HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-13-2013, 11:36 AM
  #426
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,163
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traitor8 View Post
I think the point he was trying to make is that Price was repeatedly HANDED the starting position even though he didn't prove more than the goalies that were already in position or that were in the organization.

Huet beat him to the #1 spot so he got traded and we fell flat on our face in the playoffs. Halak outplayed him until Martin had no choice but to go with Halak and then again they trade Halak. Price was handed the #1 spot and was never asked to earn it... all because of "potential and what he could be" but after 8 years since we drafted him, he is still not there ...how long can we wait ...
Yet Huet is in France or Swizterland or something..
Halak is injured more than DiPietro..
and Price is considered the leading candidate for Canada in goal at the Olympics.

But, sure, let's just pretend Hockey analysts know nothing, the team knows nothing, 3 regimes of General Managers know nothing.. and you're right. Price sucks. He doesn't make FLASHY saves.. so he's GOD awful.

WeThreeKings is online now  
Old
04-13-2013, 11:40 AM
  #427
Traitor8
Registered User
 
Traitor8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Iraq
Posts: 4,854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Yet Huet is in France or Swizterland or something..
Halak is injured more than DiPietro..
and Price is considered the leading candidate for Canada in goal at the Olympics.

But, sure, let's just pretend Hockey analysts know nothing, the team knows nothing, 3 regimes of General Managers know nothing.. and you're right. Price sucks. He doesn't make FLASHY saves.. so he's GOD awful.
Interesting perspective ...I didn't say Price sucks yet you say I said that. Very very interesting!

Huet and Halak struggling or not even in the league is not an argument to trading them early before Price has to EARN the starting position. It just isn't. Huet was still a very capable goalie when he was with us and we were going into the playoffs. There was no reason to trade him and go with Price without Price first having proved anything.

Price being the leading candidate for Canada just means Canada isn't producing goalies like it once was.

Oh and please don't use Gainey and Gauthier argument because these guys are absolutely horrible GM's (not taking into consideration whether Price was the right or wrong call).

Traitor8 is offline  
Old
04-13-2013, 11:42 AM
  #428
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,163
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traitor8 View Post
Interesting perspective ...I didn't say Price sucks yet you say I said that. Very very interesting!

Huet and Halak struggling or not even in the league is not an argument to trading them early before Price has to EARN the starting position. It just isn't. Huet was still a very capable goalie when he was with us and we were going into the playoffs. There was no reason to trade him and go with Price without Price first having proved anything.

Price being the leading candidate for Canada just means Canada isn't producing goalies like it once was.

Oh and please don't use Gainey and Gauthier argument because these guys are absolutely horrible GM's (not taking into consideration whether Price was the right or wrong call).
Yeah.. all he did was win 24 games and post a .920%

Those are average numbers, of course. Especially at the age of 21.

WeThreeKings is online now  
Old
04-13-2013, 11:47 AM
  #429
Traitor8
Registered User
 
Traitor8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Iraq
Posts: 4,854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Yeah.. all he did was win 24 games and post a .920%

Those are average numbers, of course. Especially at the age of 21.
No reason to trade Huet for a 2nd round pick. You keep there and don't throw Price to the wolves... It's true Price won 24 games and got that save % but everyone (and I hope Gainey knew that of all people) that the playoffs are different animal. Price had a .901 save % that year in the playoffs...simply not good enough

Funny you mention that season but don't mention how he only got a .905 and then .912 save percentage in the next 2 seasons and .878 and .890 in the playoffs. Then Price bounces back and plays well again...

For me, Price is a solid goalie but he's not the franchise player he was suppose to be and he's not a top 5 goalie by any stretch of the imagination. He is now overpaid by 2 M $ and we will have to deal with this.

With him being drafted 5th overall, being shoved down our throats as the next big thing ... handed starting positions ... given 6.5 M $ per year ... I'm a little down..because to tell you the truth, no matter how I look at it, he's just simply not better than a lot of goalies out there. He's "good" but not "great"

Traitor8 is offline  
Old
04-13-2013, 11:49 AM
  #430
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,163
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traitor8 View Post
No reason to trade Huet for a 2nd round pick. You keep there and don't throw Price to the wolves... It's true Price won 24 games and got that save % but everyone (and I hope Gainey knew that of all people) that the playoffs are different animal. Price had a .901 save % that year in the playoffs...simply not good enough

Funny you mention that season but don't mention how he only got a .905 and then .912 save percentage in the next 2 seasons and .878 and .890 in the playoffs. Then Price bounces back and plays well again...

