for the NHL level, so it's a real iffy proposition to draft solely based on current needs.

Old
04-13-2013, 11:40 AM
Filip Forceberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Dynamic offensive skill, above-average skater with either breakaway speed or a great first step that is able to create offensive chances for himself and his teammates. Strong shot with quick release. Great hockey sense and leadership. A guy that will elevate the game of those around him. Don't have to be big, but big enough that you can win battles in the corners and at the front of the net against big guys.

Drafting this high, you want everything. Bottom line though, picking this high in this era you should be drafting a player that's going to be a first line player or top pairing defenseman for the next decade of your franchise if you are within the top 5.
I think BFC meant what would you want in return for trading down if we won the lottery, which I too am interested in.

Old
04-13-2013, 11:44 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredaDORES View Post
I think BFC meant what would you want in return for trading down if we won the lottery, which I too am interested in.
Never asked that but I am curious. To be honest, if Calgary asked, I'd want #2 and #29

Old
04-13-2013, 11:45 AM
Preddownsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
winning the lottery would be amazing. We could probably get Colorado to give us something pretty sweet just to move down one spot. They get Jones, we would still get the best forward available plus some asset. Or maybe Edmonton would trade one of their gazillion stud forwards to switch spots so they could nab Jones
Getting the #1 pick would be so very awesome. Trade down a spot for their high 2nd rd pick. We get Drouin or Mackinnon plus get a quality player at the top of the 2nd.

Old
04-13-2013, 12:04 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredaDORES View Post
No, he was asking for a description of a player I'd be looking for to draft. I don't turn my attention too much to the draft until the season is over. So, I haven't done much research at all on the players available this season.

As for what I'd look for in a trade for No. 1 overall? I think you are dealing with a select group of teams because you don't want to move too far back. Calgary for 2nd and 29th overall like BFC suggested sounds like a win-win. You'd be looking for a situation where you are going to still get an impact franchise player and also another quality prospect. Gaining a second first round pick gives us another first round talent and in recent years the teams picking in the middle to late portion of the draft have not been afraid to go off the board for their pick to get their player, so picking at 29th could still give you a quality opportunity to draft another prospect.

Top 3-5 pick you're hoping is 0-1 year away from the NHL. Top 5-10 is likely 1-3 years away and everything else is a 2+ year projection for any impact at the NHL level IMO.

Old
04-13-2013, 12:09 PM
Seth Lake

Very interesting article and chart here regarding trying to assess a numerical value to the worth of each draft pick in terms of trading it. Just came across it minutes ago and still reading, but the chart at the end shows that by trading down and picking up another first round pick for 1st overall, you'll get better value, but that is of course only if you are not dead set on picking a certain player...

http://myslu.stlawu.edu/~msch/sports..._NHL_Draft.pdf

Old
04-13-2013, 12:27 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

*BFC's pipe dream*

Preds win draft and starts an auction. Calls to Edmonton, Calgary, and Colorado.

Ask for Calgary's high pick and Pitt's, call Col to see if they raise, same with Edmonton.

Wants: 2 of Calgary's 1sts, or Edmonton's 1st and a goal scoring forward, or what COL can offer

If nothing tricks Poile's trigger, Jones. Josi-Weber, Jones-Klein

Old
04-13-2013, 12:40 PM
maplepred

I still say we go offense no matter what, just my opinion. We have always sorely lacked that and there are so many studs this year. We always nail defense in later rounds. We cannot afford to pass on one of these big forwards.
We can always trade for or sign a vet dman to play in top four. But as we have known for years how hard it is to get a top six (top three) forward

Old
04-13-2013, 12:44 PM
Dave is a killer
Dave's a Mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
*BFC's pipe dream*

Preds win draft and starts an auction. Calls to Edmonton, Calgary, and Colorado.

Ask for Calgary's high pick and Pitt's, call Col to see if they raise, same with Edmonton.

Wants: 2 of Calgary's 1sts, or Edmonton's 1st and a goal scoring forward, or what COL can offer

If nothing tricks Poile's trigger, Jones. Josi-Weber, Jones-Klein
Oh god, I can't see Poile going Seth Jones with how this team can't score on a Charlie Sheen paid for pro... oh you get it.

