Notices

Drouin vs Barkov

Old
04-12-2013, 04:30 AM
Ice Hawk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlund View Post
Well since he is already playing in a men's league its a reasonable assumption that he is more NHL ready than someone coming from a league playing against people their own age and younger. He fills a huge need for this team moving forward and I think it would be better to have that player sooner rather than later.
Not sure about being closer to ready. He is only 17 and won't be 18 until Sept. Less than two weeks older than Jankowski was in his draft year. Except while Jankowski was ripping it up in high school, Barkov is ripping it up in the Finnish Elite League.

He does project to be a first line center and I agree that would fill a huge hole. From one scouting reports I have read, he is a leader as well. Great on faceoffs, but not a great skater...kind of a ?.

His skill is undeniable, he has tons of moves:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_yNZRCne1U

Ice Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 08:12 AM
Adirondack Flames

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Hawk View Post
Not sure about being closer to ready. He is only 17 and won't be 18 until Sept. Less than two weeks older than Jankowski was in his draft year. Except while Jankowski was ripping it up in high school, Barkov is ripping it up in the Finnish Elite League.

He does project to be a first line center and I agree that would fill a huge hole. From one scouting reports I have read, he is a leader as well. Great on faceoffs, but not a great skater...kind of a ?.

His skill is undeniable, he has tons of moves:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_yNZRCne1U
I was under the impression that Barkov was a decent but not great skater. While it is his weakness in comparison to others it is still average. If I were to use comparisons I would say he skates more like Matt Stajan rather than Tim Jackman or Curtis Glencross.

I could be wrong, but like I said that is the impression I get.

Adirondack Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 08:44 AM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

Skating can be taught, while raw skill cannot.

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 08:48 AM
SvenBartschi27

Sort of off topic but whats this about Lindhom? Does Feaster really want him with 3rd overall?

SvenBartschi27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 09:18 AM
TylerSVT*

vCash: 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenBartschi27 View Post
Sort of off topic but whats this about Lindhom? Does Feaster really want him with 3rd overall?
No thanks. Monahan for me. Or Nichuskin if the top 4 are gone. Lindholm is 7th on my list.

If Feaster takes him top 3... i will murder someone.

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 10:15 AM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 704
Quote:
No, just because the Flames are "high" on Lindholm (and they made that claim when they were in the #7-8 draft spot) it doesn't mean that he would be taken with the 2/3/4th overall pick.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 10:20 AM
bozybo

PLZ Plz my FLAMES trade for 2nd top 5 pick

bozybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 10:25 AM
Volica

Quote:
Won't be the end of the world, he has top line upside. However, I'm hoping with #3, that they could still snag Mack or Barkov.
Lindholm is probably more NHL ready, and will make a larger impact if he were to get to the NHL at the same time as Mack. Barkov is probably the most ready to jump into a big role on a rebuilding team right away.

However, rebuilds are not about getting the guy who's most ready to go; it's about getting the best player available and giving them the few years the need so it all comes together.

If Calgary falls to 4th for some reason, and Jones/Mack/Barkov go 1,2,3; then I would be all for either drafting Lindholm, or trading with Buffalo along the lines of Calgary 1st (4th overall) + add in for Buffalo 1st (7th overal) + Minny 1st (~20). And draft Lindholm that way and getting another high end prospect that way.

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 10:30 AM
Adirondack Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
I was under the impression that Barkov was a decent but not great skater. While it is his weakness in comparison to others it is still average. If I were to use comparisons I would say he skates more like Matt Stajan rather than Tim Jackman or Curtis Glencross.

to add to this I asked on the prospects board about his skating and these are the first 2 replies. Seems like at least over there there is not concern about his skating.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkine View Post
A bit better skater than Mikko Koivu was in his age for example. The bigger players tend to take longer in that department. He is above average skater in FEL, but I don't know what kind of tier that means among the NHL players. Among finnish prospects his age, I think he is one of the best skaters. Still, he can improve it a lot for sure. But I guess he won't reach the elite skating level ever due to his size, but I could see him getting to above average to great level in the NHL too. His game doesn't need that much of elite skating / speed though, it's more of his "speed of the game" that makes him a special prospect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
There is some main points about his skating:

First of all he is one of the youngest players for the draft and doesen't turn 18 until september. He was great skater at junior level but suffered growing spurth. He is probably +6'3 and about 205-210+ pounds. It's typical problem for player of his age and size that skating isn't fully developed.

His skating have improved in very fast rate lately and doesen't show signs that his developement in skating have stopped or slowed down.

He isn't bad skater or even slow skater. His style of game isn't racing up and down on the ice. His very good positioning saves him for skating hard all the time. He seem to be always there where he needs to be despite of not being fast skater. His hockey skating and glide are very good and style wise he is good skater. When he sees the openings he can suprise with his underrated speed.