For me, Price is a solid goalie but he's not the franchise player he was suppose to be and he's not a top 5 goalie by any stretch of the imagination. He is now overpaid by 2 M $ and we will have to deal with this.

With him being drafted 5th overall, being shoved down our throats as the next big thing ... handed starting positions ... given 6.5 M $ per year ... I'm a little down..because to tell you the truth, no matter how I look at it, he's just simply not better than a lot of goalies out there. He's "good" but not "great"
Then you're going to have to accept the notion that you are simply not good at understanding what makes one goalie better than another. One day you'll realize why Price is so exceptional (size, puckhandling, rebound control, fundamentals, extremely good lateral movement for a big goaltender). You'll also realize that he is still young and has a few years to go before most goalies reach their prime.

Secondly, trading Huet for a 2nd round pick was one of the better moves Gainey made. Huet was going to leave with Price going to take his job. Gainey had an opportunity to get something back for his investment in Huet.. too bad he pissed it away later.

WeThreeKings is online now  
Old
04-13-2013, 11:50 AM
  #431
shutehinside
Registered User
 
shutehinside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traitor8 View Post
This year (2012-2013 season), not in any order:

1- Craig Anderson
2- Sergei Bobrovsky
3- Tuukka Rask
4- Corey Schneider
5- Henrik Lundqvist
6- Ray Emery
7- Viktor Fasth
8- Corey Crawford
9- Antti Niemi
10-Devan Dubnyk
11- James Reimer
12- Pekkaa Rinne
13- Marc-Andre Fleury
14- Jimmy Howard
I said goalies that you'd rather have than Price for the foreseeable future. If you'd rather have nearly any of the goalies on the list than Price, you'd be a REALLY posses off fan of the teams they play for.

It looks like you just picked a list of goalies. In case you actually want to argue this point, let me ask if you'd actually trade any one of all of these goalies from yor list, 1 for 1 for Price? If not, they shouldn't be on the list and you should revise it.

shutehinside is offline  
Old
04-13-2013, 11:53 AM
  #432
ryanwb
Registered User
 
ryanwb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 863
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traitor8 View Post
I think the point he was trying to make is that Price was repeatedly HANDED the starting position even though he didn't prove more than the goalies that were already in position or that were in the organization.

Huet beat him to the #1 spot so he got traded and we fell flat on our face in the playoffs. Halak outplayed him until Martin had no choice but to go with Halak and then again they trade Halak. Price was handed the #1 spot and was never asked to earn it... all because of "potential and what he could be" but after 8 years since we drafted him, he is still not there ...how long can we wait ...
What are you waiting for?

I keep hearing how we are waiting for Price to become an elite goalie in the league. Well the wait is over. Price IS an elite goalie in the league. Deal with it. There isn't a single netminder in the entire world that goes out and wins every single game. Not one. There isn't a single goaltender who doesn't let in bad goals. Not one. What there are is a handful (around 5/6) of goalies who put up above average stats year in, year out and can handle 65-70 games/year. Price is one of those guys. How is that not elite? You can't win every game, you can't save every shot. What you can do is give your team a chance to win every game. Price is among the very, very best at his position at doing so.

How many games has Price been the sole reason we win or lose in his career? It's a pretty damned small number on both sides if you ask me.

His win/loss record is largely dependent on how the team in front of him plays. He gives them a chance virtually every single night, with very, very few exceptions. What more do some of you want from the guy? Does he give up bad goals sometimes? Sure he does. Does he make amazing game saving stops? Damned right. And in between those he is as solid and consistent as they come.

Whether anyone else wants to agree with me or not, Price IS a top 5 goalie in the league, and I can guarantee all 30 NHL GMs would agree with me. Try to name me more than 5 teams who wouldn't trade their current starter for Price, straight up. I can think of 4 or 5: Boston, New York, Nashville (maybe), LA, and Vancouver (maybe). Who else wouldn't? Honestly? How is that not elite? There are about 25 teams who would kill to have a guy like Price in net. Again, how is that not elite?