Old
04-13-2013, 12:54 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
Oh god, I can't see Poile going Seth Jones with how this team can't score on a Charlie Sheen paid for pro... oh you get it.
Oh I do. Preds can instantly become a dominate team with 2 25 TOI defensemen with 2 20 min TOI guys

Old
04-13-2013, 05:30 PM
maplepred

Was just wondering,
This is a pretty damn good draft IMO that we will look back at in a few years as being super stacked in first 6-7 picks.
A question that comes to mind, if forsberg was born a month later, he would be in this draft. Where do you guys think he would rate among this group of prospects?!

Old
04-14-2013, 02:51 AM
thecloser

i'd be just fine with lindholm being our 1C and being on a line with FF9 and Wilson.

let's make a trade for the other lindholm from anaheim!!

not gonna happen i know but 2 lindholm's would be nice haha. *pipedream!!!

Old
04-14-2013, 08:50 AM
Byrddog

vCash: 50
The more one looks at whats available Lindholm makes the most sense for this team. If the Preds could get a #1 pick they could get some real value trading down. If FF turns out to be what we think he can be Lindholm would be a good compliment. Heck the overall 1st could get us Lindholm and another top six guiy from a team like Buffalo. Whos defense is really struggling. Imagine a secenrio where we could get Lindholm with there draft pick and they throw in Stafford.... Granted FF and Lindholm might struggle there rookie year but it would still be an improvment over the current roster.

Old
04-14-2013, 09:08 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Defensively, the Preds need help. A change of backup will help but I would love a LH d-man to bump Bartley down.

My dream in the draft.

Win #1, trade it down to #2 with Calgary for #29. Where there is a bunch of d-man prospects. Then sign a 2nd pairing d-man vet. An upgrade at backup.

What I expect? Pick #5

Old
04-14-2013, 11:23 AM
maplepred

Any chance we see hellberg this season?? He may end up being a damn good goalie but right now rinne is way better at the NHL level and we may lose more with hellberg, plus considering season is all but over for us, why not play him to help our draft position potentially?

Old
04-14-2013, 11:44 AM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
Any chance we see hellberg this season?? He may end up being a damn good goalie but right now rinne is way better at the NHL level and we may lose more with hellberg, plus considering season is all but over for us, why not play him to help our draft position potentially?

1. the team isn't "trying to lose."
2. Milwaukee is in the middle of a race to get into the playoffs. They're not going to sabotage that and take their starting goaltender.

Old
04-14-2013, 12:22 PM
alexmanu

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
2. Milwaukee is in the middle of a race to get into the playoffs. They're not going to sabotage that and take their starting goaltender.
I agree, Hellberg looks a fine you player though... He has a .923 save percentage in his rookie season in NA, that is extremely good.

Old
04-14-2013, 02:46 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
Lol, I didn't mean we are trying to lose. I just meant without rinne in net we could see how other goalies can perform in a season that is meaningless now for us other than our draft pick. Obviously the boys are still playing their best to impress, that's why I wanted to maybe see hellberg or smith get a chance to shine, kinda like with beck, bang, bartley and Watson.

We may win a couple games by 2-1 or 1-0 because rinne will steal them, I think a top five pick should be a priority, by not throwing games but by letting young guys have a chance to show us what they can do so we know more where they stand as being NHL ready.

If hellberg can get the ads into the playoffs then by all means let him play! What about smith or pickard?? Probably not pickard though since he stunk in ahl.
Just a thought.

Old
04-14-2013, 02:56 PM
Byrddog

vCash: 50
At 24 Smith should be given a chance but if im correct the team would need an emergency call-up now. Guess we could say Mason cut his beard tripped over the pile o scrubbrush and broke a nail.

I have liked Jeremy Smith for a while it would be a change of pace to ahev a Smith on the lineup that could play.

Old
04-14-2013, 03:08 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

I want a center. I see us getting Lindholm. I want Mackinnon, Drouin, or Barkov if we pick top 3-5.

Old
04-14-2013, 03:12 PM
Top 6 Spaling

My pipe dream is we win the lottery, trade down, take Mackinnon at #2, and pick up a 2nd or so in the process.

Regardless of what happens early, I would also LOVE to trade 3rd+Blum or something for a late 1st to snag Max Domi.

Old
04-14-2013, 04:06 PM
glenngineer
HF Partner

Do we really want MacKinnon? I'm not totally sold on him. Watching him during the juniors he didn't impress me much. Was just another guy out there as opposed to being the guy out there on the ice. Not sure who we need to pick up but it better be someone good.

Closed Thread