HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 41 | SENS @ DEVILS | Friday, April 12 | 7PM (ET) | SNET,TVA | Exorcist Edition

Old
04-13-2013, 11:48 AM
SenzZen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge Garcia View Post
The "upper hand" wording is a direct quote from the rule book. With one hand on the stick, there is no upper hand. Real butt ending is what Brandon Prust did to Erik Karlsson in the playoffs last year, a spear with the blunt end of the stick.
So the one hand on his stick is the "lower hand", by your interpretation of the rule?

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 11:52 AM
mcnorth

I just... there's no power in your stick there. This whole thing is dumb, dumb, dumb.

I've played goal for 30 years. You'd be hard pressed to hurt someone with that part of your stick on that angle in that situation (through his helmet).

mcnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 12:03 PM
SenzZen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnorth View Post
I just... there's no power in your stick there. This whole thing is dumb, dumb, dumb.

I've played goal for 30 years. You'd be hard pressed to hurt someone with that part of your stick on that angle in that situation (through his helmet).
This is a pretty ridiculous post. They don't discipline strictly off the result of the incident. Andy felt he had to do something to defend himself, so he butt-ended the guy in the head. Worthy of a fine, imo.

Yes, Henrique tried to sell the play, but you can definitely generate power with one hand on a stick.

Old
04-13-2013, 12:06 PM
mcnorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenzZen View Post
This is a pretty ridiculous post. They don't discipline strictly off the result of the incident. Andy felt he had to do something to defend himself, so he butt-ended the guy in the head. Worthy of a fine, imo.

Yes, Henrique tried to sell the play, but you can definitely generate power with one hand on a stick.
Yeah, we're going to have to disagree. With the butt being that far away from your hand, and the angle with which you hold the goalie stick, and how far the stick travels - it's not going to generate anywhere near the power you need to knock a 200 lb athlete into next week if you hit him on the side of his helmet. Go try it out.

Old
04-13-2013, 12:08 PM
Quo
I, too, don't get it

The love tap that shook HF.

Quo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 12:13 PM
mcnorth

Did Andy actually say he felt he had to defend himself? Or is that all speculation and implication?

Old
04-13-2013, 12:15 PM
HavlatMach9

If this was intentional, then it'd a real buttend. Andy's seemed to be almost like a high stick.

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 12:37 PM
Tubby Tuke
Drafting my Overalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
If this was intentional, then it'd a real buttend. Andy's seemed to be almost like a high stick.

I don't even care anymore. Devils fans and the people on the main board are a ****ing joke.

A 2 handed chop by Hall - clear and DELIBERATE attempt to injure another player? A nothing play.

Henrique diving after being hit in the helmet by the end of a stick (that's not always a butt-end but apparently if you only read the words of the rule-book and misconstrue it deliberately it is!) is a deliberate attempt by Anderson to injure and it's the worst thing to happen this year in the NHL.

Tubby Tuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 12:52 PM
SenzZen

Quote:
Yeah, we're going to have to disagree. With the butt being that far away from your hand, and the angle with which you hold the goalie stick, and how far the stick travels - it's not going to generate anywhere near the power you need to knock a 200 lb athlete into next week if you hit him on the side of his helmet. Go try it out.
I already said I thought Henrique sold it- the problem is intentionally putting your stick in someone's face. There's no place for that.

Quote:
Did Andy actually say he felt he had to defend himself? Or is that all speculation and implication?
Speculation. The Devils were crashing the crease pretty hard.

Why else would he stick his stick out like that?

But then again, I thought MDZ deserved at least a fine for his chicken wing on Neal.

Old
04-13-2013, 03:06 PM
Orr123

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
Refs tend to have grudges and penalize players they don't like. Remember how many "goaltender interference calls" Foligno got. In this case, these refs saw Henrique flopping around like he was trying out for the France national soccer team and, even though that was a penalty, probably swallowed their whistle because of how embarrasing Henrique was.
Oh of course.

But you can't say, we didn't get away with one there. It should have been called. But like everything else in the league, it depends on how the player reacts to play, it depends on who it is, it depends on where the Refs are looking.