You don't simply replace what he bring to the table with a guy who has good starts in 30 games/season, or a hot run in the playoffs. Price is remarkably consistent from year to year, and is still one of the youngest starting netminders in the league. What is not to like about that?

The grass isn't always greener on the other side you know.

ryanwb is offline  
Old
04-13-2013, 11:57 AM
  #433
Traitor8
Registered User
 
Traitor8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Iraq
Posts: 4,854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Then you're going to have to accept the notion that you are simply not good at understanding what makes one goalie better than another. One day you'll realize why Price is so exceptional (size, puckhandling, rebound control, fundamentals, extremely good lateral movement for a big goaltender). You'll also realize that he is still young and has a few years to go before most goalies reach their prime.

Secondly, trading Huet for a 2nd round pick was one of the better moves Gainey made. Huet was going to leave with Price going to take his job. Gainey had an opportunity to get something back for his investment in Huet.. too bad he pissed it away later.
Ah the classic "you just don't understand because you can't analyze hockey" argument! If you want to argue, bring argument, bring stats, don't just use things that are biased and frankly unproven because you don't know me as a person and you don't know "my scouting abilities" and which things I said about certain players were proven right and which were proven wrong.

That said, let's say I trust you, let's say I tell you ok fine, let's give him a chance ..let's see when he reaches his potential. Please answer the following questions:

1- How much longer are we (yes, we habs fans, we all want the best for our team) suppose to wait for Price to "reach his potential"? When will you be saying to your family and friends that "hey guys, you know what, Price simply didn't develop like I thought he would" ...is this in 2014? 2015? 2018? 2020?

2- Define "reaching his potential".. what is that exactly? Don't tell me he's "great". Give me stats ..should I expect .920 save % most years? Should I expect him to be .920 or above in the playoffs? Quantity what WE should expect from our #1 goalie?

3- Do you think that a player who was drafted 5th overall may take up to 9-11 years to finally reach his potential?

4- If Price doesn't get nominated for the Vezina by the time he's 28 (10 years after he's drafted), do you think that it means he didn't reach his potential?

5- If Price doesn't get nominated for the Vezina by the time he's 30 (12 years after he's drafted), do you think that it means he didn't reach his potential?

6- Where should Price rank among Save % year in and year out among goalies? Is top 23 good enough for you or should we expect better?


Lastly, about Huet ...common man. Any team that is contending will NEVER trade an experienced goalie and throw a rookie goalie who has 0 playoff experience to the wolves. Any smart GM, any smart teams ALWAYS acquire veteran goalies just in case...

Traitor8 is offline  
Old
04-13-2013, 12:01 PM
  #434
Traitor8
Registered User
 
Traitor8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Iraq
Posts: 4,854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwb View Post
What are you waiting for?

I keep hearing how we are waiting for Price to become an elite goalie in the league. Well the wait is over. Price IS an elite goalie in the league. Deal with it. There isn't a single netminder in the entire world that goes out and wins every single game. Not one. There isn't a single goaltender who doesn't let in bad goals. Not one. What there are is a handful (around 5/6) of goalies who put up above average stats year in, year out and can handle 65-70 games/year. Price is one of those guys. How is that not elite? You can't win every game, you can't save every shot. What you can do is give your team a chance to win every game. Price is among the very, very best at his position at doing so.

How many games has Price been the sole reason we win or lose in his career? It's a pretty damned small number on both sides if you ask me.

His win/loss record is largely dependent on how the team in front of him plays. He gives them a chance virtually every single night, with very, very few exceptions. What more do some of you want from the guy? Does he give up bad goals sometimes? Sure he does. Does he make amazing game saving stops? Damned right. And in between those he is as solid and consistent as they come.

Whether anyone else wants to agree with me or not, Price IS a top 5 goalie in the league, and I can guarantee all 30 NHL GMs would agree with me. Try to name me more than 5 teams who wouldn't trade their current starter for Price, straight up. I can think of 4 or 5: Boston, New York, Nashville (maybe), LA, and Vancouver (maybe). Who else wouldn't? Honestly? How is that not elite? There are about 25 teams who would kill to have a guy like Price in net. Again, how is that not elite?