His biggest weaknesses is explosiveness in his skating and agility despite he has improved alot in agility. But skating is highlighted because there is very hard to pick any other weaknesses from his game.

The thing is how good skater Barkov would be in his prime and not today. He has alot of raw potential in his skating and he has shown signs of getting better at it. He works very hard off ice. He stated in a interview when the reporter asked him if he is satisfied with his developement. His answer was when you're satisfied with the developement you stop developing.

I could see him getting very good range in skating. Not elite but tier below which is more than enough for him. People at these boards can't see further from today. Skating won't be issue for Barkov at the NHL.

Very good review from his skating especially for north american poster:

Some clips of his skating:

At 0.15

I hope that this post helped you.

Adirondack Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 11:46 AM
TylerSVT*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozybo View Post
PLZ Plz my FLAMES trade for 2nd top 5 pick
The only way i think that happens is if we trade off Sven. Even then i doubt it gets done.

Old
04-12-2013, 12:17 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

vCash: 335
Is it just me or is Barkov a poor skater? Watching his highlight packs he lacks food speed enough to be a good NHL player

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 12:42 PM
TylerSVT*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyflames View Post
Is it just me or is Barkov a poor skater? Watching his highlight packs he lacks food speed enough to be a good NHL player
Its one common complaint of his.

Old
04-12-2013, 12:42 PM
Haatley

vCash: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
The only way i think that happens is if we trade off Sven. Even then i doubt it gets done.
Id rather hold on to guys like sven and gaudreau and brodie, rather than give up more assets to move up.... pending we already have a lottery pick.

Haatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 12:53 PM
Ice Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post

Yeah, that would not be my critique, I haven't seen him beyond YouTube. I tried to find the link to the scouting report that said that, but I couldn't find it. However there is a mini review that concurs:

"A very calm center who uses his vision well, Barkov has an excellent offensive game and good size. His very good passing and puckhandling combined with great hands and hockey sense make him a big offensive threat. He plays with high confidence and never seems to be under pressure. Barkov is a creative with a very solid overall package and the skill set to compensate for his below-average skating, making him one of the top prospects for the 2013 NHL Draft. (Matias Strozyk, 2012)"

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=50044

I saw a bit of Evgeny Malkin live at the WJC in Vancouver, and he looked awkward at times as well. He was pretty rangey and I think just had a growth spurt.

Ice Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 01:40 PM
tfong

Thornton isn't the fastest skater, doesn't rly bother him when you're that big with elite hands. Thats kind of how I see his skating situation.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 02:51 PM
Sean Monahan
Moewny

he doesn't have bad skating. He has good techniques but his legs aren't strong enough to support his 6'4" 220 frame. Once he gets more leg strength he will be dominant

Sean Monahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 02:57 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

vCash: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Thornton isn't the fastest skater, doesn't rly bother him when you're that big with elite hands. Thats kind of how I see his skating situation.
If we have the 4th overall pick then I say we should take him for sure but not before one of Drouin/Mackinnon/Jones.

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 11:59 AM
Hagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyflames View Post
This is something that just is wrong. You should watch some full games of the season. There were plenty of NHL players in FEL during the lock out so there were a lot of puck races with Barkov going against an NHL player. One of the best games of Barkov was the games against TPS where Barkov's line was matched against M.Koivu's line. While M. Koivu isn't exactly considered as a fast or good skater and some dont consider him as a good NHL player, Barkov was on the same tier. He didn't look slow by any means. Add to that Barkov won the most of the puck battles against Koivu on the boards, and was the first star of the game. It's not saying that Barkov would be a better player than Koivu or that he definitely would become that. But the point is that Barkov can play well against NHL first line talent, at the age of 17. He has had a growing spurt that has affected his acceleration, but his skating is well above average in FEL. He can still improve his skating, but then it will be close to the best.

Also when you are looking at highlights of McKinnon or Drouin and the you are looking at highlights of Barkov, it will seem like McKinnon and Drouin are faster just because they are going against junior's, most of whom won't ever be NHL players. And of those NHL players to be, many won't be great skaters yet. Barkov is going against professional hockey players. Whose job has been to improve their skating and their game. There is also one thing that affects Barkov's highlights, and that is perspective. The most of the highlights are from international sized rinks (or hybrids). So east to west skating will look slower as the rink is bigger.

I try as much as I can not to compare the beauty of the highlights of the prospects. I try to compare their games respective to the quality of the league. With that said, I can't say which one will be better, Drouin or Barkov.

Last edited by Hagged: 04-13-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Hagged is offline   Reply With Quote