That said, it still should have been called. But people on the main boards are losing it.

Rule books, Schmule Books!!

It doesn't really matter what the rule books say these days. So I'll go with how the NHL typically deals with things, and say, it should have been an ON ICE call and that's it.

Orr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 03:08 PM
Orr123

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenzZen View Post

I would say, often they do penalize based off the result of the incident. Not saying it should be that way, or whatever. But generally injury and what not does make a big difference in what the discipline and what they do not.

Orr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 03:10 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
You must be lost. The team that sucks and has lost 8 straight games can be found over on the board labelled "New Jersey Devils".

You can discuss there whether you should give up this year's lottery pick or next year's.
9 straight*

ReginKarlssonLehner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 03:30 PM
Ice-Tray

Wow, funnny fans out in force here! "But the rule book says!!!" blah blah blah...

The Devils were running around in the crease all night and Andy fought back and sent a message, simple as that. All the helicopter fans who fear for the eye, the cheek, the jaw, the falling sky, are hilarious. Henrique was in no danger of being concussed, losing an eye, a tooth, or his pride (until he dove), because Andy didn't hit him very hard. Just hard enough to send a message.

And it worked...

Refs will often let players police themselves at times and this may have been an example, or they may have missed it, who can say. Shanahan is going to look at this (if he even does) and say you run the crease all game, the goalie is gonna let you know.

This really has become the generation of whining and complaining. Makes me pine for even 10 years ago when people would have looked at this play and said, meh, stay out of his crease if you don't want the goalie to go after you.

Attaboy Andy!

Ice-Tray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 03:57 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

how has no-one mentioned that the only reason the sens only got 11 shots was that the devils trapped us?

04-13-2013, 04:02 PM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
how has no-one mentioned that the only reason the sens only got 11 shots was that the devils trapped us?
Cause they took a lot of shots. Easy comeback so it'd be no fun.

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 04:19 PM
SenzZen

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
Becaue who cares?

2 points, *****es!

Old
04-13-2013, 04:24 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

What's even funnier is that we hit 2 posts too, lol. It's not like we scored on our ONLY chances. Not to mention Michalek's breakaway which should have been penalty shot.

ReginKarlssonLehner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 04:29 PM
the chef
Just you know why...

I don't get the Andy hate on the main board. If what he did was severe, then why doesn't Henrique do something about? Furthermore, the devils didn't retaliate later in the game.

the chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 04:40 PM
Tubby Tuke
Drafting my Overalls

If that Anderson butt-end gets supplementary discipline we can thank that hockey writer for Yahoo getting his panties in a bunch. It's basically drumming up media attention for a missed PENALTY (not suspension) - I mean really?

Meanwhile no call on Hall, a vicious 2 handed slash and the media coverage of that is toned down quite a bit.

Basically ******** Yahoo sports writer may get the person who deserves the Vezina fined/suspended.

Tubby Tuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 04:42 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

I don't get why the Devils lot are still complaining, they outshot us what, 33-11 and lost 2-0... I think they should be more concerned about MB30's awful play and their inability to capitalize on chances...

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 04:53 PM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

It's too bad it's the Caps we play twice in the final week and not the Devils. We owned them this season.

GoSensGo765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 05:03 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
I just got home from downtown. Saw Anderson butt end a baby then a puppy within about 30 seconds. Someone needs to stop him!

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 05:06 PM
Patvolcom65
@Patvolcom65

Well Lehner has been a good mentor for Anderson

Patvolcom65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 06:38 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
Remember when Bishop headbutted Greening and we made a thread about it?

Oh wait. We never did because it was minor.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26337

Same rules apply! Maybe we should call for Bishop to be suspended!

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 06:57 PM
WantEggRoll

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
Remember when Bishop headbutted Greening and we made a thread about it?

Oh wait. We never did because it was minor.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26337

Same rules apply! Maybe we should call for Bishop to be suspended!
Agreed. It seems Ottawa is a breeding ground for vicious dangerous goaltenders. Frankly the league should probably just move us to Quebec City before it gets out of hand.

WantEggRoll is offline   Reply With Quote