You don't simply replace what he bring to the table with a guy who has good starts in 30 games/season, or a hot run in the playoffs. Price is remarkably consistent from year to year, and is still one of the youngest starting netminders in the league. What is not to like about that?

The grass isn't always greener on the other side you know.
Price is already an elite goalie??? His biggest supporters would not dare say that.

Price is 23rd in the league in save % and that's only taking goalies who have played 10 or more games. If you take goalie who played 9 or more games then he's 27th! That's not elite. You deal with it!

Price has a .906 save % in the playoffs ...again how is that elite?

Price has won 1 career playoff series? How is that elite?

Price has no nominations for a Vezina? How is that elite?

Price has not won any award in the NHL other than the useless Molson Cup. How is that elite?

He's solid but no where close to elite.

Price has stolen 1 game this year against NJD, I expect more from a 6.5 M $, 10% of our cap (next year) goalie/

Traitor8 is offline  
Old
04-13-2013, 12:15 PM
  #435
Traitor8
Registered User
 
Traitor8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Iraq
Posts: 4,854
vCash: 500
You see, it's very important to have answers to the questions I've asked because there are many different opinions.

Many people try to divide this board into "Price lovers" vs. "Price Haters" but it's not that simple. Within a group, you got guys like WeThreeKings who from what I understand (sorry if I got it wrong) are saying "he's very good but wait, the best is yet to come .." and guys like Ryanwb who say "The Wait is Over! He's here! He's elite!"

so which one is it? I don't believe WeThreeKings considers Price to be an elite goalie as we speak but he believes he will be.

Now on the "Price Haters" side, there are those who say he's just a solid goalie but we don't believe he will be elite (I put myself in that category) and there are others who say "Price is horrifying, trade him now"

I think we have to define our expectations of Carey Price. How do we define them? Well answer the questions i've asked. Ultimately though, Price's salary will come into consideration. A 6.5 M $ will have more pressure to perform and higher expectation that a 4 M $ goalie or a 2 M $ goalie.

Traitor8 is offline  
Old
04-13-2013, 12:26 PM
  #436
Noob616
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Cost View Post
Dude I don't know what to tell you your Sold on Price... your convinced hes the best goalie we can possibly have.

I know i'm usually right when it comes to goalies.. all great goalies (Roy, Brodeur, Hasek, Halak(2010), Theodore (vezina, hart year)) have something in common and its the passion/fire you see in their eyes, I rarely see that passion from Price and thats the main reason I don't like him, that and also because hes overrated.
I'm done with this. Paragraphs of logical arguments mean nothing to you because of Price's eyes

I just don't think you understand the realities of NHL goaltending in this era. There aren't tons of goalies who are above average any more. OUtside of Lundqvist, there is nobody who is hands down slam dunk better. There's other goalies where it's debatable, but other than Lundqvist there is nobody who you can point to and say "this guy is hands down better than Price".

Again, for the 3rd time, Price hasn't been good enough this season. Interestingly enough, a down year for him is still above the NHL average. Care to show me tons of other goalies who have bad years and still post a SVP% above the NHL average? They're very few in number.

Noob616 is offline  
Old
04-13-2013, 12:27 PM
  #437
Lebowski
Registered User
 
Lebowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,179
vCash: 500
One thing I've come to realize is that the team doesn't play the same way when it's Budaj in the net. Maybe it's because they feel less comfortable, but they usually play a much tighter game. Or maybe it's only because Budaj usually gets to play against weaker teams? It's not a knock on him, really, since he's been great ever since his slow start, but one have to wonder what's going on in the players head when Budaj plays, or what Therrien changes in the gameplan.

It's not that Price faces that many more shots (0,446 shots per minute, compared to 0,432 for Budaj), it just seems like he has to deal with more quality shots/chances of scoring. Now, from my experience as a goalie, albeit to a much lower level, I can already say that player tend to get sloppy when A. they know you're going to save their ass regardless or B. you keep on crapping the bed. Let's hope the players are more feeling like "A" coming into the playoffs with Price in the nets.

Also, my personnal take on Price is that he's at his best when he faces a lot of shots. I was the same way and in fact, most goalie will have a better SV% when they face a lot of shots. It keeps you involved in the game and by the look of Price, who seems like an overly calm guy in the nets, that might play a role in his sub-par stats this season.

In 2010-2011, when Price was somewhat in the conversation for the Vezina, he had a 0,510 shot avrage per minute, roughly 14,5% more than for this current season. The Habs were a bubble team that season, finishing 6th in the east with a mere +7 differential.

My theory, if we can call it that way, is that Price numbers will be strongly inflated if he faces strong competition in the playoffs (at least 30+ shots a game constantly).

Now all the number I just brought up could only be a strange string of coincidences, but from my point of view, and taking all things into account, I think that explains why Price has seemed a bit underwhelming this season. People hold against him that he hasn't stole games for us, but with the way the team is playing, he doesn't have as many occasions to steal games as he had in the past.

Lebowski is online now  
Old
04-13-2013, 01:12 PM
  #438
Carey Cost*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 251
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob616 View Post
I'm done with this. Paragraphs of logical arguments mean nothing to you because of Price's eyes

I just don't think you understand the realities of NHL goaltending in this era. There aren't tons of goalies who are above average any more. OUtside of Lundqvist, there is nobody who is hands down slam dunk better. There's other goalies where it's debatable, but other than Lundqvist there is nobody who you can point to and say "this guy is hands down better than Price".

Again, for the 3rd time, Price hasn't been good enough this season. Interestingly enough, a down year for him is still above the NHL average. Care to show me tons of other goalies who have bad years and still post a SVP% above the NHL average? They're very few in number.
Then I realized by checking NHL.com Prcie isn't even a top 30 !! LOOL
http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...ercentage&pg=2

Carey Cost* is offline  
Old
04-13-2013, 01:14 PM
  #439
Carey Cost*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 251
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Cost View Post
Then I realized by checking NHL.com Prcie isn't even a top 30 !! LOOL
http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...ercentage&pg=2
But then I realised I had to take the goalies who played 10 games or less out of the ranks: top 24. Still hows this above avg?

Carey Cost* is offline  
Old
04-13-2013, 01:23 PM
  #440
ryanwb
Registered User
 
ryanwb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 863
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traitor8 View Post
Price is already an elite goalie??? His biggest supporters would not dare say that.
I just did. Price is an elite goaltender in the NHL.

Quote:
Price is 23rd in the league in save % and that's only taking goalies who have played 10 or more games. If you take goalie who played 9 or more games then he's 27th! That's not elite. You deal with it!
Look. If you want to use a small sample size, then sure, anyone can make Price's stats not look "elite". Why is 10 games your cut off? Why don't we base it on 30+ games? Shouldn't an elite goalie also be a starter? If you're such an elite goalie why would a team only have played you 9 or 10 games so far? When we cut it off at 30 games, Price is 9th out of 17 eligible netminders. Pretty good if you ask me, considering 5th is only .003 higher than Price.

Oh whats that? He has the 4th lowest GAA of goalies who have played 30 or more games? AND the 4th most wins? AND the 5th most shutouts? Sounds like he's in the top tier to me.

Quote:
Price has a .906 save % in the playoffs ...again how is that elite?
Dude. Price is 25. Most goaltenders are not starters at his age. His most recent playoff performance his sv% was .934, showing us that he is likely improving. Throw in the fact that he has been a winner at every level and you should likely give him the benefit of the doubt.

Quote:
Price has won 1 career playoff series? How is that elite?
Like I said. He's 25. Most goalies aren't starters before then. And he was playing in these playoff series when he was 23 or younger. How many goalies can you name that come into the NHL and have successful playoff runs at the same age? The number is so miniscule it isn't even worth mentioning. For every Patrick Roy and Ken Dryden there are a million who don't do anything of note in their first few years in the league.

Quote:
Price has no nominations for a Vezina? How is that elite?
There are approximately 60 goaltenders in the NHL at any given point in time. Price consistently (read: season to season) performs above average in almost all statistical categories.

Has he had a top 3 season yet? No. That doesn't make him not elite. There are probably around 55 other goaltenders who are in that boat, and Price is likely better than almost every single one of them.

Quote:
Price has not won any award in the NHL other than the useless Molson Cup. How is that elite?
Really? Henrik Lundqvist had no NHL awards when he was 25 either. Brodeur didn't win his first Vezina until he was 31! Hasek was 28. Kiprusoff was 29. Ryan Miller was 29. Just so you know, you can be an elite goaltender and not have any hardware to show for it.

Quote:
Price has stolen 1 game this year against NJD, I expect more from a 6.5 M $, 10% of our cap (next year) goalie/
This is obviously where we differ. I ignore a players cap hit when making my evaluation of him. It's not Price's fault that they gave him the big deal. Would you turn it down? It simply makes no sense to use that as the basis for my evaluation, because some players have a greater value than either their cap hit or their play on the ice would dictate.

That being said, Price does have a high cap hit, and he should indeed play like it. Which I think he does. I expect an elite goalie to give exactly what Price provides: an above average chance to win every single game he starts. That is elite to me. You might say he should have a higher save percentage or more awards to be considered elite, but I could care less about his personal stats and accolades, the team wins are most important.

There are very, very few goalies who have the consistent presence and stability that Price has in net, which results in a great chance of winning every single game he starts. How is that not elite?

ryanwb is offline  
Old
04-13-2013, 01:32 PM
  #441
Traitor8
Registered User
 
Traitor8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Iraq
Posts: 4,854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwb View Post
I just did. Price is an elite goaltender in the NHL.



Look. If you want to use a small sample size, then sure, anyone can make Price's stats not look "elite". Why is 10 games your cut off? Why don't we base it on 30+ games? Shouldn't an elite goalie also be a starter? If you're such an elite goalie why would a team only have played you 9 or 10 games so far? When we cut it off at 30 games, Price is 9th out of 17 eligible netminders. Pretty good if you ask me, considering 5th is only .003 higher than Price.

Oh whats that? He has the 4th lowest GAA of goalies who have played 30 or more games? AND the 4th most wins? AND the 5th most shutouts? Sounds like he's in the top tier to me.



Dude. Price is 25. Most goaltenders are not starters at his age. His most recent playoff performance his sv% was .934, showing us that he is likely improving. Throw in the fact that he has been a winner at every level and you should likely give him the benefit of the doubt.

Like I said. He's 25. Most goalies aren't starters before then. And he was playing in these playoff series when he was 23 or younger. How many goalies can you name that come into the NHL and have successful playoff runs at the same age? The number is so miniscule it isn't even worth mentioning. For every Patrick Roy and Ken Dryden there are a million who don't do anything of note in their first few years in the league.

There are approximately 60 goaltenders in the NHL at any given point in time. Price consistently (read: season to season) performs above average in almost all statistical categories.

Has he had a top 3 season yet? No. That doesn't make him not elite. There are probably around 55 other goaltenders who are in that boat, and Price is likely better than almost every single one of them.

Really? Henrik Lundqvist had no NHL awards when he was 25 either. Brodeur didn't win his first Vezina until he was 31! Hasek was 28. Kiprusoff was 29. Ryan Miller was 29. Just so you know, you can be an elite goaltender and not have any hardware to show for it.



This is obviously where we differ. I ignore a players cap hit when making my evaluation of him. It's not Price's fault that they gave him the big deal. Would you turn it down? It simply makes no sense to use that as the basis for my evaluation, because some players have a greater value than either their cap hit or their play on the ice would dictate.

That being said, Price does have a high cap hit, and he should indeed play like it. Which I think he does. I expect an elite goalie to give exactly what Price provides: an above average chance to win every single game he starts. That is elite to me. You might say he should have a higher save percentage or more awards to be considered elite, but I could care less about his personal stats and accolades, the team wins are most important.

There are very, very few goalies who have the consistent presence and stability that Price has in net, which results in a great chance of winning every single game he starts. How is that not elite?
9th out of 17 eligible goalie is not elite. It's called "AVERAGE" starter. Wins and GAA are team stats, not goalie stats. Niemi, Nabakov, Fleury have great amount of wins. Do you consider all of them to be "elite" as well?

Price has not had a top 3 season but he performs above average season to season ...ok fine ...but that's still considered elite, that's considered average to above average. Not Elite

You clearly don't know what "elite' means.

Weak comparaisons for goalies ...

Lundqvist was a 7th round pick. It's a miracle he even made it. He also didn't get payed 6.5 M $ at 25 either.

True Brodeur didn't win a Vezina until 31 but he had a stanley cup at 22-23, a jennings at 24-25.

Hasek ..again 10th round pick..he didn't get his chance until they traded him to Buffalo. Kiprusoff 5th round pick and again didn't get paid 10% of team's budget. Miller 5th round and he went to play in the NCAA.

You can't ignore his cap hit. Performance evaluations are directly in relation to how much you get paid. If Gomez was making 1 M $, he would still be on the team. If Cole was making 2.5 M $, he would still be on the team. If Price was making 2 M $, nobody would be whinning.

We HAVE to take his salary into consdieration because of the cap as well. At 6.5 M $, is he fulfilling requirements? The answer is NO! Can we better utilize this 6.5 $ ? The answer is YES.

If Wins is all you care about then Nabakov,Fleury, Niemi, Budaj (7-1-1), Emery are all elite!

Wow half the league is elite! What a great time we are in.

Traitor8 is offline  
Old
04-13-2013, 01:34 PM
  #442
Carey Cost*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 251
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
One thing I've come to realize is that the team doesn't play the same way when it's Budaj in the net. Maybe it's because they feel less comfortable, but they usually play a much tighter game. Or maybe it's only because Budaj usually gets to play against weaker teams? It's not a knock on him, really, since he's been great ever since his slow start, but one have to wonder what's going on in the players head when Budaj plays, or what Therrien changes in the gameplan.

It's not that Price faces that many more shots (0,446 shots per minute, compared to 0,432 for Budaj), it just seems like he has to deal with more quality shots/chances of scoring. Now, from my experience as a goalie, albeit to a much lower level, I can already say that player tend to get sloppy when A. they know you're going to save their ass regardless or B. you keep on crapping the bed. Let's hope the players are more feeling like "A" coming into the playoffs with Price in the nets.

Also, my personnal take on Price is that he's at his best when he faces a lot of shots. I was the same way and in fact, most goalie will have a better SV% when they face a lot of shots. It keeps you involved in the game and by the look of Price, who seems like an overly calm guy in the nets, that might play a role in his sub-par stats this season.

In 2010-2011, when Price was somewhat in the conversation for the Vezina, he had a 0,510 shot avrage per minute, roughly 14,5% more than for this current season. The Habs were a bubble team that season, finishing 6th in the east with a mere +7 differential.

My theory, if we can call it that way, is that Price numbers will be strongly inflated if he faces strong competition in the playoffs (at least 30+ shots a game constantly).

Now all the number I just brought up could only be a strange string of coincidences, but from my point of view, and taking all things into account, I think that explains why Price has seemed a bit underwhelming this season. People hold against him that he hasn't stole games for us, but with the way the team is playing, he doesn't have as many occasions to steal games as he had in the past.
It's still unacceptable when your team leads 3-0 or 2-0 to let the other team come back by giving 1-2 weak goals. You have to stay sharp all game long.

If Price needs 50 shots per game to be good then he literally sucks send him to Hamilton and bring Mayer up..

Btw the same excuse about the team playing better in front of Budaj than Price has been used with Halak vs Price era and its ridiculous. Its not like Price faces so many breakaways or 2 on 1's... Most goals he allows are coming from the point or "Pefect Shots" 9 feets distance.

Carey Cost* is offline  
Old
04-13-2013, 01:36 PM
  #443
icerocket
Registered User
 
icerocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Atlantis
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,316
vCash: 500
Wow people are still crapping on Price.

He isn't going anywhere so get over it and accept that he is the starting the goalie.

icerocket is offline  
Old
04-13-2013, 01:39 PM
  #444
Traitor8
Registered User
 
Traitor8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Iraq
Posts: 4,854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
Wow people are still crapping on Price.

He isn't going anywhere so get over it and accept that he is the starting the goalie.
Where do you see crapping?

I see people saying he's good but not great and I see others saying he is elite LOL

9/17 .... imagine having 9/17 in an exam at school. I can see it now "mommy, mommy, I got 9/17 in my exam, I'm ELITE!"

Traitor8 is offline  
Old
04-13-2013, 01:41 PM
  #445
icerocket
Registered User
 
icerocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Atlantis
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traitor8 View Post
Where do you see crapping?

I see people saying he's good but not great and I see others saying he is elite LOL

9/17 .... imagine having 9/17 in an exam at school. I can see it now "mommy, mommy, I got 9/17 in my exam, I'm ELITE!"
Ya playing hockey is exactly like taking an exam.

icerocket is offline  
Old
04-13-2013, 01:43 PM
  #446
NLHabsFan
Registered User
 
NLHabsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,550
vCash: 500
There is no goalie I would trade Price one-for-one with. I'm not ridiculous and think he is head and shoulders above everyone else. This isn't 20 years ago when goalies were ****. The level of goaltending in the NHL today is great. IMO, Lundqvist is the best in the world. But after him you can't make a list. I would be willing to bet that professionals in the NHL wouldn't come to an agreement on it either.

I hate when people compare stats of goalies that don't play anywhere near the same amount of time. Comparing goalies that play majority of the games to ones that play half or less is pointless. Whose to say they would keep up that pace if they had to play night in and night out like Price, Lundqvist, Rinne, Miller, etc. But change the list filter by games played, you'll see that there isn't a lot of separation amongst most of those goalies. Just be glad we have one that you can rely on.

NLHabsFan is offline  
Old
04-13-2013, 01:45 PM
  #447
Traitor8
Registered User
 
Traitor8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Iraq
Posts: 4,854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLHabsFan View Post
There is no goalie I would trade Price one-for-one with. I'm not ridiculous and think he is head and shoulders above everyone else. This isn't 20 years ago when goalies were ****. The level of goaltending in the NHL today is great. IMO, Lundqvist is the best in the world. But after him you can't make a list. I would be willing to bet that professionals in the NHL wouldn't come to an agreement on it either.

I hate when people compare stats of goalies that don't play anywhere near the same amount of time. Comparing goalies that play majority of the games to ones that play half or less is pointless. Whose to say they would keep up that pace if they had to play night in and night out like Price, Lundqvist, Rinne, Miller, etc. But change the list filter by games played, you'll see that there isn't a lot of separation amongst most of those goalies. Just be glad we have one that you can rely on.
You wouldn't trade Price for Lundqvist ?

Traitor8 is offline  
Old
04-13-2013, 01:46 PM
  #448
Traitor8
Registered User
 
Traitor8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Iraq
Posts: 4,854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
Ya playing hockey is exactly like taking an exam.
No but the definition of elite doesn't change..

You are at the 50th percentile, then you are NOT elite no matter what it is you do ..whether it's hockey, office job, taking an exam, running a marathon,

50th percentile is NOT elite!

Traitor8 is offline  
Old
04-13-2013, 01:47 PM
  #449
Carey Cost*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 251
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLHabsFan View Post
There is no goalie I would trade Price one-for-one with. I'm not ridiculous and think he is head and shoulders above everyone else. This isn't 20 years ago when goalies were ****. The level of goaltending in the NHL today is great. IMO, Lundqvist is the best in the world. But after him you can't make a list. I would be willing to bet that professionals in the NHL wouldn't come to an agreement on it either.

I hate when people compare stats of goalies that don't play anywhere near the same amount of time. Comparing goalies that play majority of the games to ones that play half or less is pointless. Whose to say they would keep up that pace if they had to play night in and night out like Price, Lundqvist, Rinne, Miller, etc. But change the list filter by games played, you'll see that there isn't a lot of separation amongst most of those goalies. Just be glad we have one that you can rely on.
Yep Budaj... 15 points out of 18

I'm glad we have a backup goalie that we can 100% rely on

Carey Cost* is offline  
Old
04-13-2013, 01:49 PM
  #450
icerocket
Registered User
 
icerocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Atlantis
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Cost View Post
Then I realized by checking NHL.com Prcie isn't even a top 30 !! LOOL
http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...ercentage&pg=2
Wow really only using SV%? LOL

icerocket is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.